• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Mar 4, 2008
8.5

1. Nov 25, 2012
    Mystery Dungeon: Shiren The Wanderer is a DS game that is a remake and translation to a japan exclusive Super Famicom version of the game. The game is a retro Roguelike Strategy RPG, and an extremely difficult and unforgiving one at that. Its a genre that is not for everyone. Trust me, you will die FREQUENTLY! The point of the game is to learn from your mistakes, replan accordingly and try again to get a little bit farther the next time, it feels extremely rewarding to finally pass an area you where struggling with earlier. For the people who are into these kind of games will find a fun, difficult and replayable Strategy RPG experience. The music and graphics are absolutely beautiful and fit the atmosphere of the game perfectly. and a large variety of different items and enemies for you to learn about and find a way to get as far as possible with the knowledge you gain. I'm not sure if this is a problem with my specific copy of the game, or all of them, but it appears the online server for doing Wifi rescues seems to no longer exist or function which is somewhat of a disappointment. Overall, its a fun yet difficult experience. If you have ever played a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game and want to play a much harder variation of the game, try taking a chance with this game. It seems to be fairly cheap as I had bought it in used condition for 5 dollars in Canada. Expand
  2. Nov 23, 2012
    A wonderful roguelike! This masterpiece is filled with various enemies with intriguing and sometimes hilarious (turned into a riceball!) abilities. An old-fashioned roguelike, yet with good and pleasant graphics!
    I have beaten the game, finished the kitchen god's shrine and the scroll cave (two bonus dungeons)
    and I am still trying to win fay's final puzzle (a 99 floor dungeon of awful
    difficulty), and so far so good!!!!
    My favorite game. If you hate difficult games and permanent death though, then stay away!
  3. Aug 21, 2011
    Holy crap! This is amazing! Sooooo amazing. Graphics: On my way in from Angband the graphics are heavenly. They aren't to much and they're not shiny or anything. They're simple sprite sheets and they work for the type of game. Gameplay: The controls are simple A: attacks. Y: open inventory. Crosskeys/ touch screen: Move shiren. You think its all easy then you die lose everything and have to navigate the dungeon with no weapons shields or healing items.
    Sound: The music and sounds work but nothing flashy and over the top.
    The game gets a nine out of ten for effort and succeeding in making a new Rougelike game for the DS.
    If you enjoy Rouglikes go buy it.
    Go buy it now.
    You were supposed to have bought it tree lines ago stop reading.
  4. Nov 23, 2012
    and I am still trying to win fay's final puzzle (a 99 floor dungeon of awful
    difficulty), and so far so good!!!!

1. Starting from scratch every time you have bad luck will be frustrating, but if you can get past the setbacks, you'll enjoy a solid DS adventure. [Mar 2008, p.86]
    The random dungeons are oftentimes poorly laid out, and the turn based gameplay can lead to a slow, jerky experience. Still, Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer is a game that will certainly give players a run for their money, if only due to the fact that it takes forever to beat.
    It's far more demanding than its fellow DS-based roguelikes, lacking, say, the cuddly mascots of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon or the cumulative experience-building of Izuna. But it's remarkably well crafted, with streamlined gameplay that belies its impressive substance.