Chrono Trigger DS

8.9

1. JordanS.n
    Dec 4, 2008
    I have never played this game on any other console (I've always been more of a PC gamer). The story is pretty good so far, but I find the gameplay a little on the shallow side. Battles are pretty boring for the most part, and some of the maps are really hard to navigate, meaning I can hardly tell which parts of the screen are navigable, and which are walls. The puzzles might be I have never played this game on any other console (I've always been more of a PC gamer). The story is pretty good so far, but I find the gameplay a little on the shallow side. Battles are pretty boring for the most part, and some of the maps are really hard to navigate, meaning I can hardly tell which parts of the screen are navigable, and which are walls. The puzzles might be challenging for a 5th grader. Expand
  2. Judd
    Nov 27, 2008
    Yes, fantastic game, but we already knew that. Why is no one else complaining that we're being charged full price for a 15 year old SNES port? Not enough radical additions to justify a radical price.
  3. Adam
    Nov 28, 2008
    I loved the co-op story mode in the first one, but the side missions in this version aren't in anyway a replacement. I was really looking forward to playing alongside my friends online, so it's a real let down that the option wasn't included. Maybe the graphics would have suffered with a split screen but they managed it with Motorstorm ! Aside from that the single player I loved the co-op story mode in the first one, but the side missions in this version aren't in anyway a replacement. I was really looking forward to playing alongside my friends online, so it's a real let down that the option wasn't included. Maybe the graphics would have suffered with a split screen but they managed it with Motorstorm ! Aside from that the single player mode is much improved, but it's annoying how many shots the Chimera need to take before they die and the online modes are as annoying as ever for a casual player fighting kids that are on it all the time. Expand
  4. Aug 13, 2015
    It's a fun, good game game and I'd recommend it to any JRPG fan, but there are some issues that a lot of people overlook. Mainly in character development or should I say lack of. Additionally the Story has some very weak points and is poorly executed in certain parts. Gameplay is pretty solid though, Decent battle system, great soundtrack(although there are a few weak tracks but overallIt's a fun, good game game and I'd recommend it to any JRPG fan, but there are some issues that a lot of people overlook. Mainly in character development or should I say lack of. Additionally the Story has some very weak points and is poorly executed in certain parts. Gameplay is pretty solid though, Decent battle system, great soundtrack(although there are a few weak tracks but overall its great) A game well worth playing! Expand
  5. Feb 15, 2014
    When this game came out on the SNES I would have given it a 10. When it was released on the Playstation I would have still given it a 10. I even had fun playing this as a rom and as an iso. To me this is the fifth installment of this game. I like this game, but I would have liked some new features to be added. I also heard Chrono Break was cancelled because this game didn't sell well.When this game came out on the SNES I would have given it a 10. When it was released on the Playstation I would have still given it a 10. I even had fun playing this as a rom and as an iso. To me this is the fifth installment of this game. I like this game, but I would have liked some new features to be added. I also heard Chrono Break was cancelled because this game didn't sell well. Really? Does SquareEnix really expect a game that has been rereleased so many times to sell well? SquareEnix seems to rely on Squaresoft's accomplishments while failing to succeed on their own. I wish Squaresoft still existed. Expand
  6. Sep 25, 2013
    Lately, I've been on a retro kick and playing 16 and 32-bit games that I never had an opportunity to play when they were new, and because the SNES was the only system I didn't own growing up, Chrono Trigger has always been top on my list. I bought it for the PSX ten years ago but those menu load times... At any rate, I was really excited to finally play it due to being universally praisedLately, I've been on a retro kick and playing 16 and 32-bit games that I never had an opportunity to play when they were new, and because the SNES was the only system I didn't own growing up, Chrono Trigger has always been top on my list. I bought it for the PSX ten years ago but those menu load times... At any rate, I was really excited to finally play it due to being universally praised as one of the best if not the best RPG's ever. I was disappointed and in fact, I think this may just be the most overrated game of all time.

The combat is the best aspect of CT by far. Fun and completely unique at the time, I wish there had been more games modeled after it because I very much enjoyed it even now, and I never felt bored due to the combat. There are techniques to unlock and combine, and the strategy introduced by deciding to wait and use 2 or 3 allies for a skill is a lot of fun. The fact that this was the first game where combat was on the main map is very cool and works great.

Secondly, the graphics are beautiful, and still perfectly acceptable and playable now in 2013. I remember back then seeing pictures of Chrono on the bridge and thinking about how incredible the game looked. The variety of animations for each attack and technique really go a long way towards making things feel fun and fresh. The colors are bright and the spells are impressive.

The music was very good for the most part. I know a lot of people say the music is incredible and for a cartridge it probably was, but I'm spoiled by even earlier games on the Sega CD that had truly fantastic music, specifically the LUNAR series. Still, CT's music was pleasant, I enjoyed it, and it got the job done.

The several side-quests and how they change the future are cool and interestingly done. Personally I don't think there was enough change at certain points in time, and while I won't hold that specifically against the game, this leads me to the bad...

The premise of the plot was good, however, I find that the ball was dropped here in execution... again because of the lack of depth and HORRIBLE pacing. The story is very simple, and virtually everything in the first ten hours of the game progress through happenstance. The problem with that? The game is only 20 hours long!! This is by far the shortest RPG I've ever played and from one plot point to the next, the story moves along with very little discussion or explanation, major plot points are explained and over with nothing more than a sentence or two. Less time is dedicated to major story quests than most games side quests, and you just kind of stumble into things where nothing in the story has any weight because it's all over and done so quickly.

While I generally thought the characters were alright, the issue with the story is represented in them as well. I would like to have loved the characters, I really would. In the end I just know so little about them though. Everyone has so little to say and at any opportunity to express anything, discuss story, or get to know them at all, it's over in a couple of sentences, they're just so flat with little meaningful dialog between themselves and anybody else in the game world. This leaves me with no particular love or interest with anybody from the game.

I honestly don't understand why this game would have been so highly regarded. It had tremendous potential, to be sure, but it never really got off the ground. Given the length alone I would have never spent money on something so short, and yes, I played through to the end of the game on my first playthrough. The extra endings are fun to see and can add some replay value, but the game is so short, and the story so thin that playing again and again would be very repetitive. Besides that, a lot of the endings don't really add a lot or tell only part of the story, and some are accessible after very little time. I won't get into the lack of variety in the area's and how strange a decision it was to not make legitimate towns with everything accessible on the over world but oh well. Anyway, I think my score is generous, I wish there had been more to experience.
  7. Nov 24, 2015
    Chrono Trigger (CT)has been somewhat placed on a pedestal since its original SNES release in 1995. As games go, it's very very good... But it's far from the '10/10' perfect score most people seem to be giving it on here.
    For it's time, the graphics/music/gameplay were top drawer and, as an old school gamer, I wouldn't consider them of utmost importance anyway. A decent RPG needs three things...
    Decent characters, character development and an involving storyline. CT falls down on the first two, and because the storyline of the game isn't actually that long, it's all over far too quickly.
    It doesn't help that the game isn't that difficult either. The map system allows you to skip past most fights, and the one's your forced into can be overcome without much effort.
    Considering the number of much better games in the genre on the SNES, this is a game I would recommend you play, but it isn't one I'd suggest you develop any real expectations of.

#1 Most Discussed DS Game of 2008
#1 Most Shared DS Game of 2008

1. GamePro
    Regardless of whether you played it already or are new to the series, you owe it to yourself to check out this amazing title. [Dec 2008, p.97]
  2. Nintendo Power
    Despite my criticisms, Chrono Trigger is an amazing adventure and a required purchase for ardent fans and anyone who's never played the game before. [Holiday 2008, p.82]
    The game is virtually unchanged in its core, having a new script re-write, but retaining the visuals, music, character designs, interface styles, and options of the source material. At the same time, Square Enix also ensures that this is the definitive version of Chrono Trigger out there, as the game comes complete with every option you could ever want for touch vs. button control, two or single screen display, or game pacing and difficulty.