Pokemon White Version 2 DS

8.5

1. Oct 9, 2012
    I would love to give this game more than a 7, but sadly I just can't. The reason why is not because this isn't a solid RPG or its just an average game but its because Gamefreak continue to play it safe. Out of these 'Version 2's' I expected something more innovative, new and fresh. The game has a nice presentation style and graphics package for a DS game but the problem is with the sameI would love to give this game more than a 7, but sadly I just can't. The reason why is not because this isn't a solid RPG or its just an average game but its because Gamefreak continue to play it safe. Out of these 'Version 2's' I expected something more innovative, new and fresh. The game has a nice presentation style and graphics package for a DS game but the problem is with the same tried and tested formula which although is very solid for many fans others will be less satisfied. Sadly I'm one of those who are less satisfied which is dissapointing as this is a franchise I love. But above all else the same tried and tested formula doesn't excite me anymore. + If your a diehard fan of the franchise this game will still be a solid, and long enough experience
    + Nice presentation style for a DS game
    + RE-introduction of some staple mainstays.
    - Not deviating enough from the formula of Black and White
    +/- Same old Pokemon
    In summary a solid game that has hours of content but never really reaches the levels of excitement and fun seen in previous Pokemon titles and feels a bit like a retread through Unova. Still worth a buy if you love Pokemon though.
  2. Sep 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The general story is ok but the way you progress forward is just unimaginative and awful; In all other pokemon games there would be a few instances where your path would be blocked by a HM obstacle or other special circumstance that was part of the story i.e a snorlax, sudowoodo etc. Then you would do logical things to proceed. In this game you have no idea what you have to trigger to get the boat captain to talk to you or move that one guy that keeps blocking your path for no reason.
    The range of pokemon are below average; all the new imaginative ones are only accessible after the league. The majority available at badges 1-6 are boring plant types, stupid ice cream cones etc. There are a few decent ones from older generations (that you may already be bored with) early game but you know everyone else will train up the same ones; arcanine, lucario, the ground-dragon. There's a lame array of flying types, another pidgey clone, an aerodactyl variant. The only other legitimate choices to experiment with are a shiny reindeer, the zaroak dark type and a cool looking electric bug.
    I hope the reason this was so lame -reusing the same assets as the previous game- was because most of their team was busy working on X&Y all along
  3. LHy
    Sep 28, 2013
    Enjoyed it all around except I was not really keen on the story line, it could of been a lot better in my opinion, but other than that, pretty okay game, try it out.
  4. Nov 4, 2012
    Pokemon White 2

Pokemon White 2

Yes, yes. We get it. Read any review of any Pokemon game ever and you will hear much of the same thing. It's just the same game. The same old formula, re-skinned and re-released to try and make more money. They're not just milking the cow dry but beating it with a stick. And to that I have to agree. In the newest installment, you won't find anything that re-invents the series. This game feels and plays just like all of the other Pokemon games. that being said it should be easy to decide if this game is something worth your time or money on. if you've liked Pokemon in the past, chances are you will like this game. If you've never enjoyed them, this isn't going to change your mind. What it does have, is enough new content and challenges for someone who has never missed an installment to enjoy, as well as give newcomers a fresh perspective of the series.

Right off the bat this game feels a little different. It's not the exact cut and paste adventure that most of the games have become. You start off in a larger city. A professor doesn't give you a Pokemon, her assistant does. I realize that these are minor differences that wouldn't even be worth mentioning as a change in most game series, but it does make the game feel fresh. The first big change comes fast, however. The Pokemon you will find inhabiting the first few areas are not what you would expect. Instead of a bird and some other rat or beaver from the current generation, you are confronted by all sorts of Pokemon spanning multiple generations. I found myself feeling anxious every time I entered a battle, wondering what the next monster will be. This is a feeling that, in my opinion, has not been felt by gamers since the first installment of the series. Whenever you can capture a feeling like that for the first time in years, you have to give the developer props. After that the game continues on like you would expect it to. Catching new companions, fighting gym leaders, being the good guy. You've done this all before and the game does feel a little easy at times. The story isn't going to grab you're interest either. A new feature that seems to really make the game more enjoyable is the medal system. Aka- achievements. There are around 200 in game medals that as a player, gave me a reason to want to get to the end game faster. As in most Pokemon games, a good deal of the game occurs after you become champion and defeat the elite four. The battle subway makes a return, as does the Black City/White Forest from the last game. These give players who want a challenge just that. Only the most carefully bred and raised Pokemon will be able to beat the later levels of the subway. Mix that with the ability to change the difficulty, a first ever for the series, and you won't be cruising through these parts.
    Now I've saved the best for last, in my opinion. The Pokemon World Tournament, or PWT, is a new feature of the game and one of the best ever introduced into the series. You are able to enter a single elimination tournament with virtually every gym leader, elite four, and champion spanning all five generations. Remember how great it felt to beat Giovanni back in the day? Want a chance to go up against Brock or Misty again? Their all here and man are they ready for a fight. If you thought the battle subway was hard, you haven't seen anything. The amount of strategies and thought required here trumps even the most in depth and complicated RPGs to date. If you want a challenge, they given it to you. Wrapping it up now, this is a good game. It's slow at times and is, for the most part, the same game that you have played ten times before. But if you're a fan of the series and want a challenge, there may not be a better Pokemon game for you. 9 out of 10

#2 Most Discussed DS Game of 2012
#4 Most Shared DS Game of 2012

1. Mar 20, 2013
    They're still good games, but there's nothing overtly special about them that makes them stand out from the rest of the series or, more importantly, Black and White 1.
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Nov 15, 2012
    Pokémon Black and White 2 are the best Pokémon games thus far. The amount of activities you can participate in is delightful, the storyline surprisingly engaging, and the new gym design fun. The biggest complaint stems from the horrible implementation of new difficulty levels. I loved the idea of having a harder difficulty for my quest, but implementing it only in one game of the pair, and even then unlocking it after I've actually played through the game, is simply old fashioned and bad game design. [Nov 2012]
  3. Nov 14, 2012
    Fans of Pokémon already knows what to expect from this game, and it has as usual the same high quality standard we are spoiled with. The lack of new regions or a lot more Pokémon's makes the game feel a little bit too familiar with the previous one, so much that I would call this an extremely well done expansion rather than a new game.