• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Sep 21, 2010
8.3

1. Sep 1, 2011
    I'm at a crossroads on deciding whether this installment or the second one is the best Etrian Odyssey game for most lovers of the RPG "dungeon crawl genre"... Both greatly improved its game play design over its previous title, but this third one might have taken customization a bit too far.
    Still, for me it is the best of the three, though, because you can still play the old fashion way without getting too far into the extra customization tools. But this one is definitely a deeper experience, and probably will double the already extra-large number of hours the previous games demanded from the player.
    It includes a side mini-game that explores a sea around the land where the story takes place. While entertaining, it has not taken a hold of my attention for too long, and it is a very different kind of game than the one you expect from this series.
    And speaking of the story, veterans of the Etrian Odyssey series should be warned that this is a completely separate story, so don't expect any continuity despite the "III" on the title.
    If you haven't played any of the games, I would probably recommend to play the second one over this one first, and if you plan to play only one... maybe you should get the second one! (You will find it hard NOT to play this one if you finish the second one, though!)

1. Feb 1, 2011
    Old school RPG junkies will have a good time, even if it's marred by repetitive mechanics and an extreme difficulty!
  2. Jan 11, 2011
    Atlus believed that it could push the series that little bit further, however, and discover something special within the Etrian Odyssey formula. In The Drowned City, it has found it. [Christmas 2010, p.122]
  3. Oct 21, 2010
    While everyone feels a certain sense of accomplishment after completing a game, Etrian Odyssey III's exploration and incredible challenge make it rewarding throughout.