8.5

1. May 7, 2012
    Call me insane, but I'm starting to prefer this simple spin off over the already great original series.
    Why the premise and dialogue is adorably cheesy, there's a rather smart and mature story behind it all, which is something Pokemon needs more of. I found myself deeply caring for the characters and plot, which is rare in my case, especially in a kids game. The gameplay could use work, but overall I enjoyed almost everything about this game, a truly underrated title, now if only the 3rd in the series will be in 3d, (and please none of that rumble blast engine crap please.)
  2. Jun 18, 2013
    With this game, Mystery Dungeon puts all other Pokemon spin offs to shame. Mystery Dungeon is improved with more pokemon to play as, larger team space, and an even better plot!
  3. DivineStorm
    Jul 10, 2008
    Its a fun game and has a deep storyline and more pokemon from diamond and pearl in it. It also has many dungeons and you can recruit legendary pokemon in some of the dungeons if you are lucky that is. But there are also downsides: You can't roam in town with other pokemon like in red and blue recue team, you also can't swich from leader like in red and blue rescue team which is Its a fun game and has a deep storyline and more pokemon from diamond and pearl in it. It also has many dungeons and you can recruit legendary pokemon in some of the dungeons if you are lucky that is. But there are also downsides: You can't roam in town with other pokemon like in red and blue recue team, you also can't swich from leader like in red and blue rescue team which is sometimes frustrating and there is not much you can do after you completed the game besides recruiting legendaries and stuff I personally think red/blue rescue team and explorers of time/darkness are evenly matched. Expand
  4. Apr 2, 2014
    This games is absolutely beautiful. The graphics are excellent, the dialogue is BEAUTIFULLY written and it was a very great experience. The partner was the greatest part. He cares about you more than anything in the world, a true friend. This was my first DS Pokemon game,so I know exactly what I'm saying. Check this game out, don't judge it unfairly. You need to judge not just games, butThis games is absolutely beautiful. The graphics are excellent, the dialogue is BEAUTIFULLY written and it was a very great experience. The partner was the greatest part. He cares about you more than anything in the world, a true friend. This was my first DS Pokemon game,so I know exactly what I'm saying. Check this game out, don't judge it unfairly. You need to judge not just games, but experiences and what an experience this game is. Expand
  5. Jun 30, 2014
    Graphics: Very nice graphics (Going by me... Considering it on a DS graphics are very good and I just happen to love the 2D are style )
    Difficult: It tends to be very hard at some points but still very fun
    Game play: The only thing I did not like is how you had to open a menu and choose attack and then choose which attack... It took very long... But besides that this is a very fun game
    Difficult: It tends to be very hard at some points but still very fun
    Story: Very sad, Great story
    Music: Very very good sound tracks
  6. Jul 10, 2011
    Interesting storyline overall, but dated graphics and weird mechanics. Don't play this if you are looking for something that feels like the original games, as it's more of a dungeon crawler. Also the A.I. from your allies will make you cry.
  7. JoeS.
    May 10, 2008
    This is a very poor game with the Pokemon name slapped on it to sell it. The game play is very repetitive, the environments consist of boxes that come in three different shades of brown, and there are only a handful of animations for the moves/attacks. The moves are completely unbalanced, the items do virtually nothing, and all too often you will lose everything anyway. Avoid this Pokemon This is a very poor game with the Pokemon name slapped on it to sell it. The game play is very repetitive, the environments consist of boxes that come in three different shades of brown, and there are only a handful of animations for the moves/attacks. The moves are completely unbalanced, the items do virtually nothing, and all too often you will lose everything anyway. Avoid this Pokemon game, because its not Pokemon. Expand
  8. Aug 25, 2010
    It gets three of that 5 for the pretty good storyline, and some excellent music. Aside from that though, it's a boring game, but will at least last you through the main story, with little replay value beyond that. Very likeable at first, but after completion the dungeon crawling wears thin.
  9. Jun 15, 2011
    Nothing new is here, is just a copy,paste from the previous ones , only putting the new pokemons(old by now,because of black and white version) so thats it.
  10. Mar 30, 2015
    Eigentlich sollte die Aussage "Unendlicher Pokemonspaß" schon reichen ... Der Soundtrack war legendär und die Möglichkeiten riesig . Ein Langzeitspaß sonderesgleichen ;)
  11. Nov 4, 2015
    With Mystery Dungeon Games, this makes ALL other Pokemon games look terrible.
    The AI feels like a true person and friend.
    The dungeons vary in hardness and some are optional.
    I don't understand why this is rated low, it should get 10 from everyone.
    I can't even find bugs in this or something to pick at!
  12. Aug 19, 2016
    Like the first game I have not beaten this game yet, but got somewhere to do a review on it. Like the first it has a really good story. However, the story is also the same thing at start. I know the game get's more interesting as you go on, but it mostly the same. The story is still good to say the least. The gameplay is a different story. The gameplay is almost the same as the first game.Like the first game I have not beaten this game yet, but got somewhere to do a review on it. Like the first it has a really good story. However, the story is also the same thing at start. I know the game get's more interesting as you go on, but it mostly the same. The story is still good to say the least. The gameplay is a different story. The gameplay is almost the same as the first game. All of the problems still remain. Some mini games where added here, but they do not really add anything too the game. The only real thing added to the game is that added outlaw missions; where, the dungeon ends with a boss fight. however, the game is still fun through. The game looks better then the first game with more detail. The music is a step up and sounds up to date; however, the music itself is just ok. There are a few good tracks here and there at least. Overall as a sequel it fails as it improves little over the first game. As a game itself it's great. However, if you don't like see the same thing in a sequel I would not suggest paying a lot for this game or just not play it at all. Expand
  13. Mar 14, 2017
    Content - 10
    Personal Fun - 8
    Difficulty - 6 .
  14. Jun 29, 2017
    This is one of the best game series I've ever played.
    Every Pokémon fan probably wanted at some point to play/be a Pokémon, so this is the game to live this craving.
    Story: This is as deep and complex as it could get for it's target audience, the story is one of the best stories (for me more like the best) you could play through. It stars very calm but builds up good tension, as you
    This is one of the best game series I've ever played.

Story:
    This is as deep and complex as it could get for it's target audience, the story is one of the best stories (for me more like the best) you could play through. It stars very calm but builds up good tension, as you proceed the story you will encounter some quite severe plot twists which aren't as expected as it would be able to tell but there still are hints hidden to foresee some of the future happenings. The humor of the game is also great (exactly my taste) and always get me to at least crack a bright smile. But as bright as the humor so dark will it go down the emotional spectrum fury, fear, anger, sadness. It will get your feelings down but they will come back up even brighter every time. (That is how every game should achieve it)
    -short summary:
    It is a stormy night thunder is roaring the storm was so heavy that you were separated from your
    partner. As you wake up you lost your memory of everything but your name, but a helpful Pokémon tries to get you back up. A group of Pokémon steals his special stone (Relic Fragment), so you team up to get his Stone back. Afterwards you group up as a Rescue Team at the local Rescue Guild to help other Pokémon and reveal the secret of his "Relic Fragment", as the time starts to stop in some regions your Guild is going to investigate the reason behind the sudden stop of time. So you and your partner go on an unforgettable journey which is bonding both stronger together as you go along.

Game play:

The game play is quite simple, it is a turn based dungeon crawler with random generated dungeons.
    If you move, attack or use an item one turn goes over your enemies move/attack and allover again.
    Your moves are mostly known from the main series with some special mystery dungeon exclusive moves, which exist to give a bit more variation of the AoE.
    Like in its predecessor you won't evolve if you hit the level your Pokémon would evolve normally so it gets a bit harder to the end of the main story.
    If you or your partner goes K.O. you will be ported out of the dungeon but you will lose all the money you carry with you (You could store it at the bank) and half of your items.
    The way you earn points for your rescue rank, items, money and some secret things is the known job system: you search a job of the info board and either rescue, escort, search/bring an item to a Pokémon. But you could also hunt villains (bad Pokémon mostly thieves and -organized- criminality) to boost your rank and make the world a safer place.

The game play is quite repetitive, yes, but you are rewarded by the amazing story an the tension it builds up so it wont fall into the weight much, I loved it nevertheless.
    Music:

The Soundtrack of this game is amazing it pretty much doubles the intensity of the story so that in combination with the wonderfully written story it was until today the only game that made me cry, which is impressive because not even Life is Strange could get me to it even though it would not be a shame to do but it just quite couldn't.
    The Music is fitting for every scene it has all flavors for every situation and it is so well sounding that I almost listen to some of the songs on a daily basis.
    ------
    So if you like Pokémon you should definitely play this game.
    If you want to experience a nice story and you don't mind experiencing it in the Pokémon World, you should definitely play this game.

The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series is my favorite game series and it has the best right to be, because every title I played told me a great story of which this game had the best.
    Final Thoughts

Only negative point is that I was never able to get everything done in the game because I wanted to replay the main and after story too much and even after the like 15th play-through it is still a brilliant game best 40€ my parents could have invested for me. Nowadays I would be willed to pay even more for this totally underrated masterpiece. (seriously why were "Critics" such dicks about this game they clearly did not seem to play the actual game just reviewing and weighting aspects of the game to fit in their rating scheme but don't watch the game as a whole, which makes me very sad about it)

I might be a huge fan and virtually blind but the game gives you enough reasons to become a fan.

#14 Most Discussed DS Game of 2008
#6 Most Shared DS Game of 2008

1. A complex and challenging dungeon crawler that has a lot to offer. Even though the dungeon crawling aspect is very repetitive, the connectivity features, the vast number and variety of Pokemon, Wonder Mail, hours of gameplay, difficulty, etc. makes this pure kiddy-crack!
    It’s a dated game design that’s been recycled out of an underwhelming original game from a year ago.
    If you've wanted to play Rogue-like games in the past, but found them to be a bit too unforgiving, this is an exceedingly good alternative to look into.