• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: May 15, 2007
8.8

1. Sep 1, 2011
    This was my absolutely favorite RPG game on the DS... Until parts II & III came along. Those two add a lot to the game play, and refine the user interface and item collection management.
    If not for its sequels, I'd give it a ten, which maybe it's not fair since I'm reviewing this game years after it came out.
    I do recommend, however, to play the games in sequence, not because the story
    might be relevant (it has a minimum story line, which is one of its strengths), but because it is more fun to feel the progression of the series' design.
    One thing that this first installment does have above its sequels, in my opinion: the character artwork is my favorite here!

1. Kids weaned on "Final Fantasy VII" likely won't have the patience for it, but questers of the appropriate age(and/or nerdy enough to dig the Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack)should dive in. [June 2007, p.92]
  2. In reality though, Etrian Odyssey is a challenging, ballsy, rewarding game that gives the otherwise stagnant RPG genre a swift, much-needed kick in the ass. [June 2007, p.62]
    The real appeal of Etrian Odyssey is the renaissance of the classic RPG. Instead of a world that conforms to your level and rewards you with HP every time you level up, you have to strategize about which characters will enter the Labyrinth, how best to allot skill points among your characters, who charges the front line and who stays in back, and how much money you have to spend on reviving dead characters.