9.2

1. edf
    Jan 15, 2009
    I LOVE role playing games and before this had a blast with dragon quest. This one is EXTREMELY boring and hard to navigate. The graphics are so pixelated it's hard to tell what is a treasure chest, or a road, or a person. Everything is REALLY tiny and difficult to view, and I find the game play really boring, and the battles even more so.
  2. MaloD
    Jan 7, 2009
    Grossly overrated. Having not played the original I can only assume it hasn't aged well. A game's is "depth" is only one factor. The gameplay is repetitive and the story is lackluster. Not only that but the game is missing the one feature of the original that could have brought this game up to a 7 for me: Co-op. When you play through a game with someone it can make up for Grossly overrated. Having not played the original I can only assume it hasn't aged well. A game's is "depth" is only one factor. The gameplay is repetitive and the story is lackluster. Not only that but the game is missing the one feature of the original that could have brought this game up to a 7 for me: Co-op. When you play through a game with someone it can make up for tedious gameplay and alters the experience entirely. It's a shame to see so many respected reviewers using such nostalgia bias in their reviews. Although the remake (not reinterpretation) of a game from nearly 15 years ago suggested that it would be heavily reliant on nostalgia. Expand
  3. May 17, 2011
    Definitely overrated. MaloD and edf are right in saying that it's extremely boring and tedious. There is no depth to the gameplay, only repetitions and secrets for those who enjoy them. This is an old RPG, perhaps a masterpiece back then, but we've learned a lot since then. Play only if you have the nostalgia.
  4. Sep 14, 2014
    I really tried to like this game, as it is a legend amongst RPGs.
    However, i simply didnt have any fun with it, it even bored me, and i finally stopped trying to get that feeling so many other players have with this title.

Personally, i cannot recommend this game to anybody, but hardcore nostalgics...

Regardless of whether you played it already or are new to the series, you owe it to yourself to check out this amazing title. [Dec 2008, p.97]
  2. Despite my criticisms, Chrono Trigger is an amazing adventure and a required purchase for ardent fans and anyone who's never played the game before. [Holiday 2008, p.82]
    The game is virtually unchanged in its core, having a new script re-write, but retaining the visuals, music, character designs, interface styles, and options of the source material. At the same time, Square Enix also ensures that this is the definitive version of Chrono Trigger out there, as the game comes complete with every option you could ever want for touch vs. button control, two or single screen display, or game pacing and difficulty.