Final Fantasy IV DS

8.4

1. JackH
    Jul 29, 2008
    A fantastic remake that's great for people new to the game and old-schoolers alike! Perfectly tweaked difficulty, and the augment system surprised me with its enjoyable diversity. It's fun to see all the cut scenes more fleshed out, the dialogue is much more well-written throughout, and there are a couple significant additions to the story (one part, in particular).
  2. TroyP.
    Jul 28, 2008
    This is the greatest RPG of all time. Amazing story, great characters, and challenging gameplay.
  3. ThomasW
    Feb 8, 2009
    Nostalgic perfection - I cannot have asked for a more faithful and gorgeous reimagining of this landmark game. Definitely a 10!
  4. RIchC
    Oct 22, 2008
    I had only played III on DS in the series before this and this is much much better. Only fault is that the last boss is too easy, and the battle system can be little slow early on in the game, apart from that an absolute great game.
  5. AnonymousMC
    Dec 24, 2008
    I love Final Fantasy 4 DS! Whenever I have nothing to do, I always play it. It's enough to warm gamer's hearts from the 1991 SNES Version.
  6. FouadM
    Sep 29, 2008
    Great game, almost better than the original! Certainly a better version for the modern generation.
  7. Dec 29, 2012
    Not the best RPG on the Nintendo DS, but Final Fantasy IV is an incredible experience that withstands the test of time. Excellent story and characters, decent gameplay, great graphics, and amazing soundtrack.
  8. Oct 23, 2010
    A real good example on how to remake a great game up to modern standards. This game is a good reflection of the original while improving on new areas of the game.
  9. Nov 4, 2010
    As I play through all the games in order (I'm currently on VI), this is my favorite of the first five. The story has anything you could possibly ask for in a fantasy story. There are plenty of likeable characters (well voiced in the cinematic scenes as well), and the gameplay is a lot of fun. Me personally, I enjoy not having to deal with the job system because it just adds too many moreAs I play through all the games in order (I'm currently on VI), this is my favorite of the first five. The story has anything you could possibly ask for in a fantasy story. There are plenty of likeable characters (well voiced in the cinematic scenes as well), and the gameplay is a lot of fun. Me personally, I enjoy not having to deal with the job system because it just adds too many more variables that I have to worry about. It's irritating for me to have to try things over and over because I'm not using the right classes, and then when I do, I have to level them up all over again. Here, the characters are cut and dry. Some are knights, some are dragoons, some are monks, etc. Another plus is that you can have 5 people in your party at once, which is the most of the first six games at least, so you can really lay the smack down on the enemies you fight. With everything I've said, I realize I can't say much that hasn't already been said, if anything. Final Fantasy IV has to be one of the highlights of the series, and even played out of context with III or V, it's a really fun game. Expand
  10. Feb 23, 2012
    The best RPG experience on the DS, it's simply great. The graphics are excellent for the DS, there are full VA cutscenes weaved into the story, lots of customization and everything that FFIII missed. Active time battle system is still great after all these years and the difficulty keeps you on your toes. A game you don't want to miss on the DS.
  11. Mar 20, 2012
    The best RPG of Nintendo DS. It is a very beautiful Final Fantasy, with an interesting and unforgettable history and a few prominent figures. New and powerful graphs, great game play, spectacular intro, precious music and little more that to ask.
  12. Sep 29, 2013
    While this is a remake of a game with many commonly spoiled details, it's easy to see why it was a classic. The characters are mostly well developed (except the twins for me.) and easy to attach to. And it was interesting for me to play with a party of 5 rather than the standard 4. The graphics are beautiful, if outdated now, as the story can be, but it's a very fun game. My onlyWhile this is a remake of a game with many commonly spoiled details, it's easy to see why it was a classic. The characters are mostly well developed (except the twins for me.) and easy to attach to. And it was interesting for me to play with a party of 5 rather than the standard 4. The graphics are beautiful, if outdated now, as the story can be, but it's a very fun game. My only gripe is that some bosses had no way for me to figure out a weakness or strategy on my own.
    Art: 8
    Music: 6
    Story: 8
    Gameplay: 8
  13. Dec 26, 2015
    there is a strong nostalgia factor for me, no doubt about that.
    Story is good (nothing exceptional), it is challenging and complex game to a point that fine tuning your party could bring give an huge amount of hours. Replay value is great. The augment addition is awesome.
    3d was one of the points of this game, so it obviously aged quickly, and pretty badly. I took 2 points off for 2
    there is a strong nostalgia factor for me, no doubt about that.

I took 2 points off for 2 reasons:
    - lazy ds port. When a game uses the touchscreen only to display maps and info, you know that's a lazy port.
    - while the sound effects are good, the music is pretty disappointing. Only 1, maybe 2 tunes worth remembering and they play over and over. Was it really that hard to give us a couple dungeon music more?
    Ended up muting the game after 15 hours (played 35, 1 playthrough). Disappoint effort from Mr Uematsu.
    I still recommend this game anyway.

#10 Most Discussed DS Game of 2008
#8 Most Shared DS Game of 2008

If you are a big fan, then I can't see you being disappointed with the game unless you really hate the graphical style or the voices.
    Ultimately, Final Fantasy IV remains the same epic experience it was 17 years ago, and improvements on the DS are a welcome treat for fans of the series and newcomers to the franchise. [Aug 2008, p.80]
  3. Nintendo Power
    The developers have done everything they needed to do to win over a new generation of Final Fantasy IV fans, but they've done disappointingly little to appeal to the existing ones. [Aug 2008, p.86]