• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 10, 2009
7.8

1. Jun 1, 2013
    What can i say, i bought Phantasy Star Zero with the idea of getting a mini version of Phantasy Star: Online. What did i get was far more then i was expecting, Phantasy Star Zero is in many ways far more advanced then PSO. Classes are far more balanced and the action is more fluid then ever. The graphics and the music is just mindblowingly good for Nintendo DS, it looks equally good asWhat can i say, i bought Phantasy Star Zero with the idea of getting a mini version of Phantasy Star: Online. What did i get was far more then i was expecting, Phantasy Star Zero is in many ways far more advanced then PSO. Classes are far more balanced and the action is more fluid then ever. The graphics and the music is just mindblowingly good for Nintendo DS, it looks equally good as PSO. Also there are new weapon types, classes, features and very good story mode. To keep this short i just say this...BUY THIS GAME if you are a fan of Phantasy Star games. Also this game is great way to introduce yourself to Phantasy Star serie. Expand
  2. GatchamanE.
    Jan 30, 2010
    This is a great game! Sure the story isn't all that grabbing and the customization could be a little better. But the gameplay and the multiplayer makes this a very rewarding experience. If u have a DS, this is a must-own!
  3. bobs
    Nov 30, 2009
    Some of the negative reviews I have been reading about this game surprise me. The reason I say this is most of the complaints are based on them not liking the style of the game. (which lets face it is repetitive grinding, and character customization with friends). And while I can totally understand this type of gaming turning some people off, what I really don't understand is why Some of the negative reviews I have been reading about this game surprise me. The reason I say this is most of the complaints are based on them not liking the style of the game. (which lets face it is repetitive grinding, and character customization with friends). And while I can totally understand this type of gaming turning some people off, what I really don't understand is why THOSE people are reviewing the game? I mean shit you would have had to be living in cave to not know what type of game this is before reviewing it...and if you don't like those types of games you sure as shit shouldn't be reviewing it in the first place. Just like I would never review a football game for the same reason. Even if its the best football game ever made, I would still bitch about how bad it is to no end. IF you like the DC style PSO games, you will simply LOVE this game. If for the simple fact you get to play a game as robust as PSO on a portable gaming system like the DS (and being able to play with friends online might I add). For this reason alone it is honestly my favorite in the series right now. Having my grinding addiction with me at all times is simply amazing. There are downsides to this game for sure. The menu system could have really took advantage of some touch screen functionality, and also the online missions with "randoms" limits communications, and missions. But if you play this game using the "friends" mode..it is a blast, and honestly one of the best experiences I have ever had with my DS. Expand
  4. RobertoM
    Nov 17, 2009
    This game a lot of things from both PSO and PSU in order to make it work as well as it does. The strafing and Photon Arts (minus the tedious leveling of PSU), while using the best looting system in the series. Sadly there are no online lobbies even though you can play WIFi as well as system to system. Here's the final breakdown: Pros: 1.Mags are back (no need to explain if This game a lot of things from both PSO and PSU in order to make it work as well as it does. The strafing and Photon Arts (minus the tedious leveling of PSU), while using the best looting system in the series. Sadly there are no online lobbies even though you can play WIFi as well as system to system. Here's the final breakdown: Pros: 1.Mags are back (no need to explain if you're a fan of mags from PSO). 2. Photon Arts are better used in PSZ then in PSU. 3.Best drop system of the series. 4. Level cap of 100 (I found the level 200 cap of PSO to be too much). 5. A lot of replayability Cons: 1.Online needs some work. 2. Graphics are decent at best. 3. The DS really does need analog stick. 4. The CPU AI in story mode is not great but not the worst. Wish there could have been a deeper AI tactics system. Expand
  5. Seek
    Dec 12, 2009
    The negative reviews are mainly because the journalists need to cater to the general audience. However if you're a fan of PSO or other online dungeon crawler action RPGs that fit the Diablo mold you'll enjoy having this portable version at your side.
  6. CallumE
    Jan 12, 2010
    I wish The Onion review would be taken off. It ruins the metascore of a excellent game. It's story is a bit weak but the online mode makes up for this. Great for Phantasy Star fans and it's a nice game for newcomers to start with.
  7. DavidV
    Nov 17, 2009
    A must have for PSO veterans, and enjoyable for newcomers as well. The storyline in a bit on the weak side, but the fantastic online experience more than makes up for it. Grab a few friends and prepare for hours of fun.
  8. Jun 8, 2011
    this game has a nice storyline which is the only reason why i continued playing it.the battles aren't so hard only when its a boss battle.you can make 3 diffrent characters with diffrent races and with diffrent battle styles.and you have this flying species(i forgot the name) that travels with you,it evolves when you feed it items.i stopped playing this game because of the final bossthis game has a nice storyline which is the only reason why i continued playing it.the battles aren't so hard only when its a boss battle.you can make 3 diffrent characters with diffrent races and with diffrent battle styles.and you have this flying species(i forgot the name) that travels with you,it evolves when you feed it items.i stopped playing this game because of the final boss battle it was so hard that i decided not to play but all you have to do is level up which i am too lazy to do.and you can go online and multiplayer in this game.i've only tried multiplayer because when i got this game it was already an old game but not too old,so that's whyi could'nt play online.anyway im sure you'll find this game worth your time. Expand

1. It's a shame that the developers squandered the chance to really build upon Phantasy Star Online, but there's no denying that when you have a few friends at your side, Phantasy Star 0 is just as much fun as its grandpa used to be. [Dec 2009, p.82]
  2. Easy online access, fulfilling single-player experience. Fun action with RPG elements makes the hunt for gear in an interesting world a real treat. If you own a DS and you care about quality entertainment, then you need this game.
  3. Once those rehashed maps and frustratingly straightforward missions rear their repetitive heads, the limits of Phantasy Star 0 become apparent.