8.0

1. Mar 6, 2011
    I told myself a long time ago, I am done with Pokemon. I now find myself eating my words. There are 150 new Pokemon, and while they are well... odd to say the least, it sure is kind of cool to see nothing but new creatures every time I get into a random battle. I like the camera angle here, it is really well done, and does a good job of implementing the 2.5D capability of the DS.I told myself a long time ago, I am done with Pokemon. I now find myself eating my words. There are 150 new Pokemon, and while they are well... odd to say the least, it sure is kind of cool to see nothing but new creatures every time I get into a random battle. I like the camera angle here, it is really well done, and does a good job of implementing the 2.5D capability of the DS. Multiplayer... oh wow, they really created something else. The entire multiplayer experience is overhauled, with a feature similar to the 3DS' street-pass, a Pokemon dream world, and no more freaking Pokemon Centers to connect wirelessly. C-Gear is outstanding. I once rated HG a 9, but Black (and I suppose I can speak for White too), is so much more streamlined, improved, and fresh. I would call this among the top 10 DS games of all time. Expand
  2. Mar 7, 2011
    The best Pokemon yet! I put about 20 hours in Black/White so far and until the sixth generation, Pokemon fans have great games in Black/White. Everything is pretty great for new Pokemon trainers as well as longtime Pokemon fans. Addictive as ever. And as an adult, I recommend these games to everyone!
  3. Jul 6, 2011
    I, being a big poke maniac, love the game and new pokemon. I will agree to some of the pokemon being a little weird (and frankly...stupid looking), but if you look at their combat skills over their looks, you will like them. I will also agree that pokemon may be new (in terms of versions), but it is still the same. I got the game, but if pokemon doesn't change for the better soon, i mayI, being a big poke maniac, love the game and new pokemon. I will agree to some of the pokemon being a little weird (and frankly...stupid looking), but if you look at their combat skills over their looks, you will like them. I will also agree that pokemon may be new (in terms of versions), but it is still the same. I got the game, but if pokemon doesn't change for the better soon, i may stray from it some. I love how the pokemon keep moving after battle. I played pokemon platinum after i finished this, and i kept thinking, "why aren't you moving?" It grows on you! The legendaries were good, but i think they are repeating a little with the 3 musketeers as dog-like creatures. If they aren't dogs, they looks awful close to them. The graphics got a lot better, that i liked. To be honest and short, the game was great from all the new features (including the dream word!), but it is still pokemon, and pokemon needs to expand, not just stay slow, turn-based combat. No amount of features wil make up for a game that refuses to grow (other than new creatures). Expand
  4. Jan 27, 2012
    Honestly, Pokemon games are starting to get worse and worse. Nintendo seems to be running out of ideas for new Pokemon (a sarcophagus, seriously). Generation IV of Pokemon pretty much ruined it all. It's more fun to actually go to another person's house and play the older Pokemon games in person.
  5. Mar 7, 2011
    Unfortunately, it seems Game Freak still hasn't worked out a few kinks in the Pokemon design. Like the previous generation, Pokemon Black and White play at a snail pace. Your walking speed is atrocious and you're stuck with it until you're given the running shoes. I don't understand this design choice at all. Why disallow us from running in the first place? I've always found this to be aUnfortunately, it seems Game Freak still hasn't worked out a few kinks in the Pokemon design. Like the previous generation, Pokemon Black and White play at a snail pace. Your walking speed is atrocious and you're stuck with it until you're given the running shoes. I don't understand this design choice at all. Why disallow us from running in the first place? I've always found this to be a nonsensical milestone to meet in the games.

Most actions and events are unnecessarily slow too. Transitioning from one scene to another (such as entering/exiting a building or a battle) still takes too long. Battle phases are still too drawn out as well. It should not take so long to show the attack you've used, the damage it has done and any multipliers or effects applied to it. This could all be remedied by simply showing all relevant information above the rival Pokemon (a la most RPGs), rather than the usual text boxes at the bottom of the screen.

The new Pokemon are better than I expected, to be fair. I'd seen a lot of the official art of these new Pokemon a while ago and I was not impressed. Fortunately, as sprites, they look a little less hideous. Still, I consider them to be pretty weak compared to earlier generations (I didn't think much of Generation IV's new Pokemon either), but that could be nostalgia clouding my judgement.

The story in this generation is slightly darker and more complex than the series has ever seen before, which is a nice touch. There are themes in this game I wouldn't have ever expected to see in the series and I'm glad they're there. In terms of story, this generation is far ahead of anything before it. However, don't expect to be enthralled by it - this is still a Pokemon game.

I was hoping for more change in these games, honestly. I wasn't expecting these changes (I imagine straying from the proven formula too much could prove hazardous), but they would have been nice. That's about all I've got to say, really.
  6. Jan 7, 2012
    I played every pokemon released up to date, and this one is by far the worst i have ever played. Reason why? 1. It is very hard to find TM's and HM's in the game.
    2. There is NO vs seeker or method to fight the trianers you have battle before like previous pokemon game.
    3. Enemy Pokemon are much stronger than yours unless your really take time into the game to EV train them. 4. Once you beat the elite four the first time there is a MAJOR level gap when you beging to travel to the next town. A 20 level difference to be exact, which mean time to grind for 20 levels all your pokemon. (Not fun imo) 5. It seems that the makers of pokemon are running out of ideas in making new pokemon, some that where released just look ridiculous 2 of weirdest i've seen are #568 which is a garbage bag pretty much and #618 which looks like a fish who was run'd over by a truck. Those were my negative thought about the game.
    As for my positive they are as followed,

1. Great Story line.
    2. The triple battle system.
  7. Mar 10, 2012
    I will say right off the bat that I'm not giving this a 5 because of the new pokemon. I actually think they're very well designed, and a lot of them are super cool. Here's my thing with Pokemon: I like the play style every time. They take the same ol classic Pokemon gameplay and update it with some good changes to make it feel new. I think this time they might have gone a bit overboard,I will say right off the bat that I'm not giving this a 5 because of the new pokemon. I actually think they're very well designed, and a lot of them are super cool. Here's my thing with Pokemon: I like the play style every time. They take the same ol classic Pokemon gameplay and update it with some good changes to make it feel new. I think this time they might have gone a bit overboard, though. It doesn't play like the Pokemon we know and love. Now the number one most important thing to me with Pokemon games: the post-game. I really liked the second and fourth gens (and Emerald in the third gen) because there was so much to do after you beat the Elite Four, and I never actually found myself deleting my save. In Black and White... there's almost nothing. You can go catch a few legendaries. That's it. There's no captivating Battle Tower like thing (there's something similar, but it's not quite as fun, and it can be done throughout the game), there's no captivating new area (once again, there is a new area, but it can be torn through rather quickly without much to do in it), and there aren't many people you can rebattle. I guess with this generation of Pokemon game I'm not mad, just disappointed. Expand
  8. Mar 10, 2011
    Pokemon Black and White remind us why Pokemon is such a hugely successful franchise. The tried and true formula is improved upon, the aesthetics are enhanced, the story is more creative, and there are tons of new Pokemon. Game Freak is never going to fix what isn't broken, but they sure has hell are not complacent--there was clearly a lot of effort put into these games, and it paid off.Pokemon Black and White remind us why Pokemon is such a hugely successful franchise. The tried and true formula is improved upon, the aesthetics are enhanced, the story is more creative, and there are tons of new Pokemon. Game Freak is never going to fix what isn't broken, but they sure has hell are not complacent--there was clearly a lot of effort put into these games, and it paid off. A true RPG masterclass, and a great send-off for the DS. Expand
  9. Oct 23, 2011
    When I first saw this game I was super excited, but after 2 hours of playing this game I just gave it away to a friend. First off people might think the graphics are great for a Pokemon game, but I didn't think it looked that much different than Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. Everything in this game is in 3D, except for 1 thing, YOU. I just think that Nintendo should take more risks in theseWhen I first saw this game I was super excited, but after 2 hours of playing this game I just gave it away to a friend. First off people might think the graphics are great for a Pokemon game, but I didn't think it looked that much different than Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. Everything in this game is in 3D, except for 1 thing, YOU. I just think that Nintendo should take more risks in these games because in each new installments the only thing I find better is graphics(slightly), maybe combat and te menus. There was only really 1 thing that I liked in this game and that was the unlimited use of TMs which I found quite useful. The one thing that really bothered me was that in the first Pokemon games you only had to collect 150/151 Pokemon to fill the Pokedex which was hard enough as is, but now to fully complete the Pokedex you have to collect over 600. I just think that Pokemon has gone too far with the series. Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Sapphire, Ruby and Emerald were all great, but after that I found it was the same game with a new coat of paint. The series should soon end. Expand
  10. Jul 21, 2012
    For newcomers to the Pokemon Series, this might seem like a masterpiece, from a Generation One perspective it's a recycled piece of poop , with some of the ugliest character designs in the history of video games. I mean who wants an ice-cream for a pokemon? It may possess some new features, but it is intrinsically the same as all the other series. The storyline as alwaysFor newcomers to the Pokemon Series, this might seem like a masterpiece, from a Generation One perspective it's a recycled piece of poop , with some of the ugliest character designs in the history of video games. I mean who wants an ice-cream for a pokemon? It may possess some new features, but it is intrinsically the same as all the other series. The storyline as always encompasses, getting the 8 badges, defeating the bad guys and becoming the Pokemon Champion. They always try to throw in legendary pokemon, to make the game feel 'special, but the reality is a flawed gimmick that needs to be in the ground.

On a positive note the graphic improvements are breath of fresh air. The characters although ugly, are at least clear, and the background scenery is nice. But people, let me remind you that the purpose of a video game is not the Michael Bay visual's, it's the feeling that you are sucked the world you are exploring without effort . Unfortunately, Pokemon Black/white does match this bill.
  11. Apr 28, 2012
    Why GameFreak, why? Why, after the excellent HG/SS versions, you had to come out with this... thing? The best bet I have is that the team that worked on this abomination is NOT the same that worked on HG and SS. But anyway. The entire franchise got so dumbed down with Black and White it's not even funny. Poison not working outside of battle? Region being linear as crap? Gym leaders onlyWhy GameFreak, why? Why, after the excellent HG/SS versions, you had to come out with this... thing? The best bet I have is that the team that worked on this abomination is NOT the same that worked on HG and SS. But anyway. The entire franchise got so dumbed down with Black and White it's not even funny. Poison not working outside of battle? Region being linear as crap? Gym leaders only ever having 3 Pokemon max? Audinos and Lucky Egg making the game lose ANY traces of challenge it ever had? And that's only scratching the top of a mountain of problems this game has. Truth to be told, the game has some improvements. Mostly minor, and/or completely irrelevant to the franchise as a whole (like a plot) but there are still there. Still, the game left me with a really bad aftertaste (esp. with what they did to the multiplayer...) and that pushed me, a lifelong fan of the franchise, to rate this game with such an avarage score. Expand
  12. Feb 27, 2012
    honestly, It's really getting boring. they should try to get better ideas...... I'm just kinda sick of the Pokemon series.... this is nothing compared to the amazing-ness of my favourite; pokemon ruby.
  13. Oct 6, 2012
    At first I did not want to buy this game. I guessed that adding 156 totally new Pokémon to the game would cause too little variation and few really new and exciting Pokémon. I was definitely wrong. The starters are awesome. Although the start of the game is a little slow, it gets much better when you meet team Plasma, and begin to expand your team with new exciting andAt first I did not want to buy this game. I guessed that adding 156 totally new Pokémon to the game would cause too little variation and few really new and exciting Pokémon. I was definitely wrong. The starters are awesome. Although the start of the game is a little slow, it gets much better when you meet team Plasma, and begin to expand your team with new exciting and beautifully crafted Pokémon. There are a few minor things which could be improved. I think the battles go to slowly. If there was an option that could speed up the animations a bit, it would have saved me a lot of time. Another thing I'd like to mention is that there are far too many Normal and Flying type Pokemon. Some of them are cool like the ancient Pokémon Archeops (Flying type) or the cute dog Pokémon Lillipup (Normal), which eventually evolves into a huge dog, which is the first dog Pokémon I have ever used on my team. Old fans of the game might miss the classic first gen Pokémon, but if you just enjoy the game until after you beat the Pokémon League you will be able to find Pokémon from earlier generations. This, in addition to the already great variation of Pokémon in the game, and a huge potential for replayability adds up to create a game in which I have been completely lost in for several days already. This is a must for every DS owner. Expand
  14. Oct 29, 2012
    This is a half decent game. I would have given it an 10 for the Plot and the design of the Player Character and NPC's but the majority of the designs of the Pokemon just let the game down. Sure, Snivy is a gorgeous Pokemon, but some designs just made me die a little inside. Some of the names were also a let down: a.k.a: Gothitelle? The design may be beautiful but could be seen as offensiveThis is a half decent game. I would have given it an 10 for the Plot and the design of the Player Character and NPC's but the majority of the designs of the Pokemon just let the game down. Sure, Snivy is a gorgeous Pokemon, but some designs just made me die a little inside. Some of the names were also a let down: a.k.a: Gothitelle? The design may be beautiful but could be seen as offensive to 'Goths'. Anyway: Decent game, Pokemon designs let it down considerably. However: N is the best antagonist there has ever been. Expand
  15. Jun 17, 2011
    How dare you make such an awesome game, with such an awesome story and then have such weird looking pokemon. Honestly they look awful. Especially the legendaries. I was iffy about the pokemon in Pearl and Diamond,, but I eventually warmed up to them. In the same time, that hasn't happened with these. I like about 10 of them total.
  16. Jul 13, 2011
    For whatever reason Black and White Version have there own separate pages, and I don't see why since since there basically the same game. Well in truth every Pokemon game is the same game. Ok the story is good and questions where you bring harm to your army of cute fire breathing badge getters, but just who is this game really for? While the rating says everybody is game aimed at the oldFor whatever reason Black and White Version have there own separate pages, and I don't see why since since there basically the same game. Well in truth every Pokemon game is the same game. Ok the story is good and questions where you bring harm to your army of cute fire breathing badge getters, but just who is this game really for? While the rating says everybody is game aimed at the old fans or the young kids who may not be old enough to care and just want to catch strange looking creatures. While I'm 20 and while I liked the plot I though they could have pushed it farther. However my real issues lie within some the other things the game does. The C-Gear is my biggest pet peeve as I missed the useful menu thing Soul Silver had that made use of the bottom screen apposed to some online thing you will rarely use. Well if you have a lot friends who play this then it has some use but once again whose buying this game? I know more people my own age who have this apposed to kids but I have no life. As the for the new Pokemon I don't care for them much with the exception of a grass type. The game seems unbalanced since if you pick the fire pig you can basically pat your self on the back since most of the Pokemon you will encounter will be weak to moves the pig will learn. While I thought it was nice that you can't resort to old favorites till you beat the game once. I liked the fact the levels were higher too so you can't just wipe out your foes with ease though the new music that plays when your health hit the red zone is really annoying. It's also annoying how they took out most of the neat stuff from Soul Silver such a gym leader rematches, the phone system (still in need of work). The world just feels like a closed off island. But they did finally make TM's unlimited so you could use a move more than once. In general I'm not how to look at this game, personally I think there should be a game that reaches out to the older players instead of trying to jumble the old and the young players. Until then I think for people like me Pokemon will stay as a kitchen sink game, the kind you play to waste time till class starts. Expand
  17. Mar 7, 2011
    Be fore I begin my review realgamer fan just to let you know you gave the game a 0 I believe by accident. Anyways Pokemon Black and White are truly a great rethinking of the series. Sure they have their flaws such as mostly weird pokemon and then no pokemon following behind you any more. The good out weights the bad by far however. Zekrom and Reshiram and awesome. Axew and its family areBe fore I begin my review realgamer fan just to let you know you gave the game a 0 I believe by accident. Anyways Pokemon Black and White are truly a great rethinking of the series. Sure they have their flaws such as mostly weird pokemon and then no pokemon following behind you any more. The good out weights the bad by far however. Zekrom and Reshiram and awesome. Axew and its family are wickedly powerful. The graphics are nice but the chamera is not as good as others were saying it was. In the end however I found both to be great games even if they could have come up with mostly better pokemon. I give the games a 9/10 overall. Expand
  18. Mar 8, 2011
    Pokemon Black/White is, arguably, the best Pokemon game to date.
    Fully utilizing the DS's somewhat limited power capabilities, Pokemon Black/White does an excellent job of creating a realistic, breathing world filled with Pokemon on Nintendo's handheld.
    Pokemon Black/White is, arguably, the best Pokemon game to date.
    The 2.5D graphics are brilliant, and some of the bridge landscapes (you'll see what I mean when you play it) are truly phenomenal. The battle system is much improved; combat works faster, somehow, and the new animations for the Pokemon make the battles more interesting. However, for some baffling reason the Pokemon that you are using is just a blown up version of a smaller image, so it appears really pixelated, which I don't understand why the developers didn't do something about. Other than that though, the battle system is brilliant and triple and rotation battles add a breath of fresh air to the tried and true formula, the latter even encouraging more tactical thinking.
    Then there are the Pokemon - around 150 new Pokemon, meaning that for the majority of the game you won't see a Pokemon that you recognise. Although some of them look stupid, it is extremely refreshing not to walk into a cave and be assaulted by a Zubat. The story is also far more mature than the other Pokemon games, with the game's villians (Team Plasma) even dealing with quite a tough moral issue, which I won't spoil in this review.
    Basically, if you have read this far, GO AND BUY THE GAME. I have hardly put it down since I got it, and I have been carrying my DS everywhere with me so that, at any chance I get, I can dive right into the world of Pokemon.
  19. Mar 9, 2011
    Why change a game that already ticks all the right boxes? Pokemon does just that. With their newest update to the series, Pokemon Black & White stick to a winning formula. We've a new world to explore, a new roster of pokemon characters and slightly updated graphics. While at the core there is not much difference between the new generation of pokemon games and the original debut, thisWhy change a game that already ticks all the right boxes? Pokemon does just that. With their newest update to the series, Pokemon Black & White stick to a winning formula. We've a new world to explore, a new roster of pokemon characters and slightly updated graphics. While at the core there is not much difference between the new generation of pokemon games and the original debut, this version still seems completely refreshed. Here we have a game that remains true to a winning series. Expand
  20. Mar 13, 2011
    I signed up for this site just to write a review on this game. That's how good I feel Pokemon Black and White is. The animations are cool to look at, the combat runs smoother than ever before. It's a whole new experience. It's the first game in the series to separate itself from its predecessors. You never know what you are going to encounter. Random wi-fi battles are awesome as is theI signed up for this site just to write a review on this game. That's how good I feel Pokemon Black and White is. The animations are cool to look at, the combat runs smoother than ever before. It's a whole new experience. It's the first game in the series to separate itself from its predecessors. You never know what you are going to encounter. Random wi-fi battles are awesome as is the global trade center. Overall, if you haven't picked up this game yet on your DS you have to get this! I don't know how they could have made the game better (Besides some of the music) so I'll give it a 10/10! Expand
  21. Mar 17, 2011
    Yes it's pokemon still, how much do you expect them to change? some new features are new camera angles, you see the back of the whole pokemon (not just the back of their head) and they move constantly, this makes battles look a lot nicer than previous pokemon games, and your first playthough will be full of 'Whoa look at those camera angles.'
    BUT
    The main thing wrong with this game is what
    BUT
    The main thing wrong with this game is what they decided not to use from SoulSilver and HeartGold, gone is the really useful menu on the touch screen, and you can't have pokemon following you. The touch screen is instead replaced with the Cgear, which currently, does nothing at all.
    The storyline is a lot better than previous games, and some of the new pokemon are pretty cool though.
    All in all, it's pokemon but with better looks and a worse menu than SS/HG.
  22. Mar 18, 2011
    I'm very surprised at how well this game turned out. Been playing since Red and Blue versions debuted in the US, and I was very happy with this installment. Black gave me that sense of depth and team customization that I hadn't had since Blue. Until you beat the Elite Four, all the Pokemon you encounter are new. Every fresh face you meet, you wonder "How well would this guy fit into myI'm very surprised at how well this game turned out. Been playing since Red and Blue versions debuted in the US, and I was very happy with this installment. Black gave me that sense of depth and team customization that I hadn't had since Blue. Until you beat the Elite Four, all the Pokemon you encounter are new. Every fresh face you meet, you wonder "How well would this guy fit into my team? Does he have any good moves? Who would he replace?" The team combinations seem endless as you progress through the story. The story itself is pretty engaging, but not much to talk about. It's unfortunate that the Pokemon Global Link is down for maintenance until March 30th. I would've really liked to have this game feature available at launch. Another nitpick is that they removed the auto-run option from HeartGold/SoulSilver. Expand
  23. Mar 22, 2011
    Absoloutely astounding. Whatever some reviewers may say about Pokemon Black not showing any new way for Pokemon, I don't think it needs a brand new developement, slight additions to the game each time adds new fun each time. Although it's not brand new, the great graphics which are used in Castelia City are amazing, some (ok lots) of the pokemon are dodgy and have slightly (ok very)Absoloutely astounding. Whatever some reviewers may say about Pokemon Black not showing any new way for Pokemon, I don't think it needs a brand new developement, slight additions to the game each time adds new fun each time. Although it's not brand new, the great graphics which are used in Castelia City are amazing, some (ok lots) of the pokemon are dodgy and have slightly (ok very) unusual names, but that is not worthy of knocking a mark of it. I give it 10 here, but if i was marking it out of 100%, I would give it 95%. 2% off for not being completely new, 2% off for a few dodgy pokemon, and 1% off for few legendaries. But, that aside, brilliant! Expand
  24. Apr 5, 2011
    Pokemon Black was a great game. It had good graphics(for the DS), good sound, and good controls. The only problems with the game were that that the pokemon names were bad and you couldn't battle any of the trainers again. I found this to be really annoying when training my Haxorus and Deino.
  25. May 7, 2012
    This game breaks my heart because its the worse one in the series. I've been playing Pokemon since R, B, Y and this is easily the worst in the franchise. Honestly, the TV series has went downhill and now the games are showing the same signs. At this rate, this series will be milked to death. I'm still a true Pokemon fan but they are going downhill.
  26. Mar 10, 2011
    They've done it again, made a superb pokemon game. I've been playing since Red and Blue and this game, whilst maybe not as good as the previous in terms of new features it is fantastic. My only regret is not buying white for the forest and more triple battles! There are a massive amount of pokemon to catch, loads of trainers to fight, loads of fighting methods, new moves, new abilities,They've done it again, made a superb pokemon game. I've been playing since Red and Blue and this game, whilst maybe not as good as the previous in terms of new features it is fantastic. My only regret is not buying white for the forest and more triple battles! There are a massive amount of pokemon to catch, loads of trainers to fight, loads of fighting methods, new moves, new abilities, the new region and of course the 2.5D view which works amazingly well. There are some breathtaking visuals with amazing cut scenes. There's also the ability to transfer pokemon from the older games making completing your pokedex a lot more easier. All in all there is well over 300 offline hours available in this game, loads more if you go online. Expand
  27. Oct 26, 2011
    For someone who had lost faith on Pokemon after Crystal, due to awful entries like Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and Platinum/Diamond/Pearl, not to mention the cashgrabs that were HeartGold and SoulSilver, with absolutely zero improvements, Pokemon Black was just what the series needed: fresh ideas and changes. Animating the Pokemons was an absolutely superb idea that should have been implementedFor someone who had lost faith on Pokemon after Crystal, due to awful entries like Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and Platinum/Diamond/Pearl, not to mention the cashgrabs that were HeartGold and SoulSilver, with absolutely zero improvements, Pokemon Black was just what the series needed: fresh ideas and changes. Animating the Pokemons was an absolutely superb idea that should have been implemented before, and the fact that TMs can be reused, which makes planning strategies much easier, was just the icing on the cake. Complete with very good music, and a storyline which may be not oscar-winning but does it job well, and also playing with more "mature" themes while keeping the core well preserved, this game is a must have for Nintendo DS owners and Pokemon fans alike. Not to mention that the online elements like the Dreamworld also further improve and expand the experience. If you also dropped Pokemon at one point and want to give the series another try, this is the entry that you're looking for. Very recommended! Expand
  28. Mar 10, 2011
    It's the same exact pokemon game you played years ago with a few graphic improvements. The new pokemon are new, true. But the gameplay is still the same, story is still the same, puzzles are still the same, etc. etc. If you're a true pokemon fan, this game is for you and only you.
  29. Mar 27, 2012
    same thing as past pokemon.it would be a 6 if they madenew thingsauuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeee
  30. Mar 9, 2011
    I never thought the Pokemon series could get this good. I really couldn't. With Nintendo releasing the same tried and tried and tried and true formula over and over again on all it's portables, I thought that the best of the series would always be Pokemon Silver/Gold on the Gameboy Color. Boy, am I wrong.

Pokemon Black/White follows the same story as the other Pokemon games. You're a

Pokemon Black/White follows the same story as the other Pokemon games. You're a young boy/girl without a dad that goes off on a quest to catch all those adorable and dangerous critters we all know and love. You've got your rivals, your evil teams and your 8 gym battles that culminate in you going to the Pokemon League and facing off against the Elite 4. Same old, same old. Pokemon Black/White, however, tweaks these story elements a little. Instead of one rival who may or may not be a total douche, you've got 3 rivals, all with distinct personalities. Bianca is the airhead with the heart of gold, Cheren is the know-it-all kind of guy who ISN'T an arrogant prick and N is the wierdo that can "hear what your Pokemon say" (And who also may or may not be the leader of an evil organization.) These characters feel alot more fleshed out than previous rivals in the series. They've got goals, and different ways of getting to those goals. Previous rivals' personalities consisted of "I'm better than you. Let's fight. Oh **** you're better. I'm gonna go away and be better than you so we can fight again." It's a welcome change that I love.

The evil teams that always appear in Pokemon games also got a positive change in Black/White. Team Plasma actually has a somewhat legitimate reason for wanting to take everyone's Pokemon. They're trying to release them from their trainers so they can all live together in balance. It made me think about the ethics of Pokemon treatment. Should we be stuffing adorable fuzzies into tiny, little balls and have them fight for fame and glory? Yeah, we should. Those guys are wrong. I'm right. Still, Team Plasma does seem like a well conceived evil group. They have a cult-like feel to them, which is a change from other Pokemon games.

The gym leaders are YET ANOTHER welcome change. Instead of being random people with crazy hair/crazy clothes/crazy personalities that just stand around at the end of their respective gyms doing nothing but wait for challengers, the gym leaders in Black/White take an active role in the story. Burgh, the third city's gym leader, helps the player out against a Team Plasma plot based in the third city. These little encounters give the gym leaders a little more character, and make them feel like actual people, instead of just obstacles for the player to overcome to get those freakin' badges.

Finally, the namesake Pokemon. 150 completely new Pokemon. Thank you, Nintendo. No more Wurmples, Pidgeys or GOD DAMN ZUBATS. Every Pokemon you encounter in Black/White is completely new. Granted, some of the newbies are quite ugly. But hey! New Pokemon! Gotta love it.

The battle system is nothing new. A few new inclusions include Triple Battles, which are Double Battles but with another Pokemon thrown in, and Rotation Battles, which are pretty much single battles with the active Pokemon being swapped out for another every turn. A few new moves here and there, and done.

Graphics wise, Pokemon Black/White is a stunner. Sweeping camera angles, lovely weather effects and improved overworld character sprites. Also, the Pokemon actually ANIMATE during battles. Dear god, this made my day for me. Seeing an enemy Snivy cross it's arms and look smug during a battle was totally awesome. Don't ask me why, it just...was. A downside to the combat's visuals? Still no move animations. When I use Tackle, I expect my Pokemon to...tackle the enemy. Jutting forward slightly and adding an explosion sprite onto the enemy Pokemon does not equal a Tackle.

All in all, Pokemon Black/White is a fantastic Pokemon game. I dare say it's the best Pokemon game, next to Gold/Silver. Outstanding visuals, improved combat and no more god damn Zubats. Worth a buy.

1. Jun 5, 2011
    Learning from the past without ever taking his eyes off the present, this is the pinnacle of the series to date and proof that sometimes you don't need a revolution to give new life to a franchise.
  2. Apr 30, 2011
    Game Freak did it again. Pokemon Black Version is a masterpiece, delivering all the superb gameplay elements that fans of the series learned to love over the years. The only drawback is the dated technology it uses, something that will surely be addressed in the future versions for the 3DS.
  3. Apr 18, 2011
    Actually a Pokémon game with some news. The online modes have been polished, there's new pokémons, quick, better animated battles and better graphics.