Mega Man ZX DS

• Release Date: Sep 12, 2006
8.2

1. MegmManFanX
    Oct 25, 2007
    Capcom has a winner on their hands. The mission system, while stupid in some eyes, is a nice twist! And the map is easy to navigate with a decent amount of skill. The bosses also provide good challenge, with secret bosses like Omega Zero and Fenri Lunaedge. However, with all it's ups, there are some downs. The story is predictable, and despite the overall easiness, the secret areas Capcom has a winner on their hands. The mission system, while stupid in some eyes, is a nice twist! And the map is easy to navigate with a decent amount of skill. The bosses also provide good challenge, with secret bosses like Omega Zero and Fenri Lunaedge. However, with all it's ups, there are some downs. The story is predictable, and despite the overall easiness, the secret areas are ruthless. Still, a great game. Expand
  2. Apr 2, 2017
    Mega Man ZX is a decent Mega Man experience, one that is often overlooked by fans of the series. The game is pretty much about the same as any of the Mega Man platformers: completing levels with a boss at the end. The main gimmick here is the ability to transform into 5 different Mega Man ‘Models’, each of them based on the Guardians from the Zero series (aside from Model ZX, which isMega Man ZX is a decent Mega Man experience, one that is often overlooked by fans of the series. The game is pretty much about the same as any of the Mega Man platformers: completing levels with a boss at the end. The main gimmick here is the ability to transform into 5 different Mega Man ‘Models’, each of them based on the Guardians from the Zero series (aside from Model ZX, which is based on Zero from the same series). This is a pretty good mechanic, as it adds a good amount of variety to the gameplay. All of the transformations are fun to use and well implemented. Well, maybe the basic human form is a bit off. The controls are great, which is something very important in a Mega Man game.

As for the levels themselves, most of them are fun to play. Bosses were also good and fun to defeat, and some of them were pretty creative in my opinion, like Lurrere. The difficulty is below the Zero games, maybe on par with the SNES X games. The game has also a bunch of ‘side-quests’ available, but all of them, or at least the ones I came across felt so irrelevant and dumb that I didn’t even bother trying.

The story was… uh, who cares about the story in a Mega Man game. After playing through and loving the heck out of the Zero games, my expectations for the story were probably a bit too high. Actually, my expectations for everything in this game were a bit too high. As a result, I always found myself thinking of how better the Zero games were in comparison to this one while playing. This is a problem of mine though, as I liked the Zero series a lot and played ZX almost immediately after finishing those games. If you don’t compare them, ZX is still a good experience.

The music was unexpectedly good. Lots of memorable and catchy songs like those you would expect from a great Mega Man game (Prometheus & Pandora’s fight is clearly my favorite). Can’t say much about the graphics, other than they look like an updated version of the Mega Man Zero graphics.

I think most of the people will agree that ZX’s big flaw is its messy and inconvenient world layout. Yes, I said ‘world’, as the game takes place in a metroidvania-esque map. Levels are actual areas that you have to reach. So how does this turn into a negative thing? Well, for starting, the map is completely blank when you begin, and the game gives you no clue on where to find the area you’re supposed to go. And even when you have discovered a good amount of the map, getting from a place to another is still confusing, as the map doesn’t exactly correlate with the actual world. If area B in the map appears to the left of area A, you’d think that being in area A and going to the left will take you to area B. But nope, the door leading to area B is actually in the middle of area A, not in the left as the map indicates. As a result of this, I ended up wasting a lot of play time and looking up walkthroughs just trying to figure out where the heck I was supposed to go. Getting lost in a Mega Man game. That is just wrong.

But if you get past that inconvenience, a satisfying Mega Man experience awaits at each of the levels. So in all, ZX is a solid Mega Man title, one that will satisfy anyone looking for a game that resembles the X and (especially) the Zero series, though it doesn’t reach the level of quality of neither.

I can’t finish this review without mentioning the amazing Omega Zero fight. Yes, he’s back, even with the same sprite and moves from Zero 3, only that 10 times harder and better. Easily my favorite boss in the entire Mega Man series. That fight was truly a treat, and clearly the best thing ZX has to offer.

Score: 8.0
  3. Salamitsunami
    Sep 17, 2006
    seriously, one of the best games I have ever played, not just on the DS. if you own a DS, and have ever LOOKED at a megaman game this is a must-buy. simply fantastic open-ended gameplay, I think it's almost the best game for the system right now. tough choice between this, nsmb and starfox.
  4. RaymundoR.
    Sep 26, 2007
    I'm a great fan of megaman and this game tops them all. it's anime cuts are the bomb. they might be in japanese but at least it has english subtitles. i all ready reserved it's sequel Megaman ZX Advent. i have read many previews of both games and they all agree with me that it's the best one yet. P.S. The megaman starforce game is not too far from this one.
  5. May 24, 2015
    The game is great and fun, has good 2D graphics, the story is tae interesting, the gameplay is great, I found the interface not so good, but the style of "special weapons" pleased me greatly.
  6. Dec 20, 2015
    Good continuation for the X game series. Graphics are nice, gameplay rocks. Biggest problem here is that while the graphic style and storytelling is attractive to kids potential new players, the difficulty of the game is high for a more matured gamer(a.k.a. players that came from X and Zero series) to play. That's why it didn't go commercially good.
  7. Jul 21, 2016
    This game is great and should get a third installment of the series as this game doesn't lack or make me mad on levels. This IS better than the sequel but both games are great.

#17 Most Discussed DS Game of 2006
#22 Most Shared DS Game of 2006

1. The Castlevania/Metroid style of play works really well here and is used at it's full potential. This is a great addition to any Megaman fan's collection, although, again, I suggest to wait for the english version. [JPN Import]
  2. Play Magazine