Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem DS

7.7

1. Nov 23, 2010
    I loved Mario vs Donkey Kong on the GBA. I skipped MvsDK March of the Minis because I've had enough of playing Lemmings clones. I decided to give Mini-Land Mayhem a try because there hasn't been much that was worth playing lately on my DS. Mini-Land is a reasonably fun game, but some control issues and boring boss battles against Donkey Kong lessen the fun.
    Many of the items you select in
    Many of the items you select in the game require fairly precise control from the touch screen, something that the DS isn't great at. This is particularily a problem in the mini-games, which require a lot of quick selecting/drawing of items. The boss battles are a disappointment, to many random events make trying to obtain a high score frustrating. Overall the game is fun, but no where near as fun as the GBA Mario vs DK.
  2. May 28, 2011
    I got this game after playing mario vs donkey kong 2 (see my review) and i have to say, this is much better. Unlike the second, this newest game isn't stupidly complex, and while controlling multiple characters at once, getting them to separate doors, and doing it withing a certain time does get frustrating, you don't get the hopeless feeling that you get from MVDK2. The levels feelI got this game after playing mario vs donkey kong 2 (see my review) and i have to say, this is much better. Unlike the second, this newest game isn't stupidly complex, and while controlling multiple characters at once, getting them to separate doors, and doing it withing a certain time does get frustrating, you don't get the hopeless feeling that you get from MVDK2. The levels feel difficult, but beatable, and you'll want to replay them and get all the mario cards and trophies. There are also bonus levels, unlocked after earning a certain number of mario letters, and building your own levels, while not exciting for me, may be enjoyable for you. If you can wait a bit, you can even download levels built by others. The graphics are great, the controls are good, but the story isn't really a story. Then again, it would be worse with a story. There are tons of levels, so if you want to, get it. It's really a 7.5. Expand
  3. Dec 18, 2013
    THE GOOD: The puzzle-solving gameplay is quite satisfying. Nice cartoony art style. Very clever puzzles and variety of ways to solve them. A lot of levels, including a challenge mode. There is a mode that allows you to make your own levels and share them with friends. Music is very catchy and fun to listen to. Great use of the DS touch screen controls.

The BAD: It can get a bit

The BAD: It can get a bit repetitive. Somewhat light on story as well.

I'd say it is worth a buy. Nothing groundbreaking, but enjoyable.
  4. Nov 15, 2016
    This game is too easy.

Relative to other games in the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series, the puzzles are simple. Having played through most of the others previously, this offered basically no challenge. Of all the M vs. DK series (excluding Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move), this game - by far - introduced more unique game mechanics. And, most of the new ideas work. The girder
    This game is too easy.

Of all the M vs. DK series (excluding Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move), this game - by far - introduced more unique game mechanics. And, most of the new ideas work. The girder system is better than the pink blocks from previous games and it adds depth to the puzzles being able to fire cannons and create your own ladders / conveyor belts. But, the problem lies beyond the mechanics.

The level design is the worst of the entire series. The puzzles are small and the solutions are obvious. The first fifty or sixty levels didn't require any thought whatsoever. I got the gold trophy, almost every time, on my first attempt. I found the bulk of the main game pretty boring, but I persevered thinking that there would be better (more challenging) levels in the Plus mode.

The Plus mode outright sucks... Every other game in the series offered new levels, after completing the game. In Mini-Land Mayhem, you're required to complete all of the same levels over again while adhering to an "exit order". While this made the levels a little more difficult, I couldn't find the motivation to complete them all again.

Some of Attraction 7 / Attraction 8 and some of Special / Extra were the only really enjoyable levels, for me. But, they didn't make up for an otherwise disappointing experience.

The game isn't all bad. There are some other positives, I should mention.

I like the mini-games. They offer a much-welcome departure from atypical M vs DK gameplay, which gets very repetitive after you play through the bulk of the series. They (the mini-games) are fun and well-designed. And they offer a bit more of a challenge than most of the actual levels.

The boss battles are (perhaps) the best of any entry in the series, so far. But, that's not really saying much since bosses in the M vs. DK series are almost always badly designed and frustrating... The bosses in Mini-Land Mayhem aren't frustrating, but they're too easy. And success or failure depends largely on randomized events. Also, the bosses in Plus Mode are exactly the same as in Normal Mode. So, inexplicably, you need to beat them all twice.

And this game deserves some credit for taking a chance and introducing new gameplay mechanics, but the new tools aren't fully realized until they are revisited in the next Mario vs. Donkey Kong title (Tipping Stars).

Tipping Stars is what Mini-Land Mayhem should have been: they took out all the crappy new mechanics (the Shy Guy blocks, the magnetic electrical circuits, etc.) and re-incorporated what was left over into one of the best entries in the series.

Mini-Land Mayhem is the second-worst game in the series. It had enormous potential, but - unfortunately -
    ended up being only slightly better than the first Mario vs. Donkey Kong...

I couldn't be bothered finishing it 100%.
    At times, I struggled to find the motivation to keep playing at all.

#18 Most Discussed DS Game of 2010
#21 Most Shared DS Game of 2010

1. Jul 18, 2011
    If you are looking for something cheap, cheerful but downright fun, this is definitely worth a look-in.
  2. Apr 14, 2011
    Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! is fun and challenging. Everybody who's into die red cap plumber will have fun with this one. I love those minis trembling around to hit good old Donkey Kong.
  3. games(TM)
    Mar 23, 2011
    It's certainly a solid addition to the franchise, just not as memorable as previous instalments. [Issue#107, p.113]