Advance Wars: Days of Ruin DS

8.7

1. AlexB.
    Feb 17, 2008
    Another example of the now all too familiar decision to cull so much of what was brilliant about a previous release, then say "but it's got multiplayer" as some cheap excuse for a lack of ideas and a lack of effort. it's half the game dual strike is, less CO's, less modes, less options. I've racked 80 hours on dual strike, yet there is nothing here to keep me beyond Another example of the now all too familiar decision to cull so much of what was brilliant about a previous release, then say "but it's got multiplayer" as some cheap excuse for a lack of ideas and a lack of effort. it's half the game dual strike is, less CO's, less modes, less options. I've racked 80 hours on dual strike, yet there is nothing here to keep me beyond the campaign. For those of us without the necessary online access, a crushing, crushing disappointment. Expand
  2. JoeA.
    Jan 24, 2008
    It's Advance Wars we know and love, but I just can't seem to like it well enough, no matter how much I would like to do so. First of all, the soundtrack choices were terrible; everything sounds like awkward riffs that are nothing more than background noise--they are, in my opinion, much worse than that of Dual Strike. Even without using the comparison, they are pretty bad as far It's Advance Wars we know and love, but I just can't seem to like it well enough, no matter how much I would like to do so. First of all, the soundtrack choices were terrible; everything sounds like awkward riffs that are nothing more than background noise--they are, in my opinion, much worse than that of Dual Strike. Even without using the comparison, they are pretty bad as far as background musics go. Menus, though, are somewhat intuitive, and getting rid of DS battles and combat mode are a good calls. Also welcoming are subdued power differences between units; War Tanks, looking very much like Megatanks of Dual Strike, are now substantially weakened, and much of the newer units (black boat, etc.) are gone, for better or worse. AI also seems to be smarter than before, and CO powers are no longer the gamebreakers that it used to be; there is only CO power--no Super Power or Tag Power--so a lot more emphasis is taken on the tactics. CO info, though, I wish it was more comprehensive, and the lack of war room is missed. It's a good game, but for all they hype it had, it's kind of a disappointment. I probably won't play half as long on the new Advance Wars as i did on the old one (I racked up 200+ hours on Dual Strike). Expand
  3. MattG
    Jan 1, 2010
    It is quite an enjoyable game! They kept a lot of the good points from past games, and included some new ones. The semi-deep plot for the story, the darker over-tones, and all that junk. I'm just saddened by the characters mostly. In the past titles, what I looked forward to would have to be the characters, even their respective nations. Almost every character from AW:DS and down was It is quite an enjoyable game! They kept a lot of the good points from past games, and included some new ones. The semi-deep plot for the story, the darker over-tones, and all that junk. I'm just saddened by the characters mostly. In the past titles, what I looked forward to would have to be the characters, even their respective nations. Almost every character from AW:DS and down was nearly memorable: Grit with his awesome indirects, Colin and his cheap units, the invincible Kanbei, and can anyone not forget how painful Sturm was? But in this new game I'm barely interested in any of the CO's, I mean I could go on a forum and ask someone: "Remember Tasha?" and the answer would probably come up as "Who?". It's not the presentation of the characters that labels them as forgettable, it's how they're used. In older AW games each CO usually had it's own type of strategy, but in AW:DOR they usually mold into just mech spamming, doesn't matter what CO power you have, maybe you might have an extra artillery or two, but when push comes to shove all the CO's are pretty much the same, and you can expect them to be the same. When I play with friends I usually end up being Forsythe so I just automatically start with a large CO territory boost, and not even have to worry about getting a CO power. Now about the Nation units: I was disappointed by the fact each nation didn't have individual types of units. I don't want to spoil plots, and I understand a lot of the nations/teams are pretty much from the same nation. But I mean there's no recognition between vehicles either, the only difference that I can see is that 12th Battalion, and NRA have GI helmets, and hold their guns at the waists, while Lauzarians and IDS have berets and hold their guns at their shoulders. Really? We've come this far and this is all we get? The Game Boy Advance had WAY more differences betwen their nations, right up to all the air units, and ships. I really enjoyed those aesthetic add-ons you know? But anyways it was a good game, and if you're a fan of the series, have a good maybe week to spare... You'll need a ton of patience as the difficulty curve for this game is HUGE, or you just like torturing yourself. This game isn't really a waste for your 20 or so dollars, and I hope you enjoy it. :) Expand
  4. Aug 27, 2010
    I am a fan of the series, but I was disturbed by the direction of this game. Part of the allure of the previous installments was that it allowed for a Turn Based Strategy game with a followable plot but none of the emotional depth. Bringing the ethics of war, genocide, and genetic engineering into the game made it more mature, but lost the causal gameplay status, in my opinion.
  5. Nov 24, 2015
    I applaud the developer willing for change in art direction, as Advance Wars is such a successful series not everybody would have feel that need. But as kiddie as it was, i still prefer the Dual Strike cartoony style.
    Also, the lack of CO power make everything feel flat. Plot is cheesy as hell. The graphics for the fighting skirmishes are bad by 2008 standards.
    You can have some good
    You can have some good times, but Dual Strike is better in any way (beside multiplayer ofc).

#4 Most Discussed DS Game of 2008
#15 Most Shared DS Game of 2008

1. Nintendo Power
    If there were anything like the gaming equivalent of comfort food, Advance Wars would be it. [Feb 2008, p.86]
    Nintendo has removed some previous features and added a few new ones, but when it's all added up I miss the old more than I like the new. Days of Ruin still delivers the fun, though, and strategy fans will once again have their hands full.
    Days of Ruin offers plenty new, but it's possible it got rid of too much of the old. But just like with our ol' buddy Jake, we're OK with trading up all those bonus modes in Dual Strike for more tactically oriented units and real online play (though it'll still take us some time to get used to this new CO gameplay). Advance Wars has finally advanced.