Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward 3DS

8.8

1. Sep 9, 2016
    Overrated adventure game. Maybe kids might find it interesting, but having played many classic adventure games, i find this a very bad game and a waste of time:

1) The story is bad. Sure, you can have multiple endings, but this doesn't matter when the story is childish. Anime fans might like it more 2) Gameplay is easy, the puzzles are really easy with a few exceptions. There is

2) Gameplay is easy, the puzzles are really easy with a few exceptions. There is nothing to really challenge you in this game

3) The game is tedious. It takes very long to read all the text and proceed the game, and the easy puzzles just serve to pad the game time and nothing more. Add to that a story that is totally uninteresting, and you have a disaster in your hands that you have no reason to bother with.

Totally overrated by the typical weeaboo cult who swallows anything japanese without question. Save your money and time.
  2. Mar 7, 2017
    fun until you realize the characters are flat, boring, and predictable and also the game relies on RNG puzzles. not fun at all. the same problems from the first game are present here again
  3. Feb 2, 2014
    I loved this game and could not lay my 3DS aside. I just wanted to know more, solve more puzzles, and feel the thrill of this absolutely awesome story. Every NPC feels lie a real intelligent human being with his/her own emotions and opinions. I would say it is the best 3DS game I have played so far,

IF this game had no bugs. I was playing the game for approximately 15 hours when I had the known savegame crushing bug, which I was not aware of. Since the game is quite old, I expected it to be free of bugs, especially of game-breaking ones like this one.
    I read some news considering this bug, after It occured and there are even messages telling, that this bug has been fixes in the eShop version of the game. This is NOT the case. They say that they couldn't trace the bug down, but they could at least insert some pop-up warning like "Don't save in escape mode!" or something similar. Also there was no warning in the Nintendo eShop description. I cannot tell how disappointed I am.

Before the bug occurred I would judge a 10/10 without hesitation. Now I am just sad and lost the whole fun I had with this game. It is a shame that after market services for Nintendo products are almost nonexistend. .
  4. Jul 19, 2015
    I understand the reasons people like this game. I could not disagree more.

I understand the reasons people like this game. I could not disagree more.

This game is not really a "game" per se as it is an interactive novel. A horribly slow moving, boring novel. The dialogue is unskippable so you can't get moving if you're a quick reader and just want to get on with it already. The story is not good. Sure, there's a few insane plot twists at the end that you won't see coming, but you'll have to wait 30 hours or so to get there. If you're into good stories, go read a manga. Here's two recommendations to get you started: Tokyo Ghoul and Attack on Titan (heard of it?). Sitting through this story is worse than getting waterboarded.

Let's talk about the puzzles section. Good lord, this was not fun. This is the only real "game" part of this game. I even looked up the solutions so I wouldn't have to deal with it any longer as the whole process is endlessly cumbersome. Don't save your game and exit while you're in these puzzle sections or you could destroy your save file and have to start from scratch. Where's the promised patch to fix this? It's not coming. That's a load of BS right there.

I'm glad so many people find joy in this game... I just wish there was someone to say the things I'm saying so I wouldn't have had to waste my time.

If you're looking for a good, engaging story. This is NOT it.
  5. Apr 12, 2013
    Fun up until the point it freezes, corrupts your save data, and makes you start all the way over from the beginning. DO NOT play this game on the 3DS if you value your time and money.

1. Apr 12, 2013
    If written words don't scare you, Virtue's Last Reward is one of the best interactive books to date. Chunsoft's game mixes a great narrative with the hardest moral choices you can find in a game. Will you be a traitor or a betrayed?
  2. Mar 14, 2013
    If you want a suspenseful crime story with sci-fi flair, dramatic conflicts and puzzles that are as varied as they are challenging, look no further. This is a grand adventure.
  3. Mar 6, 2013
    It’s a near flawless narrative experience wrapped in a bog-standard but necessary adventure game.