Bangai-O Dreamcast
9.0

1. MouseZ.
    Feb 25, 2002
    Alright, when I first saw this game in stores, I saw the huge robot and said "It's about time the Dreamcast got a robot game." Popped a look on the back, saw explosions everywhere, thought that was pretty dang cool. So I bought it. I have to admit, when I first started playing and saw the 2D graphics I was a little disappointed. However, once I got used to the somewhat akward Alright, when I first saw this game in stores, I saw the huge robot and said "It's about time the Dreamcast got a robot game." Popped a look on the back, saw explosions everywhere, thought that was pretty dang cool. So I bought it. I have to admit, when I first started playing and saw the 2D graphics I was a little disappointed. However, once I got used to the somewhat akward controls and figured out what I was doing; I played for hours on end just nuking everything in site. If you have a Dreamcast and are in need of a good arcade style game, this is seriously the best game to buy. Don't let the 2D bring you down, the way it's done it has a beauty of its own. Expand
  2. DanH.
    Sep 1, 2001
    Bangai-O is one of the greatest games to come out this year purely because of the fact that it is unique compared to the load of pretty-but-shallow games that are released in such large quantities these days. I highly recommend picking this up, as there probably won't be another game quite like Bangai-O for a long time (if ever, as Treasure has decided to jump over to the 3d Bangai-O is one of the greatest games to come out this year purely because of the fact that it is unique compared to the load of pretty-but-shallow games that are released in such large quantities these days. I highly recommend picking this up, as there probably won't be another game quite like Bangai-O for a long time (if ever, as Treasure has decided to jump over to the 3d bandwagon with their latest game, "Stretch Panic"). Collapse
  3. JamieB.
    Jul 27, 2002
    Treasure has done it again. This is the antidote to overhyped big budget games, simply put, it's gameplay over graphics (although they are fine) - and in response to the bad translation charge by Josh B, read the plot, it gets quite disturbing as the game reaches it's finale.
  4. JoshB.
    Jun 27, 2001
    Bangai-0 could have been one of the best. Instead it's only slightly above average. The horrible English translation makes the story utterly confusing and pointless. The game IS a lot of fun, for the first 10 levels or so. It quickly becomes repetitive with over 40 levels and the game begins to feel a lot like "Rampage World Tour."
  5. CloudB.
    Aug 24, 2001
    This game kicks...who needs graphics when the game is fun?
  6. PeterH.
    Jan 10, 2002
    Hey, its about time us old skool gamers got something good, that lousy third dimension screwed up so many games, people are getting way too obsessed with graphics and storyline, what really matters here is the explosive gameplay and the addiction that follows. Ive been playing it for a while now and right now me and my friends are seeing who can get the high score! ahhh, it brings back memories.
  7. AndyP.
    Aug 2, 2002
    This is the greatest Dreamcast game - unbelievable shooting action - I would never have thought 2D on next gen consoles would be so appealing.
  8. Fighter17
    Dec 25, 2004
    Great game, a lot of slow-downs. But I really don't care.

1. We're hoping that by reading Gamestyle you're at least a little more interested in how good the actual game is rather than purely the aesthetics. Rest assured, then, that Bangai-O is brilliant.
  2. Games like this, where the graphics take a back seat to the gameplay, are few and far between these days, but Treasure, much like Sega, knows that gameplay is everything.
    40+ friggin levels! 40 LEVELS! And there's something really addicting when you combine frenzied shooting and fruit collecting together.