8.4

1. Apr 8, 2015
    Pokemon Platinum and Gen 4 in general, Is average. It's not the best by any measure, and its not the worst ( Black and White still hold the throne) I've played this game over at lest 8 times, and I've done everything from casual runs, to Nuzlockes and speed runs of it.
    Pokemon platinum and Gen 4 fixed physical and special moves, Moves are no longer physical/special based on their type, Which is a major improvement. Team galactic can make you laugh occasionally, and the story in general is okay. Gen 4 heavily improved the multiplayer aspect of this franchise.
    Where the game goes wrong, however is the computer AI. The AI knows what move you're going to use on them, and they act accordingly which feels like cheating and gets quite infuriating at times. The AI's battle strategy also is incredibly infuriating as battles that should end in less then 5 turns take 30 or so more because the AI loves to lower your stats whenever possible.
    Platinum is the hardest game in the franchise, and I HIGHLY do not recommend this game for starters! If the AI having telekinesis wasn't annoying enough, The moves the trainers pokemon have can surprise you out of nowhere, Such as with Cyrus's earthquake Gyrados. Cynthia is also the hardest champion yet, and will wreck the best of players.
    The graphics are slightly improved, and are semi-3d. Nothing too major which some people may find offensive, Graphics don't really bother me.
    You might want to consider playing Platinum/Diamond/Pearl on a DS you don't care about, Since this game will have you infuriated with some of the crap it pulls on you. Gen 4 isn't the worst gen, nor is it the best. It's not particularly memorable for anything except its legendary difficulty, and it follows the basic formula of the rest of the games.

Off Topic Alert!
    "omg the gameplay never changes WAAAAAAAAH" It's a F******g RPG, What do you expect them to do, Make a first person shooter of pokemon? Add flying cars, Bazooka's, and airstrikes? get out of here with that crap. If you don't like the gameplay, Pokemon or RPG's in general are not for you.
  2. Dec 5, 2014
    I am The Destroyer. I will break games, complain about the littlest detail, and tell you whether or not you should buy this game. A lot of things to say but can't due to the 5000 character limit.

1. Story The story follows Lucas (if you picked Male) or Dawn (if you picked Female) as they try to outdo their childhood friend, Barry, in completing the pokedex; and then eventually race

1. Story
    The story follows Lucas (if you picked Male) or Dawn (if you picked Female) as they try to outdo their childhood friend, Barry, in completing the pokedex; and then eventually race each other to who can become Pokemon champion. As the player journeys along; they have to battle Gym Leaders, grow stronger with their Pokemon, and deal with a villainous organization called Galactic, who feel it is their right to alter the entire universe. Not much more plot can be given away without spoiling, but this story is going to take you by surprise.

2. Graphics and Visuals
    Some of the animations for attacks feels like it's a step backwards, while some animations are a step forwards. Another confusion is how you'll see is how the graphics outside of battle look pixelated, but when you enter battle the graphics suddenly upgrade to console-worthy. Mostly unbalanced...

3. Gameplay
    Gameplay refers to the Battle System, Customization & Level Up, and various areas you explore within the game. Put it all together and it's awesome!

-Battle System-
    This is where you're gonna have the most fun. You'll begin the game with only one Pokemon of your choice. The only way to get more on your team is to catch them in the wild using Pokeballs. They'll be the only tool you can use for catching in the beginning, but more variety will open up overtime. Be careful though, because if another trainer sees you outside of town they may challenge you to a Pokemon battle with no way for you to refuse. When in battle, you have the choice of picking 1 of 4 moves, using an item, switching Pokemon, or running away (only works during wild encounters). To win a battle, you must deplete the HP of your foe's Pokemon through your Pokemon's moves. There will be plenty of battles to keep you on your toes.

-Customization-
    The customization is there! You can build your team anyway you desire by choosing your Pokemon and their moves as they get stronger. There's also a few more customization options which you'll have to get far enough in the game to discover.

-Exploration-
    The exploration is acceptable, but you'll get this feeling of sensation that there could have been more in terms of obstacles, puzzles, and even boss battles. Near the end, it will become bland & boring enough that you'll just want to speed-run over to the next town for your next badge.

4. Soundtrack
    The soundtrack is above average. The music composers have really earned their phrase this time. You'll come back listening to more, and might even stop mid-game just to listen.

5. Personal Enjoyment
    What I really love about Nintendo is that they know how to program their games. They also treat everyone by focussing on gameplay before story, so it makes it feel like it's worth your money when you do a second playthrough. And there's so much you can do in this game that it makes it worth every bit of your money. I got my 70 hours worth.
    My only complaint is that Nintendo Wi-Fi was shut down since writing this review, so there's no more online play, making it very difficult to get any of the Pokemon who are required to be traded in order to evolve. I also dislike how you need GBA cartridges of other Pokemon games for specific Pokemon to appear in Platinum at all.

6. Overall Verdict
    This game definitely holds replay value. It also manages to give you a satisfiying ending after all the hardwork put in. And that is why Pokemon Platinum deserves a 9 out of 10! This is the best game I've ever played for Nintendo DS thus far, and is a must-buy, especially for those people who have yet to move onto the next generation. Even then, Pokemon Platinum is a game that should be saved instead of destroyed.
  3. Oct 13, 2014
    The best Pokémon game with the best region in terms of structure, the best rival, the best music, the best champion and a decent enough post-game. A really complete package. Moreover, 4th gen has the best starters and Pokémon designs imo, so you really cannot go wrong with this one.
  4. May 21, 2014
    AWSOME FUN LONG IT WAS SOOO GOOD I PUT INTO OVER 100 HOURS INTO IT! ITS THE ONLY POKEMON GAME THAT MAKES ME WANT TO see THEM ALL! BETTER THAN OTHERS CAUSE IT HAS FASTER BATTLE THING AND MORE STUFF TO DO!
  5. May 9, 2014
    Pokemon Platinum corrected many issues present in the previous installments Diamond and Pearl, like fixing the shortage of Pokemon (the Pokemon the Gym Leaders and Elite Four used in Diamond and Pearl were horrendous), and the game also runs faster, as opposed to the yawn-inducing processing times of the previous installments. There are nice additions onto the story from Diamond and PearlPokemon Platinum corrected many issues present in the previous installments Diamond and Pearl, like fixing the shortage of Pokemon (the Pokemon the Gym Leaders and Elite Four used in Diamond and Pearl were horrendous), and the game also runs faster, as opposed to the yawn-inducing processing times of the previous installments. There are nice additions onto the story from Diamond and Pearl as well, like new character appearances, making the story tighter and further clarifying the purpose/significance of the Legendary Pokemon. Likewise, there are plethora of new Pokemon, including those with new, fresh, and exciting cross-generational evolutions in the region's Pokedex - much more appropriate than the Pokedex in Diamond and Pearl.

Long story short, Platinum unlocked the fresh potential that Diamond and Pearl tossed out the window. An amazing game, especially if you have not played the previous versions.
  6. Mar 10, 2014
    Best Pokemon game ever definitely worth the money. I will never sell it. To rare, rarely ever get amazing games like this. Its graphics were amazing for its time, could a been better but was great.
  7. Jan 9, 2014
    This is what i consider to be the perfect Pokemon game. It took everything Diamond and Pearl did right and perfected it in every regard. Probably my favorite handheld game ever.
  8. Jan 4, 2014
    A Classic,The soundtrack and storyline are unforgettable. And you can catch some brilliant pokemon. The new distortion world makes for a fun new part of the game. The updated sprites are cool too. So this game is a must-have even though it's quite old now
  9. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (1/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2)

Gameplay (1/2)

Visuals/Story (1/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (1/2)

Wildcard (0)

10. Jul 23, 2013
    "Pokemon Platinum Version" is a bit of a disappointment, similar to "Pokemon Emerald", as it has few to little game changes and a similar plot from the original games. Despite this, the Pokemon world is still enjoyable to venture through and it is still wonderful to play.
  11. Jun 15, 2013
    Before you hate me for liking newer gens and not your precious "generation", i have reasoning. This game has a crime organization with the most intimidating leader of the series, made bad pokemon have good evolution (Togetic to Togekiss, Yanma to Yanmega, etc.) and stopped fire punch being a freaking special attack. It even updated the story line from diamond/pearl and made one of the bestBefore you hate me for liking newer gens and not your precious "generation", i have reasoning. This game has a crime organization with the most intimidating leader of the series, made bad pokemon have good evolution (Togetic to Togekiss, Yanma to Yanmega, etc.) and stopped fire punch being a freaking special attack. It even updated the story line from diamond/pearl and made one of the best legendaries out there, Girantina. I could go on and on, but It would take too long so just play the game yourself. It's easily my favorite pokemon game. Expand
  12. May 28, 2013
    Pokemon Platinum is my personal favorite Pokemon game and my personal favorite DS game. This game has the best team, the best region, the best music, the most original Pokemon and the most hilarious rival EVER. Simply amazing.
  13. May 17, 2013
    this is my least favorite pokemon game. Now, before you kill me, I would like to explain. It is not as much the games fault then the sinnoh pokemon designs. they all seem VERY uninspired. Most of them are pokemon from other regions, and when they are not, they are very bland. my favorite example is buizel (Yipee! ANOTHER seal pokemon!). Also, this game has a crap TON of roamingthis is my least favorite pokemon game. Now, before you kill me, I would like to explain. It is not as much the games fault then the sinnoh pokemon designs. they all seem VERY uninspired. Most of them are pokemon from other regions, and when they are not, they are very bland. my favorite example is buizel (Yipee! ANOTHER seal pokemon!). Also, this game has a crap TON of roaming legendaries, which is a pain in the butt to catch. And don't think I am putting on nostalgia glasses for this one: this is the first Poekmon game I played, and i first played it at age seven. I loved it then, but recognized it was worse than pokemon leaf green, which i palyed aftrewards. I have recently replayed it, and I realized it was the worst one. Please note that this is still a decent game but only because pokemon is freakin' awesome! Expand
  14. Apr 21, 2013
    Generation 4 is the best gen to me, and this is why. The Pokemon all have awesome design, no ice creams or garbage bags. The competition is intense. The legendaries are too weak, but I don't use legendaries anyways. This game is everything I love about Pokemon
  15. Feb 12, 2013
    The third Pokemon game I played. My thought-meh. While it is a good game none- the less, there still is a few negatives. One: the Pokéradar. two: When your Pokemon team are in the mid 80s in terms of levels, the Pokemon League is not challenging at all! Three: The Distortion World did not have to be made so hard. And four: It just doesn't feel like a Pokmon game. But that is a good thingThe third Pokemon game I played. My thought-meh. While it is a good game none- the less, there still is a few negatives. One: the Pokéradar. two: When your Pokemon team are in the mid 80s in terms of levels, the Pokemon League is not challenging at all! Three: The Distortion World did not have to be made so hard. And four: It just doesn't feel like a Pokmon game. But that is a good thing as well, because the games darkness is what made me enjoy this game, which is unusual ground for the Pokemon series. I mean, watch the intro cinematic! Another thing that makes this game good is the amount of awesome Pokemon in Gen 4: Infernape, Torterra, Garchomp, Lucario and Magnezone to name a few. Another good thing about this game is the amount of Pokemon you can catch in the main story is INCREDIBLE! That said, if you are a die hard Pokemon fan like me, pick it up. If you are in to Pokemon, buy it if you want to. In my opinion, not the best Pokemon game Expand
  16. Jan 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pokemon Platinum has lived up to my expectations as an excellent Pokemon experience. The game consists of all the features that have appeared in Diamond and Pearl, (such as Nintendo Wi-Fi connection battles and trades, new Pokemon species, and the battle tower) and expands and improves on them. In Diamond and Pearl, you were limited to battling and trading by yourself in the single player storyline, or battling and trading against other players across the world. However in Platinum, you now have the choice of also battling alongside friends throughout the new battle frontier facility, or if you don't feel like fighting, you can take a break with your friends, and cook different flavored Pokemon treats (called poffins) over the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection.

Aside from these online features, there is also another newly added feature called the Wi-Fi plaza, which allows you to meet up with people online, without exchanging those bothersome friend codes. Of course, since there are no friend codes required for this activity, there is unfortunately no battling or trading, so this mode gets a little boring after a while.

However, the reason why I bought Platinum was mainly because I believe that Platinum is the only Pokemon game that gives you the "complete package." In Platinum, EVERY SINGLE POKEMON is available for you to catch, train, or trade with. The reason for this is because Platinum features a variety of Pokemon from ALL four of the Pokemon generations, and features them in the wild for you to capture. This means that you are able to construct the "Pokemon team of your dreams" very easily, since a lot of the Pokemon are available without having to trade. Of course, Platinum does not have all the Pokemon available in the wild, so there is reason to trade with other people, and that adds to the total experience in the long run.

In conclusion, Platinum is truthfully the game that everyone interested in Pokemon needs to get. It features all the features of Diamond and Pearl, plus more. If you could only buy 1 Pokemon game, then I would highly suggest buying Platinum above the rest. It is a game that will please old and new gamers alike.
  17. Dec 29, 2012
    It's everything a Pokemon fan can ask for, and its the ideal starting point for newcomers to the series. The difficulty level is perfect, the replay value is endless, and its welcomingly formulaic.
  18. Oct 29, 2012
    Not the best in total of the Pokemon franchise, however hugely better than Diamond and Pearl. The Pokemon stay the same, but with has a better story line. It was easier to get a lot of Pokemon, and at least you could move on after defeating the Champion rather than seeing every Pokemon.
  19. May 7, 2012
    Although it doesn't add much to the sequel, Pokemon Platinum is an upgrade version of Diamond and Pearl. The Gym leaders are beefed up. A couple a new bonus's are added and a new dark world is unfolded when you go after Giratina. Also the Elite Four is beefed up and stands as the hardest Elite Four in the Pokemon series. This is the last best game of the series so I highly recommend youAlthough it doesn't add much to the sequel, Pokemon Platinum is an upgrade version of Diamond and Pearl. The Gym leaders are beefed up. A couple a new bonus's are added and a new dark world is unfolded when you go after Giratina. Also the Elite Four is beefed up and stands as the hardest Elite Four in the Pokemon series. This is the last best game of the series so I highly recommend you buy this game. After all, Black and White were disasters and had the worst Elite Four in the franchise. Expand
  20. Mar 18, 2012
    Disappointing. The only reason why this game received such generous scores is because of its never changing formula. The storyline is still the same as Diamond and Pearl, however, with an extra 'chapter.' It gets boring that you don't bother paying attention. Sound is good, but not magnificent. The graphics only shines during one section of the game and really adds new innovation to theDisappointing. The only reason why this game received such generous scores is because of its never changing formula. The storyline is still the same as Diamond and Pearl, however, with an extra 'chapter.' It gets boring that you don't bother paying attention. Sound is good, but not magnificent. The graphics only shines during one section of the game and really adds new innovation to the Pokemon series. Lastly, gameplay has not changed one bit. Use the control pad to move and hold B to run. Press a few buttons or tap the screen to order your Pokemon around simply becomes boring after 10 Pokemon games, with the same gameplay. Pokemon Platinum may well worth your time if you decided not to pick up Diamond or Pearl, however, it is surely a waste of time and money if you did. Expand
  21. Feb 2, 2012
    Unnecessary addition to the Poke franchise , with few changes and part lacking. They made this move before with Crystal and Emerald version so for me is no surprise that we can see another addition for the White/Black version. While not disappointed in all the senses I'm sure they can do better than this. ( I'm looking at you Game Freak )
  22. Jan 20, 2012
    I would say it isn't boring. Iike the raining snows kind of thing and the newer and badder bad guys. The story is insane and it's much better than black and white. I must say no one can surpass its greatness. No one!!!
  23. Nov 26, 2011
    A good solid role playing game, but it's the exactly the same formula as all previous Pokémon games. The battle scenes work okay, but they're just the same as on the old monochrome GameBoy, only in colour and with better sound. It's lazy of Nintendo to keep this the same. Also the dialog goes on and on sometimes, repeating the same thing over and over, or just prattling onA good solid role playing game, but it's the exactly the same formula as all previous Pokémon games. The battle scenes work okay, but they're just the same as on the old monochrome GameBoy, only in colour and with better sound. It's lazy of Nintendo to keep this the same. Also the dialog goes on and on sometimes, repeating the same thing over and over, or just prattling on about unimportant boring stuff like "Be careful in the long grass" for the fifth time! Good points are that it has a many many Pokémon to catch and can be very engrossing. Expand
  24. Nov 8, 2011
    It was far beyond what I expected. Traveling through the entire Sinnoh region is a long challenge. The additions like the Distortion World and the Battle Frontier make it even better. It is an unforgetable game.
  25. Jul 10, 2011
    Pokémon Platinum has a lot to show. Many improvements were made compared to the previous generation, and the heavily modified storyline compared to Diamond and Perl make this game a very good addition if you are into the series. The best part of it is the virtually infinite replay value, with many options such as online play and Battle Frontier. Sadly though, europeans mustPokémon Platinum has a lot to show. Many improvements were made compared to the previous generation, and the heavily modified storyline compared to Diamond and Perl make this game a very good addition if you are into the series. The best part of it is the virtually infinite replay value, with many options such as online play and Battle Frontier. Sadly though, europeans must suffer from an empty Game Corner, issue that was thankfully addressed in the Generation II remakes. Expand
  26. Apr 18, 2011
    Reviewing Platinum, Diamond, and Pearl overall, they're simply unimpressive and formulaic, recycling far too familiar material from the previous games. Pros: Polished graphics and visuals; new Pokemon and features; Nintendo WFC make battling and trading funner than ever. Cons: Formulaic; generic; too many recycled elements from its predecessors make this trio feel far from original.
  27. cfh
    Dec 26, 2010
    I loved this game you can go onto the internet, there are alot of pokemon, and there is alot of adventure. The only bad thing is that once you complete the game there is nothing to do, you could battle the Elite Four, but after awhile of the Elite Four, you get really bored of the game.
  28. Aug 25, 2010
    Completely useless if you arn't a Pokemon lunatic and have Diamond/ Pearl, but since when did non-Pokemon fans buy D/P. Though while it's a small update, it's a crackingly good update, with the new Battle Frontier and the rather clever Distortion World. Pokemon die-hards are used to only subtle remakes, and this, unfortunately, is yet another subtle one, but lets you enjoy that adventureCompletely useless if you arn't a Pokemon lunatic and have Diamond/ Pearl, but since when did non-Pokemon fans buy D/P. Though while it's a small update, it's a crackingly good update, with the new Battle Frontier and the rather clever Distortion World. Pokemon die-hards are used to only subtle remakes, and this, unfortunately, is yet another subtle one, but lets you enjoy that adventure again,but slightly different from last time. Expand
  29. Dec 29, 2012

Even though it's not a huge advancement over Diamond and Pearl, it does have a larger list of features. The single player adventure has a bit more to explore, and more importantly the online component is fleshed out a bit more compared to the 2007 releases.
  2. If you haven't played Diamond/Pearl and are looking for a good RPG, Platinum is absolutely the way to go. [Apr 2009, p.90]
  3. Sure Pokémon Platinum may not exactly seem like the manliest game, but with a sound battle system, a lengthy main quest, and a variety of multiplayer options, it may just be the best hand held RPG available right now.