• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Mar 10, 2011
7.9

1. Jan 8, 2014
    The only thing this game has going for it is that Chibiterasu is heart-meltingly cute. I mean it, everything he does is just adorable, from his nubby puppy legs to his movements. Other than that, it seems Capcom did everything in their power to ruin the masterpiece that was the first Okami.

Not only is the story constantly contradicting plot elements established in the first game, it's riddled with holes and focuses on some of the most annoying characters I've ever come across in a game (yes, even more than Ashley from RE5). Lucky for you, they spend a good chunk of the game riding on your back. Fun.

The battle system is lackluster, there is no way to control the camera angle and considering how well the stylus could have worked with the brush mechanic, it falls woefully short of its full potential. To boot, there is only one new town and three new dungeons in the entire game. The collection sidequest is sloppy, as there are dozens of hidden items that, once you leave that particular dungeon, are never able to be accessed again.

The rest of the scenery and music is lifted directly from the first game. This sounds good until you realize that all of the colorful cast and side quests you had encountered in the first game are nowhere to be seen. Considering only nine months have passed, it feels like a slap in the face to learn that most of the people you expected to see were lazily explained away as simply being "gone", or in some cases, dead.

As a result, the game is painfully short and insultingly shallow, with absolutely nothing new to offer for fans of the original. I recommend skipping this one entirely.
  2. Nov 4, 2013
    The Good: Presentation is a technical achievement; cute, lovely characters

The Bad: Dragging; uneven difficulty; shallow Built upon the lore of the cult Action-RPG Okami (PS2, Wii), Okamiden develops the original's story from the point it was left in the first title while trying to appeal to a broader audience by introducing Amaterasu's son--a cute puppy called Chibiterasu--in the
    The Good: Presentation is a technical achievement; cute, lovely characters

The Bad: Dragging; uneven difficulty; shallow

Built upon the lore of the cult Action-RPG Okami (PS2, Wii), Okamiden develops the original's story from the point it was left in the first title while trying to appeal to a broader audience by introducing Amaterasu's son--a cute puppy called Chibiterasu--in the leading role for this sequel.

From a technical standpoint--which seemed to be what worried Okami fans most in a portable cramming--there's nothing to yell at. Nippon still looks gorgeous and even the sometimes oversized pixels make it for a crisp, beautiful presentation. The same can be said about the expanded soundtrack, which sounds as epic as ever.

But unfortunately when it comes to content Okamiden fails to capture the grandeur of the original installment.

The game takes you by the hand in so many ways that' it's hard not to state it was dumbed down. Predictable puzzles, prayers evolving your powers automatically, the very combat... Even the poor (or lazy?) decision of making it controlled by the D-Pad (instead of a more intuitive touch-only scheme like in the DS Zeldas) produces another step down: the camera compelling you to where you should go next.

Chibi partnering a variety of companions throughout the adventure does help to freshen the experience and show the intended protagonist's fragility, but in the long run much of the plot and dialogue is plain dragging for the sake of it. What would be an otherwise charming cast of characters can grow annoying and tiring after some time.

That aforementioned overall mood/pace twist could have made it for a perfect kids-friendly first RPG... But the overly complex boss battles create difficulty spikes that can get in the way and turn beginners down.

Okamiden would fare better if it was conceived as a spin-off, or at least as a more compact title. As a main entry with the responsibility to carry the name on it just feels expendable.
  3. Dec 24, 2012
    Okamiden is everything a sequel should be, it was unfortunate that the release of Pokemon Black/White and the 3DS overshadowed it cause its well worth looking into if you enjoyed the first in the series.

The gameplay is identical to the first game. It mixes it up by adding a few new powers, and a companion system that allows you to control a second character using the stylus. This is very similar to Zelda: Spirit Tracks system, And allows for dungeons to be designed differently than they were in the original.

Due to the limited power of the Nintendo DS, the graphics have been reduced significantly. Maps are far simpler and with less elements on screen. The paintbrush style is back from the first game and is still charming and elegant.
  4. Jun 20, 2012
    although Okamiden is shorter and less crisp than his console cousin. the gameplay works very well specially now that the stylus is better for paintbrush techniques and the charm of the original remains
  5. Dec 29, 2011
    A worthy successor to its family line. Okamiden is just shear fun. Fun. Fun. Fun. Fun. I can't say anything wrong about it other than it hits its target market of younger players on the DS as well as some older players. Could have come up with a better name than Mutt for the main character, but it is a good reason to keep your DS.
  6. Nov 28, 2011
    Okamiden is the best adventure game for the DS. With a deep history, worthy of being the successor to one of the best PS2 games, with a wide variety of enemies and bosses that you will speak and the original main character skills to destroy the enemies of hundreds of ways, Okamiden is a game for the lovers of the biggest adventure and Japanese mythology.
  7. Aug 30, 2011
    I loved Okami and Okamiden is an amazing sequel, which is made even more so considering it's on a hand held. I know a 10 score seems biased, but this really is a great game - it's got length, great graphics and art-style, a cool story, humorous writing and characters, and it's fun. Also, if you're needing a Zelda fix, then the Okami games are the perfect solution.
  8. Jul 17, 2011
    One of the best for the DS! The only downside is that a lot of the content is recycled so you will recognize it if you have played Okami before this.
  9. Jul 2, 2011
    Excellent game for the DS. Extensive content and overall a great game. The games content is glowing with Zelda influences which make the game easily to play and enjoy.
  10. Jun 27, 2011
    Okamiden is what it appears to be: Okami Jr. It's not quite as involved, evolved, detailed or just-plain good as the original Okami - but really, what game is? I did enjoy playing through it.
  11. Jun 8, 2011
    This game is awesome.i did'nt play the previous game but this is awesome.my father recommended this game.he told me that its a game i'll really like so i got it and i played it all day long.some boss battles may a little hard but not so much.the story is really nice,the fact that you change partners is really nice.battles arent so hard its quite easy.and the ending is fantastic.its worth aThis game is awesome.i did'nt play the previous game but this is awesome.my father recommended this game.he told me that its a game i'll really like so i got it and i played it all day long.some boss battles may a little hard but not so much.the story is really nice,the fact that you change partners is really nice.battles arent so hard its quite easy.and the ending is fantastic.its worth a 10/10.and its definetly worth your time. Expand
  12. May 10, 2011
    I've played through Okami. It was a fantastic game from start to finish. But Okamiden is an Exceptional game overall, possibly one of the best action-RPGs ever.

I'm not going to spend too much time comparing games, but I will say this, being able to use the stylus as opposed to a Dual Shock 2 or a Wii-mote, makes this game so much more accessible. As you can imagine, the use of the 'celestial brush' is the center of this game. So naturally, being able to use the stylus on the bottom screen of the DS is great. Slashing through enemies, creating whirlwinds, Bombs, Firebursts, etc. make the action oriented combat of this game a blast. Okamiden is kinda like Ninja Gaiden DS, The World ends with you, and both of the Zelda DS titles, all wrapped into one game! If you liked any of those games, go buy Okamiden NOW! For a game on the DS, it's one of the top five, and most likely will make the top 25 on many GOTY lists for 2011

The only gripe I have with the game is actually my favorite part of the game, the stylus. Once in a while when you draw something, it does not register properly, so there's a few times where you'll get killed, so try to stay neat and "color in the lines!"

As for the graphics, they are outstanding as always. The Story is immersive and engaging, and will last you upwards of 40 hours. A definite buy, especially since it's MSRP is only 29.99 U.S. A fantastic game overall and a fine "swan song" for the Nintendo DS as we enter the 3DS era!
  13. Apr 22, 2011
    Beautiful. The normal fight scenes need some adjustments, but the boss battles are brilliant. It's inducing, a true successor to Okami. Great storyline, very very sad end. Ultimately, it's amazing!
  14. Mar 26, 2011
    I picked up Okamiden for two reasons. One, I enjoyed the first Okami a lot, and two, it is the last major DS game to be released before Nintendo's new system. I am glad I picked it up because this is a game that should not be missed. The graphics in Okamiden are excellent for the DS. The art style is beautiful and the cutscenes just look great. The music is also excellent, retaining theI picked up Okamiden for two reasons. One, I enjoyed the first Okami a lot, and two, it is the last major DS game to be released before Nintendo's new system. I am glad I picked it up because this is a game that should not be missed. The graphics in Okamiden are excellent for the DS. The art style is beautiful and the cutscenes just look great. The music is also excellent, retaining the Japanese music that truly brings the game to life. The story is arguably the best part in Okamiden. The characters you truly come to like throughout the story, and expect twist in the story before you finish. Be warned though, there are some tear jerking moments in the game. The combat system is relatively unchanged from the first game, except there is a big focus on partner combat. That seems to be a large overlying theme in Okamiden; stick with your partner. Chibiterasu is the new focus of the game, but that doesn't mean you will not encounter old familiar faces. In fact, I find this game more enjoyable if you played the first one. That doesn't mean if you never did you won't enjoy it, just not as much. The game uses the same areas mostly as the first one, so for some it may seem like a rehash of the first game. This is not entirely false, but that doesn't mean Okamiden isn't really enjoyable. I can see why Capcom wanted to put this on the DS. It just seems natural with the Celestial brush as the stylus, and it works really well. It didn't work 100%, but for the majority of the time it was spot on. Even though Nintendo's new system is here, that is no excuse for players to pass up Okamiden. Expand
  15. Mar 15, 2011
    I loved Okami, so Okamiden made me very happy. It is beautiful and cute and lots of fun. It's probably one of the best games on the DS so far, similar to the Zelda games in style. Would have given it 10 out of 10, but it's a bit short.

1. May 24, 2011
    It is a lovely Nintendo DS adventure with brilliant graphics and style. If you are looking for a new graphics and gameplay experience, you have to play this game.
  2. Apr 25, 2011
    It's tangible magic that you can feel with every stroke of the brush. [Issue#108, p.104]
  3. Apr 17, 2011
    Okamiden reveals itself as a great game and a very welcomed sequel. May be among the last games of the extensive list of the DS, but this does not dimish its quality. Even if the combat doesn't shine as much as the rest of the package, Okamiden is a masterpiece.