7.9

1. Mar 6, 2011
    I told myself a long time ago, I am done with Pokemon. I now find myself eating my words. There are 150 new Pokemon, and while they are well... odd to say the least, it sure is kind of cool to see nothing but new creatures every time I get into a random battle. I like the camera angle here, it is really well done, and does a good job of implementing the 2.5D capability of the DS. Multiplayer... oh wow, they really created something else. The entire multiplayer experience is overhauled, with a feature similar to the 3DS' street-pass, a Pokemon dream world, and no more freaking Pokemon Centers to connect wirelessly. C-Gear is outstanding. I once rated HG a 9, but Black (and I suppose I can speak for White too), is so much more streamlined, improved, and fresh. I would call this among the top 10 DS games of all time. Expand
  2. Mar 10, 2011
    It's the same exact pokemon game you played years ago with a few graphic improvements. The new pokemon are new, true. But the gameplay is still the same, story is still the same, puzzles are still the same, etc. etc. If you're a true pokemon fan, this game is for you and only you.
  3. Mar 7, 2011
    The best Pokemon yet! I put about 20 hours in Black/White so far and until the sixth generation, Pokemon fans have great games in Black/White. Everything is pretty great for new Pokemon trainers as well as longtime Pokemon fans. Addictive as ever. And as an adult, I recommend these games to everyone!
  4. Jul 21, 2012
    For newcomers to the Pokemon Series, this might seem like a masterpiece, from a Generation One perspective it's a recycled piece of poop , with some of the ugliest character designs in the history of video games. I mean who wants an ice-cream for a pokemon? It may possess some new features, but it is intrinsically the same as all the other series. The storyline as always encompasses, getting the 8 badges, defeating the bad guys and becoming the Pokemon Champion. They always try to throw in legendary pokemon, to make the game feel 'special, but the reality is a flawed gimmick that needs to be in the ground.

On a positive note the graphic improvements are breath of fresh air. The characters although ugly, are at least clear, and the background scenery is nice. But people, let me remind you that the purpose of a video game is not the Michael Bay visual's, it's the feeling that you are sucked the world you are exploring without effort . Unfortunately, Pokemon Black/white does match this bill.
  5. Jun 17, 2011
    How dare you make such an awesome game, with such an awesome story and then have such weird looking pokemon. Honestly they look awful. Especially the legendaries. I was iffy about the pokemon in Pearl and Diamond,, but I eventually warmed up to them. In the same time, that hasn't happened with these. I like about 10 of them total.
  6. Jul 6, 2011
    I, being a big poke maniac, love the game and new pokemon. I will agree to some of the pokemon being a little weird (and frankly...stupid looking), but if you look at their combat skills over their looks, you will like them. I will also agree that pokemon may be new (in terms of versions), but it is still the same. I got the game, but if pokemon doesn't change for the better soon, i may stray from it some. I love how the pokemon keep moving after battle. I played pokemon platinum after i finished this, and i kept thinking, "why aren't you moving?" It grows on you! The legendaries were good, but i think they are repeating a little with the 3 musketeers as dog-like creatures. If they aren't dogs, they looks awful close to them. The graphics got a lot better, that i liked. To be honest and short, the game was great from all the new features (including the dream word!), but it is still pokemon, and pokemon needs to expand, not just stay slow, turn-based combat. No amount of features wil make up for a game that refuses to grow (other than new creatures). Expand
  7. Nov 2, 2011
    lazy and boring this is the same game youve played as all the other pokemon games exept this time you cant trade over your old pokemon from the other game until youve worked your way thourgh this piece of garbadge aviod like the plauge.
  8. Jan 27, 2012
    Honestly, Pokemon games are starting to get worse and worse. Nintendo seems to be running out of ideas for new Pokemon (a sarcophagus, seriously). Generation IV of Pokemon pretty much ruined it all. It's more fun to actually go to another person's house and play the older Pokemon games in person.
  9. Mar 10, 2011
    Pokemon Black and White remind us why Pokemon is such a hugely successful franchise. The tried and true formula is improved upon, the aesthetics are enhanced, the story is more creative, and there are tons of new Pokemon. Game Freak is never going to fix what isn't broken, but they sure has hell are not complacent--there was clearly a lot of effort put into these games, and it paid off. A true RPG masterclass, and a great send-off for the DS. Expand
  10. Jul 13, 2011
    For whatever reason Black and White Version have there own separate pages, and I don't see why since since there basically the same game. Well in truth every Pokemon game is the same game. Ok the story is good and questions where you bring harm to your army of cute fire breathing badge getters, but just who is this game really for? While the rating says everybody is game aimed at the old fans or the young kids who may not be old enough to care and just want to catch strange looking creatures. While I'm 20 and while I liked the plot I though they could have pushed it farther. However my real issues lie within some the other things the game does. The C-Gear is my biggest pet peeve as I missed the useful menu thing Soul Silver had that made use of the bottom screen apposed to some online thing you will rarely use. Well if you have a lot friends who play this then it has some use but once again whose buying this game? I know more people my own age who have this apposed to kids but I have no life. As the for the new Pokemon I don't care for them much with the exception of a grass type. The game seems unbalanced since if you pick the fire pig you can basically pat your self on the back since most of the Pokemon you will encounter will be weak to moves the pig will learn. While I thought it was nice that you can't resort to old favorites till you beat the game once. I liked the fact the levels were higher too so you can't just wipe out your foes with ease though the new music that plays when your health hit the red zone is really annoying. It's also annoying how they took out most of the neat stuff from Soul Silver such a gym leader rematches, the phone system (still in need of work). The world just feels like a closed off island. But they did finally make TM's unlimited so you could use a move more than once. In general I'm not how to look at this game, personally I think there should be a game that reaches out to the older players instead of trying to jumble the old and the young players. Until then I think for people like me Pokemon will stay as a kitchen sink game, the kind you play to waste time till class starts. Expand
  11. Oct 23, 2011
    When I first saw this game I was super excited, but after 2 hours of playing this game I just gave it away to a friend. First off people might think the graphics are great for a Pokemon game, but I didn't think it looked that much different than Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. Everything in this game is in 3D, except for 1 thing, YOU. I just think that Nintendo should take more risks in these games because in each new installments the only thing I find better is graphics(slightly), maybe combat and te menus. There was only really 1 thing that I liked in this game and that was the unlimited use of TMs which I found quite useful. The one thing that really bothered me was that in the first Pokemon games you only had to collect 150/151 Pokemon to fill the Pokedex which was hard enough as is, but now to fully complete the Pokedex you have to collect over 600. I just think that Pokemon has gone too far with the series. Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Sapphire, Ruby and Emerald were all great, but after that I found it was the same game with a new coat of paint. The series should soon end. Collapse
  12. Mar 7, 2011
    Be fore I begin my review realgamer fan just to let you know you gave the game a 0 I believe by accident. Anyways Pokemon Black and White are truly a great rethinking of the series. Sure they have their flaws such as mostly weird pokemon and then no pokemon following behind you any more. The good out weights the bad by far however. Zekrom and Reshiram and awesome. Axew and its family are wickedly powerful. The graphics are nice but the chamera is not as good as others were saying it was. In the end however I found both to be great games even if they could have come up with mostly better pokemon. I give the games a 9/10 overall. Expand
  13. Mar 7, 2011
    Unfortunately, it seems Game Freak still hasn't worked out a few kinks in the Pokemon design. Like the previous generation, Pokemon Black and White play at a snail pace. Your walking speed is atrocious and you're stuck with it until you're given the running shoes. I don't understand this design choice at all. Why disallow us from running in the first place? I've always found this to be a nonsensical milestone to meet in the games.

Most actions and events are unnecessarily slow too. Transitioning from one scene to another (such as entering/exiting a building or a battle) still takes too long. Battle phases are still too drawn out as well. It should not take so long to show the attack you've used, the damage it has done and any multipliers or effects applied to it. This could all be remedied by simply showing all relevant information above the rival Pokemon (a la most RPGs), rather than the usual text boxes at the bottom of the screen.

The new Pokemon are better than I expected, to be fair. I'd seen a lot of the official art of these new Pokemon a while ago and I was not impressed. Fortunately, as sprites, they look a little less hideous. Still, I consider them to be pretty weak compared to earlier generations (I didn't think much of Generation IV's new Pokemon either), but that could be nostalgia clouding my judgement.

The story in this generation is slightly darker and more complex than the series has ever seen before, which is a nice touch. There are themes in this game I wouldn't have ever expected to see in the series and I'm glad they're there. In terms of story, this generation is far ahead of anything before it. However, don't expect to be enthralled by it - this is still a Pokemon game.

I was hoping for more change in these games, honestly. I wasn't expecting these changes (I imagine straying from the proven formula too much could prove hazardous), but they would have been nice. That's about all I've got to say, really.
  14. Mar 8, 2011
    Pokemon Black/White is, arguably, the best Pokemon game to date.
    Fully utilizing the DS's somewhat limited power capabilities, Pokemon Black/White does an excellent job of creating a realistic, breathing world filled with Pokemon on Nintendo's handheld.
    The 2.5D graphics are brilliant, and some of the bridge landscapes (you'll see what I mean when you play it) are truly phenomenal. The
    battle system is much improved; combat works faster, somehow, and the new animations for the Pokemon make the battles more interesting. However, for some baffling reason the Pokemon that you are using is just a blown up version of a smaller image, so it appears really pixelated, which I don't understand why the developers didn't do something about. Other than that though, the battle system is brilliant and triple and rotation battles add a breath of fresh air to the tried and true formula, the latter even encouraging more tactical thinking.
    Then there are the Pokemon - around 150 new Pokemon, meaning that for the majority of the game you won't see a Pokemon that you recognise. Although some of them look stupid, it is extremely refreshing not to walk into a cave and be assaulted by a Zubat. The story is also far more mature than the other Pokemon games, with the game's villians (Team Plasma) even dealing with quite a tough moral issue, which I won't spoil in this review.
    Basically, if you have read this far, GO AND BUY THE GAME. I have hardly put it down since I got it, and I have been carrying my DS everywhere with me so that, at any chance I get, I can dive right into the world of Pokemon.
  15. Jan 7, 2012
    I played every pokemon released up to date, and this one is by far the worst i have ever played. Reason why? 1. It is very hard to find TM's and HM's in the game.
    2. There is NO vs seeker or method to fight the trianers you have battle before like previous pokemon game.
    3. Enemy Pokemon are much stronger than yours unless your really take time into the game to EV train them. 4. Once you
    beat the elite four the first time there is a MAJOR level gap when you beging to travel to the next town. A 20 level difference to be exact, which mean time to grind for 20 levels all your pokemon. (Not fun imo) 5. It seems that the makers of pokemon are running out of ideas in making new pokemon, some that where released just look ridiculous 2 of weirdest i've seen are #568 which is a garbage bag pretty much and #618 which looks like a fish who was run'd over by a truck. Those were my negative thought about the game.
    As for my positive they are as followed,

1. Great Story line.
    2. The triple battle system.
  16. Feb 27, 2012
    honestly, It's really getting boring. they should try to get better ideas...... I'm just kinda sick of the Pokemon series.... this is nothing compared to the amazing-ness of my favourite; pokemon ruby.
  17. Mar 10, 2012
    I will say right off the bat that I'm not giving this a 5 because of the new pokemon. I actually think they're very well designed, and a lot of them are super cool. Here's my thing with Pokemon: I like the play style every time. They take the same ol classic Pokemon gameplay and update it with some good changes to make it feel new. I think this time they might have gone a bit overboard, though. It doesn't play like the Pokemon we know and love. Now the number one most important thing to me with Pokemon games: the post-game. I really liked the second and fourth gens (and Emerald in the third gen) because there was so much to do after you beat the Elite Four, and I never actually found myself deleting my save. In Black and White... there's almost nothing. You can go catch a few legendaries. That's it. There's no captivating Battle Tower like thing (there's something similar, but it's not quite as fun, and it can be done throughout the game), there's no captivating new area (once again, there is a new area, but it can be torn through rather quickly without much to do in it), and there aren't many people you can rebattle. I guess with this generation of Pokemon game I'm not mad, just disappointed. Expand
  18. Mar 27, 2012
    same thing as past pokemon.it would be a 6 if they madenew thingsauuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeee
  19. Apr 28, 2012
    Why GameFreak, why? Why, after the excellent HG/SS versions, you had to come out with this... thing? The best bet I have is that the team that worked on this abomination is NOT the same that worked on HG and SS. But anyway. The entire franchise got so dumbed down with Black and White it's not even funny. Poison not working outside of battle? Region being linear as crap? Gym leaders only ever having 3 Pokemon max? Audinos and Lucky Egg making the game lose ANY traces of challenge it ever had? And that's only scratching the top of a mountain of problems this game has. Truth to be told, the game has some improvements. Mostly minor, and/or completely irrelevant to the franchise as a whole (like a plot) but there are still there. Still, the game left me with a really bad aftertaste (esp. with what they did to the multiplayer...) and that pushed me, a lifelong fan of the franchise, to rate this game with such an avarage score. Expand
  20. May 7, 2012
    This game breaks my heart because its the worse one in the series. I've been playing Pokemon since R, B, Y and this is easily the worst in the franchise. Honestly, the TV series has went downhill and now the games are showing the same signs. At this rate, this series will be milked to death. I'm still a true Pokemon fan but they are going downhill.
  21. Mar 9, 2011
    Why change a game that already ticks all the right boxes? Pokemon does just that. With their newest update to the series, Pokemon Black & White stick to a winning formula. We've a new world to explore, a new roster of pokemon characters and slightly updated graphics. While at the core there is not much difference between the new generation of pokemon games and the original debut, this version still seems completely refreshed. Here we have a game that remains true to a winning series. Expand
  22. Mar 10, 2011
    They've done it again, made a superb pokemon game. I've been playing since Red and Blue and this game, whilst maybe not as good as the previous in terms of new features it is fantastic. My only regret is not buying white for the forest and more triple battles! There are a massive amount of pokemon to catch, loads of trainers to fight, loads of fighting methods, new moves, new abilities, the new region and of course the 2.5D view which works amazingly well. There are some breathtaking visuals with amazing cut scenes. There's also the ability to transfer pokemon from the older games making completing your pokedex a lot more easier. All in all there is well over 300 offline hours available in this game, loads more if you go online. Expand
  23. Mar 13, 2011
    I signed up for this site just to write a review on this game. That's how good I feel Pokemon Black and White is. The animations are cool to look at, the combat runs smoother than ever before. It's a whole new experience. It's the first game in the series to separate itself from its predecessors. You never know what you are going to encounter. Random wi-fi battles are awesome as is the global trade center. Overall, if you haven't picked up this game yet on your DS you have to get this! I don't know how they could have made the game better (Besides some of the music) so I'll give it a 10/10! Expand
  24. Oct 26, 2011
    For someone who had lost faith on Pokemon after Crystal, due to awful entries like Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and Platinum/Diamond/Pearl, not to mention the cashgrabs that were HeartGold and SoulSilver, with absolutely zero improvements, Pokemon Black was just what the series needed: fresh ideas and changes. Animating the Pokemons was an absolutely superb idea that should have been implemented before, and the fact that TMs can be reused, which makes planning strategies much easier, was just the icing on the cake. Complete with very good music, and a storyline which may be not oscar-winning but does it job well, and also playing with more "mature" themes while keeping the core well preserved, this game is a must have for Nintendo DS owners and Pokemon fans alike. Not to mention that the online elements like the Dreamworld also further improve and expand the experience. If you also dropped Pokemon at one point and want to give the series another try, this is the entry that you're looking for. Very recommended! Expand
  25. Mar 17, 2011
    Yes it's pokemon still, how much do you expect them to change? some new features are new camera angles, you see the back of the whole pokemon (not just the back of their head) and they move constantly, this makes battles look a lot nicer than previous pokemon games, and your first playthough will be full of 'Whoa look at those camera angles.'
    BUT
    The main thing wrong with this game is what
    they decided not to use from SoulSilver and HeartGold, gone is the really useful menu on the touch screen, and you can't have pokemon following you. The touch screen is instead replaced with the Cgear, which currently, does nothing at all.
    The storyline is a lot better than previous games, and some of the new pokemon are pretty cool though.
    All in all, it's pokemon but with better looks and a worse menu than SS/HG.
  26. Mar 18, 2011
    I'm very surprised at how well this game turned out. Been playing since Red and Blue versions debuted in the US, and I was very happy with this installment. Black gave me that sense of depth and team customization that I hadn't had since Blue. Until you beat the Elite Four, all the Pokemon you encounter are new. Every fresh face you meet, you wonder "How well would this guy fit into my team? Does he have any good moves? Who would he replace?" The team combinations seem endless as you progress through the story. The story itself is pretty engaging, but not much to talk about. It's unfortunate that the Pokemon Global Link is down for maintenance until March 30th. I would've really liked to have this game feature available at launch. Another nitpick is that they removed the auto-run option from HeartGold/SoulSilver. Expand
  27. Mar 22, 2011
    Absoloutely astounding. Whatever some reviewers may say about Pokemon Black not showing any new way for Pokemon, I don't think it needs a brand new developement, slight additions to the game each time adds new fun each time. Although it's not brand new, the great graphics which are used in Castelia City are amazing, some (ok lots) of the pokemon are dodgy and have slightly (ok very) unusual names, but that is not worthy of knocking a mark of it. I give it 10 here, but if i was marking it out of 100%, I would give it 95%. 2% off for not being completely new, 2% off for a few dodgy pokemon, and 1% off for few legendaries. But, that aside, brilliant! Expand
  28. Oct 6, 2012
    At first I did not want to buy this game. I guessed that adding 156 totally new Pokémon to the game would cause too little variation and few really new and exciting Pokémon. I was definitely wrong. The starters are awesome. Although the start of the game is a little slow, it gets much better when you meet team Plasma, and begin to expand your team with new exciting and beautifully crafted Pokémon. There are a few minor things which could be improved. I think the battles go to slowly. If there was an option that could speed up the animations a bit, it would have saved me a lot of time. Another thing I'd like to mention is that there are far too many Normal and Flying type Pokemon. Some of them are cool like the ancient Pokémon Archeops (Flying type) or the cute dog Pokémon Lillipup (Normal), which eventually evolves into a huge dog, which is the first dog Pokémon I have ever used on my team. Old fans of the game might miss the classic first gen Pokémon, but if you just enjoy the game until after you beat the Pokémon League you will be able to find Pokémon from earlier generations. This, in addition to the already great variation of Pokémon in the game, and a huge potential for replayability adds up to create a game in which I have been completely lost in for several days already. This is a must for every DS owner. Expand
  29. Mar 9, 2011
    I never thought the Pokemon series could get this good. I really couldn't. With Nintendo releasing the same tried and tried and tried and true formula over and over again on all it's portables, I thought that the best of the series would always be Pokemon Silver/Gold on the Gameboy Color. Boy, am I wrong.

Pokemon Black/White follows the same story as the other Pokemon games. You're a
    young boy/girl without a dad that goes off on a quest to catch all those adorable and dangerous critters we all know and love. You've got your rivals, your evil teams and your 8 gym battles that culminate in you going to the Pokemon League and facing off against the Elite 4. Same old, same old. Pokemon Black/White, however, tweaks these story elements a little. Instead of one rival who may or may not be a total douche, you've got 3 rivals, all with distinct personalities. Bianca is the airhead with the heart of gold, Cheren is the know-it-all kind of guy who ISN'T an arrogant prick and N is the wierdo that can "hear what your Pokemon say" (And who also may or may not be the leader of an evil organization.) These characters feel alot more fleshed out than previous rivals in the series. They've got goals, and different ways of getting to those goals. Previous rivals' personalities consisted of "I'm better than you. Let's fight. Oh **** you're better. I'm gonna go away and be better than you so we can fight again." It's a welcome change that I love.

The evil teams that always appear in Pokemon games also got a positive change in Black/White. Team Plasma actually has a somewhat legitimate reason for wanting to take everyone's Pokemon. They're trying to release them from their trainers so they can all live together in balance. It made me think about the ethics of Pokemon treatment. Should we be stuffing adorable fuzzies into tiny, little balls and have them fight for fame and glory? Yeah, we should. Those guys are wrong. I'm right. Still, Team Plasma does seem like a well conceived evil group. They have a cult-like feel to them, which is a change from other Pokemon games.

The gym leaders are YET ANOTHER welcome change. Instead of being random people with crazy hair/crazy clothes/crazy personalities that just stand around at the end of their respective gyms doing nothing but wait for challengers, the gym leaders in Black/White take an active role in the story. Burgh, the third city's gym leader, helps the player out against a Team Plasma plot based in the third city. These little encounters give the gym leaders a little more character, and make them feel like actual people, instead of just obstacles for the player to overcome to get those freakin' badges.

Finally, the namesake Pokemon. 150 completely new Pokemon. Thank you, Nintendo. No more Wurmples, Pidgeys or GOD DAMN ZUBATS. Every Pokemon you encounter in Black/White is completely new. Granted, some of the newbies are quite ugly. But hey! New Pokemon! Gotta love it.

The battle system is nothing new. A few new inclusions include Triple Battles, which are Double Battles but with another Pokemon thrown in, and Rotation Battles, which are pretty much single battles with the active Pokemon being swapped out for another every turn. A few new moves here and there, and done.

Graphics wise, Pokemon Black/White is a stunner. Sweeping camera angles, lovely weather effects and improved overworld character sprites. Also, the Pokemon actually ANIMATE during battles. Dear god, this made my day for me. Seeing an enemy Snivy cross it's arms and look smug during a battle was totally awesome. Don't ask me why, it just...was. A downside to the combat's visuals? Still no move animations. When I use Tackle, I expect my Pokemon to...tackle the enemy. Jutting forward slightly and adding an explosion sprite onto the enemy Pokemon does not equal a Tackle.

All in all, Pokemon Black/White is a fantastic Pokemon game. I dare say it's the best Pokemon game, next to Gold/Silver. Outstanding visuals, improved combat and no more god damn Zubats. Worth a buy.
  30. Mar 26, 2011
    I have played the Pokemon games ever since Red and Blue, and I can honestly say this is the best game since Pokemon Gold/Silver. The graphics, while not superb, are a lot better with 3d environments and the sprites of the Pokemon actually do something. The gameplay is unchanged, but that is not a bad thing. I mean its worked so far. The story is actually the best ever in the series. I actually felt at some points that these guys meant business, and they had goals that seemed logical. They didn't include drowning the world with a Kyogre because they like water or something like that. The game is actually very story driven, but that doesn't mean it is linear by any means. Something that is very welcome to the series is the idea that every Pokemon you encounter before the E4 is a new Pokemon. I did not encounter a single Geodude in my entire playing, and it was grand. I honestly could not put the game down for the first two weeks of my purchasing it, it is that much fun. The online capabilities are also drastically improved, now with the ability to do random matches against players and trade with random people, not just put up a Pokemon for auction. The only downside to the game is many of the new designs are hideous, and I don't say that lightly. I saw an ice cream cone and a pile of garbage, which was what was going through my mind when I saw the designs. Now that doesn't mean they all suck, on the contrary, many are excellent. Some of my new favorites such as Sawsbuck and Krookodile are some of the coolest looking Pokemon to date. I just feel that Gamefreak was more intent on quantity (156 new Pokemon), rather than quality when it came to the designs. That being said, many of these designs grew on me by the end of the game, and it really didn't detract that much from the enjoyment of the game. Pokemon Black is arguably the best in the series, and is a great way to get back into the series. Expand
  31. Apr 5, 2011
    Pokemon Black was a great game. It had good graphics(for the DS), good sound, and good controls. The only problems with the game were that that the pokemon names were bad and you couldn't battle any of the trainers again. I found this to be really annoying when training my Haxorus and Deino.
  32. Apr 7, 2011
    Best Game in the history of ever of all time in life. I love it. I want to marry it because of how much I love it. I played this game instead of eating. :D
  33. Apr 18, 2011
    Though Black and White aren't "groundbreaking" RPGs, they're still as addictive as ever. Pros: Refined visuals and level design; 2.5-D camera angles; wireless trading and battling. Cons: Some of the new Pokemon designs are hit-or-miss; too much unnecessary dialog; hasn't changed much since Platinum version.
  34. Apr 19, 2011
    What can I say? Gamefreak has done a really good job incorporating the graphics from 3D games into the DS to make these new Pokemon Games as enjoyable and exciting as ever.
  35. May 3, 2011
    Definitely a large step up from the last Pokemon game, Pokemon Diamond & Pearl, which in my opinion were the worst of the mainstream Pokemon games published by Game Freak. These games mildly explore a variety of new ideas, such as cutscenes and the expansive Castelia City.
    I disliked many of the new pokemon released in this game, although there are also many hidden gems which showcase the
    true talent of Game Freak.
    This game has definitely persuaded me to stick with Game Freak for at least one more (hopefully spectacular) instalment in the Pokemon games.
  36. May 19, 2011
    Pokemon Black and White aren't the best in the series. However, they still retain the same addictive gameplay from their predecessors, yet build onto the overall "look" and "feel" of the game, resulting in another Poke-adventure worth taking! Pros: The use of 2-D sprites in a 3-D overworld is stunning, but the depth in level design is just mind-blowing; variety of Pokemon to catch, items to find, and moves to learn; lots of extras/secrets; fantastic multiplayer value. Cons: Formulaic gameplay; some ridiculous dialogue; some of the Pokemon designs are uglier than ever. Expand
  37. Jun 21, 2011
    Many people have told me that i should stop being addicted to Pokemon but if the Pokemon haters played it they would see how good the series is. This in my opinion is the best one yet. It has the same experience as a 3DS with a regular DS it has tons of Pokemon and tons of other great things. There are only two flaws: 1. Like most Pokemon games its a little too short and 2. The villains have a stupid goal, they want to free Pokemon from their owners? Its a little stupider and worse then the goals of the other villains. Well I recommend this game to all Pokemon lovers and if you have never tried Pokemon try it! Expand
  38. Jul 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A lot better than Generation 4, the new pokemon look better, in general, than the critters from the Sinnoh region. Plus the fact that there are no old pokemon from the previous generation during the main story is a welcome addition. The story and the ending's also more original than the last few games. LOL, even my account name is a spoiler. =P Expand
  39. Jul 15, 2011
    The Pokemon series is like space. It keeps expanding, and adding more to itself, and sometimes something changes, Pokemon Black does that, again. The thing I don't like about Pokemon Black, is that it feels more like Diamond/Pearl rather than HeartGold/SoulSilver. What I noticed that HG/SS has that Black doesn't have are: More touch screen controls, have Pokemon follow you in the overworld, radio and ability to travel in more than one region. However, Pokemon Black does improve on many things that should have been in the Pokemon Series years ago: Fully animated battle sprites, C-Gear, more internet connectivity and more time based events. Expand
  40. Jul 29, 2011
    This game was for sure, the best of all Pokemon games. There was an intriguing plot while you would waist your time playing for hours and hours for the game. Over 150 Pokemon.... Many new legendaries... etc...
    This game is semi 3-D, a dramatic change to the pokemon series. There were also many, many new features. Some scenes are real life. Overall, this game was still not perfect, but good
    enough with an intriguing plot, new features, and melodramatic real life scenes! Expand
  41. Aug 1, 2011
    Pokemon Black and White are great games. I am a fan of the Pokemon series and have not been disappointed yet. Pokemon Black and White has hours of fun gameplay, and the story is lengthy, entertaining, and fulfilling. Pokemon Black and White have 156 new Pokemon with a new region called Unova, which is different from any other region you have experienced in a Pokemon game. The Unova Region has many large cities, some very large, with wilderness and ancient temples spread across the land. I would definitely suggest this game to anyone who owns the console to play it. Expand
  42. Oct 18, 2011
    its a fantasitic game with less content, charm and originality than red and blue, and didnt quite click into place like ss hg, but still great all round, and getting an 90%
  43. Nov 6, 2011
    Pokemon truly changed for the better when they released this game. 150 new pokemon, a new darker story, and a new region to explore are the biggest changes, but it is also the tiny changes in the game that made it even better, like the organized areas where battles await.
  44. Nov 15, 2011
    What a great game, I cannot stop playing it again and again, because it has many features that keep you entertained for a long time. The online features are great for a DS game, it is like a preview of what is coming for next 3DS generation pokemon games. I hadn't played pokemon since Cristal and this edition captured my attention and now I'm back into Pokemon games. I recommend it if you want a game to compete with other people (you can play with random players from around the world), collect a lot of pokemon and items and expand your group by downloading dream world exclusive pokemon. Expand
  45. Dec 11, 2011
    Easily the best pokemon games to date. The pokemon are the most original pokemon we've seen since generation 2. I would also say these are the most difficult pokemon games, although they're still easy. I didn't like the attempt to incorporate a story more so than the other pokemon games did, but that's not why I play these games. Also the new graphics are nice but again, nobody plays pokemon for the graphics. The core reasons to play a pokemon game are all there, such as new pokemon, new world to explore, new secret areas / secrets to find, new legendary pokemon to seek out in interesting ways, new gym leaders and battles, etc. Expand
  46. Feb 20, 2012
    This game has a lot of new enhancements and features. The story is great, the places are cool but I don't like the new Pokemons, there are few exceptions but not all. Some just look so horrible, I can even draw myself a better one for those.
  47. Mar 22, 2012
    Pokemon Black steps up it's game up in a few non-essential areas. Both the graphics and the story-line are much improved over previous versions. It also has 156 all-new monsters, which is great news for long-time fans who have grown tired of re-catching Pikachu over and over. The battle system, however, still adheres to the tried-and-tested formula... But there was nothing wrong with that formula in the first place. So if it ain't broke, why fix it?! Basically, Pokemon is still Pokemon. It's fun to collect and train the beasts and the game is super cute and easy to play. If you have overdosed on Pokemon, or you never liked it to begin with, this game doesn't offer much to entice. If you are a Poke-maniac, or you've never played a Pokemon game before, then Black is the best one yet. Expand
  48. Mar 27, 2012
    The best Pokemon game to date, the graphics are excellent, the story is surprisingly good and the battle mechanics are as good as ever. The Pokemon designs are mostly fantastic (including some of my favorite additions, like Dwebble), although there are a couple of odd choices. Everything added also feels right at home in the Pokemon franchise. The music is awesome as ever and everything, while technically being old game mechanics, feels fresh. My only complaint of the game is that it came out too close to the 3DS launch, so I worry that my pitiful 75+ hours spent on the game is not enough. It doesn't get a 10 because, if this is the best one yet, the next one might be better (silly reason really). Now bring on Pokemon Black & White 2! Just do yourselves a favor and buy this game if you have not already done so! Expand
  49. Mar 31, 2012
    Pokemon Black manages to bring some much needed freshness into the series, although not enough to fully satisfy. The usual journey of catching/training pokemon and battling other trainers is still fun and a world populated solely with new monsters is a nice change. What is disappointing is the reluctance of this series to stray too far from its comfort zone. Also, the region exclusive to Black version is a big letdown. Even so, both newcomers and veterans will lap this up as it manages to recapture part of what made millions fall in love with Pokemon. Expand
  50. Jul 5, 2012
    I've never been much of a Pokemon fan, played 3 games in the past, this would be my fourth one, I'd say it's the best game I've ever purchased for my DS lineup, I've already hooked up 100+ hours into it and it's just amazing and has lots of things to do, very perfect pokemon game.
  51. Aug 27, 2012
    Hmmm...Not the best but not the worst,while this game improves on some points it also shares an even amount of flaws.

For pros:156 new pokemon,better game-play mechanics,decent enough story,and a large world.

For cons:About 70% of these pokemon look too bulky and unnatural to be considered 'pokemon',the game-play mechanics improved in the multi-player section and dreamworld,but other
    then that,its still just the same old pokemon formula,the story was good but previous games have had better,the large world is pretty linear to the plot,so you'll be walking in a strait line to the elite four.

Bottom line,if you are a new pokemon fan,Have younger siblings that want to try pokemon for the first time,or just a more die-hard fan then this one is for you.But if your anything but the above,then I recommend the games:Pokemon Heart Gold and Sould Silver.
  52. Oct 9, 2012
    In the generations of Pokémon, one color is representative of a version, be it Red and Blue or Gold and Silver. Never before were direct opposing colors used
  53. Oct 29, 2012
    This is a half decent game. I would have given it an 10 for the Plot and the design of the Player Character and NPC's but the majority of the designs of the Pokemon just let the game down. Sure, Snivy is a gorgeous Pokemon, but some designs just made me die a little inside. Some of the names were also a let down: a.k.a: Gothitelle? The design may be beautiful but could be seen as offensive to 'Goths'. Anyway: Decent game, Pokemon designs let it down considerably. However: N is the best antagonist there has ever been. Expand
  54. Nov 1, 2012
    Pokemon may be getting old as some may say but Pokemon black proves that theory wrong.Pokemon black realizes the full potential Pokemon could reach with its great story and narrative ,new graphics and charming visuals , to its improved multiplayer.Where this game lacks is still weak graphics and weak Pokemon designs.
  55. Dec 16, 2012
    Amaziiiinnnnngggg.....well it's a good game great story sadly doesn't have as much stuff to do as black 2 but still a good game.....I find this game great and a must have
  56. Dec 29, 2012
    The graphic overhaul is well-awaited, and with a Pokemon game, it's hard to disappoint. BUt then again, its a Pokemon game, so its hard to be groundbreaking either.
  57. Jan 19, 2013
    I was a little let down with this game. After the amazing soulsliver i expected this to be just as good or even better however that was not the case sadly.
  58. Feb 9, 2013
    I don't mind the design here it's just that it gets really boring straight after the elite 4 and the level difference is about 10 and it's boring as heck doing that just to visit 2 more towns.The worst of the Pokemon but still a very good game.Get Black2/White2 though.
  59. Apr 21, 2013
    The game has a nice storyline, but it all boils down to the Pokemon. I was highly pissed off at the Vanillite and Trubbish families. The Pokemon doesn't meet the awesomeness as it did in generation 4 and 1. Other than those things, the game is pretty nice. Unfortunately, the game revolves completely around the Pokemon you can catch
  60. May 11, 2013
    Intense story, many cheap designs.

When someone brings up the Generation 5 Pokemon, immediately people will bring up the "ice cream Pokemon." Yes, there is an ice cream Pokemon. It was a generic design and a bad idea. That is no excuse to rate this game low. If Magneton were to come out in generation 5, everyone would be like "really? an magnet Pokemon? How lame!" but because of it's
    release date, it is embraced as an original Pokemon and given much praise and love. Magneton the magnet Pokemon is just as generic as Vanilluxe the vanilla ice cream Pokemon.

The storyline in the Pokemon games has always been predictable yet satisfying. This installment breaks the chain. The story was not as predictable and had odd twists in it every now and again.

Same enjoyable fighting and leveling, unexpected new plot, interesting change in overworld graphics, all new Pokemon and tons of fun as always.
  61. Jun 8, 2013
    Largely due to the fact that it was pretty much perfect in the first place the Pokemon series has changed very little in the last fifteen years. Despite this the developers have listened to some of the criticisms leveled at the games and included a number of the improvements fans have long been asking for.

The game of course still sees the player taking on the role of a child travelling
    from town to town collecting Pokemon and using them to battle all manner of opponents. Despite the familiar concept Pokemon Black is a more streamlined experience. Little things like combining the Pokemon Centre and Poke Mart into one building for example cuts down on pointless travelling whilst battles also run at a slightly quicker pace.

Two new types of battle are also included. Triple battles obviously allow for three Pokemon to fight at once whilst rotation battles allow the player to switch out Pokemon before each attack adding a new level of strategy to the game. Some Pokemon can now also combine moves to create more powerful attacks making the selection of a balanced team even more essential.

For the first time since the Game Boy original this version features a completely new set of Pokemon. Many of these are not as well designed as the original group but it does make exploration more interesting. No longer will you enter a cave to be greeted by yet another Zubat or Geodude. It is possible to get some of the older Pokemon once you complete the game or by using some of the bonus features but as per usual most have to be transferred from your save games on previous iterations.

Wrongly looked upon as 'a game for kids' Pokemon remains once the most in depth and strategic RPGs available on any console and with its more streamlined approach the Black or White game are as good a place to start as any.
  62. Jul 23, 2013
    "Pokemon Black Version" is spectacular due to its massive cities, beautiful visuals, and realistic premises. With new additions with seasons, skyscrapers, and roller coasters, "Pokemon Black Version" is a great example of how far the Pokemon game's technology has come. With new and interesting Pokemon, a wonderful villainous team called Team Plasma, and wonderful visuals, "Pokemon Black Version" is the perfect game for Pokemon fans to love. Expand
  63. Jul 23, 2013
    What's not to love?
    The only fault is that you have to face the Elite 4 twice to become champ. Despite that though, Pokemon Black is a fun pokemon game, and easier, but not too easy, training.
  64. Aug 30, 2013
    An essential reboot of the Pokémon handheld titles, Pokémon Black and Pokémon White are not so innovative as they might aspire to be. The same mechanics are utilized, and little to nothing new is brought to the table. Attempting to attract attention of leading the edge in modernization, by adding over a 150 new species to the Pokémon roster, it fails by doing little more than this. Triple battles and rotation battles, while a nice addition, are barely featured and almost a backdoor surprise feature that you don't unearth unless you go looking for them. The Unova region is heavily grotesque in that it fails in its forced marriage of nature and urbanization. Within 30 seconds you are able to travel from a forest, to a bridge, to a metropolis, to a desert. The inspiration of New York City bares little resemblance outside of the trivial skyscrapers and harbors in Castelia City. Perhaps the only redeeming and general progression in the Pokémon series is the beautifully crafted soundtrack. However, outside of this there is little if anything new to the series. Expand
  65. Jan 8, 2014
    A great RPG for the DS, though not as good as it's previous installments. While the gameplay is incredibly familiar and addicting and it has great visuals for the DS, the story itself is meh, especially towards the ending. The music, while good, is pretty forgettable and for a Pokemon game, that's a negative. However, the game itself is very fun and addicting especially with friends, but it is not the best Pokemon installment. Expand
  66. Jan 31, 2014
    Story & Characters: 8/10
    With the improved 3D effect Game Freak is able portray a much more cinematic story than was possible in past games. Unlike past games the villainous gang have an interesting goal other than to simply steal Pokémon out of greed. Team Plasma believes they are good guys trying to protect Pokémon from the cruelty of human ownership. However it doesn’t make much sense
    why they themselves use Pokémon to accomplish this goal. Although this is an interesting twist on the signature Pokémon storyline it is never really developed into a meaningful conclusion.

Like the past few titles the player has more than one rival, a friend from your home town and an evil rival. Black and White takes this further, the player now has two friends who battle and assist the player throughout the game. These characters however are very dull when compared to Wally or Blue. The main villain and rival “N” however is a breath of air with a great back story and interesting dialogue.

Visuals & Sound: 10/10
    Black and White looks radically different to past games in the series introducing 3D like effect perhaps leading up to a 3DS version. This graphical update is the biggest leap in the series since the move from GBC to GBA. These 3D effects push the DS hardware to its limits but makes environments look stunning. However due to the limitations of the DS Pokémon in battles look pixelated and sometimes ugly in battles. The game includes pre-rendered cut scenes at some points in the game which look great but they are rarely shown.

Like every new generation Black and White introduces over 100 new species of Pokémon. However very few of these Pokémon look very impresssive compared to older generations. Although they do not look very appealing it seems to be the most varied generation to date and is not plagued with a particular type such as normal in Red and Blue or water in Ruby and Sapphire.

Throughout the series they have introduced intro animations were Pokémon move briefly when the battle begins only for it to be removed in the next game in the series but brought back later on. These animations return in Black & White and although they slow down battles considerably they are appreciated. Due to the longer animations during battles, random encounters are much more frustrating taking several seconds before you can flee.

Gameplay: 10/10
    Black & White keeps to the signature Pokémon formula. Although it doesn’t bring anything revolutionary to the series it is the most refined and structured Pokémon game yet. These refinements include Pokémon Centres and Poke Marts being combined into a single building and unlimited TM uses. Other than these refinements Black & White adds some slight adjustments to keep the gameplay fresh, it introduces both triple battles and rotating battles. Rotating battles contain 3 Pokémon per side which are switch into a one v one battle each getting a single move before switching, meaning players have to anticipate future switches.

Unfortunately takes you by the hand throughout the campaign introducing you to locations even after you have your first badge. I understand they have this in the game but this shouldn’t go one beyond the first 30 minutes or should at least have some way to skip it. Black & White seems to be the easiest game yet in the series due to less emphasis on team type balancing and a lack of enemy powerhouses (Milktank in Gold and Silver). Continuing with the day and night feature introduced in Generation 2 Black & White introduces seasons alter both the appearance of the environment and the types of Pokémon you can catch.

Multiplayer & Extras: 9/10
    Like the past few entries Black & White have a huge emphasis on player interaction. Early on in the game you are given a C-Gear which allows them to trade and battle with other players. Using friend codes you are able to interact with friends either wirelessly or online. However you are able to trade and battle with random players around the world online making it much more convenient to catch em all. The C-Gear also includes a past by feature which allows the player to exchange information with other players when in range.

Enjoyment: 9/10
    Although Black & White is nothing game changing it an excellent entry into the series continuing to capture the magic that was introduced in Red & Blue. Besides being Pokémon games, Black & White are excellent turn based RPGs with a huge amount of content making them an excellent purchase for any RPG fan.
  67. Oct 13, 2014
    Pokémon that look really ugly, lack of Pokémon from other generations making your team very limited, the worst region which is completely linear and is basically a single line and a very boring post-game. Easily the worst Pokémon game I've ever played and even the better story than usual cannot outweigh the flaws in this one.
  68. Oct 23, 2011

1. Jun 5, 2011
    Learning from the past without ever taking his eyes off the present, this is the pinnacle of the series to date and proof that sometimes you don't need a revolution to give new life to a franchise.
  2. Apr 30, 2011
    Game Freak did it again. Pokemon Black Version is a masterpiece, delivering all the superb gameplay elements that fans of the series learned to love over the years. The only drawback is the dated technology it uses, something that will surely be addressed in the future versions for the 3DS.
  3. Apr 18, 2011
    Actually a Pokémon game with some news. The online modes have been polished, there's new pokémons, quick, better animated battles and better graphics.