8.1

1. May 10, 2012
    Poor single player, but the multiplayer is excellent and very polished. A blast to play with friends especially since you only need one card. Other stand outs include the graphics and decent soundtrack. Still, it definitely doesn't have the same atmosphere as the console series. It's more like a sampler, though without the innovation or creative level design that the console games are famous for.
  2. Aug 12, 2010
    Metroid Prime Hunters is very impressive. The DS isn't great with graphics, but Metroid Prime Hunters, really looks amazing. The Gameplay is good as well, although it is really very tricky. If your a new gamer you might want to gain some experience before playing. But it is good, there aren't very many FPS's on DS and so if your looking for a good shooter this is a great one.
  3. Sep 2, 2010
    Metroid Prime Hunters is all about multiplayers. I never been able to play in single player mode for more then twenty minutes, I always switch to the multiplayers mode. The new hunters are original and very cool to play. Each one of them as it's unique morph form that can be used for different play style. The stages are great and can be used for some strategic advantage. Even the onlineMetroid Prime Hunters is all about multiplayers. I never been able to play in single player mode for more then twenty minutes, I always switch to the multiplayers mode. The new hunters are original and very cool to play. Each one of them as it's unique morph form that can be used for different play style. The stages are great and can be used for some strategic advantage. Even the online feels better than a lot of Wii games. The only down side of Metroid Prime Hunters is the technical limitation of the DS. This game could as been easily my best game of the year if it as been made for the Wii. A must have for all FPS and online multiplayers fans. Expand
  4. Sep 6, 2010
    Provided you use the thumb-nub accessory for the touch screen instead of a stylus to avoid cramp you will have little difficulty with the controls, free to reap the benefits of a more accurate mouse-like aiming system sorely lacking on all other portable game consoles and analog-stick shooters. Multiplayer aside (complimented enough as it is) I fee I have to defend the single-playerProvided you use the thumb-nub accessory for the touch screen instead of a stylus to avoid cramp you will have little difficulty with the controls, free to reap the benefits of a more accurate mouse-like aiming system sorely lacking on all other portable game consoles and analog-stick shooters. Multiplayer aside (complimented enough as it is) I fee I have to defend the single-player campaign from the flak it has received. Metroid has always been about the isolation and lonely exploration of its universe, allowing its players to observe and interpret its rich background and nature in their own way. The scan visor and the innumerable scannable objects in the game provide this data in a way akin to genuine self-led discovery as opposed to that of a camera-led, cutscene rich journey, and that is part of the beauty and mystery of Metroid games (although admittedly different mixes in Fusion and Other M prove just as enjoyable). The primary issue of the single-player campaign is its repeating boss and odd climax-less countdowns. Otherwise this remains an excellent experience for those with the patience and imagination to take the game slowly, scan every creature, lore-piece and equipment. Those without the patience clearly do not appreciate what sort of game this was meant to be. [score: 8.5, rounded up] Expand
  5. Sep 28, 2010
    8 This is actually very good to be a DS game, considering how all the other portable fps games have failed big time. The graphics are great, the story is thrilling as always. Also, the controls on this game are great, once you get used to controlling the screen and buttons at the same time.
  6. Aug 19, 2013
    This game is worthless. I tried playing it because I'm a MASSIVE metroid fan, but it almost made me hate the series. It tries to focus on exploration, but they fail to make it fun EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. Enemies are boring to fight and deal too much damage, yet they give plenty of health pickups meaning that you will die often from not making any mistakes at all. The controls are shyte.This game is worthless. I tried playing it because I'm a MASSIVE metroid fan, but it almost made me hate the series. It tries to focus on exploration, but they fail to make it fun EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. Enemies are boring to fight and deal too much damage, yet they give plenty of health pickups meaning that you will die often from not making any mistakes at all. The controls are shyte. You NEVER get used to the controls. They are a constant burden. The level design is dull, ugly, and confusing as he11. The map is useless. It doesn't give clues as to how to access certain areas, which you're not even sure you're supposed to navigate to. At the end of every planet you have to run back to your ship. The time limit is well timed, so you always arrive with just under a minute or so to spare, but the level design is so horrid that you will probably get stuck backtracking several times due to camera confusion or repeated level patterns. The third boss I came across took 20 minutes to beat, repeating the same pattern the ENTIRE TIME. You shoot these small crystals that shoot slow moving green orbs at you, and you have to shoot all like 15 crystals when they turn blue so that the main crystal can emerge and you can shoot at it. You are FORCED to run around in circles this entire time, which requires an insane amount of ambidexterity. Then when the crystal finally pops out it only comes out for 5 seconds. Blasting it at full force with missles/charged shots or your best gun will always deal about 8 pixels worth of damage, resulting in it ducking back and all other 15 crystals regenerating, forcing you to repeat this process about 20 times before it dies. This fact, along with forced checkpoints that do not regive you max health, are proof that this game had zero playtesting at all. Imagine you have 1 health and stumble across an invisible forced checkpoint with a boss coming up. You'll have to delete your save file and start from the beginning! You rarely pick up any upgrades. It lets you start with charge shot, maru maru, bombs, and missles. Why? no other game does this! I'll tell you why. It's because this entire game wasn't developed for fun. It was developed in an attempt to show off the DS's capabilities compared to the Gamecube. They wanted people to buy the DS thinking it was going to be 'just like prime' but they didn't care about anything else. "Just make it look like Metroid Prime and ship it" How pathetic. I award this game ZERO points, and my god have mercy on their soul. Expand
  7. Mar 17, 2011
    This game is pretty damn awesome, and if you don't have it you should go and get it.
    As a FPS it works well, the stylus controls are easy to get used to, and they give you precise aiming (maybe too precise because in multiplayer with any amount of skill you can headshot everyone without having to scope with the sniper) They might break your hand if you play this game for a long time on multiplayer, on singleplayer there are enough breaks in the action for your hand to net get too worn out.
    Graphics are nice, everything has got pretty good textures, explosions are nice to look at, and the cutscene graphics are of almost ps2 quality (which is an achievement for a handheld such as this)
    Gameplay is fast paced and solid, the puzzle sections are never too tricky to figure out, and the only gripe I had with it was in some of the morphball puzzles.
    multiplayer GLITCHES, GLITCHES EVERYWHERE if you can get into a match where people are not just hiding inside walls then it's a lot of fun, this is the only reason i'm not giving this game a 10. The character selection is decent, with each hunter being unlocked as you play through the single player, and each of them having their own abilities.
    You can play against bots if you just fancy killing some time, the AI is decent enough on hardest to give you a run for your money, so even if you can't get online you can still use the hunters you unlock.
    Download play is pretty good as well, even if it means you stomp on your friends because they're all forced to play as Samus
    All in all this is a good DS title with probably the best controls for FPSs on it, the gameplay is fun, the single player is short but interesting, multiplayer is buggy but when it isn't then it's good fun, and the graphics are fantastic.
  8. Jul 16, 2011
    I know , i know , the gameplay is painful and hard, but is too damn addicting the multiplayer. Starting with the story, is rewarding, while it lacks with almost no enemies in the adventure, there's a good time in it. The cut scene are great and looks detailed even for this little screen. A good arsenal of varied special attacks mixture the experience and add diversity. As for theI know , i know , the gameplay is painful and hard, but is too damn addicting the multiplayer. Starting with the story, is rewarding, while it lacks with almost no enemies in the adventure, there's a good time in it. The cut scene are great and looks detailed even for this little screen. A good arsenal of varied special attacks mixture the experience and add diversity. As for the multiplayer, even if it is offline is what i said in the beginning of the review. If you don't know what i meant for painful, is what Jaglur said, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is the flaw in here, ouch, i think my fingers are destroyed. Expand
  9. Jul 8, 2011
    I can say this is a great game just cause I have barely played the single player and just went to multiplayer when it started to suck (immediately). Only downside is that you can only do battle mode in multiplayer there should be other modes like survival. Hey and for all you kids whining about your hands hurting, theres a simple and obvious solution. Didnt you know theres stylus left handI can say this is a great game just cause I have barely played the single player and just went to multiplayer when it started to suck (immediately). Only downside is that you can only do battle mode in multiplayer there should be other modes like survival. Hey and for all you kids whining about your hands hurting, theres a simple and obvious solution. Didnt you know theres stylus left hand and stylus right hand. So when your left hand starts cramping, switch it to right hand mode!!! Expand
  10. Nov 10, 2011
    As a metroid fan I always loved the prime series, so lets start with the review.

Story: The singeplayer was not what I usually would expect from a metroid serie, the mission were mostly the same (at least when fighting a boss) which could bother some people. Multiplayer: Very entertaining, you have as a player a lot of options to choose and it feel quite ballanced, sad enough no one plays it anymore and its overpopulated with hackers.

Soundtracks: Fits the game really well, like I usually expect from them.

Conclusion: If you want to play this game just for the story, then the objectives that you have to do may bother you since it mostly the same. If you play this game for the multiplayer, the I suggest you play it with a friend and not online due to all the hackers.
    If you play this because you are a fan of Metroid, then it will be a fun experience.

warriorjan
  11. Nov 25, 2011
    I rated this game 8 not because of it's story mode, but of it's multi-player.
    You can add bots if you have no people to battle!
    I do that all the time!
    Pretty much the only portable FPS I know besides MGS: portable ops (I don't have that game though)
  12. Mar 7, 2012
    Wow. I instantly played this game and thought, 'Is this really a DS'?
    Wow. I instantly played this game and thought, 'Is this really a DS'?
    The graphics were so clean and polished, and all flowed quite well. The story, was average for the most part, and the level did seem a tad too repetitive, but honestly, the graphics in each level really impressed me, and the gameplay just added to this. Then we have the multi-player. Upon playing it, this game just became a lot more fun. Each character have their own alt-form, as well as their weapon of choice. As such, it allows for each type of player to chose the hunter that best suits his/her strategy.
    So, this game is able to uphold the reputation of Metroid Prime, even on this minute console. And, apart from the rooms being a little similar, the graphics are gameplay are just amazing.
  13. Mar 21, 2012
    this game is great all around....pretty good story mode......and intense wi fi and download play....the download play could be the best thing that came to the ds....awesome game awesome graphics theres so much to like about this game nd theres nothing to insult about this game....buy this game while its still not crossing over the $50 mark
  14. Jun 22, 2013
    Whilst the single player is very good it is multiplayer where this really shines. Grab some mates, sit down and let the carnage begin! This is the ONLY decent FPS for the DS and with a thumb tap and some decent local wireless friends makes a great afternoon!
  15. Aug 4, 2013
    I have never been a big fan of Metroid 3D games. This one is OK for me as the other ones.

Maybe its because Im not a big fan of first person shooters in general. The controls are good with the stylus, the visuals as well, but it feels like theres to much stuff going on at times, and sometimes its just way to much exploring that doesnt feel all to intriguing. An OK game in my mind.

Maybe its because Im not a big fan of first person shooters in general.

An OK game in my mind. 5 out of 10.
  16. Mar 15, 2014
    Metroid Prime Hunters is the best FPS on the DS. The exploration and game world is great. The puzzles could have been better but are still good. The multiplayer is interesting with multiple characters to fit your playstyle..
  17. Mar 17, 2014
    A must have if you enjoyed the prime series. The game is placed between Metroid prime and Metroid prime 2: Echoes. Prime hunters truly deserves to belong to this series, the controls are easy to learn and very intuitive and the level design is very similar to its predecessors.
  18. Apr 28, 2014
    Pretty good game! This game is a bit old but well worth picking up if you like first person games. We had a lot of fun with it during the Easter holidays. It's not as good as on a TV console, but on the 3DS is plays fantastically well. If you like the series this is a must to have.

Approximately as big as Metroid Prime on the GameCube, it's hard to imagine how Nintendo squeezed Hunters into a tiny DS cartridge. Metroid Prime: Hunters is a very polished game, suffering more from small quirks than actual flaws.
  2. The game's controls take a bit of time to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, you'll realize NST has done an extraordinary job in bringing Samus to the Nintendo DS...You'd be hard-pressed to find a better online title for the Nintendo DS.
    Metroid Prime Hunters is easily the best handheld first person shooter developed to date, even with its somewhat high learning curve and cramp-inducing control.