8.5

1. Oct 23, 2012
    I don't have to much to say about this game, except for the fact that I think it is pretty damn good, and that any Pokemon fan would be a fool not to get it.
  2. Oct 25, 2012
    I am shocked. The series has really gone downhill since the 3rd generation, and I expected this to be as bad as black and white. I took the risk anyway and got this game and after beating it I have realized that this may very well be the best Pokemon game of the entire series. It had so many improvements and key features removed from previous games. The story was far better than expected, the Elite Four was a huge improvement from the last game, the gyms were far more interesting to go through, the rival is far more likable, and most of all the regions are all mixed together in this game. From the very beginning generation 1 Pokemon are able to be caught as well as 2-5. I have to say, I've played since Blue version and I never expected something this good. Expand
  3. Oct 15, 2012
    Amazing game. Franchise veterans will love the extremely polished mechanics like the simplification of nature breeding, better pacing, and achievement system (Medals). Younger gamers and newcomers will find the presentation quite astonishing, especially for a DS title. The 3D cut scenes are really cool and will blow you away. Lots of replay value, beautiful in-game sprites, the World Tournament, the new Move Tutors, hidden burrows, incredible music, gym layouts, and many other simple tweaks like the sunlight blinding you when you come out of a building or cave make this game a perfect one in my eyes. It is the ultimate realization of the Pokémon formula. Expand
  4. Oct 9, 2012
    The recent release of Pocket Monsters Black Version 2 and Pocket Monsters White Version 2 in Japan was a pre-empted shock to those outside the world of Pokémon. Along with the summer arrival came the remorse (as its similarity to HeartGold and SoulSilver, themselves remakes, is striking) of the previous games. Pokémon Black Version 2 and Pokémon White Version 2 are set two years after the fall of N and Team Plasma, with characters, concepts, and Pokémon never before seen. The story takes place at the same region, Unova, but with a different rival. Also, one of the rivals from the previous game, Cheren, is now a Gym Leader.

These games also have a new facility known as the Pokémon World Tournament. Not only does this feature allow players to battle every gym leader, as well as champion, from every region (with the exclusion of Koga), but it also changes the battle theme for each opponent they face, upgrading them from memories lost to memories regained, and transforms the game itself into a battle-field fit for all players of all genders and generations, making for a never-ending TRUE Pokémon battle between masters!
  5. Nov 5, 2012
    Best Pokemon game ever. The story is very intriguing & will make you ask what would happen next. The best part is the contents of the game. You won't get bored with this.
  6. Nov 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Deffo the best pokemon game of the series that's out there. Although it is set in Unova again, the storyline is completley different. It's set two years after the events of N and Team Plasma. However Team Plasma are still there they are now run by Ghetsis and N has turned good. Another thing I liked about this game is that you can get all three of the legendary trios just by playing through the game. The battles are still fun and maybe slighlty easier than Pokemon B/W. But in all this is a fantastic game. Expand
  7. Nov 18, 2012
    Was not happy with the original Pokemon Black/ White, but with Version 2, Nintendo can be proud that they finally made one of the best Pokemon versions on the NDS. It will never beat the originals, but this is possibly the closest they can get. Cannot wait for the 3DS versions hopefully!
  8. Feb 9, 2013
    It's got the really good enviroment of Black/White.With the really okayish pokemon of Black/White and the really good ones from all the other generations.One of the better of Pokemon DS games.
  9. Apr 3, 2013
    The best Pokemon game ever released to date with tons of content and new storyline.
    Wether you are new to Pokemon or a Pokemon Master this game is an outstanding portable experience.
  10. Jul 10, 2013
    Many new features from black and white. Everyone is saying how ugly these critters have gotten, but might I remind you not all gen 1 pokemon are perfect either. Loosen up! It's a very nice, fun, heart warming, and enjoyable game.
  11. Sep 20, 2013
    Ever since I first picked up Pokémon Pearl as my first Pokémon game ever, I'd fallen in love with the series. While I do admit Black and White 1 were kind of a let down compared to the rest of the series, I simply cannot say the same for Black and White 2. Let's face it, the Unova region was a line in the first versions. However, in Black and White 2, the Unova region has more twists and turns and routes while still clinging to its hexagonal roots. Hidden Grottoes were a way more fun way to get hidden ability pokemon compared to the somewhat tedious act of having to transfer them from your computer. Join Avenue was a really cool addition seeing that you could customize your shops to your liking. The key system is awesome seeing that you could either up the challenge or lower it. The story is very interesting seeing that it's a direct sequel to Black and White 1 and while you don't need to have played the first ones to understand the story, you'd certainly get more out of it. The Unova region finally has obtainable pokemon from other generations before the Pokémon League, something its predecessors lacked. And while I could go on listing things I like about for a while, let's get to what they got wrong. Honestly there isn't much they got wrong this time around. Other than the still stupid AI even in Challenge mode, and the return of the infamous C-Gear, there isn't anything really I have to complain about; except Garbordor. You really messed up there. While it still clings to its roots and the title alone seems like it'll be a rip off, you'll find something in here that you love, whether you're returning from Black and White or just starting out. It isn't perfect, but it's sure a rerun worth more than what you'd paid for it. I give this game a 9.5/10. Expand
  12. Mar 6, 2013
    Although not as good as the first game in terms of storyline and impact to the series however this game offers a large amount of content which goes along well with a storyline that needed some sort of ending and not a cliffhanger from the first game. Even if you havent played the first game you can easily jump into this game as it is user friendly for the most part for all fans old and new. Enjoy this good addition to the pokemon universe and one of the last GOOD RPGs to be released on the NDS. Expand
  13. Jan 25, 2013
    Advancing on the already set up story in White & Black, Pokemon B/W2 steps more int he right direction for the series. With harder challenges, and interesting tournament mode, and mix of Pokemon from all regions, going back to Unova already isn't as bad as it seems.
  14. Oct 8, 2012
    Pokemon BW2 is an excellent game. With new characters, new music, new locations, "new" pokemon (pokemon from previous generations, unlike the Unova-specific preE4 roster from BW) and a new plot, it's quite fun. All locations have changed in some way or another, whether it's adding new buildings/gyms, to revamping cities, to completely new cities, and it's nice to see how it had developed over the two years (in addition, the cities and towns are the largest yet). Another neat thing to notice are the gyms - what they lost in complexity (which was a bit disappointing), they gained in originality and character. Each gym has its own exclusive track (from Elesa's fabulous "Are you ready?" electronic theme, to Burgh's cool, creepy (and by far my favorite) one)), and have great setup.

Gamefreak also added in tons of things to keep you busy, whether it's collecting the 200+ medals (the equivalent of achievements or trophies), to making movies in Pokestar studios, to playing Funfest Missions, challenging the towers in White Forest/Black City, and finally challenging the top trainers in the World Tournament. Of course, some of the features from BW return in this game, such as the Musical Contests and the Battle Subway.

Along with the large features, Pokemon BW2 really shines in the details. Tiny things, like sunbeams shining whenever you come out of a building, to moving NPC sprites (finally!), to the "battle platforms" for your Pokemon (simple coloured circles, be gone! Depending on your location, you can get grass gently blowing in the wind, to rippling waves, etc.) all add a sense of pleasure and detail to your playthrough that had never been seen before (at least, it does for me - I love small details like that). New Hidden Hollows, areas where you can catch Pokemon with their hidden abilities, are also a joy to discover.

There are a couple of downsides to BW2, however - first of all, because the selection of Pokemon at the beginning is so varied and, well, good, I found the playthrough to be a bit easy compared to previous games. I have not yet touched the Challenge Key, but that will hopefully solve the difficulty curve once I acquire it (still, the wide variety of Pokemon can offer you different gameplays, if you are one to plan your team ahead of time). Another thing that really bothered me was the dialogue and general plot progression. It's so incredibly clunky and badly written that I found myself wincing more than once (and even at one point believing that my game had miraculously become bootleg). As some people have mentioned, it isn't as 'fresh' as BW - but do you honestly expect it to be? Keep in mind, this is the equivalent of Platinum, or Emerald - it's leagues ahead of any Grey version we might have gotten, and all of the changes still ignite the feeling of exploration, albeit not as much (and please don't complain about there not being any new Pokemon - this is not a new generation!)

Still, this game is another incredibly fun romp through the land of Unova. The upsides greatly outweigh the downsides of this game, which are minuscule (with exception of that dialogue! What happened to you, translation team?) I fully recommend that you get it. Why not?
  15. Dec 24, 2012
    I've always been a massive fan of the Pokemon series, so I guess it might be a little biased. But I absolutely love this game. New features like Pokestar Studios might be a little unnecessary, but the game itself is a triumph. I'm still addicted after months of getting it.
  16. Nov 4, 2012
    Pokemon White 2

Yes, yes. We get it. Read any review of any Pokemon game ever and you will hear much of the same thing. It's just the same game. The same old formula, re-skinned and re-released to try and make more money. They're not just milking the cow dry but beating it with a stick. And to that I have to agree. In the newest installment, you won't find anything that re-invents
    the series. This game feels and plays just like all of the other Pokemon games. that being said it should be easy to decide if this game is something worth your time or money on. if you've liked Pokemon in the past, chances are you will like this game. If you've never enjoyed them, this isn't going to change your mind. What it does have, is enough new content and challenges for someone who has never missed an installment to enjoy, as well as give newcomers a fresh perspective of the series.

Right off the bat this game feels a little different. It's not the exact cut and paste adventure that most of the games have become. You start off in a larger city. A professor doesn't give you a Pokemon, her assistant does. I realize that these are minor differences that wouldn't even be worth mentioning as a change in most game series, but it does make the game feel fresh. The first big change comes fast, however. The Pokemon you will find inhabiting the first few areas are not what you would expect. Instead of a bird and some other rat or beaver from the current generation, you are confronted by all sorts of Pokemon spanning multiple generations. I found myself feeling anxious every time I entered a battle, wondering what the next monster will be. This is a feeling that, in my opinion, has not been felt by gamers since the first installment of the series. Whenever you can capture a feeling like that for the first time in years, you have to give the developer props. After that the game continues on like you would expect it to. Catching new companions, fighting gym leaders, being the good guy. You've done this all before and the game does feel a little easy at times. The story isn't going to grab you're interest either. A new feature that seems to really make the game more enjoyable is the medal system. Aka- achievements. There are around 200 in game medals that as a player, gave me a reason to want to get to the end game faster. As in most Pokemon games, a good deal of the game occurs after you become champion and defeat the elite four. The battle subway makes a return, as does the Black City/White Forest from the last game. These give players who want a challenge just that. Only the most carefully bred and raised Pokemon will be able to beat the later levels of the subway. Mix that with the ability to change the difficulty, a first ever for the series, and you won't be cruising through these parts.
    Now I've saved the best for last, in my opinion. The Pokemon World Tournament, or PWT, is a new feature of the game and one of the best ever introduced into the series. You are able to enter a single elimination tournament with virtually every gym leader, elite four, and champion spanning all five generations. Remember how great it felt to beat Giovanni back in the day? Want a chance to go up against Brock or Misty again? Their all here and man are they ready for a fight. If you thought the battle subway was hard, you haven't seen anything. The amount of strategies and thought required here trumps even the most in depth and complicated RPGs to date. If you want a challenge, they given it to you. Wrapping it up now, this is a good game. It's slow at times and is, for the most part, the same game that you have played ten times before. But if you're a fan of the series and want a challenge, there may not be a better Pokemon game for you. 9 out of 10
  17. Mar 24, 2013
    When a new Pokemon game comes out I'm always worried about the "futuristic" news in it, this game is not an exception: technology, big cities, Yes, I'm a fan of good old Pokemon days.
    By the way this White Two seems quite good, enjoyable to play, nice story behind it.

18. Feb 9, 2013
    The game has one of the best plot lines. You have the two sides plasma and N and this is because of the previous game two years later. I dont want to spoil anything but there are some sweet bosses and many plasma memorable locations. Now many people say its the same as the previous game but most cities and every gym not including the new cities and routes and hidden grottos, but everything has been repolished. This game is awesome. Now I dont give it a 10 because I think nintendo was planning on having this for the 3ds given that it does have some 3d cutscenes which i think look very bad because lets face it even the dsi had some pretty bad graphical programings. Although besides the graphics I loved this game and look forward to X and Y. Expand
  19. Mar 24, 2013
    A very good mid generation release.This game is everything a Pokemon game should be!.It's fun and there is tons of Pokemon to train and battle with but when it comes to the story the story for Pokemon White 2 seems very meh compared to that of Pokemon White (which had a very engaging story line)
  20. Oct 7, 2012
    A game that packs more punch than it would appear on the surface. For the first time in franchise's history, the traditional "third version" feels like an actual new adventure instead of the same experience repackaged. For starters, the dex got massively expanded - a whopping 150 Pokemon (more than ever before) were added to the Unova Pokedex, including fan-favourites such as Growlithe and Eevee. Picking your final 6 of such a massive collection is nothing short of a challenge, and greatly contributes to the series already excellent replayability. The way you progress through the map is also very different - several new zones were added, and on top of that, each of the old zones got nicely redesigned, making them feel fresh. The game is also feels a bit less linear than BW - there are more caves, hidden secrets, more non-obligatory routes and places (like a haunted house). However, several problems, some of which were present in BW1, still remain unsolved. Musicals only "advantage" is that you're not forced to play them this time around. The hyped Pokemon World Tournament is frankly a poor man's Battle Frontier - no amount of fanservice is going to hide the fact that it's a compilation of easy, boring battles that any half-competent player will breeze through in 10 minutes tops. Online service is still mediocre at best - Dream World should only be played by total masochists, Random Match-ups are marred by disconnectors and cheaters, while Global trade station still allows for ridiculous things such as the famed lv.9 Reshiram (not legally obtainable by any means!). Despite this, Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 remain a great addition to the DS collection, and a game that hopefully all future "third versions" will follow suit. Expand
  21. Nov 2, 2012
    In comparison with Pokemon Black and White, versions 2 give more than enough additional content and catchable Pokemon early in the game to make them feel brand new, yet it has enough references and similarities to make it at least a sequel. Pros: Pokemon from previous generations are made available throughout the game; Zorua is easily attainable; Wi-Fi connectivity offers a ton of multiplayer value; one of the most visually delightful Pokemon games to date. Cons: As with Black and White, lots of unnecessarily forced dialogue; formulaic for those who want refreshing gameplay. Expand
  22. Mar 14, 2013
    They would have to try really hard to make a bad game in the Pokemon main series. I have played every single iteration of the game, and it never gets old. Which is surprising, given that the storyline is pretty much always the same (small town kid becomes Pokemon champion while thwarting the plans of a criminal organization). It would be cool to get some insane twist on this formula, but alas, we'll have to wait at least until the next generation for that.

What pushes Pokemon White Version 2 ahead is that it is, arguably, the best sequel to an original Pokemon game released thus far. That's because, for the first time, it actually succeeds in feeling like a sequel. You can synchronize it with your White or Black Version 1 games so that the events in your previous adventure are actually remembered by the people here, and that's very cool.

Other than that, it's the same Pokemon action we all know and love, and that means hours and hours of light-hearted fun.
  23. Oct 9, 2012
    I would love to give this game more than a 7, but sadly I just can't. The reason why is not because this isn't a solid RPG or its just an average game but its because Gamefreak continue to play it safe. Out of these 'Version 2's' I expected something more innovative, new and fresh. The game has a nice presentation style and graphics package for a DS game but the problem is with the same tried and tested formula which although is very solid for many fans others will be less satisfied. Sadly I'm one of those who are less satisfied which is dissapointing as this is a franchise I love. But above all else the same tried and tested formula doesn't excite me anymore. + If your a diehard fan of the franchise this game will still be a solid, and long enough experience
    + Nice presentation style for a DS game
    + RE-introduction of some staple mainstays.
    - Not deviating enough from the formula of Black and White
    +/- Same old Pokemon
    In summary a solid game that has hours of content but never really reaches the levels of excitement and fun seen in previous Pokemon titles and feels a bit like a retread through Unova. Still worth a buy if you love Pokemon though.
  24. LHy
    Sep 28, 2013
    Enjoyed it all around except I was not really keen on the story line, it could of been a lot better in my opinion, but other than that, pretty okay game, try it out.
  25. Sep 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The general story is ok but the way you progress forward is just unimaginative and awful; In all other pokemon games there would be a few instances where your path would be blocked by a HM obstacle or other special circumstance that was part of the story i.e a snorlax, sudowoodo etc. Then you would do logical things to proceed. In this game you have no idea what you have to trigger to get the boat captain to talk to you or move that one guy that keeps blocking your path for no reason.
    The range of pokemon are below average; all the new imaginative ones are only accessible after the league. The majority available at badges 1-6 are boring plant types, stupid ice cream cones etc. There are a few decent ones from older generations (that you may already be bored with) early game but you know everyone else will train up the same ones; arcanine, lucario, the ground-dragon. There's a lame array of flying types, another pidgey clone, an aerodactyl variant. The only other legitimate choices to experiment with are a shiny reindeer, the zaroak dark type and a cool looking electric bug.
    I hope the reason this was so lame -reusing the same assets as the previous game- was because most of their team was busy working on X&Y all along
  26. Dec 26, 2012
    I'll admit that I dislike most pokemon that appeared after Silver and Gold but I still bought all of the games and I did enjoy playing them, even if my pokemon looked like a lab experiment gone wrong! I managed to get through White but couldn't bring myself to go another lap around the Pokemon White track. Now I've faced my biggest challenge of all, Pokemon White Version 2... I had my doubts when I bought the game and to be honest I shouldn't have tried it but I made that mistake and I can honestly say that this was Terrible. Pokemon is about being able to like your pokemon and be happy and a little proud at how well you're little guys are doing, this game made me want to drown each and every one of the ugly critters. What happened to pokemon that looked cool or cute? Now we have pokemon that are just blobs stuck together and make pained gargling sounds.
    The new Rival system that seems to have come about is tedious as I don't feel the need to beat them like I once did, Oaks grandson thought he was the sun and we all revolved around him, I played that game not to be the best trainer but to knock him from his high horse. When I played Silver my rival was a crook who I was determined to show the error of his ways, even Ruby, which had your rival as a friend was great as it felt fresh and like a new direction. Now we receive the same back story almost like the developers are scared of inter human violence! The game is about animal beating the stuffing out of each other for crying out loud! There are many issues that I have with this game but the bottom line is that I find it unplayable. I am not interested in the pokemon or the characters and I couldn't care less if the Unova region sank into the sea. The thing I realised from this game is that 'Just because you have millions of ideas, doesn't mean you need to show them all off as sometime it destroys what you already had'
    Of course this is just my view on the game. I will always think that the Kento and Johto pokemon are the best.

1. Mar 20, 2013
    They're still good games, but there's nothing overtly special about them that makes them stand out from the rest of the series or, more importantly, Black and White 1.
  2. Nov 15, 2012
    Pokémon Black and White 2 are the best Pokémon games thus far. The amount of activities you can participate in is delightful, the storyline surprisingly engaging, and the new gym design fun. The biggest complaint stems from the horrible implementation of new difficulty levels. I loved the idea of having a harder difficulty for my quest, but implementing it only in one game of the pair, and even then unlocking it after I've actually played through the game, is simply old fashioned and bad game design. [Nov 2012]
  3. Nov 14, 2012
    Fans of Pokémon already knows what to expect from this game, and it has as usual the same high quality standard we are spoiled with. The lack of new regions or a lot more Pokémon's makes the game feel a little bit too familiar with the previous one, so much that I would call this an extremely well done expansion rather than a new game.