Final Fantasy IV DS

7.7

1. Apr 9, 2011
    This game is a true classic, one of the quintessential games of the genre. Anyone that's played the original SNES title and liked it will be able to go on and on about how they liked it. The bard is still spoony, and hang it all I cracked up all over again once I hit that line. The graphics are good, and on the whole the game stays true to the original. So why the 6 rating? BecauseThis game is a true classic, one of the quintessential games of the genre. Anyone that's played the original SNES title and liked it will be able to go on and on about how they liked it. The bard is still spoony, and hang it all I cracked up all over again once I hit that line. The graphics are good, and on the whole the game stays true to the original. So why the 6 rating? Because the %^*#!$* thing after a point becomes as hard as trying to solo an original Everquest character to the level cap while pretending the bazaar doesn't exist. While the high level of customization helped mitigate this somewhat, I found myself grinding far more than I felt was fun. By the end of the game, I simply felt overwhelmed as the difficulty combined with an overly complex skill system. Sure, I felt rewarded after I beat it, but the next time I play through this game, I'll replace the memory battery in the original cart and play it on my SNES. Expand
  2. JackH
    Aug 19, 2008
    Great game. Much better than the awful Final Fantasy III iteration that had absolutely NO redeemable qualities (basic good vs. evil plot with NO character development).
    I digress, this game has what makes an rpg great...but my one big nag (CON) is the battle speed. GRUELINGLY slooooowww. Even with battle speed set to max it still takes forever to do anything. seriously, was near 20 seconds of waiting b/w attack turns. To make matters worse still...an enemy had cast SLOW on me...i already felt as though i had omega slow cast on me without any enemy help :P. but when slow is cast on you it's 2x worse (>_<). This is the only thing that hinders this game imo. but it is so annoying that it hurts it by 3 points...sorry but i don't have all day to wait to fight mobs in an rpg.
  3. MikeG
    Dec 2, 2009
    It's kind of hard for me to get excited about a game that was released just a few years ago on GBA. Sure it looks nice, but that really doesn't justify it.
  4. Mar 4, 2013
    Personally I liked the FF III Remake more. I dont know why but i could not get warm with this remake of Final Fantasy IV. Was almost at the end but did not have the motivation to play it trough.
  5. Oct 25, 2014
    The 7 goes for the DS version and thats being generous, i dont need one of my fav rpgs of all time getting ruined by ugly blocky dated 3D polygons. Get the psp version instead, i own both, and while i prefer the 2d psp one, the DS has some merits for the hardcore fans who wanna play several combinations of their beloved game. This one has voices and some cinematic sequences that aren'tThe 7 goes for the DS version and thats being generous, i dont need one of my fav rpgs of all time getting ruined by ugly blocky dated 3D polygons. Get the psp version instead, i own both, and while i prefer the 2d psp one, the DS has some merits for the hardcore fans who wanna play several combinations of their beloved game. This one has voices and some cinematic sequences that aren't needed to enjoy the beautiful tale that ff4 delivers. Expand

#10 Most Discussed DS Game of 2008
#7 Most Shared DS Game of 2008

If you are a big fan, then I can't see you being disappointed with the game unless you really hate the graphical style or the voices.
    Ultimately, Final Fantasy IV remains the same epic experience it was 17 years ago, and improvements on the DS are a welcome treat for fans of the series and newcomers to the franchise. [Aug 2008, p.80]
  3. Nintendo Power
    The developers have done everything they needed to do to win over a new generation of Final Fantasy IV fans, but they've done disappointingly little to appeal to the existing ones. [Aug 2008, p.86]