8.4

1. Apr 3, 2014
    sorry to people who liked it, but this game was a pain to endure, it felt like a filler episode of a show, and there's soooo much padding.
    the plot is weak, the development of it is weak, and a lot of elements seem to have been thrown into it just to make it more complicated and pad it more. the ending comes rather abruptly, and a lot of plot threads lead nowhere, they are there just to keep you distracted longer.

the battle system, while and evolution of the system from the first game, became confusing, you'll find yourself many times mistaking baby mario or luigi for their grown up counterparts in the battle sequences where you have a milisecond to guess which bro is falling.
    the enemies have no personality or motivation either.
    all in all, this is just a cheap sequel to get the franchise going, if you can, skip directly to bowser's inside story, there's no plot on this, you are not missing anything at all
    I'd bet this was co-developed by ghost developer TOSE
  2. Apr 14, 2014
    It truly, truly pains me to write this review. I just cannot find it in myself to like this game. To begin, the game just drags on and on in each area and the game is very formulaic. Worst of all, I could not enjoy the combat system: maintaining control over four characters to pull off special attacks is a very frustrating chore. The special attacks have also replaced the Bros. AttacksIt truly, truly pains me to write this review. I just cannot find it in myself to like this game. To begin, the game just drags on and on in each area and the game is very formulaic. Worst of all, I could not enjoy the combat system: maintaining control over four characters to pull off special attacks is a very frustrating chore. The special attacks have also replaced the Bros. Attacks from Superstar Saga, and each one is a repetitive, pointlessly tedious mini-game that eats up time and makes the battles drag as well as the areas. The game has nothing but padding and I just wanted it to end.

Presentation-wise, the game is passable, but nothing impressive. The game's graphics barely pass a GBA title. As for the music, if you were to ask me what soundtrack belonged to what area, I would not be able to tell you.

Thankfully, the game's story does have some funny moments: hearing Mario say "babies" cracks me up. Overall, though, the story or characters doesn't redeem this game (you know from the beginning everything will turn out well: where are the Shroob aliens present-day?!).

As I said already, I hate that I do not like this game, seeing as how Superstar Saga is among my favorite games of all time. There's hardly anything to take away from this game. A poor sequel.

1. I don't often get a good belly laugh from a video game, but then not many games pack the humorous charm of Mario and Luigi 2... [Nov p.99]
  2. A worthy follow-up to "Superstar Saga," and the first great RPG on the DS. [Jan 2006, p.110]
  3. It may not be the most emotionally complex RPG on the market, but it's solid entertainment with a quirky twist. [Dec 2005, p.187]