7.5

1. charlesDG
    Jun 15, 2009
    This is a game for hardcore and old-school rpg fans. A lot of grinding, high encounter rate but great 16-bit era game. Love it...story is great, dialogue also. Music seems fine but only ones you'll hear for a long time are the ones in villages and combat. Mine havent froze yet and im up 6-7 hours of gameplay.
  2. ArdaJ.
    Jun 19, 2009
    Prior to the game's release, I read a lot about Black Sigil. I've been a big fan of these types of games since the late 80's when I spent countless hours playing Zelda. Even though I don't own a DS, based on the critics preview comments and the video trailers seen, I decide to get this game and, of course, a new DS to play it on. As a person who enjoys music with Prior to the game's release, I read a lot about Black Sigil. I've been a big fan of these types of games since the late 80's when I spent countless hours playing Zelda. Even though I don't own a DS, based on the critics preview comments and the video trailers seen, I decide to get this game and, of course, a new DS to play it on. As a person who enjoys music with depth, I am pleasantly surprised with the sound. Chatting with the characters that often provide helpful hints and exploring the various areas reminded me of how much I love these types of games. The graphics are eye-catching and quite colorful on both screens. I'm in one room and then suddenly I've been transported into a completely different area. I'm having a lot of fun with this game. Expand
  3. MikeC
    Jun 23, 2009
    This game gets almost everything right. Beautiful 16-bit art and effects. Catchy music. I story that, so far, doesn't seem too cliched. The only problem is the developer must have spent the entire time in test mode, because the encounter rate is WAY too high. This game obviously too some inspiration from Chrono Trigger, and in my opinion, should have just been a full copy. Allowing This game gets almost everything right. Beautiful 16-bit art and effects. Catchy music. I story that, so far, doesn't seem too cliched. The only problem is the developer must have spent the entire time in test mode, because the encounter rate is WAY too high. This game obviously too some inspiration from Chrono Trigger, and in my opinion, should have just been a full copy. Allowing the player to choose their encounters is a feature that makes every RPG more fun. Random battles only existed in the 8/16-bit era because it was often too processor intensive to show the enemies on screen. As is, you end up fighting the same 3-4 canned encounters 30+ times per dungeon. At it's worse, by the time the screen has fully faded in from the battle, it'll already be fading out to a new random battle. I pre-ordered the game based off the trailers. I'm glad I got it so this type of game can be supported, but I don't consider 2 hours of random battles for 10 minutes of dialogue a fair trade off. Expand

#42 Most Discussed DS Game of 2009
#38 Most Shared DS Game of 2009

1. Nintendo Power
    Random encounters happen too often, take too long, and involve too much sitting and waiting for the active-time gauge to fill up. [June 2009, p.90]
  2. Playing an old-school RPG is great with dual screens and Archcraft have seen to every last detail. The dialogue is first rate (talk to everybody; the maids, farmers…), the systems easy to assimilate, and the visuals are vibrant and painstakingly detailed. Great BGM too.
  3. There’s a lot of game here, constructed in a way that may prove interesting to a select few. The pacing, however, is slow and mired further by endless random encounters.