9.0

1. Feb 23, 2012
    Simply a timeless, amazing game. Even if your not a fan of TBS, it's a must try. The amount of options for gameplay are staggering, and the multiplayer and interesting new combat mode just sweeten the deal. Only thing missing is wifi battles, but that is included in days of ruin.
  2. HamishB.
    Aug 8, 2006
    Advance Wars: Dual Strike starts off very well indeed, with fun, clear-cut and achievable missions, not to mention the beautiful art style and great use of the DS's features, but unfortunately (just like its predecessor Black Hole Rising) it gets far too hard, far too quickly. I am pretty much a strategy game novice, but still, getting totally stuck on Mission 8 (of about 30) is Advance Wars: Dual Strike starts off very well indeed, with fun, clear-cut and achievable missions, not to mention the beautiful art style and great use of the DS's features, but unfortunately (just like its predecessor Black Hole Rising) it gets far too hard, far too quickly. I am pretty much a strategy game novice, but still, getting totally stuck on Mission 8 (of about 30) is surely not on. It became absolutely impossible. Of course it Expand
  3. Drivvel
    Nov 9, 2005
    i could accept the quality of graphics and gamplay on old SNES but that was years Ago . seems like every DS fan is blinded by some loyalty to nintendo.
  4. MarkF.
    Nov 9, 2005
    Cant belive that they are churning out this crap. games like these where all the rage 12 years ago and it seems like the DS is the only hand held system that low enough specs to be capable of playing this drivil. and i cat belive they are charging £25 for a 12mb game. when wil the rest of us relise that nintendo are over charging us for such crap.
  5. HeyWould
    Aug 22, 2005
    This game is superb. it has awesome graphics and fun gameplay. i can play this for hours. although you can "beat" it quickly there are hours of gameplay that lies beyond that.
  6. JackK.
    Sep 26, 2005
    It's just like the original which was just like the second which was just like this one. Just save yourself money and buy the original.
  7. DJT.
    Dec 15, 2007
    At first you love the strategy of it... but then you realize it becomes more of a puzzle game than anything else. And the cartoon aspect of it really SOFTENS the overal mood. Do you want a war game or another lighthearted Super Mario Game? Make up your mind. Pure strategists should look at Panzer Tactics.
  8. Oct 6, 2010
    With a level editor, multiplayer, hard/easy campaign modes, a combat mode, time/money/turns survival mode, a soundtrack mode, a gallery mode, over 20 characters and over 100 pre-made maps, it is unrivaled in the amount of content and replay value it offers.
  9. Jan 19, 2014
    As a fan of the first 2 Advance Wars games, I was happy to get this one. I've played through the campaign and I enjoyed it. The new units are interesting, but they honestly didn't affect any of my major strategies- that could be considered the main weakness of this installment, I believe. One of the great things about this game though is its replayability. You have dozens of missions toAs a fan of the first 2 Advance Wars games, I was happy to get this one. I've played through the campaign and I enjoyed it. The new units are interesting, but they honestly didn't affect any of my major strategies- that could be considered the main weakness of this installment, I believe. One of the great things about this game though is its replayability. You have dozens of missions to choose from after the campaign is over, and you can select different CO's in order win in different ways. If you haven't enjoyed this series before, I highly recommend it now. Expand
  10. PhilA.
    Oct 30, 2005
    Simply a great game, uses the touch screen to good effect (although doesn't force you to use it) Music is great and the dialogue is hilarious. The missions are well balanced too and the chalenge is not finishing them, but how well you can.
  11. CodyK.
    (spechless)
  12. ParatroopaPlatoon
    Oct 5, 2005
    Awesome-o =]
  13. BobG.
    Aug 16, 2006
    This game will keep you occupied for quite a long time. What I dislike in this game is that they actually put a timer on how long you played the whole time so I feel bad knowing Ive played for 100's of hours, and those damn medals - I hate games that have things you can collect and will force hundreds more hours into my game.
  14. Yoyo
    Aug 6, 2006
    The advance wars sereies if f-ing amazing.. this is seriously one of the most fun, addictive games out there, evne if you are not INTO strategy games! ITS SO SIMPLE AND FUN!! THE BEST GAME OUT THERE FOR NDS AND GBA!! so far..
  15. Mcdope
    Mar 9, 2007
    Perfect strategy fun. This game can be simple, and yet as complex or more so than chess. It is also highly addictive.
  16. JackG.
    Oct 14, 2005
    This Game RULES!
  17. AnonymousMC
    Oct 30, 2005
    What are you doing reading this review, go out and get this NOW!!!!! why wont ya get, what's wrong with you, have we insulted you or something, simply a beautiful piece of gaming art that will kick he @#$% out of any PSP game to date. You would have to be a heartless mechanical cyborg to not love this title, and man i can't think of anymore good things to say about this. (InsertWhat are you doing reading this review, go out and get this NOW!!!!! why wont ya get, what's wrong with you, have we insulted you or something, simply a beautiful piece of gaming art that will kick he @#$% out of any PSP game to date. You would have to be a heartless mechanical cyborg to not love this title, and man i can't think of anymore good things to say about this. (Insert new good thing here) Expand
  18. DaveH.
    Aug 20, 2005
    HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. Very deep and exciting gameplay. Great use of stylus. A must have for any DS owner. BEST DS GAME YET!
  19. JL
    Aug 23, 2005
    Another rocking game only on Nintendo DS. The additional weapons & vehicles and dual commanders make quadruple the fun. great multiplayer options.
  20. DavidS.
    Aug 30, 2005
    This game alone is so good that it is worth what i paid for my ds. the story is good. my only complaint is that you cant use some co's from the first 2 games in the campaign, but they are still available in other modes like war room. this game doesn't have the best graphics or audio quality, but there is so much quality and fun involved. stop by hachi's shop and see how This game alone is so good that it is worth what i paid for my ds. the story is good. my only complaint is that you cant use some co's from the first 2 games in the campaign, but they are still available in other modes like war room. this game doesn't have the best graphics or audio quality, but there is so much quality and fun involved. stop by hachi's shop and see how many maps there are to buy, this game will last a very long time. and of course the music is incredible and it really pumps you up. i have never played a more enjoyable game, and its the kind of game that will still be top quality in 2 years, because unlike sony, nintendo's games dont rely on audio and visual to be considered good. i cant wait until advance wars 4, the story suggests that there will be one. Expand
  21. Núshio
    Sep 11, 2005
    This game is great. It keeps you anxious when not playing and entertained when playing. Its the kind of game you would carry in your pocket since it allows you to play with up to 8 players and even then, you can all play with 1 NDS and 1 Cartrige!
  22. Johnl.
    Sep 2, 2005
    This game is one of the best game ever! It has better gaphics then any of the avance war games. My favorite character is Sasha. Her super power is the best!
  23. LiamA.
    Feb 8, 2006
    great game if you like tactits game there is loads of stuff on this game and for the price you pay it is well worth it.
  24. KevinR.
    Aug 8, 2006
    The best game for the DS, far and away.
  25. StevenL.
    Jan 20, 2007
    I am amazed at how good this game is, I'm addicted to it, I do have to say some missions are hard but beatable, this is a good thing though as most DS games tend to be way too easy, Also the balancing is done really well, especialy with the megatank and bombers. Also I love the music.
  26. CH
    Apr 5, 2007
    Perfect graphics, game play and music (you would tend to miss the music part). Hyper addictive. Its like having command and conqure serries brought to your DS, but with a far more balanced game play that suits a handheld.
  27. IvanCh.
    Sep 27, 2007
    This is one of the games which are itself a reason to buy a DS. Perfect for portable and also keeps you finishing the levels when you arrive at home.
  28. AndyS.
    Oct 18, 2005
    I have played all of the games all 3 and they have gotten better and better i have beat everyone of them on both normal and easy modes my only disappointment in this game is my fav charachter is not there strum.
  29. RichardC.
    Oct 4, 2005
    This game is great.
  30. dj
    Jul 25, 2005
    great game
  31. MarcoO.
    Aug 17, 2005
    There's no better game on the ds,you can play this game always, you will never see a game like this one.You can play up to 8 players and only with one ds this is the greatest game I ever played with zelda ocarina of time.
  32. RibT.
    Aug 24, 2005
    Ok. Advance Wars 1 was the first GBA gane i ever bought and I LOVED IT!!! I did everything and enjoyed it so much.When Advance Wars 2 came out,i bought it the first day and I LOVED it even more. Then AWDS came and all i can say is that its the greatest DS game ever made!!!!! The graphics,th sound,the music. I garatine u that u will love this game for life. If u can only have 1 DS game.
  33. RaabHimself
    Aug 25, 2005
    Sick sh.t!
  34. Action
    Aug 28, 2005
    It took a long time for the DS to come out with anything really worth playing. (Been gaming for 20 years now, so I am not easily pleased.) I didn't buy the DS fo play puzzle games. Kirby was the first landmark game, imo, and Advance Wars DS is definitely the second. There is a slight learning curve due to the number of unit types and remembering what is good against what, but the It took a long time for the DS to come out with anything really worth playing. (Been gaming for 20 years now, so I am not easily pleased.) I didn't buy the DS fo play puzzle games. Kirby was the first landmark game, imo, and Advance Wars DS is definitely the second. There is a slight learning curve due to the number of unit types and remembering what is good against what, but the interface is very user friendly and it is easy enough to check the info if you forget. The opening levels to the story mode are a nice tutorial, so it makes it pretty easy to learn how to play. The dialogue is pretty retarded but it doesn't get in the way much, and there are a few units that can't move and fire in the same turn, which gets really aggravating sometimes. Other than that, good times. It'll be one of the top 5 DS games for a long time, I'd wager. Expand
  35. JeffM.
    Jan 10, 2006
    Overcharging...overcharging?! The game's $35! That's almost HALF the price of an XBox 360 game. Yea, the graphics don't take full advantage of what the DS can do. Boo freakin hoo. Not all of us need to look at a framerate and polygon count to be impressed with a game. Instead of an apparently ''much-needed'' graphical update, we get to create our own Overcharging...overcharging?! The game's $35! That's almost HALF the price of an XBox 360 game. Yea, the graphics don't take full advantage of what the DS can do. Boo freakin hoo. Not all of us need to look at a framerate and polygon count to be impressed with a game. Instead of an apparently ''much-needed'' graphical update, we get to create our own maps and play them in vs. mode against other people. I know, the loss is terrible. This is great as a continuation of the series or as a standalone title for people who have no experience with the series. There is only one complaint I allow this game, and while it doesn't affect gameplay, it's almost enough to make you stab the writers. That complaint is Jake. He tries to sound even more street than those stupid squirrels that advertise the PSP. By which I mean to say it's like he brutally murdered generic rappers and gang members and injected their combined blood into his veins. If this guy is a recurring character, I will be more than a little disappointed. Expand
  36. SaulR.
    Jan 6, 2006
    This games thoug it has snes graphics is the hell of fun, ideal for long waiting times in bank or the grilfriend.
  37. Galeana
    Feb 24, 2006
    This game will last you forever, a single mission takes a whole hour to complete, and it's so addictive because you want to keep coming back for more. And the game is hard too, well for me, and I like how the A.I. doesn't falls into my baits.
  38. JohnnyD.
    Apr 21, 2006
    i luv it bcause its the best startagy game i hav evar played the playerbilitis amazing, exellant musics to.
  39. RedXIII
    Aug 4, 2006
    Very fun game, for a while, battles get repetitive. Graphics are ok, compared to some other titles on DS they are lacking, overall game play is good, campaign is fun, but the graphics and lack control over upgrades/base building brings it down to an 8, but still a lot of fun.
  40. TC
    Feb 25, 2007
    This is from a person who has never played this series before and who has kept reading all the positive comments and reviews but never bought it due to it sounding to complex. I broke down and bought this game this weekend used and once I started it up, I did not put it down for 4-5 hours. I am NOT a heavy DS user as I enjoy the Brain Age/Academy games as well as good quick play games This is from a person who has never played this series before and who has kept reading all the positive comments and reviews but never bought it due to it sounding to complex. I broke down and bought this game this weekend used and once I started it up, I did not put it down for 4-5 hours. I am NOT a heavy DS user as I enjoy the Brain Age/Academy games as well as good quick play games like Mario Kart and Meteos. I really think that if I had played this and not had a DS, I would have gone out and bought a DS. The game is fun and is NOT simple. I did not get the manual with mine (used) so I have downloaded it and will be using it. Some games you can just guess your way through and not really HAVE to think that hard and still do ok. If you do that with this game, you will get your you know what handed to you. I was losing a mission over and over and over and FINALLY had to learn what I was doing wrong, how to correct it.. down to using the land as cover/better defense. I have never played turn-based strategy games because the thought of me do this, you do that, rinse, repeat sounded NOT fun at all. But, I never realized that if you have 15 units in the field of battle, you can get an action for EVERY one of them per turn. I can see the RTS laughing at me now but I just never played them. There is something about being a 31-year old analyst for a living and having a cartoon character whoop you on a gaming handheld that makes you want to figure out what you did wrong and come back and kick that CO's..... I enjoy my other DS games for the relaxing fun they bring me but I now also enjoy AVDS because of the strategy it required to succeed. What a great game. BTW, if you buy used and cannot find how to delete all the current information...hold SELECT, L button and Right on the D-pad WHILE you click AVDS from the main DS Window (the screen that loads the game). I was losing my mind trying to find that option IN the game. Expand
  41. VonB.
    Apr 22, 2007
    My recommendation for this series: Buy the first. Take time to enjoy and beat it. Buy the second one. Marvel at Black Hole and my favorite tank. Then buy this, remember where the other two are just long enough to get the extra stuff from having them, then curl up in a ball in your room and never stop playing this game. This game has infinite replay value, and is easy enough to understand. My recommendation for this series: Buy the first. Take time to enjoy and beat it. Buy the second one. Marvel at Black Hole and my favorite tank. Then buy this, remember where the other two are just long enough to get the extra stuff from having them, then curl up in a ball in your room and never stop playing this game. This game has infinite replay value, and is easy enough to understand. Don't be ashamed to search for the guide, though: some parts can get fairly hard. I'd say if you need it anytime before Crystal Calamity, you haven't practiced with the other games enough, or this isn't the series for you. For all the naysayers: Since when are graphics the final determining factor in a game? People realize Alien Hominid (from NewGrounds!) is a great game, or else it wouldn't have made it to consoles! That and The Wind Waker. Graphics were cel-shaded, for cripes' sake, but the gameplay more than made up for it! Well, in conclusion... Wait, you're still reading? Go back to the top of this post, and follow my instructions, soldier! Move out! Expand
  42. PenguinNinja
    Sep 17, 2007
    My friend introduced me into the series with his copy of dual strike...huge mistake. To date, 9-17-07, I got it maybe a year ago, I have sunk 394 hours of my life into this game. Everything, gamplay mechanics, sound, and the storyline are absolutely AWESOME. Still...how do they make themes that you have to listen to every turn, and yet not want to turn off the sound?
  43. IanL.
    Mar 5, 2008
    By far the most deep and addictive strategy game on the DS today. The quirky characters and awesome dual CO powers make this a must-play!
  44. MrNintendo
    Jul 19, 2008
    Still an awesome game but if you played the first 2 games on the GBA to death, than you'll most likely not find the game to be as fun as a newcomer simply because not THAT much new stuff was brought to the table. Essentially the same graphics, few more units, dual screens and dual CO powers is basically all that's new. Dual CO powers can cheapen things at times. If you never Still an awesome game but if you played the first 2 games on the GBA to death, than you'll most likely not find the game to be as fun as a newcomer simply because not THAT much new stuff was brought to the table. Essentially the same graphics, few more units, dual screens and dual CO powers is basically all that's new. Dual CO powers can cheapen things at times. If you never played the first 2 GBA games than you'll play this game for ages. I kind of got bored however after the 21st mission where I thought it was the end but then realised it wasn't the end. Expand
  45. PatrickC.
    Jul 21, 2008
    Love this game. It brings back fond memories of my wargaming days (I started in 1968, before any of 'em were played on a computer). At first I was a little put off by the cartoonish look, but I got past that. Very interesting and challenging. Countless hours of great game play. And I especially appreciate how the game is designed to lead a beginner through the campaign. If you lose a Love this game. It brings back fond memories of my wargaming days (I started in 1968, before any of 'em were played on a computer). At first I was a little put off by the cartoonish look, but I got past that. Very interesting and challenging. Countless hours of great game play. And I especially appreciate how the game is designed to lead a beginner through the campaign. If you lose a scenario, you get strategy tips to help you win. This one's a keeper. Expand
  46. PatrickD.
    Oct 16, 2005
    I usually don't rate games, so I'm just giving this a 10. I'm stuck at one part, though!
    Oct 19, 2005
    This game is just incredible. I can't put it down. The amount of strategy and planning that's required to win is fantastic, but the game, despite being turn-based, doesn't lose that visceral sense of guerilla combat or full-on mass destruction that makes real-time strategy games, such as Total Annihilation, so much fun. The only complaint I have is the background music. So This game is just incredible. I can't put it down. The amount of strategy and planning that's required to win is fantastic, but the game, despite being turn-based, doesn't lose that visceral sense of guerilla combat or full-on mass destruction that makes real-time strategy games, such as Total Annihilation, so much fun. The only complaint I have is the background music. So far, Jake and Jugger seem to be the only COs who have background music that actually suits a war. It would have been good if some of the J-Pop dance tunes were replaced by more epic war marches. Otherwise, perfect, perfect, perfect. Expand
  48. JasonT.
    Dec 10, 2005
    I stand and applaud this game. Fun graphics, great sound, solid controls, good AI, Maximum replayability, this game has it all.
  49. Phishor
    Dec 24, 2005
    Great strategy game. Lots of things to try, lots of things to discover. (I love unlockables in games) Great gameplay and great replay value. If I had to give criticism though, I would say that it is too easy. Even the hard campaign was too easy. However, there are still ways to challenge myself; and I'm unusual in that I like my games to be _very_ difficult.
  50. MelAnthonyM.
    Jul 31, 2005
    It's probably the best game for the nintendo DS.
  51. JayM.
    Aug 17, 2005
    Best game on the DS in North America since release, even Meteos and Kirby don't stand a chance!
  52. Trooper
    Aug 25, 2005
    This is the best DS game ever, and prolly will be for a while.
  53. SpecialQ.
    Aug 27, 2005
    I've only spent about an hour or two with this game, but it is the most fun "game" on the NDS. I've liked some of the other stuff that's come out, but I think this makes best use of both screens, and while "touching" is optional, it is my prefered method of deploying my troops. Screw RISK, this is the game of global domination.
  54. TedH.
    Aug 28, 2005
    As if I had enough games taking up my time, heres more crack. great for subway. and my damn puppy has fleas again, I have to walk it at work in the bathroom, hope nobody hears me talking to her.
  55. MarcelloS.
  57. jcmatrixcanete
    Dec 2, 2006
    Hamish B

Hamish B

if you think this game is tough. think again. not as hard as "kid icarus". i beat stage nine in one sitting right stategy and tactics will do the job. stage 9 send all your air plain to combat air fortress, just let your enemies in the the desert crawl. once you destroy the airfortress make a counter. i'm sure you will will pass this level. its just a moderate level game full of strategy and tactics. one of the best out there. tnx
  58. JoeS.
    Apr 12, 2006
    This game...isnt some mindless game that will turn your brain into mush, hey play this before a test cause youll be thinking alot harder. Everything is blanaced very well and knowing where to put what units when and why and what units they need to cover them is essential. Example, i wanted to invaded an enemy occupied island so i had to make 2 battleships and 2 cruiser and 1 black boat, 2 This game...isnt some mindless game that will turn your brain into mush, hey play this before a test cause youll be thinking alot harder. Everything is blanaced very well and knowing where to put what units when and why and what units they need to cover them is essential. Example, i wanted to invaded an enemy occupied island so i had to make 2 battleships and 2 cruiser and 1 black boat, 2 landers with 1 infantry 2 mech and 1 tank and 2 b copters. I used the battle ships to take out the artillery battery on the small isnad and the cruisers where flanking the batle ships in spots to intercept enemy bombers the coptes went in and atatck infanrty just before my troops landed. the battle went on with a few reinforcements but my battleships putting heavy fire anywhere on the island made me win it. Expand
  59. ZachL.
    Apr 16, 2006
    some of the missions are very hard, but multiplayer is heaven and the best on a single ds. great multiplayer for non gamers because only one ds is required. sure the combat mode sucks like dry bread, but everything else is superb. it would have been nice to have an easyer single player campain but we cant have everything. THE game for long trips with friends, nothing else comes close.
  60. PhilM.
    Nov 11, 2007
    One of the most addicting games ever. I've been playing it straight for 2 years. A must buy for the DS.
  61. TylerJ
    Mar 27, 2009
    This game leaves me speechless. As a person that just came into the series, and turn-based games in general, this game is remarkably easy to learn to play. Once you've mastered the easy campaign, the hard campaign is unlocked and that is a brutal experience. Very deep and addictive. Lost 150 hours playing this game. When I bought it, it was a choice between Metroid Prime Hunters orThis game leaves me speechless. As a person that just came into the series, and turn-based games in general, this game is remarkably easy to learn to play. Once you've mastered the easy campaign, the hard campaign is unlocked and that is a brutal experience. Very deep and addictive. Lost 150 hours playing this game. When I bought it, it was a choice between Metroid Prime Hunters or this one, and I'm glad I made the superior choice. Good job, Nintendo! Expand
  62. Aug 27, 2010
    While fun to play, and keeping with the traditions of the Advance Wars series, I found this to be less than I expected. The GBA Advanced Wars games seemed so much better for their times.
  63. Jun 9, 2011
    Addictive is the main word that can describe this game, having cartoonish graphics, easy controls and gameplay is a mist own DS game, or a reason to buy a DS, yeah the 3DS is already launched but whatever, just get this game instantly.
  64. May 2, 2014
    This game is like crack to a dork like me. I'd pork the hell out of it if it had a vagina. If you love turn based strategy and don't have a DS... well, go out and get a DS. An old hamburger one will do just fine. They gotta be pretty cheap by now. Any of the versions of AW are great, but I gotta go with this one as the best. 9.75 rounded down. I don't give tens.
  65. Jul 28, 2014
    One of my most favorite games for the DS and all-time. You can tell since this review was posted nearly 9 years after its release, and I still play it from time to time! Decently long campaign, great gameplay, war room, and extra features make it worth the money.

1. It's the expanded portfolio of vehicles and strategic subtleties and wealth of new commanding officer combos that really make this game sing... Result? Super-addictive strategy gaming. [Sept 2005, p.118]
  2. Thank heavens, then, for the brilliant Survival mode. Of all Dual Strike’s little reinventions it’s the only one to twist the template into a persuasive new shape. [Sept 2005, p.97]
  3. It's a pretty big step up from "Advance Wars 2," and the new dual-CO tagging system adds a new dimension to the strategy that actually works quite well. [JPN Import]