9.0

1. reedf
    Jun 12, 2009
    We preordered two copies of this one (my son and I) from the USA and have paid the price not just in getting it directly upon release in Japan, but in foregoing critical assessment and reading rhe Metacritic reviews (there are still only two as of this post) and trusting our guts and experiences as big fans of the Traveler's Tales LEGO DS games. LEGO Battles is at once a simple and We preordered two copies of this one (my son and I) from the USA and have paid the price not just in getting it directly upon release in Japan, but in foregoing critical assessment and reading rhe Metacritic reviews (there are still only two as of this post) and trusting our guts and experiences as big fans of the Traveler's Tales LEGO DS games. LEGO Battles is at once a simple and fun game, and a terribly dull one with too many rules to learn for too little payoff later in the game. I fear this is a project not of love for the incredible gaming company that has produced LEGO Star Wars et al, but just a finished project -- one they may have enjoyed building at the start but were clearly unable to turn into something truly enjoyable for any particular audience. My son suffered as much of the tutorial level as possible but even so was not impressed with the graphics or the gaming style. The LEGO brand does not save this game from being just another RTS. What this has done is awoken certain nostalgic feelings for Blizzard games like Starcraft, which I would much rather be playing. As for my son, I think his copy may just go to the first buyer at a local shop. Or is it too soon to be passing judgment? (We have not unlocked any of the other missions yet.) Expand
  2. Jan 22, 2015
    And yet another game about both lego and randomness at its random...-est i guess.
    But like my review on lego island 2: the f*ckster's revenge, this game is pretty good. Well, for the DS at least.

I mean the Nintendo DS was very successful but in my opinion all 3D games on it looked/played like complete **** I mean, take a look at a comparison between Lego Star wars: the clone wars, it looked gorgeous on the Wii and the Ps3 but on the DS? COMPLETE SHI-BLARGHALGHRALGHUGLAHR- i can't stress enough.

Regerding the game, it's like a god game with really pixellated graphics which actually looks better than you think. Trust me this game is even more obscure than Patapon, a game which not even the smallest groups of people recognize, well. Maybe except me... i don't even know anymore.

But for real though, the soundtrack is kind of bitcrushed which is one of my most favourite song types, the graphics are mostly like the snes's graphics, it's mostly blend of many pixel games to say the least.

Gameplaywise. You place buildings, you get cash, you get units, push objectives, you win.
    It's a Mc-Basic, really.

Here is the most fun part of the entire review, trust me. Writing certain reviews on the wrong day can end in the this-is-not-interesting-at-all cathergory.

Pros:

Cons:

I am suprised... really.... there is nothing wrong with this game except the minor things, but those keep bugging each other with the good minor thing about this game.
    Which then means that this game was made with the right mind in charge.... i don't know what joke to choose so i'll just simply say.... "a random crackhead"

This game gets the score: "meh, but still good"

1. And the most basic element of LEGOs - building things from blocks - is entirely absent. [July 2009, p.86]
  2. LEGO Battles won’t offer the slightest challenge to an avid RTS fan. But overall I can’t complain too much. I had fun, got in a few laughs, and kept coming back for more. Sometimes that’s enough.
  3. LEGO Battles certainly drops the baton on a couple of essential basics, but its light-hearted tone, unit variety, hidden trinkets, and sheer volume of maps keep it a good value for dedicated fans of this angular toy world.