Pokemon Black Version DS

8.1

1. Mar 7, 2011
    Unfortunately, it seems Game Freak still hasn't worked out a few kinks in the Pokemon design. Like the previous generation, Pokemon Black and White play at a snail pace. Your walking speed is atrocious and you're stuck with it until you're given the running shoes. I don't understand this design choice at all. Why disallow us from running in the first place? I've always found this to be aUnfortunately, it seems Game Freak still hasn't worked out a few kinks in the Pokemon design. Like the previous generation, Pokemon Black and White play at a snail pace. Your walking speed is atrocious and you're stuck with it until you're given the running shoes. I don't understand this design choice at all. Why disallow us from running in the first place? I've always found this to be a nonsensical milestone to meet in the games.

Most actions and events are unnecessarily slow too. Transitioning from one scene to another (such as entering/exiting a building or a battle) still takes too long. Battle phases are still too drawn out as well. It should not take so long to show the attack you've used, the damage it has done and any multipliers or effects applied to it. This could all be remedied by simply showing all relevant information above the rival Pokemon (a la most RPGs), rather than the usual text boxes at the bottom of the screen.

The new Pokemon are better than I expected, to be fair. I'd seen a lot of the official art of these new Pokemon a while ago and I was not impressed. Fortunately, as sprites, they look a little less hideous. Still, I consider them to be pretty weak compared to earlier generations (I didn't think much of Generation IV's new Pokemon either), but that could be nostalgia clouding my judgement.

The story in this generation is slightly darker and more complex than the series has ever seen before, which is a nice touch. There are themes in this game I wouldn't have ever expected to see in the series and I'm glad they're there. In terms of story, this generation is far ahead of anything before it. However, don't expect to be enthralled by it - this is still a Pokemon game.

I was hoping for more change in these games, honestly. I wasn't expecting these changes (I imagine straying from the proven formula too much could prove hazardous), but they would have been nice. That's about all I've got to say, really.
  2. Jan 19, 2013
    I was a little let down with this game. After the amazing soulsliver i expected this to be just as good or even better however that was not the case sadly.
  3. Feb 9, 2013
    I don't mind the design here it's just that it gets really boring straight after the elite 4 and the level difference is about 10 and it's boring as heck doing that just to visit 2 more towns.The worst of the Pokemon but still a very good game.Get Black2/White2 though.
  4. Aug 30, 2013
    An essential reboot of the Pokémon handheld titles, Pokémon Black and Pokémon White are not so innovative as they might aspire to be. The same mechanics are utilized, and little to nothing new is brought to the table. Attempting to attract attention of leading the edge in modernization, by adding over a 150 new species to the Pokémon roster, it fails by doing little more than this. TripleAn essential reboot of the Pokémon handheld titles, Pokémon Black and Pokémon White are not so innovative as they might aspire to be. The same mechanics are utilized, and little to nothing new is brought to the table. Attempting to attract attention of leading the edge in modernization, by adding over a 150 new species to the Pokémon roster, it fails by doing little more than this. Triple battles and rotation battles, while a nice addition, are barely featured and almost a backdoor surprise feature that you don't unearth unless you go looking for them. The Unova region is heavily grotesque in that it fails in its forced marriage of nature and urbanization. Within 30 seconds you are able to travel from a forest, to a bridge, to a metropolis, to a desert. The inspiration of New York City bares little resemblance outside of the trivial skyscrapers and harbors in Castelia City. Perhaps the only redeeming and general progression in the Pokémon series is the beautifully crafted soundtrack. However, outside of this there is little if anything new to the series. Expand
  5. Jan 8, 2014
    A great RPG for the DS, though not as good as it's previous installments. While the gameplay is incredibly familiar and addicting and it has great visuals for the DS, the story itself is meh, especially towards the ending. The music, while good, is pretty forgettable and for a Pokemon game, that's a negative. However, the game itself is very fun and addicting especially with friends, butA great RPG for the DS, though not as good as it's previous installments. While the gameplay is incredibly familiar and addicting and it has great visuals for the DS, the story itself is meh, especially towards the ending. The music, while good, is pretty forgettable and for a Pokemon game, that's a negative. However, the game itself is very fun and addicting especially with friends, but it is not the best Pokemon installment. Expand
  6. Nov 18, 2015
    It' a shame that I have to give a medium score to a pokemon game, but I'm being honest. The game itself isn't bad -the story the game tells is very good, maybe the second best-, but when you begin to discover the pokémon, you kind of don't want to play the game so much. Game Freak should REALLY work better in the pokémon design, because they are everything -they gave the freaking name ofIt' a shame that I have to give a medium score to a pokemon game, but I'm being honest. The game itself isn't bad -the story the game tells is very good, maybe the second best-, but when you begin to discover the pokémon, you kind of don't want to play the game so much. Game Freak should REALLY work better in the pokémon design, because they are everything -they gave the freaking name of the game! This game is the reason why I don't want to play Black 2 and XY. It looks like the pokémon just get worse, and worse. They got to the point where they didn't have enough ideas, and they put other region pokémon -XY, I'm looking at you-! I mean, it's kind of disappointing. It isn't a bad game, though. You should check it out if you are a pokemon fan. If you're not, you should have HeartGold or SoulSilver as your first pokémon game. Thanks for the attention. Expand
  7. Jan 27, 2012
    Honestly, Pokemon games are starting to get worse and worse. Nintendo seems to be running out of ideas for new Pokemon (a sarcophagus, seriously). Generation IV of Pokemon pretty much ruined it all. It's more fun to actually go to another person's house and play the older Pokemon games in person.
  8. Feb 27, 2012
    honestly, It's really getting boring. they should try to get better ideas...... I'm just kinda sick of the Pokemon series.... this is nothing compared to the amazing-ness of my favourite; pokemon ruby.
  9. Apr 28, 2012
    Why GameFreak, why? Why, after the excellent HG/SS versions, you had to come out with this... thing? The best bet I have is that the team that worked on this abomination is NOT the same that worked on HG and SS. But anyway. The entire franchise got so dumbed down with Black and White it's not even funny. Poison not working outside of battle? Region being linear as crap? Gym leaders onlyWhy GameFreak, why? Why, after the excellent HG/SS versions, you had to come out with this... thing? The best bet I have is that the team that worked on this abomination is NOT the same that worked on HG and SS. But anyway. The entire franchise got so dumbed down with Black and White it's not even funny. Poison not working outside of battle? Region being linear as crap? Gym leaders only ever having 3 Pokemon max? Audinos and Lucky Egg making the game lose ANY traces of challenge it ever had? And that's only scratching the top of a mountain of problems this game has. Truth to be told, the game has some improvements. Mostly minor, and/or completely irrelevant to the franchise as a whole (like a plot) but there are still there. Still, the game left me with a really bad aftertaste (esp. with what they did to the multiplayer...) and that pushed me, a lifelong fan of the franchise, to rate this game with such an avarage score. Expand
  10. Oct 13, 2014
    Pokémon that look really ugly, lack of Pokémon from other generations making your team very limited, the worst region which is completely linear and is basically a single line and a very boring post-game. Easily the worst Pokémon game I've ever played and even the better story than usual cannot outweigh the flaws in this one.
  11. Apr 28, 2017
    In my opinion, the 5th gen is the worst pokemon gen, simply because the game isn't as fun as the other games. That does't mean it's a bad game, it's just that this game simply lacks originality, and at the time, pokemon was starting to get repetitive (until the 7th gen).
  12. Jun 17, 2011
    How dare you make such an awesome game, with such an awesome story and then have such weird looking pokemon. Honestly they look awful. Especially the legendaries. I was iffy about the pokemon in Pearl and Diamond,, but I eventually warmed up to them. In the same time, that hasn't happened with these. I like about 10 of them total.
  13. Jul 13, 2011
    For whatever reason Black and White Version have there own separate pages, and I don't see why since since there basically the same game. Well in truth every Pokemon game is the same game. Ok the story is good and questions where you bring harm to your army of cute fire breathing badge getters, but just who is this game really for? While the rating says everybody is game aimed at the oldFor whatever reason Black and White Version have there own separate pages, and I don't see why since since there basically the same game. Well in truth every Pokemon game is the same game. Ok the story is good and questions where you bring harm to your army of cute fire breathing badge getters, but just who is this game really for? While the rating says everybody is game aimed at the old fans or the young kids who may not be old enough to care and just want to catch strange looking creatures. While I'm 20 and while I liked the plot I though they could have pushed it farther. However my real issues lie within some the other things the game does. The C-Gear is my biggest pet peeve as I missed the useful menu thing Soul Silver had that made use of the bottom screen apposed to some online thing you will rarely use. Well if you have a lot friends who play this then it has some use but once again whose buying this game? I know more people my own age who have this apposed to kids but I have no life. As the for the new Pokemon I don't care for them much with the exception of a grass type. The game seems unbalanced since if you pick the fire pig you can basically pat your self on the back since most of the Pokemon you will encounter will be weak to moves the pig will learn. While I thought it was nice that you can't resort to old favorites till you beat the game once. I liked the fact the levels were higher too so you can't just wipe out your foes with ease though the new music that plays when your health hit the red zone is really annoying. It's also annoying how they took out most of the neat stuff from Soul Silver such a gym leader rematches, the phone system (still in need of work). The world just feels like a closed off island. But they did finally make TM's unlimited so you could use a move more than once. In general I'm not how to look at this game, personally I think there should be a game that reaches out to the older players instead of trying to jumble the old and the young players. Until then I think for people like me Pokemon will stay as a kitchen sink game, the kind you play to waste time till class starts. Expand
  14. Oct 23, 2011
    When I first saw this game I was super excited, but after 2 hours of playing this game I just gave it away to a friend. First off people might think the graphics are great for a Pokemon game, but I didn't think it looked that much different than Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. Everything in this game is in 3D, except for 1 thing, YOU. I just think that Nintendo should take more risks in theseWhen I first saw this game I was super excited, but after 2 hours of playing this game I just gave it away to a friend. First off people might think the graphics are great for a Pokemon game, but I didn't think it looked that much different than Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. Everything in this game is in 3D, except for 1 thing, YOU. I just think that Nintendo should take more risks in these games because in each new installments the only thing I find better is graphics(slightly), maybe combat and te menus. There was only really 1 thing that I liked in this game and that was the unlimited use of TMs which I found quite useful. The one thing that really bothered me was that in the first Pokemon games you only had to collect 150/151 Pokemon to fill the Pokedex which was hard enough as is, but now to fully complete the Pokedex you have to collect over 600. I just think that Pokemon has gone too far with the series. Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Sapphire, Ruby and Emerald were all great, but after that I found it was the same game with a new coat of paint. The series should soon end. Expand
  15. Jan 7, 2012
    I played every pokemon released up to date, and this one is by far the worst i have ever played. Reason why? 1. It is very hard to find TM's and HM's in the game.
    2. There is NO vs seeker or method to fight the trianers you have battle before like previous pokemon game.
    3. Enemy Pokemon are much stronger than yours unless your really take time into the game to EV train them. 4. Once you beat the elite four the first time there is a MAJOR level gap when you beging to travel to the next town. A 20 level difference to be exact, which mean time to grind for 20 levels all your pokemon. (Not fun imo) 5. It seems that the makers of pokemon are running out of ideas in making new pokemon, some that where released just look ridiculous 2 of weirdest i've seen are #568 which is a garbage bag pretty much and #618 which looks like a fish who was run'd over by a truck. Those were my negative thought about the game.
    As for my positive they are as followed,

1. Great Story line.
    2. The triple battle system.
  16. Mar 10, 2012
    I will say right off the bat that I'm not giving this a 5 because of the new pokemon. I actually think they're very well designed, and a lot of them are super cool. Here's my thing with Pokemon: I like the play style every time. They take the same ol classic Pokemon gameplay and update it with some good changes to make it feel new. I think this time they might have gone a bit overboard,I will say right off the bat that I'm not giving this a 5 because of the new pokemon. I actually think they're very well designed, and a lot of them are super cool. Here's my thing with Pokemon: I like the play style every time. They take the same ol classic Pokemon gameplay and update it with some good changes to make it feel new. I think this time they might have gone a bit overboard, though. It doesn't play like the Pokemon we know and love. Now the number one most important thing to me with Pokemon games: the post-game. I really liked the second and fourth gens (and Emerald in the third gen) because there was so much to do after you beat the Elite Four, and I never actually found myself deleting my save. In Black and White... there's almost nothing. You can go catch a few legendaries. That's it. There's no captivating Battle Tower like thing (there's something similar, but it's not quite as fun, and it can be done throughout the game), there's no captivating new area (once again, there is a new area, but it can be torn through rather quickly without much to do in it), and there aren't many people you can rebattle. I guess with this generation of Pokemon game I'm not mad, just disappointed. Expand
  17. Apr 21, 2013
    The game has a nice storyline, but it all boils down to the Pokemon. I was highly pissed off at the Vanillite and Trubbish families. The Pokemon doesn't meet the awesomeness as it did in generation 4 and 1. Other than those things, the game is pretty nice. Unfortunately, the game revolves completely around the Pokemon you can catch

#1 Most Discussed DS Game of 2011
#1 Most Shared DS Game of 2011

1. Jun 5, 2011
    Learning from the past without ever taking his eyes off the present, this is the pinnacle of the series to date and proof that sometimes you don't need a revolution to give new life to a franchise.
  2. Apr 30, 2011
    Game Freak did it again. Pokemon Black Version is a masterpiece, delivering all the superb gameplay elements that fans of the series learned to love over the years. The only drawback is the dated technology it uses, something that will surely be addressed in the future versions for the 3DS.
  3. Apr 18, 2011
    Actually a Pokémon game with some news. The online modes have been polished, there's new pokémons, quick, better animated battles and better graphics.