• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Oct 11, 2011
8.0

1. Feb 26, 2013
    If you are a fan of the Alien movie series with a DS you need to pick this game up now. It captures the feel of the movie perfectly, and is filled with references that will bring a smile to the face of any fan. The game looks and sounds fantastic, just like the movie. As far as gameplay goes it's a challenging Metroid-like side-scroller. The games focus is more on action and exploration asIf you are a fan of the Alien movie series with a DS you need to pick this game up now. It captures the feel of the movie perfectly, and is filled with references that will bring a smile to the face of any fan. The game looks and sounds fantastic, just like the movie. As far as gameplay goes it's a challenging Metroid-like side-scroller. The games focus is more on action and exploration as opposed to platforming. In order to progress through the game you have to locate items that will grant you access to other locations. Part of the games charm is the perma-death feature, it works like this, you start off with 4 marines and you control 1 at a time, if one of the marines die they're gone for good and you have to locate another marine to replace them. Losing a marine and knowing their gone for good is tough, especially because they each have their own unique personality so it's easy to get attached to certain marines just like you got attached to characters in the film. Another cool feature is how dialog is changed based on the marine you're playing as. All of this helps create a game that Aliens fans are going to love, and thanks to the excellent gameplay even people unfamiliar with Aliens will have an absolute blast playing this game. So if you're an Aliens fan this is a must play. It's an excellent game that does the movie series justice. Expand
  2. Oct 1, 2012
    Aliens: Infestation does a great job at evoking and paying homage to it's source material. If you are a fan of the movies, then you'll definitely get a kick out of Infestation's design. The life system deserves special mention for being awesome. You have a finite amount of lives, represented by your squad of marines. If a marine falls, you can recruit another to take their place... If youAliens: Infestation does a great job at evoking and paying homage to it's source material. If you are a fan of the movies, then you'll definitely get a kick out of Infestation's design. The life system deserves special mention for being awesome. You have a finite amount of lives, represented by your squad of marines. If a marine falls, you can recruit another to take their place... If you can find them, that is. Each marine is distinctive and has their own tree of situational dialogue. This makes it easy to get attached to them. It's not just lives you're losing but members of your team! That said, Aliens: Infestation is cripplingly difficult. I grew up playing NES and SNES, so I'm no stranger to tough 2D games, but this one really tries my patience. That said, if you have the patience and stomach for a rough ride, Aliens: Infestation might rock your world. Expand
  3. May 8, 2012
    Here we have a competant game full of lots of clever touches. Nice atmosphere, great pacing, quality dialoge and characterazation. All the attention to detail that makes for a great game. Shame about the forgettable story and the dull, unengaging, occasionally arbitrary feeling combat. Its a nice collection of things to do right, but I'm afraid that its all applied to something ratherHere we have a competant game full of lots of clever touches. Nice atmosphere, great pacing, quality dialoge and characterazation. All the attention to detail that makes for a great game. Shame about the forgettable story and the dull, unengaging, occasionally arbitrary feeling combat. Its a nice collection of things to do right, but I'm afraid that its all applied to something rather bland. I laud the effort, but can't reccomend it to anyone besides hardcore Aliens fans or those desperate for a Metroid fix. Expand
  4. Feb 21, 2012
    an excellent little game that boasts 16 bit style graphics and creates a great atmosphere true to the first films...
    a must own for any metroidvania fan...
  5. Nov 13, 2011
    If you're looking for a Metroid fix, you'll find it. However, only the desperate will fool themselves into thinking the game has any real value of its own.

6. Oct 31, 2011
    A Metroidvania title set in the Aliens universe is such a brilliant fit that I can't believe no one has done it before. You are sent as part of a squad to the Sulaco, the ship from the second film in the franchise.The game also features an interesting mechanic. Your squad consists of 4 marines. When 1 dies... they're gone for good. However, you can fill out your squad with other marinesA Metroidvania title set in the Aliens universe is such a brilliant fit that I can't believe no one has done it before. You are sent as part of a squad to the Sulaco, the ship from the second film in the franchise.The game also features an interesting mechanic. Your squad consists of 4 marines. When 1 dies... they're gone for good. However, you can fill out your squad with other marines scattered around the various levels. Essentially, this is a twist on the tried and true lives system. A great fictional universe, rock solid gameplay and a tension-ratcheting squad mechanic combines to make this one great game. DS owners shouldn't miss this gem. Expand
  7. Oct 16, 2011
    I'm really looking forward to Aliens: Colonial Marines, so when I heard that a game was coming out for Nintendo DS (one of the best platforms out there, period) which featured both Aliens and Colonial Marines, I was pretty stoked. This game plays very old school as the developers advertise. It's a sidescroller and you shoot things. You collect new weapons and new characters. You upgradeI'm really looking forward to Aliens: Colonial Marines, so when I heard that a game was coming out for Nintendo DS (one of the best platforms out there, period) which featured both Aliens and Colonial Marines, I was pretty stoked. This game plays very old school as the developers advertise. It's a sidescroller and you shoot things. You collect new weapons and new characters. You upgrade the weapons, and when a character dies you can go back to a person you've discovered in the environment and add them to your squad. Character designs and backstories are pretty meaty thanks to some well placed development effort. This game doesn't feel cheap, it feels like a real genuine effort to please fans and offer up a fun game in the series. This is more than can be said for the all out disappointment of Aliens vs Predator last summer. If you're looking for a really fun diversion until Colonial Marines is released sometime next year, go and purchase Infestation immediately. It won't let you down, even if you are not a fan of side scrollers like me. This game is fun, challenging enough, and has a smooth polish over its surface. My only gripe is that it's very short and there is really only one reason to play through it a second time: to find all of the USCM characters hidden around the levels. You earn one minigame where you stab a knife between the fingers of a hand which is actually pretty fun, but there could've been more replay value added in here. Infestation almost feels like an included minigame to a larger game (like Colonial Marines for instance).

In the end I can't complain, this is the best Aliens related game to come out since Aliens vs Predator 2 on PC in 2002. If you've got a DS and don't have this game, get it. If you're a die hard Aliens fan and DO NOT have a DS, I would consider getting one used and getting this game. It really is that fun.
  8. Oct 15, 2011
    Aliens: Infestation is a fairly solid 2D metroid-like action game. The story starts soon after the events of the "Aliens" film. You play as one of four marines tasked to find out what happened to the Sulaco and its crew. You'll receive multiple missions and objectives throughout the game, placing you across several expansive levels based on planets, moons, ships etc. The developer is wellAliens: Infestation is a fairly solid 2D metroid-like action game. The story starts soon after the events of the "Aliens" film. You play as one of four marines tasked to find out what happened to the Sulaco and its crew. You'll receive multiple missions and objectives throughout the game, placing you across several expansive levels based on planets, moons, ships etc. The developer is well versed in the lore of the series, and this shows in the plot. Gameplay is fairly solid, but slightly marred with less then optimized controls. You'll get access to many of the weapons used in the series, which feel and sound spot on to what fans of the series would expect. Many utility-based items like flares (which are very useful in this game), welders, motion tracker and other equipment can be found in the game, which will slowly give you more access to new and previously-visited areas. The level design is quite expansive and feels authentic to the various locales. I did find on several occasions that the developers lead you far off the main route with little to no reward, which is obviously unnecessary. The game sounds very authentic, and completely met my expectations as a huge fan of the films, comics, and games of the series. All-in-all this is my favourite DS title in the past few months, yet doesn't require the player to be a rabid fan of the series to enjoy it. Expand
  9. Oct 15, 2011
    Another masterpiece by Wayforward and Designer Adam Tierney. As always, the video clarity is incredible and the attention to detail is among the best in the industry. The script is also very strong.
  10. Oct 11, 2011
    Aliens: Infestation is a must play for anyone who owns a DS, or is a rabid Aliens fan (such as I am). It's pure fun. The graphics are 16 bit awesome, the dialogue is punchy and enjoyable, and the gameplay is simple and engaging. Wayforward have done a terrific job of making a game that slots nicely into the Aliens Universe, and is something I know I've been looking forward to for aAliens: Infestation is a must play for anyone who owns a DS, or is a rabid Aliens fan (such as I am). It's pure fun. The graphics are 16 bit awesome, the dialogue is punchy and enjoyable, and the gameplay is simple and engaging. Wayforward have done a terrific job of making a game that slots nicely into the Aliens Universe, and is something I know I've been looking forward to for a looooong time.:) I'm excited to see how it connects up to Aliens: Colonial Marines next year.
    At any rate, you owe it to yourself to check it out!
  11. Oct 11, 2011
    At any rate, you owe it to yourself to check it out!

1. Mar 2, 2012
    Fans of the genre would be smart to pick it up, and fans of Alien can consider it both a mega-dose of fanservice, and a must-play to be tracked down.
  2. Nov 30, 2011
    Aliens: Infestation is another nice effort from WayForward, a team we hope will get major support from the greatest software houses and publishers. It's a genuinely funny game, with a great atmosphere, perfectly suited for those who love Aliens but also for the ones which have never seen a movie of the series.
  3. Nov 18, 2011
    For a DS game, Infestation looks great. The 2D animations are sharp, and there is a nice level of detail to each area.