Harvest Moon DS: Sunshine Islands DS

• Release Date: Nov 12, 2009
7.7

1. Maxte
    Nov 25, 2009
    This is game is freaking awesome. First of all it fixes all the previous problems from the last installment (namely the relying too much on the stylus problem). It also has the best introductory sequence in a HM game period. And most of all it is fun AND addictive which is a rare combination in a ds HM considering the last two ds games. So go out and buy this game, you wont regret it.
  2. Nov 20, 2012
    The game is by no means 'bad.' It is fun to watch your farm grow, the slow pace makes progress feel all the more rewarding, and it is certainly nothing if not addicting. The downsides, however, are many. The events feel few and far between, as well as their actual impact seeming generally trivial. Taking care of everything between events falls into a sense of tedium instead of fun. JustThe game is by no means 'bad.' It is fun to watch your farm grow, the slow pace makes progress feel all the more rewarding, and it is certainly nothing if not addicting. The downsides, however, are many. The events feel few and far between, as well as their actual impact seeming generally trivial. Taking care of everything between events falls into a sense of tedium instead of fun. Just because you're raising crops, and the pace is intentionally slow doesn't mean you should feel like you're doing a menial task instead of playing a game.

There are other flaws. The game feels sort of like it's kind of cobbled together. There are visual glitches and hiccups here and there that make this evident, especially regarding item screens and cooking in particular. In terms of mining, you have to learn that you can turn without moving while charging, because you will find yourself falling to your doom if so much as your little toe touches a pitfall. Aesthetically, I personally find the graphics inexplicably bothersome. In generally, the whole production, while fun to an extent and a good way to pass some time, feels vacant and lacking.
  3. Feb 28, 2014
    A standard in any hardcore Harvest Moon player's repertoire, the game invites the player into a new world on a washed up island with an array of characters. Very rewarding as you plough through, clear events and trigger romantic sequences.

A great play for fans of the Harvest Moon series or anybody who enjoys a good little gem requiring some patience but very fruitful and fulfilling rewards.
  4. Jul 23, 2015
    I was rather surprised by how much I enjoyed this game. As much as I recalled from the past, I had assumed that I barely spent a year ingame. But I loaded up my game recently and found that I was almost at the end of Year 2, with many accomplishments.

This Harvest Moon game has a relatively comfortable feel to it. The world is not so big that you will take a whole day to go around (like AP), but it is not so small that it will take you little time to go around (like FoMT). The characters are not the most original out there of a HM game, but they do appear lively enough to talk to.

A negative aspect well known about the series is the Sun/Water planting system, but I found little issues with it. Really, it only matters if you raise crops more than take care of your animals; I was more of the animal farmer anyways.

Moneymaking is fairly easy as well. You can expect having little money in your first season, but it'll take off summer and soforth.

This game is promising, but I understand why this can be seen as one of the boring games of the franchise. Personally, it will keep you occupied for a month or two.

#34 Most Discussed DS Game of 2009
#37 Most Shared DS Game of 2009

1. Nintendo Gamer
    Mar 8, 2011
    New players should jump right in, but veterans might want to think twice. [Jan 2011, p.64]
  2. Official Nintendo Magazine UK
    Mar 6, 2011
    With a few tweaks it could've been a classic. [Jan 2011, p.82]
  3. Jan 24, 2011
    It may be an interesting starting title for newcomers, but the fans of the saga won't find much innovation in it.