Pokemon White Version 2 DS

8.5

1. Oct 9, 2012
    I would love to give this game more than a 7, but sadly I just can't. The reason why is not because this isn't a solid RPG or its just an average game but its because Gamefreak continue to play it safe. Out of these 'Version 2's' I expected something more innovative, new and fresh. The game has a nice presentation style and graphics package for a DS game but the problem is with the sameI would love to give this game more than a 7, but sadly I just can't. The reason why is not because this isn't a solid RPG or its just an average game but its because Gamefreak continue to play it safe. Out of these 'Version 2's' I expected something more innovative, new and fresh. The game has a nice presentation style and graphics package for a DS game but the problem is with the same tried and tested formula which although is very solid for many fans others will be less satisfied. Sadly I'm one of those who are less satisfied which is dissapointing as this is a franchise I love. But above all else the same tried and tested formula doesn't excite me anymore. + If your a diehard fan of the franchise this game will still be a solid, and long enough experience
    + Nice presentation style for a DS game
    + RE-introduction of some staple mainstays.
    - Not deviating enough from the formula of Black and White
    +/- Same old Pokemon
    In summary a solid game that has hours of content but never really reaches the levels of excitement and fun seen in previous Pokemon titles and feels a bit like a retread through Unova. Still worth a buy if you love Pokemon though.
  2. Sep 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The general story is ok but the way you progress forward is just unimaginative and awful; In all other pokemon games there would be a few instances where your path would be blocked by a HM obstacle or other special circumstance that was part of the story i.e a snorlax, sudowoodo etc. Then you would do logical things to proceed. In this game you have no idea what you have to trigger to get the boat captain to talk to you or move that one guy that keeps blocking your path for no reason.
    The range of pokemon are below average; all the new imaginative ones are only accessible after the league. The majority available at badges 1-6 are boring plant types, stupid ice cream cones etc. There are a few decent ones from older generations (that you may already be bored with) early game but you know everyone else will train up the same ones; arcanine, lucario, the ground-dragon. There's a lame array of flying types, another pidgey clone, an aerodactyl variant. The only other legitimate choices to experiment with are a shiny reindeer, the zaroak dark type and a cool looking electric bug.
    I hope the reason this was so lame -reusing the same assets as the previous game- was because most of their team was busy working on X&Y all along
  3. LHy
    Sep 28, 2013
    Enjoyed it all around except I was not really keen on the story line, it could of been a lot better in my opinion, but other than that, pretty okay game, try it out.
  4. Dec 26, 2012
    I'll admit that I dislike most pokemon that appeared after Silver and Gold but I still bought all of the games and I did enjoy playing them, even if my pokemon looked like a lab experiment gone wrong! I managed to get through White but couldn't bring myself to go another lap around the Pokemon White track. Now I've faced my biggest challenge of all, Pokemon White Version 2... I had myI'll admit that I dislike most pokemon that appeared after Silver and Gold but I still bought all of the games and I did enjoy playing them, even if my pokemon looked like a lab experiment gone wrong! I managed to get through White but couldn't bring myself to go another lap around the Pokemon White track. Now I've faced my biggest challenge of all, Pokemon White Version 2... I had my doubts when I bought the game and to be honest I shouldn't have tried it but I made that mistake and I can honestly say that this was Terrible. Pokemon is about being able to like your pokemon and be happy and a little proud at how well you're little guys are doing, this game made me want to drown each and every one of the ugly critters. What happened to pokemon that looked cool or cute? Now we have pokemon that are just blobs stuck together and make pained gargling sounds.
    The new Rival system that seems to have come about is tedious as I don't feel the need to beat them like I once did, Oaks grandson thought he was the sun and we all revolved around him, I played that game not to be the best trainer but to knock him from his high horse. When I played Silver my rival was a crook who I was determined to show the error of his ways, even Ruby, which had your rival as a friend was great as it felt fresh and like a new direction. Now we receive the same back story almost like the developers are scared of inter human violence! The game is about animal beating the stuffing out of each other for crying out loud! There are many issues that I have with this game but the bottom line is that I find it unplayable. I am not interested in the pokemon or the characters and I couldn't care less if the Unova region sank into the sea. The thing I realised from this game is that 'Just because you have millions of ideas, doesn't mean you need to show them all off as sometime it destroys what you already had'
    Of course this is just my view on the game. I will always think that the Kento and Johto pokemon are the best.

#2 Most Discussed DS Game of 2012
#3 Most Shared DS Game of 2012

1. Mar 20, 2013
    They're still good games, but there's nothing overtly special about them that makes them stand out from the rest of the series or, more importantly, Black and White 1.
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Nov 15, 2012
    Pokémon Black and White 2 are the best Pokémon games thus far. The amount of activities you can participate in is delightful, the storyline surprisingly engaging, and the new gym design fun. The biggest complaint stems from the horrible implementation of new difficulty levels. I loved the idea of having a harder difficulty for my quest, but implementing it only in one game of the pair, and even then unlocking it after I've actually played through the game, is simply old fashioned and bad game design. [Nov 2012]
  3. Nov 14, 2012
    Fans of Pokémon already knows what to expect from this game, and it has as usual the same high quality standard we are spoiled with. The lack of new regions or a lot more Pokémon's makes the game feel a little bit too familiar with the previous one, so much that I would call this an extremely well done expansion rather than a new game.