7.1

1. Sep 25, 2011
    Is there any possibility for Squenix to actually make a real sequel to the original? I hate to be racist, but I actually enjoyed the total lack of humanoids in the original. Fix the speed issue, ditch some absurdly unbalanced classes, tack in a few that were skipped, and leave the JP system alone. I enjoy various forms of weapon-involving martial arts, and I can't remember the last timeIs there any possibility for Squenix to actually make a real sequel to the original? I hate to be racist, but I actually enjoyed the total lack of humanoids in the original. Fix the speed issue, ditch some absurdly unbalanced classes, tack in a few that were skipped, and leave the JP system alone. I enjoy various forms of weapon-involving martial arts, and I can't remember the last time I learned techniques directly from my equipment. For just once, Square Enix, give us more of what was actually good. By using three cheat codes, this game goes straight to an 8 rating. #1 - Judges do nothing. @2 - Unlock all jobs. #3 - Enemy stat modifier for non-story battles (x2). Expand
  2. AllenH.
    Jun 29, 2008
    No matter what anyone says, no matter how many improvements and nice little tweaks it's gotten as opposed to FFTA, I can't stand this game. I've exchanged it after a paltry 20 hours of play that felt like straining myself through barbed wire chain link fencing anytime I was in combat. Those looking for this game to be true to the original FFT will be equally disappointed. No matter what anyone says, no matter how many improvements and nice little tweaks it's gotten as opposed to FFTA, I can't stand this game. I've exchanged it after a paltry 20 hours of play that felt like straining myself through barbed wire chain link fencing anytime I was in combat. Those looking for this game to be true to the original FFT will be equally disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's better than the disgusting and unplayable mess that was FFTA, it maintains the insufferable judge system. While the penalties for violating the arbitrary rules are not so severe anymore, the Judges still completely suck the fun right out of the game. Despite the incredibly superior legacy of the original, it is a rental at best, and pass if you're wise. Though I guess if you liked FFTA, you'll be pleased. Expand
  3. EricL
    Oct 10, 2009
    This is probably the worst game I've ever played since Onechanbara: Bikini Sammurai Squad. Each character has such a limited number of attacks, and there is no origionality anywhere. The story is forgettable, but complaining about that would be complaining about a Resident Evil story, so I shouldn't mind that too much, and I THINK the cutscenes are skippable, but I haven'tThis is probably the worst game I've ever played since Onechanbara: Bikini Sammurai Squad. Each character has such a limited number of attacks, and there is no origionality anywhere. The story is forgettable, but complaining about that would be complaining about a Resident Evil story, so I shouldn't mind that too much, and I THINK the cutscenes are skippable, but I haven't played it in a while (for good reason) so I can't remember. Also, why do I have to pay to do side-quests? Shouldn't it be the other way around? The graphics are okay, but it doesn't save the hypnoticly boring gameplay. Also, WHY does my last name have to be Clemet? Kamacho Clemet. Rolls right off the tongue (sarcasm). Why can't I custimize that to be something else like "Michaels", or "Obama", or "McNugget" or ANYTHING BUT CLEMET!! Expand
  4. Mar 1, 2016
    So you will know what type of gamer is writing this review, I'll list three of my favorite games.

Danganronpa Fire Emblem  Atelier Totori.  I'll say this first, I can't understand why this game got such a great score. This game score blew my mind.  You should also know I didn't finish this game. I got about 10 hours into it and called it quits. THE GOOD: Music was subpar,

Danganronpa
    Fire Emblem
    Atelier Totori.

THE GOOD:

Music was subpar, not really good but not bad

THE BAD:

STORY: Story was bland. Also had horrible dialogue. I felt like it insulted my intelligence. Was childish and very bland. Maybe a child could enjoy the dialogue but I don't think any adult could enjoy it.

CHARACTER CAST: Horrible characters. The main character is a cocky little boy. The little boys mentor is some brown creature with a big nose named Cid. Who just happened to find the little boy in the forest all alone and asked him to join his clan and then all was good and everyone was happy. That's the kinda dialogue I warned about. Other units you recruit are just as bad. A hound dog in knights armor. A brown creature in mages robe. A shark with a hatchet! I just couldn't enjoy playing with these types of characters.

GAMEPLAY: Game play wasn't great either. Was far too slow paced and there was no way to speed up the battles. The game play just felt like I was doing one boring quest after another.

CLOSING COMMENTS:

There are quiet a few other games that beat out this game in every way. Luminous Arc 1 and 2 are great games with almost the exact gameplay. Fire Emblem series are rather similar to these games as well.
    I'm a hard core rpg gamer and I couldn't even sit through this. I've played many many rpgs that aren't necessarily great or fun to play. I truly regret buying this game. I would rather sit in a car in a parking lot and watch pigeons eat fast food strewn over the asphalt than play this game. Yes, I really did watch those pigeons instead of playing this game.

That wraps his review up, hope it helps.

#8 Most Discussed DS Game of 2008
#2 Most Shared DS Game of 2008

1. Nintendo Power
    As a result, although Grimoire of the Rift is another solid effort that's sure to scratch your tactical itch, the original Tactics remains the pinnacle of the series. [July 2008, p.86]
    With its deep Clan system and 400 missions worth of downright addictive quests, I can't help but recommend it. [July 2008, p.82]
  3. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    It remains worth it for all of the reasons that made the original Tactics so engrossing: Switching between different jobs, mastering new abilities from your gear, and recruiting and building your clan all remain as appealing as ever. [July 2008, p.82]