Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story DS

8.7

1. Aug 1, 2013
    Judging by the extremely positive reviews from critics, you'd think this RPG was amazing. It's not. It's a good game, but there were a few drawbacks. It has a reasonable plot, especially for a mario game, but the cutscenes are a bore. They try to make jokes, but they are not funny in the slightest. Once you get to actually play, things get better. It takes the form of RPG gameplay mixedJudging by the extremely positive reviews from critics, you'd think this RPG was amazing. It's not. It's a good game, but there were a few drawbacks. It has a reasonable plot, especially for a mario game, but the cutscenes are a bore. They try to make jokes, but they are not funny in the slightest. Once you get to actually play, things get better. It takes the form of RPG gameplay mixed with platforming. The stroy switches between Mario and Luigi, and Bowser. When you play as Mario and Luigi, you must control them at the same time inside Bowser's body. It takes the form of 2D platforming, along with some puzzles involving Bowser's body. Controlling them is a pain, especoally when you have to mke jumps- you must press a and b at the same time. Combat is more exciting. It's turn-based, and clever, as certain attacks require you to coordinate attacks with both Mario and Luigi. The other person you play as is Bowser. He is forced to work together with Mario anf Luigi to resolve the plot. This is far better than the other form of control because you only control one character, it is not platforming, and it takes place from an isometric viewpoint. Overall, Bowser's Inside Story is good, but not a true RPG. Fans of the series will especially want to invest in this. Expand
  2. Oct 18, 2013
    I was determined to finish this game no matter what even though I had urges to put it down and never play again. And I found out that it's pretty fun and worth picking up. Even though the story is kinda predictable, I don't think people play this game for story. It's mario, how complicated can it be? Game aims more for the younger crowd I believe. Still I enjoyed playing it, it was fun andI was determined to finish this game no matter what even though I had urges to put it down and never play again. And I found out that it's pretty fun and worth picking up. Even though the story is kinda predictable, I don't think people play this game for story. It's mario, how complicated can it be? Game aims more for the younger crowd I believe. Still I enjoyed playing it, it was fun and satisfying.
    Game is build around timing. You have to react accordingly and it's basically a reaction game between walking around and reading dialogs. It's fun for some people, but I quickly learnt I'm not one of them. Sometimes timings can be really hard and you'll be struggling to make a counterattack or evade one of them. But the game itself is not hard, you'll be given a plenty of restoration items and do-overs. It just can be a little frustrating is all. On the other hand there's plenty of exploration and I liked that. You can explore regions as Mario and Luigi and as Bowser and they all can reach different places.
    Overall, I would recommend this game to mario fans (as you can play bowser and that's really cool if you ask me, he is lots of fun) and people who want some easy and cute rpg without deep involvement. It won't grab you into the story and hold you tightly until it's over. It's pretty relaxed game. Pick it up for some quick and basic fun.
  3. Feb 15, 2013
    I really wanted to love this game and would have given it an 8/10 or maybe a 9/10 if not for a few problems that marred the experience. It is a pretty cool RPG with some neat interactive battle mechanics. It has a light but fun story. It isn't particularly interesting, but it's enough to keep you somewhat invested. The itemization was done pretty well also. The choice of putting the twoI really wanted to love this game and would have given it an 8/10 or maybe a 9/10 if not for a few problems that marred the experience. It is a pretty cool RPG with some neat interactive battle mechanics. It has a light but fun story. It isn't particularly interesting, but it's enough to keep you somewhat invested. The itemization was done pretty well also. The choice of putting the two heroes in a setting within the main antagonist of the series was incredible in theory. However, in practice, the developers severely screwed up. The good parts involve changing the internal environment of Bowser through his actions and navigating levels with Mario and Luigi this way. The bad parts come when you need Mario and Luigi to manipulate the inside of Bowser to create a change in him. These are done through some pretty frustrating mini-games. Sometimes it's just because they become very difficult and long to the point that if and when you mess up (and chances are you will many times), you not only lose coins but have to start over from the beginning and go through the whole thing again. Other times, such as the infamous pollen mini-game, the controls feel terribly unresponsive to the point that the mini-game seems unfair. The worst part is that many of these are mandatory and force you to complete them before you can move on with the game at all. You can't explore anything else or go anywhere else as a break, and you can't get around doing them. You just have to sit there and try to work your way through them. This could have been a terrific Mario RPG game, possibly better than its predecessors due to the very interesting setting, if not for these mishandled and seemingly forced mini-games. Expand
  4. RJV
    Aug 4, 2011
    This is not like any Mario game you have ever played. There is a bit of platforming, but that is turned into a puzzle. It is almost like a Pokemon game, but you only have three characters: Mario, Luigi, and Bowser! The plot is actually semi developed in this game, and Bowser doesn't kidnap Peach this time. Instead he is tricked into inhaling her, as well as Mario + Luigi and the rest ofThis is not like any Mario game you have ever played. There is a bit of platforming, but that is turned into a puzzle. It is almost like a Pokemon game, but you only have three characters: Mario, Luigi, and Bowser! The plot is actually semi developed in this game, and Bowser doesn't kidnap Peach this time. Instead he is tricked into inhaling her, as well as Mario + Luigi and the rest of the mushroom kingdom, by Fawlful, the new bad guy, not really worth remembering him though. Inside Bowser's body the two Legendary plumbers try to find and rescue the princess, somewhere in Bowser's 2D innards. Meanwhile Bowser, wandering the Mushroom Kingdom, tries to take back his castle, which has been taken over by Fawful. You enter battle scenes as the plumbers or the Koopa King, and this is where it is similar to Pokemon. You will see the similarities almost immediately. A great game, but a little bit easy. Still,you won't beat every boss on your first time, and if you want to collect all the bonuses there will be plenty of replay after you beat the main story. Fantastic. Collapse

#2 Most Discussed DS Game of 2009
#1 Most Shared DS Game of 2009

1. Fans who loved the first two games shouldn't hesitate in picking up Bowser's Inside Story. It features everything that makes the series enjoyable and adds onto it everything but the kitchen sink. Despite a few minor flaws, it's a game that features an ingenious game design synonymous with Nintendo games and is easily one of the best DS games of the year.
  2. The bottom line on Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is that it's one of those games that every DS owner should buy, period. Regardless of your feelings about RPGs, the title is just so entertaining and well-executed that you're nearly guaranteed to love it.
  3. The freshest, most vital RPG on the DS for ages. You'd be daft to pass it up. [Nov 2009, p.76]