Metroid Prime: Hunters DS

8.1

1. JerradH.
    Mar 26, 2006
    An absolutely superb game, but you have to be a complete masochist to play this game any longer than an hour. My right hand and index finger hurt something fierce thanks to the awkward controls. It kills me (literally) to give the game a lower score than a 10, but no game is fun enough to be worth physical pain.
  2. Bruce
    Jan 11, 2007
    The levels, puzzles and bosses look great, but they are very repetitive. The input puts a lot of strain on your left hand and wrist as you try to shoot, move, and hold up the DS all with the one hand. I find I perch my DS on the left edge of a table so that the unit is supported while I move and shoot with the left hand. Overall, good but not great.
  3. AnonymousMC
    Sep 20, 2008
    Good game. The graphics and are amazing. Single player isn't that exciting though. Multiplayer can be fun but there's too many hackers and it's cheap in the sense that there's health things scattered around the maps and everyone just runs away and gets full health again so it feels like a drag. They shouldn't have included health as this would have made it moreGood game. The graphics and are amazing. Single player isn't that exciting though. Multiplayer can be fun but there's too many hackers and it's cheap in the sense that there's health things scattered around the maps and everyone just runs away and gets full health again so it feels like a drag. They shouldn't have included health as this would have made it more like deathmatch. Also everyone just uses their secondary morph mode which gets real boring and annoying. Expand
  4. MarkS.
    Mar 28, 2006
    I think Jerrad's review and score hit the nail on the head on this one. This game, perhaps more than any other exemplifies the shortcomings of 3-D based, first person games on a PORTABLE... And Metroid prime hunters might actually be key and pivotal and displaying the gimmicky nature of the touch screen, and why certain games are just simply meant for consoles. Sure the graphics are I think Jerrad's review and score hit the nail on the head on this one. This game, perhaps more than any other exemplifies the shortcomings of 3-D based, first person games on a PORTABLE... And Metroid prime hunters might actually be key and pivotal and displaying the gimmicky nature of the touch screen, and why certain games are just simply meant for consoles. Sure the graphics are outstanding, and this game is fun to play up to a certain point, but is this game really worth buying a DS over? This is the game that everyone has been waiting anxiously for, for like almost a year and so far the reviews appear disappointing. As Jerrad and EB hinted at, is this game really worth getting Carpal Tunnel syndome over? In my opinion if this game doesn't really catch on, especially with the failed application of the touchscreen, then the Nintendo DS is a failure. And I am not really holding my breath for a touch screen Zelda, I think I'll just stick with the easier (and more fun) Minish Cap and Metroid Fusion. I'm a Fanboy, but not so much that I am willing to get permanent cramps in my hands and fingers for a videogame. Expand
  5. HenryH.
    May 5, 2006
    The game's controls are weak. WHY! WHY jump with the right and shoot with the left.
  6. JaredC.
    Nov 17, 2007
    Metroid Prime Hunters is one of the best action games for Nintendo DS. Ya right. Some may wonder why is it rated T for Teen. Well the game is slightly difficult and hypnotysingly confusing. And I got lost half way point. By that time, you don't want to play the game anymore because it just gets plain old boring. The only fun part of the game is multiplayer. But nobody I knew wanted Metroid Prime Hunters is one of the best action games for Nintendo DS. Ya right. Some may wonder why is it rated T for Teen. Well the game is slightly difficult and hypnotysingly confusing. And I got lost half way point. By that time, you don't want to play the game anymore because it just gets plain old boring. The only fun part of the game is multiplayer. But nobody I knew wanted to play it. Well, first of all, I got stuck and was completely lost and there was no hints to get you out of the situation. Besides, I was dissapointed to that fact that there were no aliens or other species jumped out at you and have a huge invasion of bugs or whatever and try to defeat them all. But on the other hand, it started out that you parked your ship and jumped out. Walking around a bit traveling through doors. From my opinon, I think that the creator was loosing ideas for jabbing in quick action scenes in there. I bet ya' that he tried to make it suspenseful and, as the genre reads: Horror, he wanted you to be suspicious to what's going to happen next. He very well did that you very much but he did a poor job overall. The game is truly exciting and undeniably thrilling, which grabs your attention by the amazing 2 minute introductory video that swictched your stress to excitement. And multiplayer is very fun, but only for a couple of times and then it just gets boring after a while. My complaint to this whole video game here is that it was by far way to challenging and difficult to get used of. They lost ideas of action scenes once and a while. And all you did for most of the time is walk around scanning things 24/7 and shooting little plants that are blocking the way. That's all it is. Well, anyways, it still was a brilliant thrilling game. It's good but not great, just rent it from the store but don't waste your money on a 40 dollar game that you'll never play. Just for the heads up. Expand
  7. DJT
    Dec 15, 2007
    This is a great playing great looking game! A good game on the system and a perfect addition to the overal Metroid franchise. The casual gamer should stay away... it's an action adventure, and if you aren't playing it everyday until you are finished it, you may forget about where you left off and it becomes a little tedious. Otherwsie, it's a great adventure!
  8. Aug 12, 2010
    Metroid Prime Hunters is very impressive. The DS isn't great with graphics, but Metroid Prime Hunters, really looks amazing. The Gameplay is good as well, although it is really very tricky. If your a new gamer you might want to gain some experience before playing. But it is good, there aren't very many FPS's on DS and so if your looking for a good shooter this is a great one.
  9. Jagur
    Mar 31, 2006
    the reason for the low vote is this... 1) story mode was less than 3 hours long, you could do it in 2 or less i bet. 2) OMG! i think i now have Carpul Tunnel Syndrome 3)why didnt this come with a Rumble Pak but Metroid Pinball does? HUH? 4)Linier game play, who needs a map when its all spelled out for you anyway. 5)Recycled Bosses...if i see or hear from that stupid tower or Slench again the reason for the low vote is this... 1) story mode was less than 3 hours long, you could do it in 2 or less i bet. 2) OMG! i think i now have Carpul Tunnel Syndrome 3)why didnt this come with a Rumble Pak but Metroid Pinball does? HUH? 4)Linier game play, who needs a map when its all spelled out for you anyway. 5)Recycled Bosses...if i see or hear from that stupid tower or Slench again it will be to soon. 6)EASY!!! this game wasnt hard at all..i had three E-tanks within 20 minutes of play. ....also, every boss gives loads of heath,all you have to do is shoot, soak up health, and shoot some more...dead boss.. 7)Timed escapes back to your ship after every boss level.....talk about redundant..way to take a classic piece of Metroid nostalgia to the level of over-dose.. 8)weapons of no use...the power beam and a charged missle are all you need so whats the point? sure you need the Alimbic cannon in the end but thats not my point besides opening colored doors. 9)story line...blah blah blah, another alien race wiped out by thier own weapons that somehow a hero (Samus) can use properly. 10)after waiting 15 months, this game just does not feel like Metroid to me or meet up with the hype machine leading to the re-lease....what a bummer. Expand
  10. RichardF.
    Jun 19, 2007
    A good multiplayer game ruined by a single player mode with (as people have rightly said) literally painful and frustratingly awkward controls, repetitive bosses, some head-explodingly confusing level design, respawning enemies, etc. If they were going to put so little effort into the single player mode they shouldn't really have bothered at all.
  11. AnonymousMC
    Feb 15, 2008
    It was ok, the multi is really the sole prozider. and there u cant get any good hunters till u kill the game first anyway.
    I was told if i wanted a fps get mp:Hunters, as i play fantasy.
    Boses were way to painful and repetative. I spent 2weeks killing the bose on the ice planet to get trace. I stoped there. All players should be multi avalible from start, its a cheap excuse to get u
    I was told if i wanted a fps get mp:Hunters, as i play fantasy.
    Boses were way to painful and repetative.
    I spent 2weeks killing the bose on the ice planet to get trace.
    I stoped there.
    All players should be multi avalible from start, its a cheap excuse to get u play the game adventure.
    Alround good but not great.
    Coruption better be better.
  12. CharlieN.
    Jul 13, 2006
    Ok... This game is completely overhyped... It's a great experience but the only reason I believe people are so hyped is because it's a handheld FPS. The story is very weak... The bosses are very repetitive and the game is way too easy. If you want to get everything completed, you have to literally scan everything (ANNOYING). The only part where this game excedes what other games Ok... This game is completely overhyped... It's a great experience but the only reason I believe people are so hyped is because it's a handheld FPS. The story is very weak... The bosses are very repetitive and the game is way too easy. If you want to get everything completed, you have to literally scan everything (ANNOYING). The only part where this game excedes what other games have, is the Wi-Fi Multiplayer. This game is more annoying than fun in my opinion. Buy if you need something to and are going on a quick hour-long road trip; I'd suggest this game. Rating 5 just because of the multiplayer. Expand
  13. HamishB.
    Sep 8, 2006
    Metroid Prime Hunters
  14. Aug 4, 2013
    I have never been a big fan of Metroid 3D games. This one is OK for me as the other ones.

Maybe its because Im not a big fan of first person shooters in general. The controls are good with the stylus, the visuals as well, but it feels like theres to much stuff going on at times, and sometimes its just way to much exploring that doesnt feel all to intriguing. An OK game in my mind.

Maybe its because Im not a big fan of first person shooters in general.

An OK game in my mind. 5 out of 10.

#2 Most Discussed DS Game of 2006
#4 Most Shared DS Game of 2006

Approximately as big as Metroid Prime on the GameCube, it's hard to imagine how Nintendo squeezed Hunters into a tiny DS cartridge. Metroid Prime: Hunters is a very polished game, suffering more from small quirks than actual flaws.
  2. The game's controls take a bit of time to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, you'll realize NST has done an extraordinary job in bringing Samus to the Nintendo DS...You'd be hard-pressed to find a better online title for the Nintendo DS.
    Metroid Prime Hunters is easily the best handheld first person shooter developed to date, even with its somewhat high learning curve and cramp-inducing control.