Mega Man ZX Advent DS

• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Oct 23, 2007
8.6

1. Apr 2, 2017
    Out of all the Mega Man games I’ve played, the Zero series sticks out as my favorite by a long shot. Having enjoyed those games a lot, I decided to play Mega Man ZX with the hopes of finding something similar, as they are made by the same people (Inti Creates). But as I played that game, I couldn’t help but think of how better the Zero games were. And now, playing through ZX Advent feltOut of all the Mega Man games I’ve played, the Zero series sticks out as my favorite by a long shot. Having enjoyed those games a lot, I decided to play Mega Man ZX with the hopes of finding something similar, as they are made by the same people (Inti Creates). But as I played that game, I couldn’t help but think of how better the Zero games were. And now, playing through ZX Advent felt just like going through the same situation. While playing, I couldn’t help but think of how better the first ZX was. Now let me get this clear to you all: Neither ZX nor Advent are bad games. ZX is a solid, well-rounded Mega Man game. ZX Advent is overall good… but not so solid as its predecessor.

Now let’s start with the good things. The game features once again an ‘open-world’ instead of separated levels, but unlike ZX, Advent handles the world layout in a more clear and organized way. At least I didn’t get lost all the time like in ZX. The controls are still as good as they were before, and the music is on the same level of quality than the original ZX.

But something about ZX Advent made it fell flat compared to its predecessor. The level design didn’t feel as fun or creative. Same goes for the bosses. The game’s new gimmick, the ability to transform into the bosses you defeat (apart from the 5 models from the original ZX), sound like a super cool thing. But the implementation wasn’t good. Most of the boss-transformations are useless and didn’t offer any real advantage over the 5 Mega Man models. As a result, I barely used them in my playthrough.

I don’t really care about the story in most of the Mega Man games, but this one’s just bad. You seriously have to mess things up as a writer to make a Mega Man plot so confusing. I didn’t understand the plot at all. The characters, especially the possesers of the biometals, were extremely bland (apart from being crappy bosses as well). For some reason they decided to include voice acting in this game, and it is absolutely horrible, to the point of draining all the seriousness and drama out of the dialogues. The female protagonist Ashe’s and Model A’s voices are especially bad.

I don’t want anyone to finish reading this review and think this game is trash. ZX Advent is decent, but I’d rather play the original ZX over this game any day, as it had better level design, better bosses, a simpler and more functional story, and overall left a better impression on me.

Score: 7.3
  2. 1aurent
    Jan 20, 2008
    Mega Man Advent ZX was a disappointing experience, too easy in the beginning, the last boss is almost impossible. took me 8 hours to go trough the entire game. the controls felt great and the transforamtions too but these 8 hours aren't worth 40$.

#28 Most Discussed DS Game of 2007

1. Nintendo Gamer
    A fluid run-jump-fire actioner with something new at every turn. [JPN Import; Oct 2007, p.72]
  2. Game Informer
    Fight some robots, find some secret rooms, and enjoy the evolution of one of the most memorable heroes in gaming. [Nov 2007, p.162]
  3. Play Magazine
    Together with the wonderfully integrated story and action-RPG accoutrements, ZXA is yet another 2D diamond from Capcom. [Nov 2007, p.74]