8.2

1. Oct 27, 2010
    It's great to see a remake of a game that is finally stateside! I remember Dragon Quest Seven's graphics and this title must be using the same engine. DQ IV is very colorful and vibrant and the characters are so well done, I care for each character as they go through their adventures. If you have yet to play a DQ game, this is a very good starting point.
  2. Jan 23, 2012
    Outstanding port of one of my favorite NES games. I was anxiously looking forward to this one when I first heard it announced, and it did not disappoint. The graphics update was sweet, and the extra post-game content, that much sweeter. The NPC's accents were laid on a bit heavy, but it does give the game a bit more character then it had the first time around.
  3. May 1, 2011
    Oh, Dragon Quest, what would we do without your pioneering? This Chapter of the series, conveniently subtitled â
  4. Jul 25, 2013
    The over-ambitious NES vision is properly realized on the DS with few flaws and great pace. A lengthy but satisfying quest that never takes itself too seriously.
  5. Apr 2, 2012
    A great game worth checking out for anyone who enjoys older RPGs, such as the Final Fantasies from 1 to 6. The writing was clever (especially with all the regional accents thrown in), the characters and their individual introduction chapters were all interesting, and the gameplay was solid. There were some downsides though: very few side quests, no auto-fight option in battles, occasional lag in crowded towns, and the game seemed especially vague about where you had to travel next sometimes. Like I said though, if you like older RPGs, this is definitely worth playing. Expand
  6. Oct 10, 2013
    Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen is the first DQ installment on the DS and an enhanced remake of the NES classic Dragon Warrior IV Story: The story is divided into various chapters, all starring your future party members and their own story or quest, it is unique in a way that you get to know your party members and their personal motives behind it all. Eventually you'll get to the part where everyone joins forces and the main hero (you!) get introduced proper, from then onward you'll try and stop a certain Psaro the Manslayer (Who looks kinda like Sephiroth the elf?), who's out to evolve into the ultimate being and rid the world from all evil, after the story is beaten you can replay the ending with a twist, which I won't spoil here. ;-)

There's some sidequests to be done, like casino games and increasing your frontier town by looking for people interested to move there.

Gameplay:
    The gameplay is similar to any console-like RPG of it's kind, you train your party members as they gain XP and other stats, talking to people to get clues on where to venture next, defeating monsters to get coins to buy upgraded armor and weapons.

There is a huge overworld where you to leave town in which you'll be able to ride a ship and even a hot air balloon as you progress trough the story.

Battles are fought out in a 1st person perspective as you can see your enemies moving and doing their own thing, the pace of these battles you can decide yourself by manually doing everything or letting the AI decide the right course of action, it makes decent decisions and ensures you stay alive, tho I advice doing it manually at boss fights, I usually had the healer controller by the AI with spellcasters under my own command.

Controls:
    I played this on a 3DS XL and I must say the circle pad was heavenly, as the characters can actually move in 8 directions, but it's really annoying to do on the D-Pad, other then that I have no complaints, everything is mapped to the right button, movement is fluid.

Graphics:
    It seems to be using the graphic style found in Dragon Quest VII on the PS1, personally I think it has a charm to it, it's a 3D world inhabited by 2D/Sprite characters and objects, still they look quite good.
    I'm assuming it's hit or miss for some people, but it does the job well enough for me.

Music:
    The music is your typical Dragon Quest kind, it's very melodical with a classical touch to it, some songs are better then others, I very much like the song Homeland, played when your hero traverses the overworld...

Positives:
    + Charming graphics that capture the Dragon Quest spirit
    + Chapter system, showing you what drove your party members to join your cause
    + The battles are fun and paced to your own desire
    + Able to continue game after beating it with a suprise twist!
    + Some songs are amazing!

Negatives:
    - Having no circle pad when not on a 3DS, seems annoying to move diagonally
    - While the story is good, it takes a backseat after the main quest starts
    - Some songs are not!

Conclusion:
    This is an excellent game and Dragon Quest experience on the go, the story while lacking near the end still holds up pretty well to keep you going all the way trough. The battles are good and the overworld is fun to explore.

1. For a gussied-up remake of an NES game, Dragon Quest IV features some nice touches.
  2. A decent adventure, but it'll require persistence to get the most from it. [Oct 2008, p.94]
  3. If you have played it and are wondering whether it's as good as you remember, it is. It may even be better than you remember.