8.5

1. Jan 9, 2011
    You can't dislike this game, but it is pretty much the same as Explorers of Darkness and Time, with the welcome added addition of an added surprise now and then. The stroy line thickens, wnd whilst the actual exploring dosen't create that much of a thrill, it's worth buying.
  2. Dec 8, 2013
  3. Jan 1, 2012
    I came into this game as my introduction to the Mystery Dungeon games so I did not know what to expect.
    The game combines elements of Pokemon into the old school concepts of Mystery dungeon quite well and makes for a truly amazing experience. The amount of freedom you get with tackling missions, especially later in the game is absolutely amazing. The randomly generated missions and
    dungeons give this game near infinite relay value and difficulty can range from simplicity to near impossible to appeal to all skill levels of players beautifully. Wifi rescue missions, mission passwords and unlockable side-scenarios add even further replayablility to the game. The music and graphics can differ from beautiful to bland in different areas of the game. If you are a fan of Pokemon and/or Mystery Dungeon games or just strategy RPG games in general try it out, if these things don't appeal to you. it might be best to avoid this one. Expand
  4. Jun 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For the Pokemon fans who don't like the RPGs this is definitely the game for them. Its emotional and its just... fun. Its not the best game ever but if I could I would make this game be the number 2 or 3 game ever. Although it gets annoying and frustrating after playing one dungeon then dieing its fun fighting those big bosses like primal dialga or darkrai because it sends a burst of adrenalin through your blood. And to top it off it has epic boss music and a totally great soundtrack. Its also fun recruiting people and evolving them once you unlock luminous springs. So I just recommend this to anyone. Expand
  5. Mar 23, 2014
    This game is a beautiful game, pokemon or not. The soundtrack is amazing and touching, the storyline is deep and great. The game-play can be challenging at times, but with the right tactics you should progress through the story just fine. This game is a definite 10 of 10 for me and i must recommend buying it.
  6. Jan 27, 2014
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of sky is one of my favorite Pokemon games, as well as the game that got me into the Mystery dungeon series. A definite must for anyone who enjoys Pokemon games. Mind you, no game is without flaws, and this game is no exception, the only two flaws i can see are the game becoming somewhat dull after the post story and the fact that some battles and dungeons can be almost unbearably difficult at times to those who are unprepared. other than that, PMD: Explorers of sky is a near-flawless game, if you like Pokemon, you will enjoy this game! Expand
  7. Jan 20, 2012
    Pokemon Myster Dungeon Explorers of Sky is a good game,but they didn`t use the potential of DS System,and its like a GBA Game instead,and everything about this game was repetitive.But the story makes the game great,i enjoy over and over till i realize i like the game it should be.Recommended for all of those who like Pokemon games,try it out and you will see that this game was fun.
  8. May 6, 2014
    Well, first of all, I'm guessing that the bad reviews, must be because its an improved version of PMD:Explorers of Time and Darkness. Because, even though many things don't change, it really adds some really neat improvement to those two games.

With that said, I'm not rating this game based on its value, or based on whether you bought Time and Darkness before, because I haven't.

With
    that out of the way, I must say that, this game is fantastic ! But I have to address a few points first.

First of all, its a slow paced game, like many proper RPGs, and if you don't give it a chance or are not patient enough, you'll never get to really experience this game. I'll admit, the first time I played it, I got through the first 2 dungeon and put the game back in its box for a few weeks. But then, after stumbling on comments about how great the story in this game was, it revived my interest. And I'm so grateful it did !

Then, the controls are slightly odd, and not very intuitive at first, so there is a rather steep learning curve at first. It took me a while to figure out you could use moves instead of the weak last resort "A" button attack. And it took me even more time to figure out you could bind a move.. And the worst part is that the controls were written all along on the other screen by default.. But once you got it figured out, it works pretty well !

Alright, so what does this game has to offer ?

Plot:
    The plot, is probably my favorite thing about this game ! Its the same as in Time and Darkness though, but I didn't play those. To some it might appear at first to be one of those games made for very young kids mainly with cheerful themes and with a bland and simple plot , but there is so much more than that !

The first few chapters are simply to setup for what will happen later. Its meant to create a sense of security and make you develop your "relationship" with the cast. In other word, make you care about this little universe, the wigglytuff guild, the other exploration teams(shootout to team poochy even though they didn't ever do much ! :3 ), your main character, and more importantly your sidekick.

Your sidekick is probably the most complex character in this game. And by the end of the game he's / she's going to be the most developed character. At first, he/she can't stand on its own, is fearful of everything, has no real passions in his/her life. But slowly it changes throughout the story.
    And its made in such a way that, you can't help but to approve of his/her improvements. Not to mention that, the main character acts like a "big brother" / "big sister" and support the sidekick throughout his/her ordeals to get him/her to improve subtly each times.
    The sidekick eventually gets more and more grateful, which is quite touching at times.

But once you think you've seen everything, things begin to go from bad to worst, and something magical happens.
    You realize that, you now care about those characters and don't want to see harm come their way. And that's something very few games, movies, and books ever pull off !

And the ending is truly well executed. Its rare nowadays that I can say a game's ending left me mostly satisfied. But, while PMD:EoS doesn't innovate or is massively original in its ending, the delivery is truly nearly flawless ! And that's all I really care about in a story's ending really !
    Its guaranteed to at the very least leave you with a lump in your throat, and at worst have you bawling like a little kid..
    I know, because I ended up with the later option... Truly, I don't think I've been that sad about a video game since Mass Effect 3's and Metal Gear Solid 4's endings.. And honestly, Mass Effect 3's ending wasn't that great...

Soundtrack:
    The music outside of Treasure Town is truly wonderful, powerful, varied, and full of surprises ! It can go from the cheery happy music from Treasure town, to the epic of Craggy Coast, to the adrenaline filled boss battles, to the doomsday eerie music of the late game segments !

Gameplay:
    I'm running out of space for writing so lets keep this short. The gameplay is satisfactory ! At first you got a limited access to all the possible things you can do, but later on several new things are unlocked and they add depth to the gameplay. Monster houses are one of my favorite things ! I know I'm being a little sadomasochist here, but you can't help but feel kinda badass / proud to clean a entire room filed with tough hostile pokemon, using only your prized pokemon protege, and working out a decent strategy !

A few good tips about this game:
    - You can't ever be too over leveled ! Sure common enemies go down easily in one shot if you're lvl 50, but the later part of the game just don't give a crap about your level, and you'll end up in the red fairly often !
    - Then, always bring an escape orb ! Always !
    - Bring gummies to spinda to get the most out of them! And give them to your main character and sidekick mainly, until the post-story !
  9. Nov 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. A very good game, liked it a lot, graphics were decent, story was awesome and it had a decent replay ability, because every time you start with a different pokemon Collapse
  10. May 12, 2013
    Everybody says Pokemon is a bitterly average series nowadays, but this title is a far cry from the main series, and I can recommend it to anybody, even those who hate the main series line of games. People moan about the appearance of the game, but in this case, the graphics don't really eat away at the experience, in fact the art style accompanies the gameplay, story, music, and overall feel of the game. It utilizes the capabilities of the DS much better than the main games and it definitely stands far above most, if not all DS games I've played. It's a 10 overall, and I don't care how much controversy this stirs up, the decision was mine here. Expand
  11. Jul 1, 2013
    What kind of child didn't want to be right next to their favorite video game character? Here, Game Freak gives you a chance to. You start off answering some questions, by the way I got Eevee, to determine what pokémon you are. If you answered truthfully, you might find the game describing who you were. Then, you were thrown into the game. You are started with some startling text. It is a conversation between two people, or pokémon, and someone couldn't hold on.

You are introduced to your partner, mine was Vulpix, who is pacing around and gets scared by the voice in the grate.

Only with you, does your partner muster up the courage to become an explorer. I grew to love my partner as a friend. But the ending. There is no future for you, so you end up getting wiped from the face of the Earth. You knew it was coming. But when your partner finds out, she he breaks down in tears and begs you not to leave. After you disappear, your partner forces themselves to move on, to tell your story, the story of the sacrifice you made. Dialga feels your partner's pain and suffering from the Imperial Tower. "I have felt your pain and suffering from here... If Rylee (the name you entered) wishes to come back as well. He she will come back..."

This game made me cry. Any game, in my book, that makes me cry is beyond amazing. Game Freak, you deserve a medal for this amazing game.
  12. Aug 1, 2014
    I joined this site to say that this is the most engaging game I've ever played. I am not a huge gamer (I'm in my late 20's) but I enjoy RPG types. Despite enjoying them I almost never have completed a game, they get really hard or they just get too repetitive. This one was not. The story was compelling and emotional. I have never been invested in characters in a game before this one, and at one point I possibly teared up (and no, I am not the type to cry watching movies).

I haven't played its predecessors, but I think of this like main Pokemon games that are designed to be released in a set of three; they all have a lot in common. I do not see why that should give this one such a low rating -- I do not see Pokemon Gold or Silver getting a low rating just because the other is almost identical in every way. If you're hesitating on the game because of that, then don't! I'd say this is like the Pokemon Crystal to Gold and Silver. AKA: The one I wait to buy instead of the other two!
  13. Sep 18, 2014
    How this game got a score of 54 by critics, is beyond me. This game is in my opinion actually very good. The story is the best of any Pokemon game ever, and the gameplay is fun, even if the graphics really aren't that great.
  14. Nov 27, 2012

1. I just can't recommend Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky to anyone that has played the previous games in the series. It looks like a GBA game, and is chock full of lazy and somewhat dated gameplay.
  2. While Explorers of Sky would be a decent game if it were judged in a vacuum, when viewed alongside Explorers of Time / Darkness, there simply isn't enough unique, quality content to make it relevant. This is perhaps one of the worst values in gaming I've ever seen.
  3. The story isn't interesting enough to keep you involved, and the gameplay doesn't elevate past mashing attacks for combat. All together, it's a disappointing title, and not one that I suggest checking out.