• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jun 18, 2001
8.6

1. Dec 11, 2014
    Listen. None of the people who have told me that this game is good has played it in recent. I was excited to play my old Dreamcast and let the memories flood back to me. I played Sonic Adventure and found that while it is nowhere near as amazing as i remembered in childhood, it still was enjoyable. The second game is NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD as everyone believes. In fact most of these reviewsListen. None of the people who have told me that this game is good has played it in recent. I was excited to play my old Dreamcast and let the memories flood back to me. I played Sonic Adventure and found that while it is nowhere near as amazing as i remembered in childhood, it still was enjoyable. The second game is NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD as everyone believes. In fact most of these reviews are purely based on nostalgia and not actually playing the game. The first fault i can point to in these upsetting times where reality has ruined a nostalgia praised game is the false advertisement in the game. THIS IN NO WAY REPRESENT ADVENTURE. There is no roaming of an overworld, no interacting with people, no searching for the next level. It is a series of levels with a loose (and pretty cliche, yet bafflingly stupid) plot.
    The best part of Sonic Adventure 1 is that you were able to CHOOSE who you wanted to play as. Never did i want to be forced to play as Knuckles when I wanted to play as Sonic. In this game you are forced to play Knuckles treasure hunting levels more than Sonics running levels. Now i enjoy searching levels when i am in the mood to play them. But when you have no say in the matter, it gets borderline frustrating. Nothing kills the mood set after Sonic blases through a fast paced (yet somewhat glitchy) speed level than playing a slow search for damn-near-impossible to find shards or keys.
    What's even worse is Tails/Eggman's levels being retooled to be robot mech shooters that are so slow and poorly made that it ruins the game. Tail's levels in the original Adventure were high-flying alternations of Sonic's levels. Now you're grounded and forced to fight with a barely responsive laser that hardly kills enemies without taking damage yourself. You come to a Sonic game for momentum that isnt bashed across your head without a clue how to navigate.
    The next problem the game has is poor voice acting and editing. When a cutscene plays CHARACTERS TALK AT THE EXACT SAME TIME. It makes for astonishment. Really. Not to mention that Rouge and Shadow are terrible additions to the cast. Shadow is just an emo stereotypical dark Sonic. And Rouge is just annoying. The plot is also a minus as instead of disturbing a Chao protecting water god, Eggman, Rouge and Shadow control what is essentially the Death Star with Robotnik's face on it.
    Now the controls trick you. At first they seem very responsive. Jumps and homing attacks land. However soon enough they flop. Homing attacks cause cheap deaths, don't land whatsoever and cause you to lose rings or stray you from the course. The camera is also against you altogether. Its faces away from the goal pans when it should be straight and is completely nonadjustable. Also swimming in the game is close to impossible. Breathing mechanics are awful as they are but they have the gall to make 2D airbubbles that you wont ever hit in time to breathe.
    To make matters worse, the whole vision of Sonic is further strayed away from course. Sonic originally was a forest hedgehog saving his small woodland friends from enslavement at the hands of Dr. Ivo Robotnik (remember when he was called that and not stupid Eggman? A joke Sonic called him in Adventure 1 that wasnt supposed to be serious?) and protect his world? And each act was showing how closer and closer Sonic was getting to Robotnik's evil robotlike cities and world's? That damn near gone. Now its just random worlds that these characters visit and these character's are now jarringly existing in the "real" world entirely (for those who want to correct me and say that's how it was i Adventure 1, that's not entirely the case as the characters live in the Mystic ruins and visit the metropolis when it called for it). It makes no sense for a bunch of anthropomorphic cartoon animals to live in the real world. Games like Sonic Colors, Generations and Lost World, a game that really isnt as bad as people seem to say it is, fixed this. Overall this is where Sonic the Hedgehog started to decline in quality.
    Overall, this game does not hold up AT ALL when replayed again. The controls are unresponsive, the characters introduced are awful, the voice acting phoned in, the story downright stupid and the new game mechanics just destroy any fun momentum or variety in the story mode. The only few improvements are the multiplayer and Chao garden and even those arent as good as they could be considering the Gamecube versio has better modes in both of those categories with more characters and better things for the Chao to do. But the story mode in the Gamecube version is even worse than this. Nostalgia loses again for this one. As for me, i will go play the original Sonic Adventure that got it right.
  2. Sep 13, 2014
    Sonic Adventure 2 is clearly a step forward from the original and the game play has seen a decent improvement overall, however the game falls short of being enjoyable due to poor level design featuring the ever so annoying railing system and painful character controls. The Sonic and Shadow stages are enjoyable and even they see decline in quality as the game continues, not to mention thatSonic Adventure 2 is clearly a step forward from the original and the game play has seen a decent improvement overall, however the game falls short of being enjoyable due to poor level design featuring the ever so annoying railing system and painful character controls. The Sonic and Shadow stages are enjoyable and even they see decline in quality as the game continues, not to mention that these stages are few and are accompanied by the dreary and repetitive Mech stages and Emerald hunting stages.

The story is incredibly basic which is to be expected, and the character of shadow feels like one big desperate attempt to make a 'cool' character rather than an interesting one. This game is often carried highly by nostalgia and I once rated it as my favourite game, however in age I have realized that Sonic Adventure 2 is more painful than fun. Play city escape like three times and you reach the pinnacle of what this game can do to amuse you.
  3. Mar 14, 2014
    My son tony fondled a chicken in this game. this game does involve animal rape to all concerned parents who are watching there child play this game. In this game these "killer monkeys" attempted to kill my son and i have no idea why, he has done nothing wrong. Also this ghost as my son likes to call it brutally molested him in the game. My son actually got molested in the game! These gameMy son tony fondled a chicken in this game. this game does involve animal rape to all concerned parents who are watching there child play this game. In this game these "killer monkeys" attempted to kill my son and i have no idea why, he has done nothing wrong. Also this ghost as my son likes to call it brutally molested him in the game. My son actually got molested in the game! These game developers are very messed up and may need therapy. I know my son needs therapy now because of the molestation hes gone through. Also my son has to run through fire? ARE YOU SERIOUS I WOULD GIVE THIS GAME A 1-10 1 Expand
  4. Jul 23, 2013
    I don't understand why 'fans' rant and rave over this game. The game is glitchy as hell, camera angles are horrible, and the story is far worse than even that of the first game. The English dubbing is so awful, I can't believe they'd even bother putting it in the game. As a huge fan of the first Sonic Adventure game, this one absolutely fails to hit the mark in every way.
  5. Oct 7, 2012
    In 2001 Sega while being bored out of their minds made this awful trainwreck of a game. Sega was too lazy to fix the cutscenes so the characters lips don't match the dialogue. The controlls are really bad they're so stiff and clunky. There's three gameplay modes. Action, Shooting, and Treasure hunting nothing fun. This game is a waste of your time don't by it. Buy GTA, Spyro, Crash, Mario
  6. Nov 17, 2010
    It's really nothing to be excited about completeley overrated by the fanboys and just entirely lack luster. Speed stages are just hold forward and homing attck to win with terrible controll and overall blandlevel design. Mech shooting & tresure hunting (yes there's that in a Sonic game) is completely boring, broken and has bad controlls, bad camera, tons of glitches, this is nothing likeIt's really nothing to be excited about completeley overrated by the fanboys and just entirely lack luster. Speed stages are just hold forward and homing attck to win with terrible controll and overall blandlevel design. Mech shooting & tresure hunting (yes there's that in a Sonic game) is completely boring, broken and has bad controlls, bad camera, tons of glitches, this is nothing like the genesis title and is an overall unpolished game. This whole game is a chore and a terrible experience. Avoid like the plauge Expand

1. It's chocked full of speed and action throughout that should satisfy almost any Sonic fan.
    If this is the last Sonic game in these declining Dreamcast years, it's satisfying to know that the DC didn't go out with a bang, but with a sonic boom.
  3. The graphics in SA2 are truly next generation material, and Sonic's stages have never been faster or more intense.