8.3

1. Nov 26, 2014
    I’m happy to report everything positive from the first Theatrhythm game was enhanced in Curtain Call and many shortcomings were improved upon (read my review of the first game for more info). First off: only buy this game if you are a huge fan of Final Fantasy or music games in general. Second off: if you are a huge FF junkie, should you buy a 3DS just to play this? Not by itself, but ifI’m happy to report everything positive from the first Theatrhythm game was enhanced in Curtain Call and many shortcomings were improved upon (read my review of the first game for more info). First off: only buy this game if you are a huge fan of Final Fantasy or music games in general. Second off: if you are a huge FF junkie, should you buy a 3DS just to play this? Not by itself, but if there are other 3DS games out there you’ve wanted to play, Curtain Call could be the final nudge you need. Third, here are some points on what was and wasn’t improved upon:

- Repetition is still there, but not nearly as bad as it was. The “dark note” system received an overhaul and is now “quest mode”. Previously you would grind the same two songs repeatedly for either XP or a certain color of crystal shard. Quest mode gives you more songs and better rewards. Plus you always get a new quest when you beat one.

- Less crystal shards required to unlock characters. In the first game, every character took 8 shards to unlock and you’d never get more than one shard at a time. In Curtain Call, some require as few as 4 shards to unlock and you can choose between 4-5 different characters per shard color! You also often get several shards at a time for quest and rhythmia collection rewards.

- Deep cuts. There are tons of songs and characters before you think about DLC. Even FF Mystic Quest and Advent Children are included! There are a huge amount of tracks for the game to insert into the quests which, again, reduces the repetition.

- More freedom with how to play. You can choose most tracks right off the bat and can play them one at a time rather than having to play three in a row from a certain game.

- There are different input methods. I don’t remember this being an option in the first game. Instead of having to use the stylus for everything, you can also incorporate buttons, the circle pad, or even use a one-handed mode. Good stuff.

- No cut-off tracks. A few songs from the first game skipped cool intro parts, like FFX’s Battle With Seymour or FFVI’s Dancing Mad. Not the case in the sequel. The full songs are here for your enjoyment, or at least I have not encountered any cut offs yet.

- Online play is killer. Yes, you can play people head-to-head through the internets, not just locally via wifi. This is a really cool option. Even if you get your butt handed to you by some dude in Japan who has maxed all his characters and can play each song with his eyes closed, you still exchange the streetpass profi-cards which are great because you can attach quest maps to them. If you have a particularly good map, you can share it with others. The only problem you may have is finding someone online at the same time as you who wants to play. It may require some waiting.

- More uses for the collecta cards. They can now be used to improve your character stats. Still haven’t played with this much, but it’s neat.

- There is DLC available, but you don't feel like Squeenix cut corners on main game content in order to bilk you. The first game kinda felt like that as it left out some awesome tracks.

Bottom line is this is that Curtain Call is a must-play game for Final Fantasy fans. You can safely skip the first game.
  2. Sep 18, 2014
    Awesomely addictive game. So many characters to level / abilities to lock/ songs to get/ the list goes on. It's def a hard game to put down, I always want to play just one more song.
  3. Sep 20, 2014
    I've never played a Final Fantasy game. Ever. But that doesn't seem to matter, because Theatrythm is too good to pass up. I picked it up on a whim and now my thumbs are numb and my eyes hurt from playing so much. Get this game.
  4. Sep 17, 2014
    It definitely improved from the original and the abundance of new songs added and the new versus mode is certainly plenty to justify the price if you already have the original. While some songs still cut off early like in the original, with so many songs, I really don't mind that much this time around. If you love Final Fantasy and it's music, get it now!
  5. Sep 17, 2014
    Now this game is NOT for everybody because its basically a fan service but It is a great one so far. if you have been playing final fantasy in your childhood or have been playing since snes it will give you nostalgia and make you remember the good times when you were stuck and finally made it trough or some stuff like that. I give a 10/10 just because of the nostalgia factor.
  6. Oct 3, 2014
    This game is hard to put down. The filters in this game are great. There is so much fan service and love in this game! 8.5/10

It also comes with a music CD =)
  7. Feb 25, 2015
    good game and i loved the RIDICULOUS number of songs/characters the game comes boxed with but some of the graphics actualy made me ill during my playing it. in particular this would be the rainbow during the regular songs and the tilting screen during the airship songs.

if you are visualy sensitive be aware of these features otherwise buy away!
  8. Sep 17, 2015
    If you love the Uematsu music, go a buy this rythim game, push the right bottom on the right moment and you are on the other side, beatufil background will join you on your adventure, con. well that's all the game

1. Nov 25, 2014
    Curtain Call is a rhythm game filled with artful nostalgia, but elements like the Quests elevate it beyond enjoyable pandering.
  2. Nov 11, 2014
    Its enormous musical selection means that any dedicated player will easily spend over one hundred hours trying to unlock everything and among the rhythm and music genre, this is an indispensable buy.
  3. Oct 26, 2014
    With gameplay limited to simple taps and swipes, I realize that only a niche group of people would enjoy the time spent here, and honestly, I don't feel as though Curtain Call is a complete game—I prefer to think of it as an interactive music player.