7.4

Feb 26, 2009
    Disgaea feels out of place on the DS. The core game is there, and its still fun, however the limitations of the DS show. Having played both the PSP and the DS versions I have to recommend Disgaea PSP. The visuals and sound are much higher quality, and to be honest, the touch controls (while functional) don't really work well enough for my tastes. PSP also offers faster load times Disgaea feels out of place on the DS. The core game is there, and its still fun, however the limitations of the DS show. Having played both the PSP and the DS versions I have to recommend Disgaea PSP. The visuals and sound are much higher quality, and to be honest, the touch controls (while functional) don't really work well enough for my tastes. PSP also offers faster load times (somehow) and the actual suspend mode which can keep your charge for weeks if you're not playing (very nice for when you're away from home and don't have your charger, your battery goes to playing the game rather than the halfway suspend.) That said, the bonus features of the DS version have me a little envious. I'd love to see it show up as DLC for the PSP. I'd also kill for cross-platform multiplayer. Bottom line: Get Disgaea DS if you don't have a PSP or if you plan on playing with friends that only have a DS. Getting both will only make you lament the missing parts of the other. Expand
  2. Nov 6, 2010
    http://noodleblog-noodle.blogspot.com/2010/01/disgaea-ds-while-back-very-strange-game.html Read my full review here. Also check out my others posts for more tantilising stuff!
  3. BartoszB.
    Oct 5, 2008
    Just to be short: addictive game-play, great plot, awesome sense of humor (a scene where Etna made Prinnies work, made my heart cry), feel of being EVIL and the only quirk is the video/sound lower quality, but still it doesn't ruin the game. Buy it, if you don't own it (yet)!
  4. AnonymousMC
    Jan 3, 2009
    Still solid, still funny after a few years. It's a sign of a game that's made well in the first place. It's overly complicated at times, but you don't need to know everything. Plus, you can throw exploding penguins and stack people to throw further. It's cheap, too, so get it NOW.
  5. JesusH
    Apr 3, 2009
    I love this games is really funny, but the real reason I writte this is because theres a mistake in one of your scores, Meristation give it a grade of 8.5 not 5, even in the link in the page the 8.5 score appears. Please try to amend this, because I love this game and is really sad when the meta score is afected by this kind of mistake
  6. ChristianB
    Aug 15, 2009
    As a fan of tactical games such as Advance Wars, Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics, I saw this in the shops and thought "why not" and bought this game on spur of the moment. And it's now one of my favourite games of all time. I'll definitely be playing the previously released titles.
  7. May 25, 2013
    Disgaea DS is one of the most amazing games you will ever play. Disgaea DS is also the most feature rich version of them all. Disgaea DS is packed with hundreds or even thousands hours of gameplay, great stories and huge amount of customization. Simply put, Disgaea DS is must buy for all Nintendo DS owners.
  8. Feb 26, 2014
    DISGAEA DS perfectly replicates the orignal in just about everyway, from graphics, to gameplay, to its humor, and adds even MORE content than the orginal, including previously un-recruitable characters, pushing the Nintendo DS beyond its capabilities like we never imagined. DISGAEA DS is without a doubt proof that NIPPON ICHI SOFTWARE should make more DISGAEA games for Nintendo consoles.DISGAEA DS perfectly replicates the orignal in just about everyway, from graphics, to gameplay, to its humor, and adds even MORE content than the orginal, including previously un-recruitable characters, pushing the Nintendo DS beyond its capabilities like we never imagined. DISGAEA DS is without a doubt proof that NIPPON ICHI SOFTWARE should make more DISGAEA games for Nintendo consoles. This version of DISGAEA HOUR OF DARKNESS for the DS (and its direct, three years later sequel, DISGAEA D2 A Brighter Darkness) is the best games of the series and is a must have-must buy game. This also proof that everyone's favorite Overlord, King Laharl SHOULD be the main protagonist more often. Expand

1. If you haven't played it and strategy RPGs are your thing, though, it's hard to get much better than this. [Oct 2008, p.88]
    If you haven't picked up a copy of Disgaea previously, be sure to give the DS version a try. [Oct 2008, p.93]
  3. If you've already played through another version, there’s enough extras to make the purchase entertaining; if you've never played Disgaea before, this is a great place to start.