8.0

1. Aug 19, 2013
    This game is worthless. I tried playing it because I'm a MASSIVE metroid fan, but it almost made me hate the series. It tries to focus on exploration, but they fail to make it fun EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. Enemies are boring to fight and deal too much damage, yet they give plenty of health pickups meaning that you will die often from not making any mistakes at all. The controls are shyte.This game is worthless. I tried playing it because I'm a MASSIVE metroid fan, but it almost made me hate the series. It tries to focus on exploration, but they fail to make it fun EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. Enemies are boring to fight and deal too much damage, yet they give plenty of health pickups meaning that you will die often from not making any mistakes at all. The controls are shyte. You NEVER get used to the controls. They are a constant burden. The level design is dull, ugly, and confusing as he11. The map is useless. It doesn't give clues as to how to access certain areas, which you're not even sure you're supposed to navigate to. At the end of every planet you have to run back to your ship. The time limit is well timed, so you always arrive with just under a minute or so to spare, but the level design is so horrid that you will probably get stuck backtracking several times due to camera confusion or repeated level patterns. The third boss I came across took 20 minutes to beat, repeating the same pattern the ENTIRE TIME. You shoot these small crystals that shoot slow moving green orbs at you, and you have to shoot all like 15 crystals when they turn blue so that the main crystal can emerge and you can shoot at it. You are FORCED to run around in circles this entire time, which requires an insane amount of ambidexterity. Then when the crystal finally pops out it only comes out for 5 seconds. Blasting it at full force with missles/charged shots or your best gun will always deal about 8 pixels worth of damage, resulting in it ducking back and all other 15 crystals regenerating, forcing you to repeat this process about 20 times before it dies. This fact, along with forced checkpoints that do not regive you max health, are proof that this game had zero playtesting at all. Imagine you have 1 health and stumble across an invisible forced checkpoint with a boss coming up. You'll have to delete your save file and start from the beginning! You rarely pick up any upgrades. It lets you start with charge shot, maru maru, bombs, and missles. Why? no other game does this! I'll tell you why. It's because this entire game wasn't developed for fun. It was developed in an attempt to show off the DS's capabilities compared to the Gamecube. They wanted people to buy the DS thinking it was going to be 'just like prime' but they didn't care about anything else. "Just make it look like Metroid Prime and ship it" How pathetic. I award this game ZERO points, and my god have mercy on their soul. Expand

Approximately as big as Metroid Prime on the GameCube, it's hard to imagine how Nintendo squeezed Hunters into a tiny DS cartridge. Metroid Prime: Hunters is a very polished game, suffering more from small quirks than actual flaws.
  2. The game's controls take a bit of time to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, you'll realize NST has done an extraordinary job in bringing Samus to the Nintendo DS...You'd be hard-pressed to find a better online title for the Nintendo DS.
    Metroid Prime Hunters is easily the best handheld first person shooter developed to date, even with its somewhat high learning curve and cramp-inducing control.