Lost Magic DS

• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Apr 25, 2006
8.1

1. May 1, 2017
    I remember getting this game in 2006 and me and my sister were quite curious about this game: Nintendo ds was at its beginnings and most of their games were still gimmicky but not bad (nothing like the **** 3ds and it's messed up design in most games). However when I took this game in and played it for about 2-3 hours I just stopped: this game is unforgiving and has 3 fatal flaws, 3I remember getting this game in 2006 and me and my sister were quite curious about this game: Nintendo ds was at its beginnings and most of their games were still gimmicky but not bad (nothing like the **** 3ds and it's messed up design in most games). However when I took this game in and played it for about 2-3 hours I just stopped: this game is unforgiving and has 3 fatal flaws, 3 unforgivable mistakes that basically ruins what could be a magnificent game.

1) Clunky Controls: as I said the DS was at its start and the gimmick of the touch screen was used very heavily during that time. However, while some games were great in this regard (Elite Beat Agents, Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright), this one is the in the "not so great" category: you can easily mess up the rune if you're slightly off the right path and that uses mana...which means you must not mess it up. The game also controls like an RTS but sadly it's so crippled since you will always have to highlight the units and click and do it EVERY-SINGLE-TIME for moving around. Oh and I wouldn't want to forget to mention that your units move incredibly slow, so if you mess up something you might have to wait a lot of time in order to have them returning in position. It's just beyond bad and it's so bad that the second point is related to control, and that is...

2) No Pathfinding: in most RTS when you click somewhere, your units will reach it by finding the best route possible - hence the name pathfinding. Sadly this game has none and it's very common that your units will go to a wall and be stuck forever until you make them move on the right track. And how did you move again? Of course, highlight+clickposition EVERY-SINGLE-TIME. What's worse of all this and the biggest flaw that basically makes this game from a rather clunky rts-rpg game to a chore is, unfortunately, the most common one...

3) Time limit: I don't know who was the retard that thought this was a good idea but - shock - it isn't: not only it adds an element of rush in most battles because of the time limit, but you'll have to deal with the clunky interface AND the clunky controls AND the lack of pathfinding AND make sure you don't make mistakes AND do it within the super strict time limit AND with the slowest units ever created in an RTS. And you might wonder. how much time do you have in these battles? Surely it can't be too bad-

You have 5 minutes in basically 50-60% of the battles. The highest time available is 10.
    Oh oh and guess what? There are battles that only have 3 minutes!
    Seriously whoever thought this was a good idea clearly had no idea how to make a fun game. I mean it's like putting time limit in a dungeon and without any chance of replacing your group without waiting hours and ....Oh right that game is Final Fantasy XIV....

Case in point, this game had potential to be great, but instead feels like a chore and a "challenge-fest" for those who don't have enough challenges in their games. It might become easier, later on, I admit (I only reached level 19, 10 years ago, but that's as far as I could go) but I simply cannot play any longer than this. It's just a shame really but alas, the fact that it remained unplayed for nearly 10 years it's proof that this game wasn't meant to be popular and perhaps just niche.

...meanwhile I still play Elite Beat Agents, Phoenix Wright and many other valuable games that at least are playable from the start.
  2. Jan 24, 2016
    I highly recommend this game, especially for adult gamers who have a hard time finding a challenge on the DS. It's like a Pokemon RTS. And not only will you want to catch all the monsters, you'll want to complete your list of spells (which are cast using an innovative rune-drawing system). There's a very strong appeal to people who like collection-based games. I understand that this gameI highly recommend this game, especially for adult gamers who have a hard time finding a challenge on the DS. It's like a Pokemon RTS. And not only will you want to catch all the monsters, you'll want to complete your list of spells (which are cast using an innovative rune-drawing system). There's a very strong appeal to people who like collection-based games. I understand that this game failed to gain popularity because it was regrettably released still needing to be tweaked a bit. The inconsistent difficulty curve could certainly use some ironing out. But like I said, it's a rare example of a hard game on the DS so that's a plus. And the charming graphics/story/character design make me willing to forgive its flaws. Expand
  3. Nov 15, 2013
    One of the most creative and fun RTS games ever. Certainly the best available on the DS. The reviews aren't great for this game but give it a chance, you might love it as much as I do. Highly recommended!
  4. Oct 13, 2013
    I know it is extremely late to be writing a review for this game, but I just picked it up used and loved it! The combination of simple RTS gameplay with frantic DS scribbling is entertaining and engaging. That's what the game is all about too, so I won't even knock more than one point off for the story. I have had so many last minute wins/losses in this game! I wish I had picked it upI know it is extremely late to be writing a review for this game, but I just picked it up used and loved it! The combination of simple RTS gameplay with frantic DS scribbling is entertaining and engaging. That's what the game is all about too, so I won't even knock more than one point off for the story. I have had so many last minute wins/losses in this game! I wish I had picked it up earlier so I could play online, because I'm sure that would be very interesting with the sheer variety of spells (read strategies) available. I got stuck in single player a few times as I'm sure some of the professional critics did, but go online and you can get the tip you need to move on. After you figure out that the game isn't strictly rock-paper-scissors, then you can start building attack plans in new and sometimes esoteric ways my best record for a battle was 11 seconds because of one such maneuver enjoy the game if you can find a used copy! Expand
  5. Apr 8, 2011
    I got this game in 2007, looking for a decent RPG. Unfortunately, this game is severely lacking, falling victim to the issues that seem to be plaguing the genre as a whole in the past decade or so. Only recently was I willing to pick it back up and play it through. Graphics and artwork are excellent. The storyline is a sub-par and quite predictable. The combat system DROVE ME INSANE.I got this game in 2007, looking for a decent RPG. Unfortunately, this game is severely lacking, falling victim to the issues that seem to be plaguing the genre as a whole in the past decade or so. Only recently was I willing to pick it back up and play it through. Graphics and artwork are excellent. The storyline is a sub-par and quite predictable. The combat system DROVE ME INSANE. I can't draw to save my life, and my handwriting isn't great either, so I found the rune casting system to be very unforgiving. I frequently found myself failing to cast my runes frequently through the entire game. I do agree that it's nothing to judge till you're at least 2-5 hours in, but that's only because the battle system takes about that long (or longer) to become complex enough to be interesting. It's not awful, but in all honesty, it sat in my closet for four years. Take that as you will. Collapse
  6. AnonymousMC
    Feb 3, 2009
    This isn't a game that you can just put down and play from time to time. It should probably be a game for the more deep-type of gamer and not just a casual one. The more you play the more you realize the originality of the game, which is rare these days. The path finding of the monsters is a lacking feature that often forces you to attend to them instead of healing, causing you orThis isn't a game that you can just put down and play from time to time. It should probably be a game for the more deep-type of gamer and not just a casual one. The more you play the more you realize the originality of the game, which is rare these days. The path finding of the monsters is a lacking feature that often forces you to attend to them instead of healing, causing you or your monsters to die, which is a draw back to a clean slate.
    Still, if you're willing to sit down and chill for an hour or two, this is the perfect game for you.
  7. M0L0T0V
    Mar 25, 2008
    LostMagic is truly amazing. It's one of those games where you think you're getting good, you jump online and then the whole atmosphere changes, and suddenly youre a tiny fish in a swirling hurriccane complete with flaming meteors, dark lightning, and ogres. The online lacks in communication between opponents, however it WAS a DS game so I overlooked it. After all, who has time toLostMagic is truly amazing. It's one of those games where you think you're getting good, you jump online and then the whole atmosphere changes, and suddenly youre a tiny fish in a swirling hurriccane complete with flaming meteors, dark lightning, and ogres. The online lacks in communication between opponents, however it WAS a DS game so I overlooked it. After all, who has time to chat while they try to balance healing a mob and throwing out element dragons and earthquakes, all while throwing out debuff after debuff trying to find your opponent who just made himself invisible?

Truly a unique game that has found a longtime player in me. Hey, maybe you'll run into me someday online! ~_^ -M0L0T0V
  8. JohnH.
    Oct 29, 2007
    I expected this to be a slight modification of Half Life 2 Deathmatch, but it truly is an entirely new game, full of amusing new graphics and a truly team based combat engine capable of running on pretty much any system. It's probably worth the $45 price-tag for the orange box single-handedly, not to say the other games won't be just as good!! Epic Game!!
  9. BradleyE.
    Aug 1, 2006
    this game will have you hooked but you have got to spend a life time training your little monsters. i recomend it to any magic loving person.
  10. DrewF.
    Jun 20, 2006
    If you only spend 10 minutes with this game, then you will undoubtedly walk away unimpressed. This is one of those games where, if you give it a try, you REALLY do have to give it at least 2-3 hours of your time and THEN pass judgement. There's surprisingly deep gameplay here, once you unlock the ability to cast double and triple runes. Unit AI is painfully bad, but, you get used to If you only spend 10 minutes with this game, then you will undoubtedly walk away unimpressed. This is one of those games where, if you give it a try, you REALLY do have to give it at least 2-3 hours of your time and THEN pass judgement. There's surprisingly deep gameplay here, once you unlock the ability to cast double and triple runes. Unit AI is painfully bad, but, you get used to it and learn to work around it. There' s a good game in here to be find by the patient. Expand
    May 2, 2006
    The more you play this game the more fun it is. You control the the spells with your stylus and the more accurate they are the better results. There are so many spells and monsters in so many combinations you get better all the time. it doesn't lose the challenge though.
  12. Apr 8, 2011

#22 Most Discussed DS Game of 2006
#30 Most Shared DS Game of 2006

1. The only downside to this game as a whole is the fact that the main focus is the spell-casting system and the ability to control and upgrade groups of monsters; the further into the game you get, the more the plot takes a backseat to the spell gameplay and strategic battles. [JPN Import]
    Lost Magic strives to accomplish something innovative and enjoyable, it falls short in its implementation, resulting in a game that frustrates and disappoints.
  3. It plays to the DS' strengths, and when it all clicks, it's a lot of fun. Just be prepared to brute force your way through a lot of frustrating misfires if you decide to go for it.