• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 13, 2000
9.0

1. Joonathan Sellers
    Mar 18, 2005
    I know this game is like 5 years old but i still play it like i just got it yesterday.
  2. Todd
    Jul 12, 2002
    This game is probably the best RPG ever made, and may never be surpassed. Play it, experience it, and live it. You won't regret it.
  3. christopher turner
    Jan 9, 2002
    A VERY good RPG... Story is well done, character designs are endearing, but the real strength of the game is the dungeon design, which is EXTREMELY well done.
  4. Robert Blurb
    Nov 7, 2005
    Great game, bought for my son and spend more time playing it than him
  5. Rodney Giandalia
    Jun 10, 2002
    Best game out of the whole dreamcasts library. Not only are the normal rpg elements are here but the islands and ship battles really add alot of flare to the whole game.
  6. steph f
    Oct 31, 2006
    this is the best game of all time.
  7. Jul 12, 2012
    While you get to watch every character in your party develop over time from your typical spiky haired RPG protagonists to characters with such astounding depth and complexity that you can't help but smile nowing that it was your hands that guided them towards such a path. The characters that you come across are equally as robust and interesting, with each step forward you discoverWhile you get to watch every character in your party develop over time from your typical spiky haired RPG protagonists to characters with such astounding depth and complexity that you can't help but smile nowing that it was your hands that guided them towards such a path. The characters that you come across are equally as robust and interesting, with each step forward you discover something new. And unlike too many RPG's now days unfortunately every bit of dialog is intriguing and showcased in such a manner that actually makes you care about what goes on in this world. Every location that you traverse in this game is slightly more diverse than the last. That is because in the land of skies different continents from all over the world were levitated into the stratosphere. You will explore the native jungle of Ixa taka, submerge yourself in an underwater cave inside a volcano in the Asian Continent of Yafutoma or the dessert like region of Nasr. Every location in this game is incredibly detailed, and although a bit Stereotypical at some points bursting with liveliness. Though for me it was the more subtle moments of this game that I enjoyed the most and brought it to life. A palace that was frozen in a continent which had been abandoned for thousands of years, or an isle in the middle of no ware that at first seems to provide nothing more than a starting point for your adventure that will later on play a key role in the overarching plot of the game. Many people might not be able to enjoy these desolate environments, but for me this game's lack of on screen action at certain points is very similar to the lack of action in games such as Shadow of the colossus, sometimes it's the lack of a certain something that fills in the void with something else. The player's imagination is the true guiding light for Vse Inglebard and his crew. The game dares you to explore new places take risks when risks are needed, and although the game is scripted so that everything will happen the way the programmers intended the limited amount of dialog that you are given to chose from topped off with excellent presentation as well as facial and hand gestures make Skies feel as genuine and interactive as any open world non scripted game. These incredibly well scripted moments truly are the driving force behind progressing through the game. In one instance I was given a choice to either comfort a girl in my party by either talking to her or just putting my arm around her as we both gazed up into the night sky. But the gameplay is far from simply interacting with others and piloting your ship. The battle system is a fresh take on your typical turn based system. Rather than have you and your partners in a straight line facing your enemies you and your crew are spread throughout the deck of your ship or ground or wherever the battle takes place and depending on your position you can attack different enemies. either with your regular attacks, or by charging up your focus gauge to unleash horrific and beautiful techniques that will take up the entire screen for an epic presentation that would make any other RPG protagonist just a little jealous.
    On top of that the game also features a weakness/strength system. You have 6 different colors to chose from all of which are strong or weak against an enemy depending on that foes traits. It's sort of like a six-way rock paper scissors war, only don't depend on your weapons attributes to much because you still have a hefty amount of foes that you have to face off against and sometimes taking the time to figure out what enemies are weak against what can take time that you don't have, especially against the bosses. Your best bet against them would be to use your neutral weapons that don't have any color or if you really want to risk it have one or two of your strongest teammates use different weapon attributes while the others stay on the sideline ready to heal your partners if and when they've suffered enough damage. How you enter a battle and what tactics you should use are the driving points in the game just like any good RPG should be. You could always rely on luck hoping that the attributes that you give your weapons are a perfect match for the enemies weakness, but truly skilled players will only rely on that as a last resort. On top of the regular battles you will also partake in mandatory ship battles. These battles take place on a 4X4 grid each of your teammates selects a move that they want to use and when to use it. To help increase your ships potential during these fights you can recruit over 30 people from around the world who's specialties include increasing your ships primary attack power, secondary attack power, resistance to magic, resistance to physical damage etc etc. At some point this may seem to feel like information overkill but after you've invested about 40 hours or so into the game it starts to feel like second nature.
  8. Oct 29, 2013
    Story and game-play are on the elite level, the characters are memorable, the plot is thoroughly thought out. Aside from the great combat system, this game goes even further and gives you an amazing ship to ship battle system, this is perhaps the best and most entertaining side-challenge in an RPG I've ever seen. There is the annoyance of the lack of direction, it sometimes becomes a choreStory and game-play are on the elite level, the characters are memorable, the plot is thoroughly thought out. Aside from the great combat system, this game goes even further and gives you an amazing ship to ship battle system, this is perhaps the best and most entertaining side-challenge in an RPG I've ever seen. There is the annoyance of the lack of direction, it sometimes becomes a chore to navigate the many places, but the the game makes up for it with everything else, this is a juggernaut and a must have for RPG fans everywhere. Expand
  9. Feb 8, 2014
    One of the most innovative, unique and engaging RPGs I have ever played. I had hoOne of the most innovative, unique and engaging RPGs I have ever played. This game is so different to other RPGs that it deserves more attention; clearly plenty of work was put into this game, from the music, to the settings and story.
  10. Chelsey Wright
    Jan 28, 2007
    I loved this game! If there was such a thing as Air Pirates, I would be one. A Blue Rogue. This game had alot of unsuspecting turns and events, and it also had a great plot.
    I would recommend this game to any RPG Fan, and those who love Pirates! ^^
  11. chris ramsay
    Jul 16, 2002
    I think that skies of arcadia is the best game I ever played in my entire life.I like the part where you try to find crew members.I'm still on the first disk
  12. Luke S
    Feb 21, 2007
    Where the devil is the next-generation sequel to this? This game is/was amazing.
  13. Boris …
    Apr 23, 2007
    Best RPG EVER!!!
  14. Eternum
    May 3, 2002
    I won't help for me to try and explain how good the game is, cos i can't. Just buy it!!
  15. Bob H
    Nov 18, 2007
    I was warned when starting this game that there is a point in the story where the player finds himself unable to put down the controller and is compelled to play for maybe an eight-hour stretch. I find that to be true every time I play.
    Skies is the greatest game I've ever played. If you can't lay hold of it on Dreamcast, the GameCube version is a nearly-perfect port with added side quests and backstory (and faster load time). Anyone who has ever played an RPG should play this game.
  16. Philip Vasto
    Dec 17, 2007
    Personally,it's the best turn-based RPG that I've ever played. Great story,lovable characters,and a wonderfully orchestrated soundtrack make you wonder why a sequel never came out.
  17. Derek Sandoval
    Feb 2, 2008
    BEST GAME EVER!!! Seriously, this game is amazing. Do yourself a favor and play it. It's truly amazing. Fun, humorous, emotional, drama, everything.
  18. steph f
    Apr 26, 2008
    this is the best game you will ever play. all the fans can't be wrong... it is absolutely amazing and totally immersive
  19. nathan stebbings
    Feb 17, 2004
    I love it!! One of the best lookin' games on the dreamcast with a fantastic story line. U'll love this game foreva!
  20. dao dao
    Aug 5, 2008
    Amazing game!
  21. Timothy Falcone
    Sep 4, 2008
    Skies of Arkadia will forever hold a place in my heart as one of my favorite games of all time. It was a shame that Skies of Arkadia was released on the doomed Dreamcast, and then resurrected only to come to rest with the semi-successful GameCube. If a game this beautiful, engrossing, and endearing had been released on the PS2 or X-Box, it would have been so much more successful and wouldSkies of Arkadia will forever hold a place in my heart as one of my favorite games of all time. It was a shame that Skies of Arkadia was released on the doomed Dreamcast, and then resurrected only to come to rest with the semi-successful GameCube. If a game this beautiful, engrossing, and endearing had been released on the PS2 or X-Box, it would have been so much more successful and would have found its way onto the shelves of millions of gamers worldwide. Alas, it shall forever exist as one of the greatest sleeper successes in video game history. Expand
  22. Joe V.
    Jan 23, 2009
    Now, I've played a lot of classics, but this is by far my favorite game. What really makes this game good is that you fall in love with the characters, the plot, the setting, everything. Awesome places, great characters, riveting plot, tactical gameplay, Air Pirate base, this game has it all.
  23. Ronan Faria
    Aug 31, 2009
    This wonderfull game, long and incredible game play.
    This best of the Sega in show for make on game perfectly
  24. Peter Morris
    Nov 27, 2009
    The only RPG I've ever enjoyed, and definately one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I ever had.

1. Awe-inspiring to behold, deep, absorbing and epic to the nines, Overworks' sky-faring RPG sets a standard that will most others will never attain. You have been told.
  2. Though its cartoony visual style may be a turn-off to some, Skies of Arcadia is one of the most beautiful and overall well-constructed RPGs in recent memory.
  3. One of those rare games that not only sucks you in, but pins you down and gives you noogies as time passes unmercifully.