7.8

1. Apr 28, 2012
    I'm on fence right now whether this game's worth 6 or 7. On one hand, the game has certainly improved since it's first DS instalment. Giant monsters are now a prominent part of a gameplay, and can be both defeated and captured. The locations are also a lot better than the last time, even though they can still feel a little empty. Building and leveling your ultimate team is as fun as it'sI'm on fence right now whether this game's worth 6 or 7. On one hand, the game has certainly improved since it's first DS instalment. Giant monsters are now a prominent part of a gameplay, and can be both defeated and captured. The locations are also a lot better than the last time, even though they can still feel a little empty. Building and leveling your ultimate team is as fun as it's always been, while the graphics are quite nice to the eye. The monster's designs are a mishmash of both cute and badass, and many of them, in their sheer quirkiness, give Pokemon a run for the money (to give you an example, your starter monster is... two mutated peppers skewered on a BBQ spit). And yet, at the same time, the game manages to have an absolute worst plot I have ever seen, so bad that I had to write a sentence about it even though I normally don't give a crap about plot in those type of games. Many gameplay elements are flawed. Scouting (capturing) large monsters is a typical case of fake difficulty, while synthesising has an annoying rule about leveling monsters to level 10. Seriously, what's the point? To artificially bloat my gameplay time? No thanks, I'd rather do something else. Soundtrack was shamelessly cp'ed from the first game, which wouldn't even be that much of a problem if it was actually good. With all things considered, I'm giving this game a 6.5, rounded up to 7. If you're a plot sensitive type avoid this game at all costs. Those interested in a classic jRPG experience, though, should find something to enjoy in DQM:J2. Expand
  2. Nov 5, 2011
    Capture monsters from around a fantasy world, build a team, and battle them against other teams. Sounds like Pokemon, right? I'd be lying if I said this game wasn't a LOT like it, but it's the differences that make DQM a lot more fun and casual. For starters, capturing is much less of a pain. Once you spot a monster you want, you sic your team on him for one turn. They each attack andCapture monsters from around a fantasy world, build a team, and battle them against other teams. Sounds like Pokemon, right? I'd be lying if I said this game wasn't a LOT like it, but it's the differences that make DQM a lot more fun and casual. For starters, capturing is much less of a pain. Once you spot a monster you want, you sic your team on him for one turn. They each attack and build up a bar to a certain percentage, and then you either get lucky or you don't. But you know EXACTLY how close you were. If something is nearly impossible to catch, you'll know you're wasting your time. And forget having to memorize moveset lists and worrying about eggs and daycare and junk. Here you just combine two monsters together and choose which new one you'd like along with any skills you want them to inherit. I'd nearly forgotten about the actual plot of the game as I spent hours messing with my teams, making huge dragons and angelic slimes and whatnot. In fact, the story is pretty forgettable overall, but that's on par for basically every Dragon Quest game. You come for the gameplay, the colorful art, the terrible/funny puns, and an enjoyable waste of time. Definitely worth your money if you're a DQ or Pokemon fan! Expand
  3. Oct 16, 2011
    Fun to any DQ or even JRPG player, I didn't realize where the time goes because you get immersed in the world and building/leveling your team.

For me the DQ and DQM series haven't been necessarily about story, it has been exploring and growing as well as changing my team. Moving from area to area is just a way to test and grow your team. At this DQMJ2 does an awesome job, you have a variety of monsters and moving them up is a fun process.

The synthesis process, while fun, still is not 100% there. Changing classes, monsters is a crap shoot unless you go through lengthy online forums or even guides to say monster a is this and b is that. Through trial and error I managed to make a large dragon and some level B creatures, but never advanced beyond there. This also leads into the reason why the game is a solid 8.

In synthesizing and leveling I guess I lost track of the games end goal as well and the ending, at least to me, seemed very sudden and I personally thought the game had more to it.

But those gripes are minor at best, I still put in close to 30 hours into the game and again I would put this in the must buy for RPG fans and DS owners.
  4. Oct 7, 2011
    It's definitely a fun and addicting game. I think the game now has nearly twice the monsters as DQM 1 which was my main gripe in the previous instalement. I'm still not a fan of the synthesis in comparison with the breeding system found in Dragon warrior monsters 1 and 2, as it doesn't feel as natural. Despite how breeding has been omitted (which I think is because of the younger targetIt's definitely a fun and addicting game. I think the game now has nearly twice the monsters as DQM 1 which was my main gripe in the previous instalement. I'm still not a fan of the synthesis in comparison with the breeding system found in Dragon warrior monsters 1 and 2, as it doesn't feel as natural. Despite how breeding has been omitted (which I think is because of the younger target audience), the synthesis of some monsters is extrodinarily time consuming. To make matters worse, monsters that are scouted once, or have been owned, are much harder to scout. The ranking system is also strange, and makes some monsters more valuable than others (though this doesn't usually reflect how valuable or how rare the monster is). Some cool features about DQM 2 Joker is that size was introduced. Now huge monsters actually are huge, and make up two or three monsters. This means that your team may consist of a single huge and powerful monster!

I had fun with this game, just don't expect to collect every monster as this would require you to win some online tournaments.
  5. Oct 16, 2011

1. Dec 4, 2011
    Square Enix and development team TOSE have delivered yet another superb entry into the series that may not challenge Pokémon in terms of worldwide sales, but certainly does match it in many ways in the quality stakes.
  2. Nov 29, 2011
    A monster collector game that draws on the Dragon Quest series fauna of iconic monsters. Being more complex than Pokémon, this is a game to be played primarily for the joy of breeding and raising little monsters, as the story offers little interest. If you like Dragon Quest and Pokémon, this is the a game for you.
  3. Nov 15, 2011
    A quite interesting traditional RPG with pokémonesque collection elements. Too bad the story is just a cheap excuse for level-grinding. [Nov 2011]