Contra 4 DS

• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Nov 13, 2007
8.4

1. Jul 22, 2016
    I cannot say I grew up with contra since I was born into the 90s collect-a-thon games, even still this game is one of my favorite on the DS. This was my first contra game and I believe it is the best to start with because it gives you an easy mode (which is not easy the first time...). The game is difficult and probably the most difficult game on the DS, but it's the good kind ofI cannot say I grew up with contra since I was born into the 90s collect-a-thon games, even still this game is one of my favorite on the DS. This was my first contra game and I believe it is the best to start with because it gives you an easy mode (which is not easy the first time...). The game is difficult and probably the most difficult game on the DS, but it's the good kind of difficult. It rewards you for mastering it, and the controls are solid. You will need to master every side of them. After that, it's just run n gun. The fantastic part is that there is a 2 player mode as well, which non of the other similar games on the DS have. The graphics are smooth with a lot of attention to detail. I remember stopping and looking through a random broken window in one of the stages and finding a fully detailed office when they could've just added a grey background. Expand
  2. Apr 27, 2016
    The frustrating and extreme difficulty is one of the main reasons i don't give this game a higher score. I understand that challenge should be part of videogames and it ads replay value, but when developers take difficulty and raise it to the extreme and insane level, there's not much to enjoy. Dying each minute is not funny at all, even if you are a skilled player and even if you finishedThe frustrating and extreme difficulty is one of the main reasons i don't give this game a higher score. I understand that challenge should be part of videogames and it ads replay value, but when developers take difficulty and raise it to the extreme and insane level, there's not much to enjoy. Dying each minute is not funny at all, even if you are a skilled player and even if you finished most of the main contra games (like myself), even if you are a hardcore gamer you will suffer and you will find this game almost impossible. It would have been better if they let you choose more continues or at least a saving system. The easy mode is too easy and the normal mode is too hard.
    Other than extreme challenge, Contra 4 is great, the graphics and the music are very enjoyable and the gameplay is good and fluid, just like a true 2D sidescroller should be. The content of the game is very good and the whole 9 stages are long and insanely hard, and the replay value is awesome. The screen is not very precise, both screens are not well designed together and it ads confusion to the gameplay, and you can notice more of that in the vertical scrolling levels. The music and sound were very improved and the guitar sound at the end of stages gives you a good feeling of accomplishment. At the end of the day Contra 4 is one of the hardest games i have ever played in my life, but a very good one.
  3. Jun 2, 2014
    Too trial and telegraph even for Contra, but one playthrough unlocks the more accessible mission mode- a collection of short runs and challenges- and playable roms for both original NES titles. A hard to beat package, despite the main content's simon-says approach to difficulty.
  4. ERB
    Aug 2, 2013
    All contra games are good but this one is the best.It is very fun playing it and it is also addicting as well.I must say this,this is far the best DS game I've ever played.
  5. Jan 2, 2011
    On Easy mode, this game is not too hard to complete. I'm happy to see this title, which is not for babies, so those who find it difficult, just begin practising.
    I've finished all challenges and bonus content really worth playing it!
    Great 2D graphics with a pinch of 3D, rocking music and a memorable 20-th anniversary for my childhood's favorite NES game.
  6. AnonymousMC
    Oct 11, 2009
    This is probably my favorite DS exclusive game other than The World Ends With You. The concept is simple - run right and kill everything - but it's so challenging! The game seems to deliberatly try to be cheap at points, but it feels like it's part of the game. Challenge mode and tons of extras including bonous characters and the original Contra and Super C add a lot of replay.This is probably my favorite DS exclusive game other than The World Ends With You. The concept is simple - run right and kill everything - but it's so challenging! The game seems to deliberatly try to be cheap at points, but it feels like it's part of the game. Challenge mode and tons of extras including bonous characters and the original Contra and Super C add a lot of replay. The graphics are pretty and colorful, and the music rules (although the soundeffects suck). Try out this game first because I doubt everyone is into this kind of awesome game. Collapse
  7. AnonymousMC
    Sep 15, 2008
    Frustrating difficulty and sub-par graphics are hugely detrimental to this game. The gameplay is solid, but the hordes of enemies, bosses, and perfectly timed jumps make this a tedious experience on the higher difficulties. I understand that the creators were trying to maintain the nostalgic graphics of the original game, but that does not excuse them for being pixelated and generallyFrustrating difficulty and sub-par graphics are hugely detrimental to this game. The gameplay is solid, but the hordes of enemies, bosses, and perfectly timed jumps make this a tedious experience on the higher difficulties. I understand that the creators were trying to maintain the nostalgic graphics of the original game, but that does not excuse them for being pixelated and generally bland. The unlockables are a plus; the two full games definitely adds to the replay value... if you can achieve them. This is a hardcore game for the 80s generation of gamers, and it shows. Only recommended for those who thrive with frustration. Expand
  8. MattS.
    Jan 29, 2008
    Contra 4 on the DS is definitely one of the best games available, and even more so in the realm of old-school challenges. Wayforward have crafted the best Contra available, and it's ready and waiting in your pocket!
  9. JohnL.
    Jan 27, 2008
    Drips testosterone from beginning till Game Over screen - of which I've seen hundreds so far, but it does not frustrate me in the slightest. Yes, it is true that Contra 4 forces you to learn the ropes in the hardest way imaginable in these days of pampering developers who tell us to ''go there and do this", throwing health packs and check points at every corner of their Drips testosterone from beginning till Game Over screen - of which I've seen hundreds so far, but it does not frustrate me in the slightest. Yes, it is true that Contra 4 forces you to learn the ropes in the hardest way imaginable in these days of pampering developers who tell us to ''go there and do this", throwing health packs and check points at every corner of their prolonged, 'epic' games. In that sense, Contra 4 might seem unfair and 'archaic', but it is in fact part of its strength. From the moment you're dropped into Hell on Earth, going from one adrenaline-pumping set piece to the other, not a single second is wasted explaining or padding out anything. This, ladies, is a game for aggressive men like me: no filler, simply pure, distilled action, as it should be. Expand
  10. TylerW.
    Jan 21, 2008
    Long-time Contra fans, let me assure you: This game is hard. Go get it!
    Dec 29, 2007
    It has a fun challenge mode, main game , and bonus features. The only things that makes it a 9 is the gap between the screens, and the difficulty (no game genie). Over-all a fun game worth buying.
  12. Pekka
    Dec 15, 2007
    Even though I've already completed all 40 challenges from Challenge Mode (therefore unlocking everything that there is to the game) and finished the main game on Easy, Normal and Hard. I still enjoy playing this game. It's just so enjoyable. One of the best games I've played for a loooooong time. Highly recommended for 2D shooter fans, and especially for Contra fans.
  13. TomD.
    Dec 9, 2007
    I got scared intitally by the critics that this game was too hard, while it is hard not scary hard like ninja gaiden. A lot like that game the difficulty is rewarded with precise contra action that has not seen the light of day since SNES. Good stuff good times. I wish it were a litttle prettier maybe a PSP version just keep the damn thing 2D.
  14. ChrisC.
    Dec 7, 2007
    Easily the best NES game made in the last ten years. I'd forgotten what it was like to start a level and not have absolute certainty I'd be able to finish it in that play. Newer games coddle you so much. If they do have any difficulty, it doesn't matter if you die, because you can just go back to your last save five seconds ago and try again with full health. Contra IV is Easily the best NES game made in the last ten years. I'd forgotten what it was like to start a level and not have absolute certainty I'd be able to finish it in that play. Newer games coddle you so much. If they do have any difficulty, it doesn't matter if you die, because you can just go back to your last save five seconds ago and try again with full health. Contra IV is the first game I've played in years that if you beat a level, you freaking earned it. The only problem is that I wish things weren't shooting at you from both the bottom and top screens at the same time. You can't physically watch both screens at once. If you keep an eye on stuff in the top screen, something comes out of nowhere on the bottom screen to kill you. If you focus on the bottom screen, something from the top screen will drop something on you. Since you have such limited lives, it means the only way to get through is to memorize the game. Whereas in earlier Contras, you could *see* anything that was coming at you, so you could see it and deal with it instead of having to memorize where it is. Expand
  15. XianB.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Remember in the 80s when people began predicting that children who played video games would grow up to be neurosurgeons and fighter pilots of the future due to better reflexes and hand-eye coordination? Contra 4 is a return to that kind of gaming. Everybody says it's hard, but the better word would be CHALLENGING. The level design is never cheap (nothing hidden in the gap on Remember in the 80s when people began predicting that children who played video games would grow up to be neurosurgeons and fighter pilots of the future due to better reflexes and hand-eye coordination? Contra 4 is a return to that kind of gaming. Everybody says it's hard, but the better word would be CHALLENGING. The level design is never cheap (nothing hidden in the gap on purpose), the enemies overwhelming but never impossible, and when you die you know precisely what you did wrong and who to blame. Not one for the soccer moms, but you needn't be super hardcore to enjoy Contra's over-the-top action either. Expand
  16. AshishUbharani
    Nov 29, 2007
    Yes I like that game and i like to buy it also but i dont know that what is the price of this game and should you send me the price of this chip game
  17. GioD.
    Nov 23, 2007
    Contra is back baby! I, like many other people were skeptical. Developer Wayforward was handling da next contra!? NOOOO! But guys i owe u a huge apology, cause this game KICKS ASS. Everything u know n love about contra is here. Screen fillin bosses, insane difficulty, classic weapons, its all here. Dont let da fact dat its on DS put u off, it will turn u into little school girls n crush Contra is back baby! I, like many other people were skeptical. Developer Wayforward was handling da next contra!? NOOOO! But guys i owe u a huge apology, cause this game KICKS ASS. Everything u know n love about contra is here. Screen fillin bosses, insane difficulty, classic weapons, its all here. Dont let da fact dat its on DS put u off, it will turn u into little school girls n crush ur soul. N thats just how we TRUE contra fans like it. Buy immediately. Expand
  18. UweP.
    Nov 21, 2007
    When Konami outsourced development of Contra 4 to an american developer, I was certain it was the final nail in the coffin for the franchise. Wayforward have proved me very, very wrong, however. They have taken everything that I love about Contra - including the brutal, but fair difficulty level - and delievered a relentless thrill ride that never gets old. Not only do I consider it to be When Konami outsourced development of Contra 4 to an american developer, I was certain it was the final nail in the coffin for the franchise. Wayforward have proved me very, very wrong, however. They have taken everything that I love about Contra - including the brutal, but fair difficulty level - and delievered a relentless thrill ride that never gets old. Not only do I consider it to be on par with the series' pinnacle, Contra III, but quite simply the best gung-ho action game currently available on _any_ platform. Expand
  19. EricR.
    Nov 20, 2007
    A very challenging game that I haven't even beat yet on easy, but it is very fun. If you are used to old school contra, super C, and contra 3 then you will love this game. you can even unlock contra and super C, but it's only 1 player. There are two negatives one is the occasional enemy bullet that will get lost in between the two screen and comes out of nowhere to throw you A very challenging game that I haven't even beat yet on easy, but it is very fun. If you are used to old school contra, super C, and contra 3 then you will love this game. you can even unlock contra and super C, but it's only 1 player. There are two negatives one is the occasional enemy bullet that will get lost in between the two screen and comes out of nowhere to throw you off. That's not to big of a deal, because you start to anticipate it and usually can avoid them. The other one is the only reason this game wasn't given a higher rating. I am very disappointed that there isn't 2 player with 1 card capability. If you want to play 2 players you have to buy 2 games. Very disappointing in my opinion. Expand
  20. DavidT.
    Nov 19, 2007
    This game is the perfect follow up to Contra III. Newcomers should try out Contra III (available on the Wii Virtual Console) first. Contra 4 has easily 3 times as much content III, plus emulated versions of Contra and Super C. Highly recommended for Contra fans, old-school fans, 2D shooter fans and action fans in general.
  21. E.B.
    Nov 17, 2007
    Finally, a game that's challenging and with no stupid dialog or cut scenes. Because of the reasons I just mentioned, Contra 4 is my favorite game on the DS.
  22. RalphH
    Nov 16, 2007
    This game is just what the Contra series needed. Sure, it may be tough, but hey, it's Contra. It takes me back to the days when the series was still good. Hopefully, there will be more games like this, even if it's not from the Contra series. We need more old school games that make you earn the right to beat it.
  23. TonyG.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Hardest game I have played in decades! Great graphics, great music, and great old school fun makes this an instant classic.2-D at its best. good luck even beating on easy mode!

#8 Most Discussed DS Game of 2007
#2 Most Shared DS Game of 2007

1. Nintendo Power
    Otherwise, as long as you're open to its old-school approach, Contra 4 stands as one of the year's best pure action titles. [Dec 2007, p.81]
    Contra 4 is great Contra Fan Service. The core game design is a fresh fight that stays true to the 8 and 16-bit editions. At the same time, you can unlock two of the games that the fans hold near and dear, and via an in-game museum you can view the series' timeline through boxart and screen grabs.
    While Contra 4 doesn't necessarily improve on the respected series template, it's unquestionably a return to form, likely to sate rabid fans while simultaneously terrorizing unprepared newbies.