Mega Man ZX DS

• Release Date: Sep 12, 2006
8.3

1. NateB.
    Sep 21, 2006
    I have always wanted a Castlevania or Metroid style MegaMan game and I feel like this game had the right idea, but things just weren't implemented too well. It's more of Mega Man Zero 5 as opposed to a new version altogether. The game-play is typical megaman and the new difficulties are nice and accommodate megaman newbies and vets alike. The main things that bother me are the I have always wanted a Castlevania or Metroid style MegaMan game and I feel like this game had the right idea, but things just weren't implemented too well. It's more of Mega Man Zero 5 as opposed to a new version altogether. The game-play is typical megaman and the new difficulties are nice and accommodate megaman newbies and vets alike. The main things that bother me are the lack of depth that games like Metroid and Castlevania have and the absence of a map system is a huge annoyance. You can see how areas are linked, but that system is totally unintuitive that you run around forever until you figure out where to go. The worst is that you have to accept a mission, otherwise events won't happen when you walk into an area. Why can't you just take on multiple missions, and then be able to run around without worrying about finding a needle in a haystack? I'd much prefer an actual map system so I could see everything I have explored and how areas actually link up (where the doors are, etc.). If you like megaman games (like me) you can't go wrong, but the map system, lack of items, and absence of anything like an upgrade system (like leveling up, or something like the elf system) or more weapons (the forms are kind of lame and too similar to each other) really prevent this game from being fantastic. As is, it's worth playing, but only if you liked the MegaMan Zero games. Expand
  2. MegmManFanX
    Oct 25, 2007
    Capcom has a winner on their hands. The mission system, while stupid in some eyes, is a nice twist! And the map is easy to navigate with a decent amount of skill. The bosses also provide good challenge, with secret bosses like Omega Zero and Fenri Lunaedge. However, with all it's ups, there are some downs. The story is predictable, and despite the overall easiness, the secret areas Capcom has a winner on their hands. The mission system, while stupid in some eyes, is a nice twist! And the map is easy to navigate with a decent amount of skill. The bosses also provide good challenge, with secret bosses like Omega Zero and Fenri Lunaedge. However, with all it's ups, there are some downs. The story is predictable, and despite the overall easiness, the secret areas are ruthless. Still, a great game. Expand
  3. Aug 5, 2013
    Very solid entry in the series.

It has the good ol' Mega Man jump n' shoot feel to it.
    Cool and entertaining story that doesn't spoil the action.

One complaint is the annoyance brought from the map system which is close to non-existent.
    A lot of times you end up running around exploring to figure what you are even looking for.

A solid platformer worth playing though.

7 out of 10.
  4. Apr 2, 2017
    Mega Man ZX is a decent Mega Man experience, one that is often overlooked by fans of the series. The game is pretty much about the same as any of the Mega Man platformers: completing levels with a boss at the end. The main gimmick here is the ability to transform into 5 different Mega Man ‘Models’, each of them based on the Guardians from the Zero series (aside from Model ZX, which isMega Man ZX is a decent Mega Man experience, one that is often overlooked by fans of the series. The game is pretty much about the same as any of the Mega Man platformers: completing levels with a boss at the end. The main gimmick here is the ability to transform into 5 different Mega Man ‘Models’, each of them based on the Guardians from the Zero series (aside from Model ZX, which is based on Zero from the same series). This is a pretty good mechanic, as it adds a good amount of variety to the gameplay. All of the transformations are fun to use and well implemented. Well, maybe the basic human form is a bit off. The controls are great, which is something very important in a Mega Man game.

As for the levels themselves, most of them are fun to play. Bosses were also good and fun to defeat, and some of them were pretty creative in my opinion, like Lurrere. The difficulty is below the Zero games, maybe on par with the SNES X games. The game has also a bunch of ‘side-quests’ available, but all of them, or at least the ones I came across felt so irrelevant and dumb that I didn’t even bother trying.

The story was… uh, who cares about the story in a Mega Man game. After playing through and loving the heck out of the Zero games, my expectations for the story were probably a bit too high. Actually, my expectations for everything in this game were a bit too high. As a result, I always found myself thinking of how better the Zero games were in comparison to this one while playing. This is a problem of mine though, as I liked the Zero series a lot and played ZX almost immediately after finishing those games. If you don’t compare them, ZX is still a good experience.

The music was unexpectedly good. Lots of memorable and catchy songs like those you would expect from a great Mega Man game (Prometheus & Pandora’s fight is clearly my favorite). Can’t say much about the graphics, other than they look like an updated version of the Mega Man Zero graphics.

I think most of the people will agree that ZX’s big flaw is its messy and inconvenient world layout. Yes, I said ‘world’, as the game takes place in a metroidvania-esque map. Levels are actual areas that you have to reach. So how does this turn into a negative thing? Well, for starting, the map is completely blank when you begin, and the game gives you no clue on where to find the area you’re supposed to go. And even when you have discovered a good amount of the map, getting from a place to another is still confusing, as the map doesn’t exactly correlate with the actual world. If area B in the map appears to the left of area A, you’d think that being in area A and going to the left will take you to area B. But nope, the door leading to area B is actually in the middle of area A, not in the left as the map indicates. As a result of this, I ended up wasting a lot of play time and looking up walkthroughs just trying to figure out where the heck I was supposed to go. Getting lost in a Mega Man game. That is just wrong.

But if you get past that inconvenience, a satisfying Mega Man experience awaits at each of the levels. So in all, ZX is a solid Mega Man title, one that will satisfy anyone looking for a game that resembles the X and (especially) the Zero series, though it doesn’t reach the level of quality of neither.

I can’t finish this review without mentioning the amazing Omega Zero fight. Yes, he’s back, even with the same sprite and moves from Zero 3, only that 10 times harder and better. Easily my favorite boss in the entire Mega Man series. That fight was truly a treat, and clearly the best thing ZX has to offer.

Score: 8.0
  5. BenG.
    Sep 8, 2007
    I thought the whole reason Capcom is reluctant to make 3D Megaman games is because they would be too complicated and that the simplicity of 2D allows more focus on tight gameplay. It's anybody's guess then, as to why would they muddle the classic structure of Megaman with a horrendous map system and poorly made mission objectives. ZX is strictly a step down from Mega Man Zero on I thought the whole reason Capcom is reluctant to make 3D Megaman games is because they would be too complicated and that the simplicity of 2D allows more focus on tight gameplay. It's anybody's guess then, as to why would they muddle the classic structure of Megaman with a horrendous map system and poorly made mission objectives. ZX is strictly a step down from Mega Man Zero on Game Boy Advance. Expand
  6. MrtM.
    Oct 24, 2006
    This game really sucks! I like Megaman games but this one is a deception, because the mission system just sucks! and you have to go around the entire place to find where are you meant to go! so it ruins the very well built mission system it had before plus the graphic are like for the sp.
  7. DarrenZ.
    Sep 25, 2006
    In addition to what Nate B. wrote, this game seems to have been designed for a system with no RAM as enemies immediately respawn as soon as you exit their screen-space. Retreating is tactically useless simply because there's never a safe place behind you to retreat to. The general effect is to compel you to simply barrel forward, mindlessly shooting whatever enemies happen to be in In addition to what Nate B. wrote, this game seems to have been designed for a system with no RAM as enemies immediately respawn as soon as you exit their screen-space. Retreating is tactically useless simply because there's never a safe place behind you to retreat to. The general effect is to compel you to simply barrel forward, mindlessly shooting whatever enemies happen to be in front of you. Not to mention this could have been a Game Boy Advance game for all the use the second screen gets. There's potential for a really great game here (heck, I'd have settled for a merely good one!); however, there are simply too many flaws that get in the way of the fun. Expand
  8. Tupac
    Aug 12, 2007
    It's just like the old megaman x games for snes in terms of gameplay except you don't know how to get where you're supposed to go half the time. the story is decent but that doesn't really matter to me. If it was easier to find out where to go this would have been a 9.
  9. Salamitsunami
    Sep 17, 2006
    seriously, one of the best games I have ever played, not just on the DS. if you own a DS, and have ever LOOKED at a megaman game this is a must-buy. simply fantastic open-ended gameplay, I think it's almost the best game for the system right now. tough choice between this, nsmb and starfox.
  10. RaymundoR.
    Sep 26, 2007
    I'm a great fan of megaman and this game tops them all. it's anime cuts are the bomb. they might be in japanese but at least it has english subtitles. i all ready reserved it's sequel Megaman ZX Advent. i have read many previews of both games and they all agree with me that it's the best one yet. P.S. The megaman starforce game is not too far from this one.
  11. May 24, 2015
    The game is great and fun, has good 2D graphics, the story is tae interesting, the gameplay is great, I found the interface not so good, but the style of "special weapons" pleased me greatly.
  12. Dec 20, 2015
    Good continuation for the X game series. Graphics are nice, gameplay rocks. Biggest problem here is that while the graphic style and storytelling is attractive to kids potential new players, the difficulty of the game is high for a more matured gamer(a.k.a. players that came from X and Zero series) to play. That's why it didn't go commercially good.
  13. Jul 21, 2016
    This game is great and should get a third installment of the series as this game doesn't lack or make me mad on levels. This IS better than the sequel but both games are great.
  14. Dec 7, 2016
    Megaman ZX can be a bit frustrating with its map system, and it can be very easy to feel lost. However, the game is very fun to play with the many abilities players can unlock after defeating each boss. Megaman fans will have a blast.
  15. Aug 23, 2017
    I should open this review by saying I grew up with a PC, not a console, so my first experience with Megaman games was the official Windows port of the first Megaman X. All my favorite platformers have been on PC, everything from Abuse to the Shantae series to Rogue Stormers. For me, a controller just doesn't do the job well enough, and my performance suffers for it. I'm just not very goodI should open this review by saying I grew up with a PC, not a console, so my first experience with Megaman games was the official Windows port of the first Megaman X. All my favorite platformers have been on PC, everything from Abuse to the Shantae series to Rogue Stormers. For me, a controller just doesn't do the job well enough, and my performance suffers for it. I'm just not very good at Megaman games- but a keyboard lets me pretend that I am.

In the case of ZX, it was a borrow from a friend, so I played it on my 3DS XL. There's a lot I like about the game: The similarity of movement and combat to the early X games, the nods to the Zero series, the Metroid-esque, open-ended map and mission structure, the bright and vibrant colors, and of course, the ability to play as Zero- if only by proxy. But there's a lot I didn't like, and mostly that's problems with my hands and with the weight and awkwardness of the console, leading to issues like my thumb slipping off the control nub. As a result, I had to play the game on easy to get anywhere in a timely fashion, a fact I'd apologize for but at this point, I simply don't have the time to waste dying to the same bosses repeatedly.

But where the actual game is concerned, I didn't much like how flagrantly animesque the character designs and plot have become, nor did I at all like how absolutely useless the map system was. Also, a "return to HQ" ability would have been real nice.

ZX is by no means a bad game, but It wasn't totally enjoyable for me to play. That should not at all dissuade anyone reading this from looking into it, especially if you've enjoyed the other core Megaman games.

#17 Most Discussed DS Game of 2006
#23 Most Shared DS Game of 2006

1. The Castlevania/Metroid style of play works really well here and is used at it's full potential. This is a great addition to any Megaman fan's collection, although, again, I suggest to wait for the english version. [JPN Import]
  2. Play Magazine