Shenmue II

Dreamcast
9.4

1. DavidD.
    Jun 5, 2006
    Nothing compares to shenmue, It's the pinnacle of gaming. An Instant classic, and woe be the competitor games that fall terribly short of yu suzuki's eternal mark on the world of gaming.
  2. MikeT.
    Feb 4, 2002
    It's too good to be on the x-box!!!
  3. NeofitosO
    Jun 8, 2009
    Brilliant from start to finish.I Play many games and this game is my best i ever play is like adream is fantastic.I buy XBOX only for this game and i am happy to make that because SHENMUE 2 is brilliant game that i would never forget.10/10
  4. AdamE.
    Nov 20, 2002
    Shenmue 2 is without a shadow of a doubt the best game ever made. Shenmue 1 was easier and shorter but it had its charm. Shenmue2 has more action and a fourth CD that is just brilliantly made.
    Mar 20, 2002
    Radical!!! 100% awsome!!!! Nothing wrong about it!!!
  6. IanS.
    Apr 7, 2003
    F..k all those bitches who hate Shenmue. I found it to be orgasmic.
  7. Tekke
    Jun 22, 2005
    Shenmue-step into another reality!
  8. PeetC.
    Nov 21, 2006
    Despite the someimes odd dialogue and constant load time, it is the most immersive, entertaining experience in gaming.
  9. HuguesB.
    Feb 3, 2006
    Really good sequel, if you loved the first one you won't be desapointed. If dreamcast version is hard to find, Xbox got it.
  10. DustyDonotworry
    May 21, 2003
    I have it for the xbox and part 1 for th DC. I have not found a game that comes close to how fun and great Shenmue games are. I can't wait for part 3.
  11. PeterW.
    Oct 27, 2004
    Awesome,one of the greatest games i have ever played.....a masterpeice.cant wait for the third instalment, if it ever comes.
  12. DanielC.
    Feb 11, 2006
    The best foreign game that i have played.
  13. BrianM.
    Nov 9, 2007
    The second best game ever made, the first being Shenmue. Absolutely amazing. Words can't describe it.
  14. BobMarley
    Dec 15, 2001
    This game was awesome... i loved it man!
  15. Sep 18, 2011
    easily the best game ever produced. even though it had its flaws, it was simply revolutionary in many aspects. most importantly of course the back then STUNNING graphics. i remember when i was watching one of those 320x240 clips of the intro before it was released and somebody was standing a couple of feet away and asked "what movie is that?". i watched that clip again and again foreasily the best game ever produced. even though it had its flaws, it was simply revolutionary in many aspects. most importantly of course the back then STUNNING graphics. i remember when i was watching one of those 320x240 clips of the intro before it was released and somebody was standing a couple of feet away and asked "what movie is that?". i watched that clip again and again for probably half an hour, drooling.
    and then the open world concept, the overall cinematic feeling, all the little things one could do, the epic feeling of the story, the incredibly well-done fighting system (i was skeptical whether it would work well at first but it really did...), the music which was just as beautiful as the graphics...
    it was just amazing and i'm afraid i will never experience anything like it ever again in my lifetime. graphics these days suck in comparison (obviously always in respect to current times) and the scope of games is fairly minuscule. from a pure conceptual point of view, i guess one could compare GTA to it. but there, the graphics and story are lacking.
  16. Mar 26, 2011
    Quite simply the greatest game ever made. Amazing story, amazing characters, great gameplay and graphics. Something truly special. Worth buying a Dreamcast just for this one game.
  17. Apr 19, 2013
    Overall, Shenmue is without doubt in my opinion the finest game ever made. Quite how Shenmue 1 and 2 stack up to one another is unclear to me, as they are both breathtaking and outstanding in their own ways.

It's simply magical. It's hard to truly do this game justice with words, but it is an immersive, exciting, poetic and captivating experience that you will most likely remember and take with you forever.

Do yourself a favour and play Shenmue, you won't regret it!
  18. Apr 10, 2015
    Possibly the greatest gaming experience you will ever have. Shenmue 1 was a good build-up and prologue (and an amazing game), but Shenmue 2 simply blows it out of the water. The environments, gameplay, storytelling, and character development are second to none. Once I started my first playthrough I could hardly put down the controller. The game hardly has a dull moment, and if you canPossibly the greatest gaming experience you will ever have. Shenmue 1 was a good build-up and prologue (and an amazing game), but Shenmue 2 simply blows it out of the water. The environments, gameplay, storytelling, and character development are second to none. Once I started my first playthrough I could hardly put down the controller. The game hardly has a dull moment, and if you can survive the relentless quick time events, it's an absolute blast. I just wish Sega would wise up and find a way to bring us the next two or three games. Expand
  19. May 25, 2016
    It's kinda sad that its been nearly 15 years since SEGA started throwing in the towel and discontinues not only the Dreamcast, but buried in the home console market and the dream just nearly died too soon. Even though I haven't even own a Dreamcast, but I was floored by playing a criminally under-appreciated RPG game that's stands the test of time. And that game was Shenmue. No, notIt's kinda sad that its been nearly 15 years since SEGA started throwing in the towel and discontinues not only the Dreamcast, but buried in the home console market and the dream just nearly died too soon. Even though I haven't even own a Dreamcast, but I was floored by playing a criminally under-appreciated RPG game that's stands the test of time. And that game was Shenmue. No, not Shenmue II (Get it right, Metacritic. Shenmue is only available for the OG XBOX console), just the original Shenmue. It was eventually become the Dreamcasts last gasp at creating a world like I've never seen before. I fell in love with this game as much as everyone does. Not only I enjoyed the peaceful soundtrack, but an lists of jaw-dropping graphics, a Final Fantasy-ish story that is perfect, the gameplay was so special in my view, outlandish characters and a blended amount of hype that made series creator Yu Suzuki very proud and very sad on how developing a long hard cycle for the game that has took a long time to build and it went through development hell just after Shenmue II because fans desperately wants serious questions why an announcement to Shenmue III never happened. I also give a extra praise to AM2 for adding new features that had to be played online by using an somewhat obscure Dreamcast keyboard and mouse so that you can chat with so many players online and QTE (quick time events) is entirely focuses on the player has to choose right or wrong decisions to make sure you are keeping track in progress. It's a gifted open-world adventure that keeps pushing us together and as of today, several open-world games continue to buck the trend after Shenmue (which continues to feature an outpouring of support by fans around the world despite the Dreamcast's short-lived lifespan). Let's face it! GTA III, Fallout's 3 and 4, Bioshock, Skyrim, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy VII, the originator of the open-world genre, both Ultima and Myst, Super Mario 64, and The Legend of Zelda. And don't forget No Man's Sky for the PS4 is coming up soon and so does E3 2016.

I know SEGA is in rough shape right now, but I got to thinking if they were be able to breath new life and announce a big comeback in the console market, I would love to see a Dreamcast 2 in the future. Good news: now that the Kickstater campaign was a huge success, my prediction at E3 will be an announcement to the most anticipated games of the century, Shenmue III, to be announced in 2017 and l wish it could be a unaminous GOTY contender. Please SEGA, make an Shenmue I and II HD Remaster for me? I'm gonna be so tearfully joyed.
  20. Nov 21, 2013
    This is a game that took me beyond, it has no rival to date.
    I played this on the Dreamcast when it first came out, I was a lad back then, and wow, the sheer scope, the advancement in gameplay and graphics, it hit me deep and hard, and brings me joy and great memories to this day.
    An amazing game that is unforgettable.
  21. Mar 19, 2012
    unique, a masterpiece of gaming
  22. Jun 28, 2012
    This game brings me back. The dreamcast was such a great little console and this game is true the consoles defining gem. The game world is highly interactive and oozes atmosphere. The storyline and music and top quality. The acting and dialog is a bit campy, but done in true Sega spirit. This game needs to get remastered on HD consoles. Along with Shenmue II.
  23. Oct 27, 2012
    I'm keeping this one short,I can sum this game up in 3 words,BEST GAME....EVER!!!From the moment I started playing this gem at 1st the visuals blew me away,then it went on to have the most ingrossing storys in gaming,& the fact that you could just pop into your local arcade & actually play arcade perfect versions of Outrun,Space Harrier & Afterburner 2 was just showing off!Every gamerI'm keeping this one short,I can sum this game up in 3 words,BEST GAME....EVER!!!From the moment I started playing this gem at 1st the visuals blew me away,then it went on to have the most ingrossing storys in gaming,& the fact that you could just pop into your local arcade & actually play arcade perfect versions of Outrun,Space Harrier & Afterburner 2 was just showing off!Every gamer worth thier salt needs to experience Shenmue,simple as that. Expand
  24. Nov 13, 2012
    Shenmue 1 is at the top of my favourite games of all time. Once I picked the controller up, I couldn't put it down until the game ended. There is so much to do, I used to spend hours upon hours in the YOU Arcade, collecting toys, buying sodas trying to get a winning can.. Ah, memories. The story is extremely engaging & immersive, the world is absolutely stunning and it's the first game toShenmue 1 is at the top of my favourite games of all time. Once I picked the controller up, I couldn't put it down until the game ended. There is so much to do, I used to spend hours upon hours in the YOU Arcade, collecting toys, buying sodas trying to get a winning can.. Ah, memories. The story is extremely engaging & immersive, the world is absolutely stunning and it's the first game to use dynamic-weather in a 3D world. This game was ahead of it's time, and laid the foundation for many current-gen games. If you love video games, japanese culture, or just love an adventure, don't look any further than Shenmue. Expand
  25. May 25, 2015
    It was the best interactive experience of all time when it came out, and still is today. What Shenmue had achieved in 2001 is still unmatched as of today.
  26. May 4, 2015
    Shenmue 2 is a fantastic game which was well ahead of its time. The most stunning aspect of the game is its sheer detail; for example, you can enter pretty much enter every building and every apartment/room in those buildings. The music is memorable, the graphics are great for the time and the pacing issues of the first game are solved and it is far more action-packed. Highly recommendedShenmue 2 is a fantastic game which was well ahead of its time. The most stunning aspect of the game is its sheer detail; for example, you can enter pretty much enter every building and every apartment/room in those buildings. The music is memorable, the graphics are great for the time and the pacing issues of the first game are solved and it is far more action-packed. Highly recommended for anyone who owns a Dreamcast. Expand
  27. Mar 5, 2015
    In this players humble opinion, the greatest video game ever created. Yu Suzuki's brainchild, Shenmue 1 and 2 was a work of art , and came very close to simulating a young Japanese man's life and struggles in the late 80's. The innovation was staggering....It was an archetype for many features we see in gaming today, including QTE's, weather effects (weather was randomized and actualIn this players humble opinion, the greatest video game ever created. Yu Suzuki's brainchild, Shenmue 1 and 2 was a work of art , and came very close to simulating a young Japanese man's life and struggles in the late 80's. The innovation was staggering....It was an archetype for many features we see in gaming today, including QTE's, weather effects (weather was randomized and actual recorded weather forecasts were used), interactivity etc. It propelled the medium to new heights and left a lasting impression on those that had the privilege to play it. Although it was a financial failure, and left the world with a whimper, it was an attempt to defy the tested the tried principles of gaming mechanics and transcend the boundaries of video gaming as a whole.

The atmosphere was just off the charts. You could start chatting with just about anyone, and you truly felt like you were part of a living, breathing world. You could visit an arcade , collect toys , feed kittens or just hang out at the soda machine and gulp down fizzy drinks all day. Later , you could participate in arm wrestling matches with Spanish men that oozed machismo, or take a load off and play a round of darts with a snobbish mustachio dude. The world was yours to discover and manipulate as you saw fit. The variety in gameplay methods never allowed the game itself to drag on, the sheer quantity of things to do and places to go could keep you busy for hours. There were easter eggs like obtaining a sega saturn game or participating in duck racing. Ahh, the memories.

The graphics were unparalleled at the time. The Dreamcast's 200mhz (or so) processor was tested to it's limits, everything was thrown at it except the proverbial kitchen sink, but it did not falter and other than a few areas (pigeon park) where the frame rate would slow to a crawl, the game ran smoothly. The orchestral score and in game music were also memorable , from the opening prologue and Lan Di's enigmatic entrance scene to the tomato convenience store theme (best jingle evah!).

Yu Suzuki and his team poured their souls into this game, it's just a damn shame that there will probably never be a deserved conclusion to this masterpiece.
  28. Apr 5, 2014
    Made by Yu Suzuki, creator of the renowned Virtue Fighter franchise. This game offers similar in depth fighting, but adds open world exploration with loads of interactive stuff to collect and mess around with.
    Its depressing SEGA has not released HD remasters for modern platforms.
    Its depressing SEGA has not released HD remasters for modern platforms.
    Truly this series has grown legendary and if it released would cause a huge mass hysteria amongst the growing fan base.
  29. May 25, 2015
    Those who played shenmue, surely will put this game on their top ten list of "best games of all time"!!! Don't know if the current generation will love this game, but I am sure that a remastered edition and eventually Shenmue 3 would bring happiness to a legion of fans.
  30. Dec 17, 2017
    Simply. The. Best. Game. Ever. Made. .

#2 Most Discussed Dreamcast Game of 2001
#2 Most Shared Dreamcast Game of 2001

1. The big improvement for me is that everything is a lot less linear then before; it really does feel that your actions directly influence Ryo’s progress through the adventure.
  2. I loved Shenmue. But as great as I thought that game was, nothing could have prepared me for Shenmue II.
  3. Shenmue II is so much better than its predecessor, refining nearly every aspect of the original. It's a polished game that serves as a showcase for the DC and the evolution of the RPG genre, and fans should definitely find a way to play it.