8.0

1. Mar 14, 2011
    I have played Pokemon for a very long time. I told myself that this game would be no different to the ones that came before it. I can't believe I ever thought that. This game is new and fun and full of surprises! I can't wait to get my 3DS in the mail and pop this into it, that will be the first thing I do. This game has replay value out the back and I can't wait to buy my second copy. Well done Nintendo. Expand
  2. Apr 6, 2011
    Pokemon Black and White is the most original and refreshing entry in the series since Pokemon's first inception. Over ten years have passed since I was first exposed to my Blue version, and the series is still going strong. Game Freak is a truly amazing developer, with their uncanny ability to rejuvenate what is essentially a bunch of rock-paper-scissors battle. Pokemon is still one of the most enriching and addicting RPGs out there. Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2011
    I posted a review of Black and so I thought I would post a similar one for White since I have both but instead of copying my other one I am going to cover some of the features on this one I did not on my review of Black.. I really liked how they added triple battles and rotation battles but tri type pokemon would have been nice. Another thing that would have been nice is a dragon Evveeloution but it is forgivable. The camera has some cool angles but it is a little overhyped. Zekrom and Reshiram are cool but the elemental legendaries which have those weird names one is which is a fire tpye is pretty weird. As for graphics they were improved but not earth shattering. Full 3d like in Battle Revolution would be nice. As well as Pokemon appearing in the over world with no need to walk through grass but you cannot have it all. The sound is good but not as classic or as awesome as HG/SS but it is still a worthy effort and a great rethinking of the series that comes a little short of perfection. I give both versions a 9/10 Expand
  4. Mar 9, 2011
    So close to perfect. The gameplay mechanics have been tweaked beautifully and the world to explore is vast and fresh, triple battles add a whole lot more strategy to the game and the graphics are gorgeously simplistic (nice to see the return of pixelated close-up sprites, blast from the past from Pokemon Yellow right there). It's just a shame that a few of the new pokemon feel rushed and weak.
  5. Apr 21, 2011
    Looking back on the Pokemon series, its easy to claim that Gamefreak hasn't made very many changes. That was never more apparent than in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. It was disappointing and over all, the game felt stale, with hardly any new pokemon worth caring about. Thankfully, Black and White have solved all of these problems. The game is longer, the pokemon are better, and everything looks and feels new and exciting. It seems like its been years since I've cared about pokemon and this game has pulled me right back in. Of course, its a very similar game as you still move from town to town, defeating trainer after trainer and gym after gym. However, now with new pokemon and a bigger emphasis on exploration rather than HM moves, it all feels much better. Even if you're a jaded game, Pokemon Black/White does a lot to pull you back in. Expand
  6. Apr 13, 2011
    I love this game, Pokemon has always been my favorite video game franchise, and White was the first game I ever preordered and rushed to the store on launch day for, and I am not at all disapointed with the final product. The graphics are similar to previous DS installments, but are given new life with cool camera angles and full animations for every single Pokemon, whitch made all 156 new ones look great and gives the previous 493 a new life. Gameplay is the same, but there was never anything wrong with it in the first place. To sum it up, if you own a DS, or even just bought a new 3DS, this is the game to get. Expand
  7. Mar 16, 2011
    I've had more fun and enjoyment with this game than Dragon Age II for the PC. My introductory to Pokemon was Blue for the Game Boy when I was a kid. As an adult now, I tried White and it made me reminiscent the fond memories and good times of Blue. As one reviewer has truthfully stated, this game does have the reply value and you'd instantaneously be addicted easily. Nothing really more needs to be said as the three reviewers below my review have said it nicely and an accurate spot on. I'm a gamer who feels Pokemon exceeds to all ages and not kids, This is a solid rpg with strategy elements on the handheld. White and Black are definitely a DS title to pick up and you'd get your money's worth. Recommended to everyone. Expand
  8. Feb 11, 2012
    This is the first REAL Pokemon game I have played and I knew it wasn't going to disappoint and it didn't.. But there really is nothing else to do after beating the Elite Four and it is very easy, and it's only the first time of played. Still very good though.
  9. Dec 11, 2011
    Easily the best pokemon games to date. The pokemon are the most original pokemon we've seen since generation 2. I would also say these are the most difficult pokemon games, although they're still easy. I didn't like the attempt to incorporate a story more so than the other pokemon games did, but that's not why I play these games. Also the new graphics are nice but again, nobody plays pokemon for the graphics. The core reasons to play a pokemon game are all there, such as new pokemon, new world to explore, new secret areas / secrets to find, new legendary pokemon to seek out in interesting ways, new gym leaders and battles, etc. Expand
  10. Mar 25, 2011
    This game is the bomb. all 556 pokemon In the game the new poke transfer is awsome its almost as good as heartgold and soulsilver but ive been playing pokemon since fire red and this is the third best. First soulsilve secend ruby third black and white
  11. Jul 15, 2011
    Pokemon White is a great game. The story is actually a story, and the best of the series so far. The villains, Team Plasma, actually have some character, in that they are fighting FOR pokemon, to free them from captivity. The graphics are great for the DS, and good for any platform, even though many of us resent that Oshawott shows up so clearly. The new pokemon for the most part are great, though many are awkward in shape, appearance, or both. (Trubbish) However, after you spend some time with these aforementioned "ugly" pokemon, you get used to them, and they aren't really that ugly anymore. (Except for Trubbish, there's no saving him) the gameplay is Pokemon, that hasn't changed. There are now two rivals, so one you will have an advantage over, while the other still has the advantage over you. It is a nice touch to have the rivals as the characters friends, building upon that found in Ruby/Saphire/Emerald. there are a few new moves that you'll have to familiarize yourself with, as well as some new type combinations. The new pokemon are cool, and even the hideous ones are okay after a while. The new region is fun to explore, and the story is the best of the series. (Except Coliseum, but that's a console) And the new pokemon are great. Basically, pokemon lovers and children up to the age of 14, get this game! Expand
  12. Apr 13, 2011
    Pokemon is the best rpg type games of all time.Pokemon White really is a improvement from all the other Pokemon games.With new never before seen Pokemon just makes the game better.There is a few Pokemon that are more like animals than real Pokemon but the rest are normal Pokemon.
  13. Apr 17, 2011
    For someone who's played every generation since Red and Blue, I was certainly someone who was looking forward to a bit of change to the old formula after so many years, which to honest Black and White don't really give. What they do give is a great continuation of the series, and surprised so many including myself that the game's formula still has a lot of aces up its sleeve that were to be added! To be fair some of the new Pokemon designs were a bit... meh but the gameplay was as solid as ever - polished and tweaked to make it what it is. It's not going to turn the Poke-hater into the Poke-lover but it's without a doubt the best Pokemon around. Only question is where do Nintendo go from here? Expand
  14. Apr 20, 2011
    This is by far the greatest Pokemon game yet. Nintendo has improved absolutely everything. From story to Wi-Fi to the amount of Pokemon storage. Other then a couple new Pokemon that seem a little stupid this game is great. Go buy it now.
  15. Jun 15, 2011
    Normally, I'm not a huge Pokemon fan, and this is the first game I've played since Red Version and I'm pleased to say that I'm very impressed. In a way this is an entirely new introduction to Pokemon because of the lack of previously known/used Pokemon, and therefore it feels newer and more original instead of the supposed same old battle and level up crap. This has a story that makes more sense to me than the show ever did, and now I'm more interested in the games and will hunt down previous versions just to see if they live up to this surprise from a game that sparked a cartoon series and trading card game that I despised. This really is a good game and the mixture of 2D characters and 3D environments works extremely well visually and the pacing is quick enough to keep my interest with little to no irksome breaks in action. If you have a DS, this is certainly worth getting. Expand
  16. Jun 18, 2011
    One of the best pokemon games i have played in a long time. This game has a lot of new features and new pokemon. Plus all the pokemon there are new pokemon which give a new sense of adventure.
  17. Aug 13, 2011
    An excellent game like its many predecessors and it brings some interesting new concepts to the series. However, the exclusive area, "White Forest" and in this game's counterpart, "Black City" were big disappointments. But I still enjoyed this game immensely.
  18. Aug 29, 2011
    Going into Pokemon White after not having played a Pokemon game since Ruby, part of me felt skeptical that this was going to be a complete copy and paste of Diamond/Pearl, with better graphics and new Pokemon. However, it is much more than that.
    First of all, the story has been given A LOT of care this time round, and it shows. This time, it's Team Plasma that you have to stop, this time
    being a Pokemon version of PETA, wanting to let all Pokemon be free and away from humans. The story isn't what you'd call 'award-winning', but it did keep me going all the way to the end.
    They did also improve the graphics and add new Pokemon, as well. The graphics don't look that much different to the fourth generation, but have been made more 3D with different camera angles and makes the Unova region feel more alive than any other region in the series. The new Pokemon, however, are kind of a mixed bag. There are certainly good ones, such as the three starters and their evolutions, Zekrom and Reshiram shown on the front covers as well as Zoura and Zoroark. However, ones such as Klink and Vanillish seem like Game Freak are reaching the end of the barrel. The gameplay has been slightly changed too. The combat feels a bit faster and the animations look pretty great, even if the Pokemon graphics look a bit pixelated. There are even small details, such as a shiny Pokemon glistening and a sleeping Pokemon closing their eyes. There has also been some music changes, such as a small remix of the original beeping sound whenever your current Pokemon's health gets into the red. But the satisfying crunch of a super effective hit and the disappointing bump of a non-effective hit are still there. Oh, and Team Plasma's theme? Awesome. That's all I can say.

Overall, if you're a fan of Pokemon, you probably have this game by now, and if you don't, you really should.
    If you're someone that complains about Pokemon 'not being the same' or 'having too many Pokemon', then try it out. From start to end of the story, it's JUST the new Pokemon. Some may not like that at first, but you'll probably get used to it at the end.
    I wouldn't recommend this to critics of Pokemon in terms of the gameplay, because it's only a slight change since Diamond/Pearl. In my opinion, though, this is the best Pokemon game since the first generation. And that should mean a lot.
  19. Apr 2, 2012
    Not only are black and white the best of the series, but they are some of the greatest games ever created for the Nintendo DS. They are true masterpieces because of improved graphics, area, battle system, amount of creatures, and even small editions such as triple battles and c-gear.
  20. Nov 22, 2011
    Pokemon White is one of Nintendo's 5th generation Pokemon games, released on the NDS early 2011. The game has come a long way, featuring many elements from the previous generation, and along with that features a new graphic scheme, new features never before seen in the pokemon series and includes a whole new set of Pokemon to collect. Fans will surely love this game as it reboots the series pretty much with all new pokemon, a new region and a complete make over storyline that will be remembered for years. Fans who were disappointed with the 4th generation will surely love this game as it fixes many of the problems that the 4th generation had and strays away from the generic storyline that was used in previous installments. Expand
  21. Jul 23, 2013
    My absolute favorite Pokemon game! So many new features, awesome Pokemon, and awesome music too! Just an amazing must have game for any DS owner or Pokemon fan! In my top 5 fav games ever! The Unova region is awesome, but I liked Sinnoh more. The gym leaders are cool and the elite 4 are awesome, as is their music! What r u waiting for? Buy this game now!
  22. May 1, 2012
    Pokemon white version is an awesome RPG, its different (that isn't a bad thing), they've changed it a lot! Its better than the Pokemon games in the past, I can't believe how good it is, its got triple battles, double battles in the grass, much bigger places, a big map, very cool new Pokemon, much better graphics and much more great new things!
  23. Feb 13, 2012
    I have played Pokemon for a long time. It has new Pokemon, moves, items and even more.This is the sixth generation of Pokemon. That's a pretty long evolution of the game.
  24. Aug 28, 2012
    The best Pokémon game yet. Gameplay is central to any videogame, and that aspect is so polished in this game that battling your way through it is a blast. Graphics have never been Game Freak's focus, but they get the job done. Here's hoping that when they make the transition to 3DS, they make good use of the hardware. You did it again, Game Freak!
  25. Apr 14, 2012
    This game is Pokemon, plain and simple. If that is not your style, turn away now. If you only like the first few generations, turn away now. This game is for those who are young, young at heart, or simply like a fun and rewarding RPG.
  26. Jun 2, 2012
    This is easily the best Pokemon game out there. With online features that finally allow you to battle random people online. There is also a good 649 to catch, train, and trade. The Pokemon designs this time around are also really good. With so many new features that just improve the Pokemon series it is hard not to like it.
  27. Jan 31, 2014
    Story & Characters: 8/10
    With the improved 3D effect Game Freak is able portray a much more cinematic story than was possible in past games. Unlike past games the villainous gang have an interesting goal other than to simply steal Pokémon out of greed. Team Plasma believes they are good guys trying to protect Pokémon from the cruelty of human ownership. However it doesn’t make much sense
    why they themselves use Pokémon to accomplish this goal. Although this is an interesting twist on the signature Pokémon storyline it is never really developed into a meaningful conclusion.

Like the past few titles the player has more than one rival, a friend from your home town and an evil rival. Black and White takes this further, the player now has two friends who battle and assist the player throughout the game. These characters however are very dull when compared to Wally or Blue. The main villain and rival “N” however is a breath of air with a great back story and interesting dialogue.

Visuals & Sound: 10/10
    Black and White looks radically different to past games in the series introducing 3D like effect perhaps leading up to a 3DS version. This graphical update is the biggest leap in the series since the move from GBC to GBA. These 3D effects push the DS hardware to its limits but makes environments look stunning. However due to the limitations of the DS Pokémon in battles look pixelated and sometimes ugly in battles. The game includes pre-rendered cut scenes at some points in the game which look great but they are rarely shown.

Like every new generation Black and White introduces over 100 new species of Pokémon. However very few of these Pokémon look very impresssive compared to older generations. Although they do not look very appealing it seems to be the most varied generation to date and is not plagued with a particular type such as normal in Red and Blue or water in Ruby and Sapphire.

Throughout the series they have introduced intro animations were Pokémon move briefly when the battle begins only for it to be removed in the next game in the series but brought back later on. These animations return in Black & White and although they slow down battles considerably they are appreciated. Due to the longer animations during battles, random encounters are much more frustrating taking several seconds before you can flee.

Gameplay: 10/10
    Black & White keeps to the signature Pokémon formula. Although it doesn’t bring anything revolutionary to the series it is the most refined and structured Pokémon game yet. These refinements include Pokémon Centres and Poke Marts being combined into a single building and unlimited TM uses. Other than these refinements Black & White adds some slight adjustments to keep the gameplay fresh, it introduces both triple battles and rotating battles. Rotating battles contain 3 Pokémon per side which are switch into a one v one battle each getting a single move before switching, meaning players have to anticipate future switches.

Unfortunately takes you by the hand throughout the campaign introducing you to locations even after you have your first badge. I understand they have this in the game but this shouldn’t go one beyond the first 30 minutes or should at least have some way to skip it. Black & White seems to be the easiest game yet in the series due to less emphasis on team type balancing and a lack of enemy powerhouses (Milktank in Gold and Silver). Continuing with the day and night feature introduced in Generation 2 Black & White introduces seasons alter both the appearance of the environment and the types of Pokémon you can catch.

Multiplayer & Extras: 9/10
    Like the past few entries Black & White have a huge emphasis on player interaction. Early on in the game you are given a C-Gear which allows them to trade and battle with other players. Using friend codes you are able to interact with friends either wirelessly or online. However you are able to trade and battle with random players around the world online making it much more convenient to catch em all. The C-Gear also includes a past by feature which allows the player to exchange information with other players when in range.

Enjoyment: 9/10
    Although Black & White is nothing game changing it an excellent entry into the series continuing to capture the magic that was introduced in Red & Blue. Besides being Pokémon games, Black & White are excellent turn based RPGs with a huge amount of content making them an excellent purchase for any RPG fan.
  28. Jul 21, 2012
    There is so many new things introduced in this version of Pokemon. It's VERY nice that there is a fresh start and that all the pokemon are new and not cluttered with like 500 other pokemon from other versions, as seen in the previous generation. The DS graphics are better refined and less glitchy than Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. I enjoyed it a lot! Recommended!
  29. Oct 9, 2012
    In the generations of Pokémon, one color is representative of a version, be it Red and Blue or Gold and Silver. Never before were direct opposing colors used
  30. Oct 6, 2012
    I like this game a lot. I loved it like Red and Blue, which I played before I could read. Which to say was 3. I played all of them, These peopel giving it bad ratings because of not liking a few pokemon then ragi about horrible it is. If there isn't new pokemon, they'll complain about having new ones. Do people like constant remakes, year after year, instead of something new and innovative? Sure the team tried to take away all pokemon. But they explained why, because the person was misguided . (N) "Don't like this game if you liked the old one!!!" That's all these reviews. Smething new and innovative, and they thought it wasn't. I loved this game and have played all of them. I felt like I lost a friend when my old catridges didn't work any more. Expand

1. Jun 5, 2011
    Learning from the past without ever taking his eyes off the present, this is the pinnacle of the series to date and proof that sometimes you don't need a revolution to give new life to a franchise.
  2. Apr 7, 2011
    One of the best generations of Pokemon titles to date, Black & White take almost all of the best elements from the series and then carefully craft it into something truly wonderful; recreating that same sense of adventure from the very first titles.
  3. Mar 31, 2011
    Almost a franchise reboot, Pokémon Black & White is your ultimate Pokémon experience. Overall better than previous generations by any means, this new installment manages to inspire on veteran players a sense of wonder and awe gone missing years ago. The new adventure flows better and is much more intriguing and challenging but of course you are not going to change your mind if you hate Pikachu and friends.