Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles DS

6.2

1. Jessica
    Sep 9, 2008
    After seeing the version for Xbox, I found this game seriously lacking. Not only is it lacking in the graphics department, it is lacking the detailed story, and I found it cumbersome to maneuver Altair. Again, this is a default with the DS, when you are forced to use the touch-screen sometimes it just didn't pick up your stylus.
  2. DragoonWraith
    Jun 16, 2008
    Horribly short, abysmal controls, choppy framerate, boring combat, stupid minigames, weak storyline, incredibly linear - this is just a terrible game.

Jumping puzzles abound, but depth perception with these graphics is damn near impossible. Several locations where you have to repeatedly leap blindly hoping to grab some ledge that never looked like it was within reach (or repeatedly missing a ledge that looked very close).

Controls were very poor, as well, greatly exacerbating the issue.

Other than that, combat is hideously simple, and much like the console version, the combat AI of the the enemies is useless. Sadly, that's about all this game had in common with the console version.

The poor controls did sometimes make battles difficult, because often Altair would do... not even remotely what you intended him to do. Multiple foes, in particular, were terrible - aiming for particular foes was nearly impossible. And while you were more or less indestructable and you could easily take on endless amounts of guards, it was very frustrating when you attempted to kill specific characters (such as the boss who is surrounded by your allies that attack you - the game lets you kill them without any comment, but I wanted to only kill the traitor - but it was nearly impossible to do).

Rewards for progressing through the game are gimicky tricks that do little or nothing for you. Several rewards literally only open up the next area, never to be used. You can only use the crossbow in select locations designed for it (to be fair, combat would be even more stupidly easy if you could snipe everyone), the explosives and knives are generally worthless (except in those places where you NEED them... and they will always be provided for that purpose).

The storyline was weak (and often did not make any sense in consideration of the storyline of the original), and the dialog was just awful. Abysmal, terrible, utterly lacking. And the dialog in the original was so good, too. Very sad.

All in all, it was awful. Terrible, very sad, too, because the console version was very good. Had its flaws, but this game is full of them.

In fact, the only impressive thing about the game is how much mediocrity they managed to stuff into such an incredibly short title.
    Mar 13, 2008
    Poor frame rates, button-mashingly simple combat, and silly, afterthought mini-games make this second-rate Prince of Persia easy to skip.
  4. KatB.
    Feb 16, 2008
    Move over Prince. Because Altair is the King! I heard tell that there were a lot of similarities between this and the Prince of Persia series, and to a certain extent it
  5. TenderoniJ.
    Feb 16, 2008
    Wow, kicks heiny! Are we allowed to say heiny in these reviews? I hope so because this game warrants the use of the word. Altair
  6. AlL.
    Feb 16, 2008
    Nice. I expected some really bad port when I heard that AC would be coming to the DS. Instead, what we got was a separate game made just for us. We get some of the back-story for Altair and a better understanding of the world in which he lives. Any fan of the original game can enjoy this as a new experience, and anyone who hasn
  7. AndreP.
    Feb 15, 2008
    This is an excellent DS title. I wonder if some of the complainers aren
  8. BunnyR.
    Feb 14, 2008
    This is a worthy prequel to AC. Altair
  9. ChrisL.
    Feb 9, 2008
    huge let down dont be swayed by the big name an marketing of this game its utter rubbish trying to cash in on the success of its next gen big brother full price for a game that lasts 3-4 hrs in its campaign it pitiful at best if you do buy it , it will leave a bitter taste in your mouth knowing your cash could have been better spent on much much better DS games in the coming months Ninja huge let down dont be swayed by the big name an marketing of this game its utter rubbish trying to cash in on the success of its next gen big brother full price for a game that lasts 3-4 hrs in its campaign it pitiful at best if you do buy it , it will leave a bitter taste in your mouth knowing your cash could have been better spent on much much better DS games in the coming months Ninja Gaiden anyone? Expand
  10. TimE.
    Feb 8, 2008
    This is a pretty nice looking DS title. The intro teases you with what looks to be a 3D world and then places you in a Diablo style play on a path. The path has multiple enemies and orbs which upgrade your character but the parts that really shine through are the touch screen elements. The interrogation minigame plays out similar to Elite Beat Agents with timing your touches to a circle This is a pretty nice looking DS title. The intro teases you with what looks to be a 3D world and then places you in a Diablo style play on a path. The path has multiple enemies and orbs which upgrade your character but the parts that really shine through are the touch screen elements. The interrogation minigame plays out similar to Elite Beat Agents with timing your touches to a circle getting smaller to a solid circle. My personal favorite is the Pickpocketing minigame where you have to clear the picture of the pouch and then guide the key out without touching anything else. All in all the game's story is solid, this being the prequel to the console version, but if you're expecting the full free roaming of the console version you will be disappointed. Expand
  11. HenryC.
    Feb 8, 2008
    It's not that the game is horrible, but it is horribly short. Graphics are great for a DS game, and you can definitely enjoy the platforming aspects. Combat is a little lacking, and there are simply not enough chances to really use your non-platforming abilities in game.
  12. TommyB.
    Feb 8, 2008
    I was really enjoying this game until I was confronted by the annoying 'use' of the DSs touchpad. Some games can, and should, use the pad. In this case, it is a total pain. (* I am thinking especially of the 'Elite Beat Agents' arm lock which is pure rip off, including shrinking circles to be touched at the correct moment and a ball/slider effect. I hope they paid the I was really enjoying this game until I was confronted by the annoying 'use' of the DSs touchpad. Some games can, and should, use the pad. In this case, it is a total pain. (* I am thinking especially of the 'Elite Beat Agents' arm lock which is pure rip off, including shrinking circles to be touched at the correct moment and a ball/slider effect. I hope they paid the developers for this blatant steal). It's a shame the developers felt the need to introduce this element because the graphics are solid, and the underlying game is decent. Expand
  13. JeanS.
    Feb 8, 2008
    Excellent DS iteration of the franchise. Had lots of fun with this game. It looks a little bit unpolished on some parts but overall it looks and plays very well.
  14. TonyC.
    Feb 7, 2008
    From what I understand, Altair's Chronicles is a prequel to the console Assassin's Creed game. I'd never know that, since I didn't play that title. My sole reason for picking up this game, though, was because I love playing action games of this sort on my DS. The premise for Altair's Chronicles sounded cool and the gameplay promised to be right up my alley. Before From what I understand, Altair's Chronicles is a prequel to the console Assassin's Creed game. I'd never know that, since I didn't play that title. My sole reason for picking up this game, though, was because I love playing action games of this sort on my DS. The premise for Altair's Chronicles sounded cool and the gameplay promised to be right up my alley. Before stopping to jot down this review, I took a look once more at IGN's number descriptions for reviews. I'm going to utilize their scoring system to convey my measure of this game. So, please keep in mind that, overall, I think Altair's Chronicles is a "decent" game. To say it's more than that would be inaccurate, so far as it pertains to my experience with the game. And my experience with the game was short-lived. Not because I didn't play through it in its entirety, but because the game is Expand
  15. Altair'sChronicles
    Feb 6, 2008
    Uses all d pad controls and almost no touch, combat is even worse than console version. Shame, could a been fun.
  16. MatthisP.
    Feb 6, 2008
    Sometimes you get tired of all that "Zelda"-like graphics, and all that "Mario"-like jumping after mushrooms... Yes, I confess, I can't play any more "Pokemons", and I can't spend two months trying to beat an endless sandbox-type game! That's where Assassin's Creed comes handy! It's what a platformer should always be, with decent challenges, more than enough play Sometimes you get tired of all that "Zelda"-like graphics, and all that "Mario"-like jumping after mushrooms... Yes, I confess, I can't play any more "Pokemons", and I can't spend two months trying to beat an endless sandbox-type game! That's where Assassin's Creed comes handy! It's what a platformer should always be, with decent challenges, more than enough play time, and an excellent atmosphere, seasoned by some very nice cutscenes and camera positions. But not all is pink and blue and flowers all around: the ending should have been a little different, and the story seems to have some gaps in it, and you have to read every text carefully to understand it... Well, I've enjoyed it, and I'll keep an eye open for other platformers, cause IMHO that's what the DS is all about! Expand

#12 Most Discussed DS Game of 2008
#70 Most Shared DS Game of 2008

It's not very long (probably about three hours give or take), and by the time you earn all the cool Assassin abilities, there aren't a whole lot of opportunities to use them...Even with the issues, I had a good time playing through Assassin's Creed multiple times.
  2. An average handheld experience. It has about eight hours of gameplay that is very conducive to the pick-up-and-play experience. Most mobile gamers looking for a portable experience will probably enjoy the fun hack n' slash gameplay along with the fun mini-games. But as a fan of the original console version, I just feel that this game lacked a little of the prowess of its predecessor.
  3. It’s definitely worth a rental; especially if you have enjoyed the original game as it tells the story of how the characters got to that point, and frustrations and limitations aside, the time spent playing the game is enjoyable – it’s just over way too soon.