Mega Man ZX Advent DS

• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Oct 23, 2007
8.6

1. Apr 2, 2017
    Out of all the Mega Man games I’ve played, the Zero series sticks out as my favorite by a long shot. Having enjoyed those games a lot, I decided to play Mega Man ZX with the hopes of finding something similar, as they are made by the same people (Inti Creates). But as I played that game, I couldn’t help but think of how better the Zero games were. And now, playing through ZX Advent feltOut of all the Mega Man games I’ve played, the Zero series sticks out as my favorite by a long shot. Having enjoyed those games a lot, I decided to play Mega Man ZX with the hopes of finding something similar, as they are made by the same people (Inti Creates). But as I played that game, I couldn’t help but think of how better the Zero games were. And now, playing through ZX Advent felt just like going through the same situation. While playing, I couldn’t help but think of how better the first ZX was. Now let me get this clear to you all: Neither ZX nor Advent are bad games. ZX is a solid, well-rounded Mega Man game. ZX Advent is overall good… but not so solid as its predecessor.

Now let’s start with the good things. The game features once again an ‘open-world’ instead of separated levels, but unlike ZX, Advent handles the world layout in a more clear and organized way. At least I didn’t get lost all the time like in ZX. The controls are still as good as they were before, and the music is on the same level of quality than the original ZX.

But something about ZX Advent made it fell flat compared to its predecessor. The level design didn’t feel as fun or creative. Same goes for the bosses. The game’s new gimmick, the ability to transform into the bosses you defeat (apart from the 5 models from the original ZX), sound like a super cool thing. But the implementation wasn’t good. Most of the boss-transformations are useless and didn’t offer any real advantage over the 5 Mega Man models. As a result, I barely used them in my playthrough.

I don’t really care about the story in most of the Mega Man games, but this one’s just bad. You seriously have to mess things up as a writer to make a Mega Man plot so confusing. I didn’t understand the plot at all. The characters, especially the possesers of the biometals, were extremely bland (apart from being crappy bosses as well). For some reason they decided to include voice acting in this game, and it is absolutely horrible, to the point of draining all the seriousness and drama out of the dialogues. The female protagonist Ashe’s and Model A’s voices are especially bad.

I don’t want anyone to finish reading this review and think this game is trash. ZX Advent is decent, but I’d rather play the original ZX over this game any day, as it had better level design, better bosses, a simpler and more functional story, and overall left a better impression on me.

Score: 7.3
  2. Nov 1, 2016
    Surely it is better than the first. The fact that voice acting leaves much more immersive game.
    Using the model A and become the stage leaders was a brilliant idea and one of the coolest things already implemented throughout the Megaman franchise.
    Megaman ZX is an epic continuation of Megaman zero, with a very good story. Character designer is very well done and the characters are very
    Megaman ZX is an epic continuation of Megaman zero, with a very good story.
    Character designer is very well done and the characters are very charismatic.
    One of the best games of the Nintendo DS, no doubt
  3. Jul 21, 2016
    The game is what you expected but the gameplay is a bit stall and so is the story so it isn't 100% perfect all the time but it still is great so ZX advent is fine with me!
  4. Dec 20, 2015
    Superior than the original game because is more hardcore-oriented. Is not a game for the newcomers. Graphics style matured a bit from the first game. Is so hard that die-hard MMX-MMZ fans will love to play it.
  5. May 25, 2015
    As good as the first, until the story is good, the game's songs are good, it's really fun and also has a good range of possible powers to use, which is quite interesting.
  6. CarlosOlitan
    Mar 1, 2009
    Great level design. Good Music. Lots of transformations. 2 playable. characters. ZXA is an awesome platformer. Anyone giving it a low rating or bad review is considered stupid or just terrible at the game. A game like advent really pushes gamers to the edge on difficulty. An enjoyable game from start to finish. The only flaws are the crappy voice acting and the removal of Model OX whichGreat level design. Good Music. Lots of transformations. 2 playable. characters. ZXA is an awesome platformer. Anyone giving it a low rating or bad review is considered stupid or just terrible at the game. A game like advent really pushes gamers to the edge on difficulty. An enjoyable game from start to finish. The only flaws are the crappy voice acting and the removal of Model OX which was a great form! Collapse
  7. 1aurent
    Jan 20, 2008
    Mega Man Advent ZX was a disappointing experience, too easy in the beginning, the last boss is almost impossible. took me 8 hours to go trough the entire game. the controls felt great and the transforamtions too but these 8 hours aren't worth 40$.
  8. YahshuaF.
    Dec 8, 2007
    This is an excellent megaman game and one of the most challenging and entertaining i've seen yet worthy of better platforms.
  9. MegaManFanX
    Dec 1, 2007
    With it's great Music, amazing level design, and Intense Battles, Mega Man ZX Advent is a great game. My only beef is the voice acting, ecspecially Argoyle and Ugoyle. *shudders*
  10. SylD.
    Oct 24, 2007
    Mega Man ZX Advent is a breathe of fresh air to the Mega Man franchise, going as far as to say it almost feels like an X game on the DS. The ZERO series already had that X1-X3 feel, ZX was just unpolished. ZXA brings it home, what 2D Mega Man on the DS should be, and a bit more.

#28 Most Discussed DS Game of 2007
#23 Most Shared DS Game of 2007

1. Nintendo Gamer
    A fluid run-jump-fire actioner with something new at every turn. [JPN Import; Oct 2007, p.72]
  2. Game Informer
    Fight some robots, find some secret rooms, and enjoy the evolution of one of the most memorable heroes in gaming. [Nov 2007, p.162]
  3. Play Magazine
    Together with the wonderfully integrated story and action-RPG accoutrements, ZXA is yet another 2D diamond from Capcom. [Nov 2007, p.74]