7.3

1. Jul 29, 2014
    The beginning of the game was great, but then it loses its place pretty quickly. I played about 10 hours telling myself the good part was coming up, and I knew the game was bad when it never came. Redeeming features: the music, crown system, and beginning tutorial segment.
  2. Sep 29, 2013
    While a beautiful game, it took the very old school approach to story and mechanics. Unfortunately, the main problem with battles was that you could not designate a certain attack or skill to an enemy, making it extremely difficult with multiple enemies who have a weakness or strength to any elements. The crown system was very interesting, though, as was the way skill trees were implemented by the jewel upgrades. That may be something I'd like to see redone in the future.
    Art: 8
    Music: 9
    Story: 7
    Gameplay: 6
  3. Jul 28, 2013
    Horribly flawed battle mechanics and quest-planning fiercely assault an otherwise great presentation from start to end. This adventure will test your patience in the worst way.
  4. Apr 27, 2013
    The style and look of this game is wonderful. As I played through It feels very reminiscent of FF3 (one of my favorite rpgs especially the ds version). It's a nice nod to the classics in terms of mood, but different enough in game play too not feel like your playing the same old game.
  5. Oct 5, 2012
    This game takes almost every note from ff 3 and 4 remakes for the ds, if you liked them you will like this one, people say this game is hard, really it isn't if you manage to finish any of the other ff games u will finish this
  6. Jan 19, 2012
    This is one of those games I wanted to like so much, but it just couldn't live up to its potential. I'd just come off an invigorating Etrian Odyssey binge, and I wanted another game where you get to customize your characters with class/skill levels and gear and whatnot. And it really does sound promising. You have a team of four heroes who can constantly switch classes in order to learn new skills and become even more powerful as time goes on. There is a pretty huge catch, though: rarely do you control all four at one time until close to the end of the game. This led to frustrating sequence after frustrating sequence as every time I felt I had characters that complemented each other well, one of them would bugger off and leave me with just one character plus a worthless TEMPORARY one. And don't get me started on the gems. Oh, the gems...because if you want to level up your classes, you better be memorizing what gems are showing up where when you fight, because otherwise you can't learn new skills at all without them. These two things combined with a very limited inventory system that punished you on boss fights for not looking at a FAQ beforehand were enough to kill my enjoyment of the game. The music was fine, the graphics looked good, the plot...was a Squeenix story, I guess. I just wanted a fun game to play, and I didn't get one. Expand
  7. Nov 21, 2011
    This is huge disappointment for me. When i don´t count terrible music and graphics which hurt my eyes, I still have to hate characters who act completely unreal (and annoying) stupid story and extremely unbalanced difficulty.
  8. Aug 16, 2011
    The 4 Heroes of Light is everything you love about old school RPGs, requiring a lot of exploring with a just-big-enough world to explore and a hint of guidance. It comes wrapped in a deceptively cute aesthetic, with lush, painterly graphics which I hope to see more of from Square.
  9. Mar 16, 2011
    This game is a lot of fun. For potential gamers, be forewarned that there is a lot of grinding (fighting tons of battles to boost your level before progressing) HOWEVER the battle system is fun and challenging. If you're an avid RPG player who rarely uses revive,phoenix down, etc. be prepared to change that. Your people will die. The game play and presentation takes me back to old school RPGs which I love. It's without all the added frills of today's games, but with a core of amazing appeal. I have not beaten the game, but from what I have played thus far the story is interesting. You cannot completely choose your target in battle, which is a little frustration and there aren't multiple save slots so if you mess up on one and then save, you cannot revert to a previous save. Those are really my only two "complaints" about the game and those are barely worth mentioning. If you're a Final Fantasy fan or just an RPG fan, buy this game and enjoy. If you haven't previously been into RPGs I would more than likely not recommend this as a starter in the genre, but if you play some more accessible RPGs and love them, then perhaps you can come back to this little gem. As with most games, it will be waiting. Expand
  10. Nov 27, 2010
    Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light is an RPG that plays on nostalgia and uniqueness to make a new kind of RPG experience. Does it deliver? It sure does!
    The soundtrack is nostalgic yet dynamic, the graphics are very beautiful and a pleasure to look at, the characters have very interesting personalities and the story is quite well written overall.
    A unique inventory system limits the
    items you carry making the game difficult if you don't plan well, battles use a new AP system and selects your targets for you based on the situation of battle to keep players on their toes and strategically planning their next moves.
    Don't underestimate this game by its looks, it is quite fun and rather challenging also.
  11. Nov 15, 2010
    Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light is a enjoyable R.P.G (role playing game) that has a old time feel to it. There is not many hints on where to go next, which is half the fun of it, exploring until you find the right spot. The combat system may be turned-based, but it will still have you on the edge of your seat. The monsters are extraordinary looking, and it has a good story. The vocations may sound weird (such as party host), but there are many uses for them, and it's always fun to try out which ones you like best. Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light is a great game and is worth buying. It is unlike any modern R.P.G you have played before. Expand
  12. Nov 6, 2010
    This game is not like modern day games whereby it is easy to move through a dungeon.
    This game has complicated dungeons whereby the maps are huge and it is hard to move through them.
    The crown system in this game, is truly remarkable as players can try to use many different jobs rather than sticking to one throughout the whole game which many games have these days.
    The graphics of this
    game is quite appealing too, although some of the major towns and cities are abit messy. For example, players of the game should know the town of Urbeth, which is very messy (the shops are all spread out).
    However, the point where monsters level up as you level up, I feel, is one of the best gifts of this game. This function is not only rarely seen in such games, but is also a function that people can appreciate and not get bored of. Reason being is that players need to grind at certain points of the game. If the monsters levels are not boosted, grinding would be very hard. This function thus enables players to grind easier. However, one thing that I don't like is the lack of space to hold items. (A total of sixty items for four characters; that's pretty little).
  13. Oct 29, 2010
    FF: The 4 Heroes of Light is a throw-back to the old school RPG styling of the 80s and 90s. Like the original Final Fantasy and the first releases of the FF II - VI, combat is turn based but you aren't able to directly choose which monster your characters attack. The first half o fthe game has you controlling each of the 4 characters as they separate and try to save their kingdom. Eventually you have control of all 4 in one group. Like the early RPGs, the story is light, heavy on exploration and grinding. The crown system is similar to the job system of FFIII (DS) and FFV but a bit more limiting at the same time. As you fight to save the various towns you gradually receive Job Crowns for your hard work. Most of them are iffy at best, but can make for interesting challenges. Upgrading the crowns can be a chore due to the randomness of the jewels, although each area is more prone to a certain type of jewel. The 15 space inventory (per character) is very limiting especially if you are using mages. The hand drawn graphics are nice to look at and the music is solid. It is frustrating at times but worth the challenge. If you are looking for an easy RPG or an Action RPG you likely won't enjoy it very much. But if you're a fan of turn based combat, you'll enjoy The 4 Heroes of Light. Expand
  14. Oct 7, 2010
    Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light is the most recent installment into the Final Fantasy handheld market. While itâ
  15. Oct 7, 2010
    This game is a surprise to me, as I typically don't find myself drawn to what appears to be a gimmicky RPG, and based on the graphics and advertised anachronistic gameplay, this definitely looked gimmicky. But after a few hours, I find myself engrossed. The story is light, true, but the game play and graphics really shine. Most of the issues that I've read in reviews are in some ways a new way to play for a lot of younger gamers raised on easier RPGs like Pokemon or Paper Mario. I would recommend this game to anyone either seeking some nostalgia or looking for a solid challenge. Expand
  16. Oct 7, 2010

1. Mar 11, 2011
    FFT4HoL revives an old-school design with a new aesthetic, but which misguided aspects of that design come along with it will divide the line between appealing and off-putting to players.
  2. Feb 15, 2011
    Final Fantasy The Four Heroes of Light is a nice addition to the ever growing collection of the franchise. While not deliberate enough in it's efforts to be a numbered entry, it still represents the series as a whole.
  3. Jan 20, 2011