New Super Mario Bros. DS

8.5

1. Mar 13, 2015
    I did beat the game 100% and I didn't like this game THAT much. The graphics are okay. The levels are fine. The bosses were fine but THE KOOPALINGS GOT THROWN OUT SINCE SUPER MARIO WOURLD I BELIEVE! But still okay. The controls are great I got SO used to it. I think this is a game worth getting. One of my least favourite Mario so far...
  2. Jan 4, 2011
    I love this game - especially the wireless multiplayer! My brother and I laugh so hard because it is so good - the BEST multiplayer I have ever played!

Here's my Top 50 games of all time:

The Legend of Zelda a Link to the Past
    Super Metroid
    The Legend of Zelda
    Metroid Prime (Trilogy)
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Resident Evil 4
    Tetris DS
    Words with Friends (Scrabble)
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Mike Tysonâ
  3. Nov 8, 2011
    "New Super Mario Bros" is the very first Mario game i've encountered and the very best i've played. Yes it's 2-D, but does it **** matter? Each unique level is differently designed with smooth running gameplay as Mario. The co-op is also a fun mode to play against or with your comrades. A good amount of extra stuff will also keep your DS busy for the while. A absolute blast and a must-play"New Super Mario Bros" is the very first Mario game i've encountered and the very best i've played. Yes it's 2-D, but does it **** matter? Each unique level is differently designed with smooth running gameplay as Mario. The co-op is also a fun mode to play against or with your comrades. A good amount of extra stuff will also keep your DS busy for the while. A absolute blast and a must-play for DS players. Expand
  4. Oct 5, 2010
    For one of the DS's earlier games, this still holds up very well, as it's only about 4 years old. It's a terrific platformer, filled with fun and innovation, and with plenty of throughbacks to Mario history. One of the best game on DS, and even one of the best games of 2006. This stands as what Mario games are: pure, undiluted downright fun.
  5. AnonymousMC
    May 7, 2006
    Mario is back! A must-own for every Nintendo DS owner! I've been waiting 15 years for this! I don't know why Nintendo didn't do this earlier! It must have been because the GameBoy doesn't have the 3D graphics that the Nintendo DS does. Here's hoping that they make more of these in the future! 10/10.
  6. DivineStorm
    Jul 10, 2008
    A very good game with great sound graphics and gameplay and a good remake too for the ds and fun multiplayer and minigames. It is also too damn short I finished this game in a day!!! I do think super mario 64 ds is slightly better.
  7. AnonymousMC
    May 26, 2006
    Almost a flawless game. I loved it and i was playing this game hours on end. The only flaw is the main mode. Amazing, until you finish it which doesn't take a long time at all. But I still love it so much. So leave your house right now and BUY IT!
  8. LydiaB.
    Dec 28, 2006
    This game is so awesome I can't even express how much I love it. The multiplayer is the most fun I've had on a handheld system in ages.
  9. Tjthegamer
    Jan 21, 2009
    This game is brillent! How could someone complain about difficulty? NSMB's last level's are almost as hard as any SMW special stages. Then they complain about the length of the game. Yes, I beat this game in 1 day too, however I didn't beat it 100% for another 2 months. There's plenty of replayablity which includes unlocking worlds 4 and 7. Then you must find all the This game is brillent! How could someone complain about difficulty? NSMB's last level's are almost as hard as any SMW special stages. Then they complain about the length of the game. Yes, I beat this game in 1 day too, however I didn't beat it 100% for another 2 months. There's plenty of replayablity which includes unlocking worlds 4 and 7. Then you must find all the hidden exits and then collect 3 big coins in level. If you still want more, you can replay the game as Luigi, or play some mini-games which support mulitiplayer and some minigames can only be played in mulitiplayer. This game is awesome! I just hope they make NSMB2. P.S. To the person who said this is the longest 2D SMB game, Super Mario World had 92 levels, this game only has 80, just wanted to point that out. Expand
  10. Apr 27, 2011
    8.5/10 = Great = A Very smart and fun plaformer. Problem is that i've played too many of them in the past and this is more of the same. Still as rewarding as ever though.
  11. RJV
    Aug 13, 2011
    The only problem with this game is it is rather easy. I myself beat the final boss the day I got the game, about 10 hours, and it would have been faster if i didn't have to share the cartridge with my brother. And as of now I have collected all the star coins, collectible large coins throughout every level, which was not as hard as you might think once you start collecting them. Enough ofThe only problem with this game is it is rather easy. I myself beat the final boss the day I got the game, about 10 hours, and it would have been faster if i didn't have to share the cartridge with my brother. And as of now I have collected all the star coins, collectible large coins throughout every level, which was not as hard as you might think once you start collecting them. Enough of the cons already. The game is very fun, and rewarding. If you are an experienced Mario player you will recognize bosses and levels from previous games. For instance, one of the bosses is straight from Super Mario Sunshine, and one of the early levels has huge similarities to world 2-2 in Super Mario Bros 3. Also, if you have played Super Mario 64, then you will recognize the Sea Monster that you ride on in two of the levels. The graphics are good, but I constantly feel annoyed at the graphics for the"Starman" power-up, whitch looks like it came off a kids sketch-pad. Even though it might be easy, finding all those star-coins will take time, and there is a great amount of fun playing through the levels again. More 2-D Mario games like this one to come i hope! Expand
  12. AnonymousMC
    Jul 7, 2006
    This is a great game and a must have title for ALL the DS owners. With all the 3D adventure games available on different platforms this game actually feels fresh although it's a game genre we all played the most with NES and SNES. There's also some mini-games available so this game is definitely worth its price.

All in all: It's easy enough for everyone to play but

All in all: It's easy enough for everyone to play but there's quite a challenge collecting all the star coins and finding all the secret levels too. What are you waiting for? Go and get it, NOW!
  13. ChrisM.
    Aug 8, 2006
    This game is one of the best on the ds, the problem is, once you beat it, there's nothing left do do, which makes you sad.
  14. EMonkey
    Feb 24, 2007
    New Super Mario Bro's is by far one of or THE best nintendo game, it is fun, addictive and challenging. Although some levels are trickier than others they certainly aren't head bangingly difficult. Indeed, on every level it is a little hard at first but then you realize the way to do it! "Ooooh! I get it, cool!" Tip: try to get all of the star coins, otherwise, you cannot get New Super Mario Bro's is by far one of or THE best nintendo game, it is fun, addictive and challenging. Although some levels are trickier than others they certainly aren't head bangingly difficult. Indeed, on every level it is a little hard at first but then you realize the way to do it! "Ooooh! I get it, cool!" Tip: try to get all of the star coins, otherwise, you cannot get onto world four and world seven! Definitely worth your money and it also has some really cool minigames, a Mario vs Luigi for your friend without a gamecard and of course a wi-fi gaming option for someone with a gamecard as well. Buy it. now. Go on please. Expand
  15. AnonymousMC
    May 20, 2006
    Right now there are two seperate old school platformers out there. One is sonic rush, the other is New Super Mario Bros. I'm not a nintendo fanboy. I really like sonic games, but there's a huge difference between these two games. Sonic Rush simply gives us about twenty levels of more of the same. Rush is short and has nothing new to it. New super mario bros on the other handRight now there are two seperate old school platformers out there. One is sonic rush, the other is New Super Mario Bros. I'm not a nintendo fanboy. I really like sonic games, but there's a huge difference between these two games. Sonic Rush simply gives us about twenty levels of more of the same. Rush is short and has nothing new to it. New super mario bros on the other hand successfully takes us back to the oldschool mario days while simultaniously adding tons of new , obsticles, power ups, and moves to the 2-D mario mix. The game consists of about 80 courses (much more levels than sonic rush) These additions work extrememly well with the oldschool mario world. Mario gets a few moves from super mario 64. You can wall jump, butt stomp, and do triple jumps. These new moves make mario as agile as he's ever been in a 2-D game. Then there's the new power ups. There's the Giant Mushroom power up (which is rare and hard to get) which allows you to grow to ten times your original size and for a short time obliterate the level. The shell power up puts a turtle shell on mario's back, and after a quick run you're bouncing around like a stray turtle shell. This power up is a bit unwieldly but once mastered it can be even more powerful than the classic fireball power up. The mini-shroom power up shrinks mario down to miniscule size allowing you to access different game areas, as well as allowing you to jump higher and walk on water. The bad thing about the mini-shroom is you die in one hit, and you must butt-stomp opponents in order to do damage. Some of the new obsticles are mushrooms that tilt sideways as you walk on them, platforms that toss you up into the air like a helecopter, pipes that shoot you out like a cannon, and puzzlles that require you to wall jump or have one of the new power ups in the game. There's more than one path in the game. You can unlock alternate paths by using star cions (simular to the yoshi coins from Super Mario World). Overall New Super Mario Bros. successfully mixes oldschool mario with newschool ideas to make the best mario game in a long long time. The only thing the game is missing is Yoshi. Expand
  16. AnonymousMC
    May 28, 2006
    Great game, really fun, a bit on the short side but that may be because one feels compelled to just keep playing. DS-centric gameplay is kept at a minimum to keep the classic mario feel. Power ups are kind of weak, fire power is still the all around best you can get, turtle outfit is useless outside of swimming stages, and giant mushroom is only usefull on certain stages. Still a totallyGreat game, really fun, a bit on the short side but that may be because one feels compelled to just keep playing. DS-centric gameplay is kept at a minimum to keep the classic mario feel. Power ups are kind of weak, fire power is still the all around best you can get, turtle outfit is useless outside of swimming stages, and giant mushroom is only usefull on certain stages. Still a totally awesome game and very easy to recomend for purchase with excellent replay value, and plenty of side distractions. I just wish it lasted longer! Expand
  17. AnonymousMC
    May 28, 2006
    By far one of the best playing platformers ever. This game has pretty much all you ever loved about the Mario franchise, plus way better looking visuals. New Power-Ups, new challenges to some of the Mario style levels, and just a plain old-fashioned gaming good time. Hands down my favorite Mario game since "3"!
  18. AnonymousMC
    Jun 28, 2006
    a true mario sidescroller that is hard to stop! while the gameplay is the best of any game i've played on the ds so far, the length isn't as great, but the game boasts a huge replay value and the star coins add a reason to redo levels. i was not let down by this game.
  19. AnonymousMC
    Jul 5, 2006
    Why the world fell in love with two plumbers who's specialty is jumping on enemies in a place called Mushroom Kingdom, i'll never know. But I fell in love too. Now their back and better than ever. This game is one of the funnest and most addicting games i've ever played. This game brings joy to my heart like no other game.
    Feb 8, 2007
    I love the Mario Bros series and always will but this game was a just a bit too easy. Apart from that, its a great game with lots of cool bonuses like the rec room.
  21. JonathanF.
    Jul 3, 2008
    This game is really fun. From the opening movie, through the first levels, it's very entertaining and exciting. It gets a bit tough in the later worlds, but it's a good challenge. I think I'm going to go play right now!
  22. AnonymousMC
    Oct 5, 2009
    great game -over 50 levels and cool minigames everything from card poker to catapults it starts fast at the begining then slows down as the levels get harder.i have ben stuck on the last level of the game for a month.(other levels dont take that long)It definitely deserves a ten.
  23. SaraC.
    Dec 25, 2006
    I just love this game, I could play it over and over for hours.
  24. AnonymousMC
    Apr 22, 2006
    this game will be a perfect 10. i will bet my entire videogame collection on it ! my most wanted game of 2006. this will hit the million mark sooner than you think. takes everything from all the smb games and combines with new enemies, moves, and levels ... come on, that will be a instant classic! now lets do the same thing for castlevania series!
  25. AnonymousMC
    May 18, 2006
    Honestly stunned at how much folks are overrating this title. Not that it's not enjoyable (it is!) but i'd be lying if i didn't say that i think i may have been expecting..... a bit more? A misconception that alot of folks seem to be making (myself included) is that this is a continuation of the Mario 2D platforming series. It isn't. It's more of a reimaginingHonestly stunned at how much folks are overrating this title. Not that it's not enjoyable (it is!) but i'd be lying if i didn't say that i think i may have been expecting..... a bit more? A misconception that alot of folks seem to be making (myself included) is that this is a continuation of the Mario 2D platforming series. It isn't. It's more of a reimagining of the original Super Mario. Bros. game for the NES. Don't go in looking for a Racoon tail or a Hammer Bros. Suit. No warp whistles or Wario-appearances here! Once I adjusted to that slight disappointment, I was able to enjoy the game for what it is: kind of a "Super Mario. Bros: SPECIAL EDITION". And there is some replay value in attempting to collect all the coins and unlock all worlds/paths on the map. Fun game to be sure, but not the classic that alot of it's champions will proclaim. Simply more of a revisitation of past glories. Expand
  26. AnonymousMC
    May 21, 2006
    you cud call this game super marios brother 4, it has many simerlarities to super marios bro 3 but implyments elaments from super marios world & mario64. it is debatabel howevar if it is bettar then this games but its' defantly wrth a purchese becourse their has not been good plateformers like this for a long long tyme.
  27. AnonymousMC
    May 20, 2006
    Not to fawn or be a slobbering fanboy, but this is absolutely perfect and the best DS release yet. No matter how much time you've logged with the Mario side-scrollers, you can't help but immediately love this translation of the 1985 masterpiece Super Mario Brothers (regularly voted as the greatest video game of all time, and with good reason).

With this release, Mario Kart

With this release, Mario Kart gets bumped to second-best all-time DS cart and NSMB takes the top slot. With the DS Lite next month in North America and the Wii by Xmas, it's never been a better time to be a gamer. This cart is at the top of the DS heap - only thing missing is rumble support, as was found in the Princess Peach cart. Based on this, I can't wait for the Yoshi's Island DS release!
  28. AnonymousMC
    Jun 13, 2006
    This game is just as great as the original and I love the fact that you can play multiplayer. I also really like all the new power-ups (especially the giant mushroom!). The only problem I have is that it comes up short. I beat the game in less than a month. I would just like it if they had 9 or 10 worlds instead of 8. That's all.
  29. AnonymousMC
    Jun 15, 2006
    60%? Has anyone even heard of VGPub? The amount of typos, punctuation errors, and grammatical inconsistencies leads me to believe that the article was written by a 12-year old. Is this a standard Metacritic wishes to hold?

The point is that this game is not worse than 60% of the games out there. I know that. You know that. Your grandmother knows that. I wouldn't put this in the same league as SMB3 or SMW, it's still head-and-shoulders above any other DS platformer.
  30. AnonymousMC
    Jul 18, 2006
    this great game has so many extras and it actually involves Luigi which offers a great variety not that this game needs it. it will leave you months of addictive and brilliant levels and challenging bosses. this will give you even longer game play with all of the minigames on offer. an all round good game that is better than the original which was impossible until now!
  31. AnonymousMC
    Jul 4, 2006
    I have spent the last 10 years thinking that mario games were for kids only. What a moron i am. The is a REALLY great game. The single player is very addictive with a nice learning curve. I'm only on world 2 at the moment and i know the game will last me ages. However the real gem for me are the minigames which are AMAZING, really AMAZING. whether it be playing poker against Luigi orI have spent the last 10 years thinking that mario games were for kids only. What a moron i am. The is a REALLY great game. The single player is very addictive with a nice learning curve. I'm only on world 2 at the moment and i know the game will last me ages. However the real gem for me are the minigames which are AMAZING, really AMAZING. whether it be playing poker against Luigi or drawing trampolines using the stylus to save Mario the minigames are really first rate and worth the purchase price alone. Sorry this review is brief but i have to make up 10 years of non mario time :) Expand
  32. GloriaN.
    Aug 5, 2006
    I love new super mario bros.! there is only on thing i hate... the last world level 8 on the last parts it keeps doing the same thing... over and over again! i get very frustrated! all besides that the games is very good. for my birthday I hope I get alot of mario and luigi games. I really want mario and luigi partners in time! so to shorten things up let me just say.
  33. Patrick
    Sep 23, 2006
    A great game, but far too short. After finding all the secrets, the minigames are the most entertaining things there.
  34. TimS.
    Dec 8, 2007
    This is a great game, its only too easy and too short. but the mini games and other features compensate for it.
  35. ShereeC.
    Feb 28, 2007
    Fantastic game. Each level seems to contain a different enemy so you'll never get bored of the same one. The different power ups are great fun too. Loads and loads of mini-games too.
  36. JerreyR.
    May 26, 2007
    Too easy. And that is the only negitive thing I can say about the entire game.
  37. MarkusE.
    Sep 23, 2007
    Not only is NSMB the longest 2D Mario game to date, with 80 full length levels as opposed to SMW's 72, or SMB3's 90 but inflated by 10-second levels like hand trips, Hammer Bros., etc., it also features the best level design, the funnest gameplay, the best graphics, and provides the most challenge when it comes to time attacks. And it's portable.
  38. ElliottW
    Dec 2, 2008
    A very good game. Perfect platforming. But, it's very short, which is a letdown. The multiplayer is awesome! I play it with my brother a lot. I'm usually the one who has to be luigi, though.
  39. TheKing
    Aug 20, 2008
    It's a great game. Good controls, minigames, and a fun experience. The only problems are many of the levels are rehashes of previous levels, no Wifi {which would've been great in 2 player}, and it's short. You can probably beat it in a few hours, while getting every stage and secret takes about 7-10 hours.
  40. Jessica
    Sep 9, 2008
    As the last game I played constantly before I bought my DS, this game truly made me one of the happiest people, period. It reminded me that games could be interesting. The story remains the same, save Princess Peach from Bowser and Bowser Jr. Nintendo seems to make fun of itself by sending you through about 20 castles to eventually save her and at the end of the credits, hint at a new As the last game I played constantly before I bought my DS, this game truly made me one of the happiest people, period. It reminded me that games could be interesting. The story remains the same, save Princess Peach from Bowser and Bowser Jr. Nintendo seems to make fun of itself by sending you through about 20 castles to eventually save her and at the end of the credits, hint at a new game. Nintendo adds Star Coins which unlock special items, extra lives and eventually new skins for the menu screen. Overall, amazing game! Expand
  41. AnonymousMC
    May 19, 2006
    I bought this the day it was released and have gotten around half way through it. It's definitely one of the better games for the DS, if not definitively the best. The levels are designed well (though on the short side) and the graphics are excellent.

People have been complaining about the overall length of the game, though I feel it offers good replay value. There are 8 worlds in total, 2 of which you need to actively seek out to get to. In other words, you can beat the game without ever visiting 2 of the worlds.
    Definitely a must buy.
  42. AnonymousMC
    Jun 12, 2006
    New Super Mario Bros. is, in fact, a redesign, or more fittingly, a sequel of the original Super Mario Bros. game for NES. The game's core gameplay comes directly from the original, and while the graphics have been brought into the 3D age and tons of new things have been added, the heart of this game is still in the original. This is the first side-scrolling adventure Mario'sNew Super Mario Bros. is, in fact, a redesign, or more fittingly, a sequel of the original Super Mario Bros. game for NES. The game's core gameplay comes directly from the original, and while the graphics have been brought into the 3D age and tons of new things have been added, the heart of this game is still in the original. This is the first side-scrolling adventure Mario's starred in since before his 3D debut in Super Mario 64, and 10 years is way too long to wait folks. Sure, it may not have quite longevity of Castlevania or Brain Age, or the replay value of Metroid Prime Hunters or Jump SuperStars, but for as awesome as all those games are, Mario just has a fun factor like no other, period. Expand
  43. BillyB.
    Aug 26, 2006
    I was happy with the new techniques you can do.
  44. PalomaL.
    Nov 25, 2007
    New Super Mario Bros. is really fun because you you go past levels and collect star coins and you can spend them on things that will help you on the way. HINT: When your at the menu when you chose what file you want to go on if press L and R down then click on the file you can be Luigi.
  45. TracyC.
    Mar 28, 2007
    This is the best game on the DS. Advance Wars DS is great, Dragon Quest Rocket Slime is awesome as well but New Super Mario Bros. plays wonderfully, looks incredible, sounds incredible. The nailed it.
  46. WilliamT
    Dec 1, 2008
    It's charming, funny, intense yet relaxing, colorful, bright and a heck of a lot of fun playing against a friend. In short, an essential game for any sort of Mario fan or Nintendo DS owner.
  47. WillyJ.
    Nov 21, 2006
    A really great game with loads of good levels and fantastic minigames to play with multyplayer.
  48. CameronT.
    Nov 26, 2007
    This game inspires me because it gives me choices and really cool moves to defeat enemies.
  49. DJT
    Dec 15, 2007
    Another great nintendo DS game! An instant classic for this system. Old school action. Great looking levels. Easy to pick up and play. Lots of bonus stuff to keep you coming back to unlock. A lot here for every DS fan!
  50. andrewl
    Dec 25, 2008
    This is my favourate game of all time and iw ill neve stop playing i have completed it got all the stars on all the worlds and i'm still not bored. With most games i get bored after i complete them such as mario kart adn sonic rush. Best game ever.
  51. RoverT
    Dec 27, 2008
    A very fun game. The Mario games never get old and this is a good example. Each level is unique, and there are extras in the game that keep you playing until your completely done such as secret worlds 4 and 7, alternate routes in almost every level, and hidden coins that add some excitement. The designers did a good job of making each level's difficulty just above the players ability A very fun game. The Mario games never get old and this is a good example. Each level is unique, and there are extras in the game that keep you playing until your completely done such as secret worlds 4 and 7, alternate routes in almost every level, and hidden coins that add some excitement. The designers did a good job of making each level's difficulty just above the players ability level, allowing room for improvement. The game is also very long (definitly not a "buy it, finish it in a day, sell it" game). Expand
  52. Nov 11, 2010
    One of the best games on the DS, and an incredibly rewarding experience. New Super Mario Bros. takes what was originally great about the NES and SNES games and, well, makes it NEW. This means that while it plays like an old-school game, it still feels fresh enough to stand up to more modern types of gameplay.
  53. Nov 30, 2010
    New Super Mario Bros. DS is a brilliant and enjoyable platformer. Although, the game play is similar to previous side-scrolling Mario games; you go through 8 worlds and try to get to the end of each level without dying, there's a few new additions like new power ups and new moves that Mario can perform like the stomp or wall kick. New powerups include the mega mushroom, the mini mushroomNew Super Mario Bros. DS is a brilliant and enjoyable platformer. Although, the game play is similar to previous side-scrolling Mario games; you go through 8 worlds and try to get to the end of each level without dying, there's a few new additions like new power ups and new moves that Mario can perform like the stomp or wall kick. New powerups include the mega mushroom, the mini mushroom and shell suit which can be interestingly used to get to hidden areas to find hidden exits or help you clear a level easier. The bosses are great to fight but a tad too easy with some obvious attack patterns. There's a sense of nostalgia when playing this game because this plays similar to the original Super Mario Bros. and has some of the memorable enemies like the Koopa Troopa's and Goomba's which have been given a graphical make over thanks to the Nintendo's DS's more powerful hardware. Even the simple story is similar to Super Mario Bros. but now Bowser Jr has captured Princess Peach and taken her to his castle. The graphics are very nice and the backgrounds are nicely rendered and despite the game play being a bit too simple, there's a great deal of fun to be had and 8 worlds with different themes to complete. The music is brilliant and some of the composed music are remixes of previous Mario game themes such as the Underground theme in Super Mario Bros. What's annoying is that if you want to find a hidden exit in a level and you need a powerup like the shell suit to break blocks which are in your way or a mini mushroom to squeeze through a pipe, you need to get the power up from either normal game play or one from a toad house. Depending on what power up is added to your reserve inventory, depends if you can headbutt the block that contains a random generating item at the right time (basically its like a slot machine and you have to hit the block to stop it on a random item which then is added to your reserve inventory for use later). Hitting this block at the right time is a bummer so you get the item you need and can lead to you leaving the toads house, coming back in and trying again. Despite this little criticism, all the game play enhancements along with sharp graphics and catchy music, Super Mario Bros. DS is a lovely platformer and basically enhances the original Super Mario Bros., with a few tweaks and showcases it to a new platform and generation. Expand
  54. Oct 7, 2010
    Amazing. Super mario bros.on DS. Best DS game of all DS games. I may have sold it two years after i bought it which makes sense to me, but I had a great time with it.
  55. Oct 30, 2011
    The Legacy of great 2D Mario platformers of the 80s and 90s lives on through New Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo DS. All of Mario's classic moves and power ups are back as well as more modern moves and unique new power ups to mix things up. The Game consists of a large variety of levels with some that pay tribute to the games of the past as well as others that capitalize on new uniqueThe Legacy of great 2D Mario platformers of the 80s and 90s lives on through New Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo DS. All of Mario's classic moves and power ups are back as well as more modern moves and unique new power ups to mix things up. The Game consists of a large variety of levels with some that pay tribute to the games of the past as well as others that capitalize on new unique concepts within the game. The music is fun and rather enjoyable to listen to while the sound effects for the most part consist of the same set of pre-recorded stock sound effects used in other Mario releases but fit in perfectly fine. The difficulty curve within the game is balanced so that it can satisfy the needs of both beginners and experts well at the same time. Bonus content within the game consists of an alternate playable character and special game modes can be accessed by inputing a code, in-game wallpapers and infinite-use Toad houses to access power ups that need to be unlocked, A multiplayer Mario vs Luigi mode and a Mini-game mode for both single player and multiplayer through wireless that can be access from the main menu at any time. For fans of the classic Mario 2D platforming games or newcomers curious to see what Mario is all about should consider taking a look at this game if they want a fun portable Mario adventure on the go, it is well worth the price you pay. Expand
  56. Dec 31, 2010
    It's probably to me the only game with levels that is still fun after you finish it.
  57. Jan 8, 2011
    New Super Mario Bros DS is compelling, with many great multiplayer features including compelling minigames. The characters and enemies are all original, and this is a great improvement on the Original Mario Bros. The story mode may be lacking, but the overall concept of the game is top class!
  58. Feb 25, 2011
    Great game, got it for Christmas after receiving the Wii version last year. Have to say that it is much easier to control than the Wii version, but I have to say that I didn't find this much of a challenge as I have already completed it and collected all the power stars, on all three of my save files. Meanwhile I still fail to jump over Super Bowsers fireballs in the last level of Wii.
  59. Jul 23, 2011
    Overall is the same Mario that we all know, crafted with better graphics and few contents. The "NEW" word , obviously adds a better anticipation, since, it was necessary for this classic. New Super Mario Bros. is an instant game that definitely needs to be in your DS library. The addition of Multiplayer was unexpected worthy indeed. Now let's lift our hands to the air and whine forOverall is the same Mario that we all know, crafted with better graphics and few contents. The "NEW" word , obviously adds a better anticipation, since, it was necessary for this classic. New Super Mario Bros. is an instant game that definitely needs to be in your DS library. The addition of Multiplayer was unexpected worthy indeed. Now let's lift our hands to the air and whine for Nintendo to make more remakes like this. Expand
  60. May 26, 2011
    The classic platforming is great and all, but what REALLY stands out is the multiplayer. I remember my sister screaming when i came at here with a Mega Mushroom.
  61. Jun 18, 2014
    Although reaching shy of Super Mario World's plenitude in 1990, New Super Mario Bros is a worthy and uncomplicated renewal to side scrolling Mario. Acrobatics and creativity are rewarded, though challenges late in the game tend to be cryptic or trial-based in nature.
  62. Jun 4, 2013
    It is a good game, perhaps one of the best in the DS console, or even one of the best videogames ever made. And no, it is not a remake of the original game, it is a totally new game.
  63. Nov 7, 2011
    It is an easy game but it has addicting gameplay. It reminds me a lot of the older side-scrolling Mario games but somehow this game is unique from some of the others. It is one of the best Nintendo DS games.
  64. May 19, 2015
    One of the best Super Mario Bros games. There is enough challenge across a large number of levels to keep you going for some time, and the addition of 3 big coins hidden in each stage gives replayability. The music is integral to the experience, with enemies dancing to the beat before you bop them on the head. It ALMOST feels cruel to end them as they enjoy their walk in the sun.One of the best Super Mario Bros games. There is enough challenge across a large number of levels to keep you going for some time, and the addition of 3 big coins hidden in each stage gives replayability. The music is integral to the experience, with enemies dancing to the beat before you bop them on the head. It ALMOST feels cruel to end them as they enjoy their walk in the sun. Graphics are nice, with an almost 2.5D effect with 3D character models on a 2D playing field.

Essential.
  65. Feb 16, 2012
    The single-player mode is the most challenging I have ever played in a Mario game, and the wireless multiplayer works well, too. Definitely one of the best DS games I have ever played.
  66. May 21, 2012
    The Mario series hasn't seen a 2D platformer since 1991. We had great 3D games and a couple of GBA remakes ( if you lived in the 1995-2005 era) Those were good and they were fine. But we wanted a 2D platformer on nintendo's new "two headed gameboy".

Pros: Fun 2D platformer. 2-player star battle is really fun (I always win!!) New minigames New power-ups (Mega mushroom, mini

Pros:
    Fun 2D platformer.
    2-player star battle is really fun (I always win!!)
    New minigames
    New power-ups (Mega mushroom, mini mushroom,Koopa shell ftw.)
    Fun and jumpy music (BAH BAH!)

Cons:
    Recycled minigames from Super Mario 64 DS
    Lack of (new) creative enimies that aren't similar to past ones.
  67. Jun 6, 2012
    A Amazing Game! So Much Fun! :)
  68. Sep 20, 2012
    (Translate from Portuguese into English)Melhor jogo do DS,jogos do Mario deveriam ser todos assim,não aqueles caça-níqueis de baixa qualidade que a Nintendo lança direto,um dos melhores jogos plataformas já feitos para um portátil.Nota 95/100
  69. Feb 18, 2013
    A great throw back to the classic 2D series, New Super Mario Bros. puts a 2.5D spin on the original formula, and does a great job. Simple gameplay, great level design, good graphics, awesome music, and the same great level design youd find in the classics. This is an awesome game to either start off your mario experience with, or to reminisce on classic days. only problem with this game,A great throw back to the classic 2D series, New Super Mario Bros. puts a 2.5D spin on the original formula, and does a great job. Simple gameplay, great level design, good graphics, awesome music, and the same great level design youd find in the classics. This is an awesome game to either start off your mario experience with, or to reminisce on classic days. only problem with this game, its not overly long, and not very difficult. regardless of this, it is still a great game, that any DS gamer should own. Expand
  70. Oct 2, 2012
    THE BEST GAME IN THE WORLD. READ THE REVIEW HERE, TODAY!!
    Super Mario bros has started a new revolution; you can now play it on the Wii! Super Mario is a structured game and in the end you have to save the princess (Mario
  71. Aug 4, 2013
    One of the reasons I bought my DS.

A return to 2D Mario in great style. All the fun platforming and power-ups you would expect.

The multiplayer is surprisingly fun as well.

If you have a DS, you owe it yourself to get this game.

10 out of 10.
  72. Sep 16, 2013
    New Super Mario Bros is a fan game. it is my best game of all DS games.I have played this game 7 years ago.
    The Good.
    Wonderful originality. Unique stages. Perfect Control. Revival of 2D Mario. Mini Games are fantastic. The Bad. There is not a stage after the clear. The general comment. All things considered, it is an undeniable masterpiece. Game play 9.5/10. Graphics 7.5/10.
    The Good.
    Wonderful originality.
    Unique stages.
    Perfect Control.
    Revival of 2D Mario.
    Mini Games are fantastic.
    The Bad.
    There is not a stage after the clear.
    The general comment.
    All things considered, it is an undeniable masterpiece.
    Game play 9.5/10.
    Graphics 7.5/10.
    Sound 8.5/10.
    Value 9.7/10.
    Over All 9/10.
  73. Dec 19, 2013
    this game is one of those games that just destroy every other single game out there. the ds has awful graphics but this games looks like a 2010 game not great but who cares when you have so much fun with it me and my friends have put so many hours in this game i know its old but its that much fun
  74. Dec 22, 2013
    SUPER FUN GAME TO PLAY! Everything is GREAT and awesome. The difficulty level is just a bit too easy. Wish I could give a 9.7/10, but have to stick with 9!
  75. Oct 24, 2014
    I LOVE THIS GAME IT MADE MY LIFE 10 TIMES BETTER AND MADE MY CHILDHOOD I WILL NEVER FORGET THIS GAME NINTENDOROCKS this game had everything the best level design, the best music, even the times when I got really mad and threw my DS around I still love this game soooo much. In all seriousness, it is a true classic that would be hard to match.
  76. Apr 2, 2014
    I like the idea of this game. A new game in the Mario franchise that takes the classic side scrolling action from classic Mario games like the Super Mario Bros. trilogy and Super Mario World and modernizes it. Of course playing this on a handheld is very appropriate because it's simple enough for it, but it is good playing games like this while you are out and about. I also like theI like the idea of this game. A new game in the Mario franchise that takes the classic side scrolling action from classic Mario games like the Super Mario Bros. trilogy and Super Mario World and modernizes it. Of course playing this on a handheld is very appropriate because it's simple enough for it, but it is good playing games like this while you are out and about. I also like the online, it can be fun playing mini-games and Mario Vs. Luigi with my sister. The only problem I have with this game is that it may not be quite as challenging or creative as the older Mario games, but it's still good fun. It may also not have all the bells and whistles that the later games are, but at least this game didn't feel like it was copying too much of past games, unlike later NSMB games. Overall New Super Mario Bros. is great on the Nintendo DS and I would also recommend it. Expand
  77. Jul 30, 2015
    A classic masterpiece so creative and entertaining that even my mom loves it playing. Unfortunately my Nintendo is broken and I can't play it, but if you want a fun game, this is the one! Have fun!
  78. Jul 28, 2014
    The best platformer on the DS, New Super Mario Bros., the predecessor to New. Super Mario Bros wii, is a delight to play, is more challenging, and has greater replay value. This is one of the few Mario titles I have started and not completed, world 8 is so tricky. There are many shortcuts and hidden paths to find that will aid you on your journey to rescue Princess "Peach" Toadstool. IfThe best platformer on the DS, New Super Mario Bros., the predecessor to New. Super Mario Bros wii, is a delight to play, is more challenging, and has greater replay value. This is one of the few Mario titles I have started and not completed, world 8 is so tricky. There are many shortcuts and hidden paths to find that will aid you on your journey to rescue Princess "Peach" Toadstool. If you like platformers, get this game. Expand
  79. May 22, 2015
    A great 2D platform game, really fun, and revive the old games of the Super Mario series, the game has practically no story, as almost all the games of Mario, but the positive point, certainly goes to aa fun, and the soundtrack, which is spectacular.
  80. Sep 29, 2014
    This game was refreshing back when it first came out. It was the first 2D mario game in years. The visuals and music were fun. The gameplay was solid and there was a lot to do. Also, the powerups and boss battles were original and creative. This was the only New Super Mario bros game that was, ya know, actually "new".
  81. Nov 11, 2014
    This game is really easy to be honest but like it's really fun to speed run. A great return towards 2d platforming for Mario and the start to a very successful yet somewhat repetitive series.
  82. Nov 18, 2014
    You probably already know the plot, no explanation is necessary! This is an awesome 2D platformer where you can grow gigantic and smash flag poles! I thought it was crazy fun when I grabbed the Mega Mushroom for the first time and grew BIG! If you hold the L and R controls at the same time you can play as Luigi on your save file. You can even turn into a Koopa and shrink to a superYou probably already know the plot, no explanation is necessary! This is an awesome 2D platformer where you can grow gigantic and smash flag poles! I thought it was crazy fun when I grabbed the Mega Mushroom for the first time and grew BIG! If you hold the L and R controls at the same time you can play as Luigi on your save file. You can even turn into a Koopa and shrink to a super tiny size! If you hold the L and R controls at the same time on a beginning page you see the beginning cut scene with Luigi instead of Mario! Expand
  83. Mar 23, 2015
    The best DS game ever made!!!! It's really simple, that's what makes it nice. The music is fairly catchy, the gameplay is fairly simple, and the best thing? No problems playing it at all!
  84. Apr 8, 2015
    This game is a classic! Mainly because it is so welcoming to newcomers who are interested into the Mario franchise. Despite being a little mixed by noob and intermediate. New Super M Bros is an easy to complete game and should be played either when you are at home holding your 3DS (maybe DS) or if you are waiting inside a building. New Bros is a great mix between casual and hardcore!This game is a classic! Mainly because it is so welcoming to newcomers who are interested into the Mario franchise. Despite being a little mixed by noob and intermediate. New Super M Bros is an easy to complete game and should be played either when you are at home holding your 3DS (maybe DS) or if you are waiting inside a building. New Bros is a great mix between casual and hardcore!

"Groovy is still in!" Brandonthegamer
  85. May 30, 2015
    the game is excellent, its graphics are good, their worlds are varied, both as multiplayer battles and mini-games are addictive.
    In conclusion it is a game you can not miss if you have a DS
  86. Jul 7, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is my most favourite Mario game on the Nintendo DS.
    It has lots of well thought out levels and mechanisms.
    I love how it is made to be like the original NES game, yet on a more up to date, colourful note.
    I love the items. My favourite is the blue shell, where if you dash, you can plow through enemies and obstacles. I would criticise that it is the hardest one to get, and that they have abandoned it in later NSMB games.
    The world's and levels are great, too. There is a lot of variety.
    I think it is clever how world's 4 and 7 are made to be secret, and as a kid, I always used to wonder how I would get there, asking all my pals at school who had the game, annoying the crap out them.

The star coins are great to, and add an extra objective to the game.

Overall, I love this game, and it is one of the best Mario games ever.

87. Aug 24, 2015
    This game is fantastic! The music is catchy. The graphics are okay but I don't care, this game is fun to play and is so awesome! The levels are creative. This was my first DS game and I have loved it ever since. I mean, this game is great. I love it! The worlds have awesome levels and are fun to complete. It is just so fun. Play it! The levels are so good.

Before New Super Mario Bros. entered my life, "Yoshi's Island" was, to me, the greatest platformer ever created. That title may now have to go to New Super Mario Bros.
  2. The kind of game that makes hardcore Nintendo fans get on their knees and weep in sheer joy over the eighty new levels of new 2D Mario action...The visuals come in scorching hot, with gorgeous 3D bringing the old school into a new school setting. Sprinkle in some minigames and multiplayer modes, and you have a system seller.
  3. While it lasts, it’s some of the best platforming to date and features what I consider to be the best Nintendo DS graphics to date. While it’s a shame the new power-ups are frills and the length of the main game is ridiculously short, it’s hard not to recommend it.